• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

GhaleonEB said:
Aye. For the Halo 3 MP vidoc they had a dozen guys running around under one of the bases on Snowbound blowing each other up.
Heh, as my bro mentioned to Zeouterlimits earier; "Why are the four spartans running through the door all bunched up together?"

*collectively remembers the grenade launcher from a few moments before*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you look back on the Invasion mode, how many spartans are there on screen?

Invasion seems to me like Firefight, but with a lot more players that can participate. Imagine 16 even. Would that crush the 360 in its awesomeness?

I want someone to turn that red spartan into Captain Falcon, and to edit in the Falcon Punch for an gif/avatar :lol

Lazslo

Question: Do render points renew everyone month on the 1st? I have zero right now and either they haven't reset yet or my 12 months are all but a memory.

Kapura

Banned
Ssparks said:
Question: Do render points renew everyone month on the 1st? I have zero right now and either they haven't reset yet or my 12 months are all but a memory.
They reset on the monthly anniversary of your subscription renewal, so it could be any day.

EazyB

Banned
Justinian said:
Loadouts means armour ability loadouts. Not weapons.
What gives you that impression. If I forced to guess I'd say you're right but nothing is known about how the armor abilities are acquired, selected, or changed midgame. I see two weapon loadouts in the trailer, AR+pistol and DMR + pistol, don't understand why we wouldn't be able to select between the two. Having every single gametype split into two (AR opr BR starts) in Halo 3 is retarded, I don't see them going that route again. My guess is that they feel the pistol is sufficient and you won't feel as cheated when one team grabs real long range weapons and starts donging on you, that's why most gametypes will be AR+pistol starts. Hope I'm wrong and Bungie wises up. At low levels people can select the accessible AR while at higher levels they'd be able to switch over to DMR starts. Makes way too much sense though so like AR only and BR/AR starts in Halo 3 when things could be unsegregated already by having AR+BR starts across all gametypes, they'll probably force players in one direction while having the infrastructure to do otherwise.

The AR/BR complaints are easily the biggest complaints about Halo 3 MP's gameplay, it's obviously something they should've put that as the highest priority.

Dirtbag

EazyB said:
What gives you that impression. If I forced to guess I'd say you're right but nothing is known about how the armor abilities are acquired, selected, or changed midgame. I see two weapon loadouts in the trailer, AR+pistol and DMR + pistol, don't understand why we wouldn't be able to select between the two. Having every single gametype split into two (AR opr BR starts) in Halo 3 is retarded, I don't see them going that route again. My guess is that they feel the pistol is sufficient and you won't feel as cheated when one team grabs real long range weapons and starts donging on you, that's why most gametypes will be AR+pistol starts. Hope I'm wrong and Bungie wises up. At low levels people can select the accessible AR while at higher levels they'd be able to switch over to DMR starts. Makes way too much sense though so like AR only and BR/AR starts in Halo 3 when things could be unsegregated already by having AR+BR starts across all gametypes, they'll probably force players in one direction while having the infrastructure to do otherwise.

The AR/BR complaints are easily the biggest complaints about Halo 3 MP's gameplay, it's obviously something they should've put that as the highest priority.

I'm thinking a scoped pistol secondary is a fair middle ground for most gametypes.
I don't know that I mind having to scout out an even better ranged weapon in the DMR/NR as long as I have enough in the pistol that gives me a fighting chance in most situations.
Not enough is known about loadouts at this point. Would be interesting if you could choose to spawn with a DMR/Pistol, but at the cost of spawing with no immediate armor loadout in any of the typical gametypes.

I also noticed in that Arena section, that no one seemed to be wearing any armor loadouts, so I wonder if Arena denotes a more pure/classic gametype.

big ander

Dirtbag said:
I'm thinking a scoped pistol secondary is a fair middle ground for most gametypes.
I don't know that I mind having to scout out an even better ranged weapon in the DMR/NR as long as I have enough in the pistol that gives me a fighting chance in most situations.
Not enough is known about loadouts at this point. Would be interesting if you could choose to spawn with a DMR/Pistol, but at the cost of spawing with no immediate armor loadout in any of the typical gametypes.

