• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

minasodaboy said:
jetpacks!

this is from many pages ago, but that is such an awesome episode of arrested development it can't go un-commented on
Well then, my friend, I shall be a bigger, hairier mole than the one on your inner left thigh.

My 2 cents on arm flail:
Much like the spin animation, I think it's a neat homage to where the game came from. As an animation in a next-gen game, however, it is good to see some of the time, but very bad to see all of the time (like when every dude from a recently junked vehicle does the same thing simultaneously - ahem). I hope Bungie keeps it but adds some variety, just as they appear to have done with weapon deaths (0:59's sniper to the chest is awesome, but so is the spin throwback from the needle rifle at 0:54, and oh my god that flying headshot at 0:53). Spice of life and whatnot.

This is a stupid reason, but I haven't played multiplayer for Halo 3 or ODST yet because I can't install the game on my hard drive.

So I hope, make that I'm begging Bungie to have NXE install for Halo Reach!

Than I'll play it for sure!

Hazimov

Dani said:
All medals featured in the trailer. The returning ones have a dirty, used appearance.

Revenge (New)
Kill the player that has killed you previously?

Revenge.jpg

First Strike (New)
First kill of the game?

FirstStrike.jpg

Headshot and Pull! (New)
Headshot was only previously found in the Halo 3/ODST Points Meta Game.
Kill somone using a jetpack?

HeadshotPull.jpg

Unknown (New)
Seen after a kill from the grenade launcher, possible a medal for getting a kill with it. Looks similar to the ODST EMP kill medal.

Unknown-GrenadeLauncherKill.jpg

Double Kill and Splatter
Both Returning

DoubleKillSplatter.jpg

Sniper Headshot and Killjoy
Both Returning

HeadshotKilljoy.jpg

Most probably Revenge will be rewarded to you if you kill someone who ended your killing spree (Killjoy).

-PXG- said:
So Invasion is pretty much Firefight, but better? Please say yes. Firefight was already amazing.

From the footage, I would guess that it is

a) Mode with Spartans vs Elites (no AI enemies)
b) Adversarial mode with the above + AI

I wouldn't expect AI Elites to all rush in like they did for that, so I'd bet money they were player-controlled. In any case, I hope that Firefight is a separate mode. Invasion will no doubt be entertaining, but sometimes I'll just want to beat down the AI with friends, outside Campaign.

As for the death animations, I would be fine with them being cut down to certain cases. As stated before, it looks weird when a spartan takes a rocket to the face and starts flailing. I'd prefer they ragdoll properly, including having proper torque applied when they die. If you're going to take a rocket to the face, you're not going to stay essentially straight up: your body is going to be spinning like mad. Assuming it's still all in one piece, of course...

Iknos

GhaleonEB said:
I just think it looks more entertaining than limp rag dolls flying around.

I actually agree with that when talking about the stiff ragdoll in Halo 3.

Ever see a headshot where a guy goes heels over head? It looks cool but the legs and arms are pretty stiff. It would look cooler if the legs moved at a different speed from the torso and the arms moved at a different speed too.

When the body hits something like the ground where it can roll or even a rock or tree it looks pretty damn impressive IMO. Flying through the air without that animation is another story...the guy is either stuck in a pose flying through the air or spinning with all the limbs out like a stick man.

It's like there's a torso and then dead weights at the hands and feet. Knees and elbows don't bend too much either when in the air.

Tweak it and it can look better than the swimming through the air stuff...IMO.

GhaleonEB

Iknos said:
I actually agree with that when talking about the stiff ragdoll in Halo 3.

Ever see a headshot where a guy goes heels over head? It looks cool but the legs and arms are pretty stiff. It would look cooler if the legs moved at a different speed from the torso and the arms moved at a different speed too.
Agree, it's in the execution. More variety would be good.

On the subject: there's a lot of good animation in the trailer, but my favorite has to be this guy taking a DMR headshot near the end. It's a blending of Halo 1's sniper headshot (spinning in a full circle) and the animation to ragdoll reactions of Halo 3. I just love the way his head and torso snap back and around.

kapvq.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I've never once cared about the flailing arms thing. Provides for some funny screenshots though. It doesn't have an impact on the gameplay so why not just make up some excuse why it's there and go with it?.

When the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor (all variants) detects a sharp decline or loss of the monitoring signals coming from key vital areas on the wearer, such as coming from the heart and the brain, an emergency fail safe algorithm is activated.

When the algorithm is activated, a weak electrical charge is discharged from micro-electrodes along the wearers arm inside the armour itself. The signal is split between the medial brachial cutaneous nerve and the inferior lateral cutaneous nerve in each of the arms and is sent indirectly along these pathways to the central nervous system where it is redirected to the specific affected vital areas in an attempt to recover an optimal signal.

Side effects from the activation of this algorithm include a reported loss of sensation in both arms for period of up to six days and reported uncontrollable arm spasms for the duration of the algorithm's activation - which in some instances has led to the misidentification of fatal injuries on the battlefield when wearers of the armour were assumed to be still alive due to the algorithm derived movements of their arms after receiving