I also noticed in that Arena section, that no one seemed to be wearing any armor loadouts, so I wonder if Arena denotes a more pure/classic gametype.
Good catch. This would be a cool playlist.

Dirtbag

I think the armor loadouts need to blend to the color scheme of the spartan a bit more.
I like that you can see them on the spartan, but I think it needs to be a darker/lighter hue of the main armor color, especially in the Red vs. Blue gametypes.

As it stands it looks like this heap of crap attached to the back of the spartan.

EazyB

Banned
Dirtbag said:
The downside to spawning with a DMR/pistol is having no AR. I mean it's supposed to be the perfect starting weapon anyways, not spawning with it could be a handicap for players that want to challenge themselves.

ZZMitch

Trasher said:
This is what I was able to come up with.
redavvy.png

That's great thanks!

Leotarius

As far as Invasion mode goes it would be awesome if:

It would be 6 Spartans versus 6 Elites. The Elite players would have help from other Covenant BOTS, NPC's whatever, and would continuously respawn for a certain amount of time (waves) or infinitely.

The Spartans would have loadout options and some pretty neat tools like health packs and such but very limited respawns. Maybe a weapons cache... Iunno I'm rambling.. point is this mode or maybe another mode like it would have the potential of being the ultimate Halo MP experience.

Dirtbag

EazyB said:
The downside to spawning with a DMR/pistol is having no AR. I mean it's supposed to be the perfect starting weapon anyways, not spawning with it could be a handicap for players that want to challenge themselves.
Ok fine, how about you spawn with DMR/AR at the cost of no spawned armor loadout perk. I think it's a good equalizer and balances out choosing jetpack as a default.

Obviously you can still have some 4v4 DMR start gamemodes, but what I'm suggesting could be great for complainers like yourself in BTB.

Striker

AllIsOneIsNone said:
My bet is that in regular slayer we will begin with pistol/ar and a default armor ability like sprint.
That's how I envision it, and for the Big Team games on large maps we'll have DMR (I hope).

It's great to see (or read, rather) more weapons being reasonable to pick up. Neelder Rifle sounds very intriguing and I'm hopeful they can add something for the Plasma Rifle. Pistol seems much better and the Assault Rifle can't be worse than H3.

Dirtbag

AllIsOneIsNone said:
My bet is that in regular slayer we will begin with pistol/ar and a default armor ability like sprint.

My bet is AR/pistol and your choice of any of the map/mode allowed abilities, default would allow all abilities to be spawned with.

I'm guessing you can disable certain pieces of equipment and wouldn't be surprised to see some of them turned off for different maps.

Like the idea of DMR/AR and no ability spawn (though retaining the ability to still pickup and scavenge them on the map) though I'm not holding my breath for it.

Additional things they can change on loadouts being grenades amounts/types.
What if the more prized abilities like a jetpack costs you from spawning with grenades.

I can see tons of ways to balance these things if they get really creative.

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag said:

I've said this before, but now that we know loadouts are in, I'm hoping/assuming it's a fully controllable option for custom games. Similar to selecting primary and secondary weapons, the party leader could check off the list of weapons and armor abilities that would be made available to players in the pre-game selection menu. I assume they will have that same level of control over the play lists.

Unrelated: Bungie's still clearly saving their big-ticket features for later. We just learned about some new weapons, game types, abilities and maps. That's the basic core of what to expect from a sequel. But we've heard nothing about new MP structure and credit system, Forge-type mode, saved films, Firefight, "Activities" (from the leaked menu), player counts, etc. I have a feeling the big surprises are going to be in those departments.

Dirtbag

Striker said:
That's how I envision it, and for the Big Team games on large maps we'll have DMR (I hope).

You know I get the sentiment given the way past halo's have played... but we are very likely spawning with a scoping pistol that everyone has been asking about for 2 games now. We've got 3 single shot, headshot guns.. would it really be so terrible to spawn with the weakest of the 3 for variety and promotion of the sandbox?
As long as I can look down a scope of a gun and squeeze off a few shots on spawn, I'll be ok.

Hellspawn23

Neo Member
Foxy Fox 39 said:
The only thing I hated was the waving arms! I will rejoice for 7 [bungie] years the day they either remove it or dramatically tone it down. Dead people don't move. That animation should only be used when FALLING to your death not "dying" in while the air or exploding.
QFMFT

I_D

Hellspawn23 said:

Seconded.

Animations from last generation have no place in current games.

The only other thing that really stood out to me as weird was how the turret on the tank turns. It looks like it's disconnected from the rest of the frame.

Everything else looks great. The gifs also show off how impressive the game looks. The first-person sections are outstanding.

kylej

Banned
The BR/DMR is like alcohol during the prohibition. We've got a few guys who sneak in BR starts (MLG) while the governing entity think it knows what's best. A few people tire of seeking out the limited options for BR starts and instead make their own via custom games. Eventually the g-men will tire of the mass complaints and give in. We're close.

So I've watched the trailer about 20 times already. There is so much I wanna know about multiple things in the vid, specifically Invasion and whether or not you can choose your weapon before spawning(I'm hoping not). So far it looks like Bungie is ending their part of the Halo series with a massive bang. Also that lock on weapon used to destroy the warthog looks epic. Can't wait to get my hands on that thing.

Immortal_Daemon said:
Seconded.

Animations from last generation have no place in current games.

The only other thing that really stood out to me as weird was how the turret on the tank turns. It looks like it's disconnected from the rest of the frame.

Everything else looks great. The gifs also show off how impressive the game looks. The first-person sections are outstanding.

X3

I dont know why they just dont replace it with physics as opposed to the Halo CE animation. It would look more realistic and i dont think it would be too difficult since there are many other instances where the characters body moves accordingly to physics (head shots, some splatters, beatdowns) i dont see how it would be a technical hurdle.

Dirtbag

kylej said:
The BR/DMR is like alcohol during the prohibition. We've got a few guys who sneak in BR starts (MLG) while the governing entity think it knows what's best. A few people tire of seeking out the limited options for BR starts and instead make their own via custom games. Eventually the g-men will tire of the mass complaints and give in. We're close.

Really when did the G-men give in?
Seems like everyone is still whining like usual since I left these threads, and yet still no BR only starts across the playlists outside of boring-ass MLG.

A Penguin

Dirtbag said:
Really when did they give in?
Seems like everyone is still whining like usual since I left these threads, and yet still no BR only starts across the playlists outside of boring-ass MLG.
You forgot Team Throwback. The twelve people playing that are enjoying all BR starts.

Dirtbag

Bunch of whiny nostalgic brats that have been trying to recreate what made the game fun 4 iterations ago, rather then embrace or accept what is approaching.
People already think they know whats best for a game they haven't even played yet and are already complaining about the sniper's rate of fire, or the removal of the BR (even though those same people have been crying for a more accurate single shot go-to weapon replacement for years). Claim they like map control and power weapons, yet don't want to consider controling the DMR(BR) spawns part of that same skill equation.

Complain all you want about Halo 3, but don't damn Reach out the gates. We're going to get a beta, and they'll probably nerf and juice lots of things afterwards, which will give all of you plenty of things to fill your days with instead of playing Halo:CE where you belong.

Dirtbag said:
Lots of stupidity.
These brats you speak of are the same brats that still play Halo CE to this day. It is not nostalgia, it is appreciation of good game design.
New does not automatically mean good and old, likewise, does not automatically mean bad. Good game mechanics are not effected by a lapse of time.

Merguson

Banned
kylej said:
When Woodrow Wilson aka Shishka loses power after 343 takes over the franchise. Halo 3 matchmaking is the Great Depression.

Last I saw, it was the top LIVE game 3 years running with stronger competition compared to Halo 2.

A flawed comparison no?

Dirtbag

DiabolicalBagel said:
These brats you speak of are the same brats that still play Halo CE to this day. It is not nostalgia, it is appreciation of good game design.
New does not automatically mean good and old, likewise, does not automatically mean bad. Good game mechanics are not effected by a lapse of time.

But until you've actually tried it, you're living in the past and come across as close-minded.

So much looks to have changed (especially in this little bit we've seen in this iteration of the franchise) that it's puzzling to me that so many people think the same old rules need to apply.
I understand throwing around speculation and guesses, that's fun to me.. but it's like reading a movie review about Terminator 2 from someone who only saw Terminator 1.

I'm going back to off-topic. Remember why I left.

Link069

Neo Member
Major Williams said:
True, however, I'm interested to see if Bungie actually balances the differences between the two species on the battlefield. It doesn't necessarily make sense for them to have the same exact capabilities, and I'd like that to be shown this time around.

Thats all I could ask for to be honest. Id like to see an elite assassinate someone, the thought of this has got me all giddy inside.

Anyway the elites seem to be a lot less bulky which I think will greatly influence their potential in multiplayer but it might just be the same thing as in halo 2 and 3, a big bulky bullet sponge.

advent29

Neo Member
Just rememberd this from Halo 2 bonus disc. I always thought it had the word "generator" in it, which made me think of the new Reach MP trailer. This took me forever to find, anyone remember this being discussed as a possible gametype that was removed from Halo 2?

vlcsnap-2010-03-04-01h23m16s113.png

PS the screenshot is blurry because it was on a tv in the background of the bungie video. I used vlc, not an actual picture of my tv.

Link069

Neo Member
Dirtbag said:
But until you've actually tried it, you're living in the past and come across as close-minded.

So much looks to have changed (especially in this little bit we've seen in this iteration of the franchise) that it's puzzling to me that so many people think the same old rules need to apply.
I understand throwing around speculation and guesses, that's fun to me.. but it's like reading a movie review about Terminator 2 from someone who only saw Terminator 1.

I'm going back to off-topic. Remember why I left.

I couldn't agree with this anymore. People need to take steps forward with higher expectations for the new sequel to a game and not get all emotionally distraught when they take a weapon or weapons strengths out. What game designers hope to achieve is a sense of balance and if we kept the same style of weapons from halo CE through halo 3 our gameplay would be all over the place.

Its not just weapons either, as far as the places that our characters travel that has a great effect too. I love Halo CE as much as the next guy but if I find that Im going to another Halo in Reach I might possibly kill someone. So for all you people out there who are living in the past, take a step forward and look to the future . . . it has JETPACKS FOR GOD SAKE

I like the arms-flailing animation. It's classic. At times.

Where it works:

-Falling deaths
-Shot out of a Banshee/fast moving vehicle where the vehicle is destroyed but the driver would most likely be still alive until impact, i.e. a Hog takes a laser to the rear axle
-Basically, any situation where the player is "killed" for game play reasons but the character would still (probably) be alive

Where it doesn't:

-After hitting the ground/wall/anything else
-Getting shot out of the air when the bulllet/rocket/whatever actually hits the player model
-where the character is dead, both for gameplay purposes, and if it was "real life"

Fuckin' thing sucks:

-Killed by an explosive, especially a rocket to the face. Unless those limbs are flying off, that body shouldn't be doin' 'nything funny, son.

Iknos

Hellspawn23 said:
its the transition from jumping position straight into that, looks horrible, always has. and since the victim is dead, as in the above gif, no biker/skater/snowboarder would flail his/her arms around like that :p

Can't be repeated enough.

Ragdolled stuff would look more interesting because it technically shouldn't be the same flail each time.

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
I like the arms-flailing animation. It's classic. At times.

Where it works:

-Falling deaths
-Shot out of a Banshee/fast moving vehicle where the vehicle is destroyed but the driver would most likely be still alive until impact, i.e. a Hog takes a laser to the rear axle
-Basically, any situation where the player is "killed" for game play reasons but the character would still (probably) be alive

Where it doesn't:

-After hitting the ground/wall/anything else
-Getting shot out of the air when the bulllet/rocket/whatever actually hits the player model
-where the character is dead, both for gameplay purposes, and if it was "real life"

Fuckin' thing sucks:

-Killed by an explosive, especially a rocket to the face. Unless those limbs are flying off, that body shouldn't be doin' 'nything funny, son.
I more or less agree. I just think it looks more entertaining than limp rag dolls flying around.

2uj5o39.jpg

Top Bottom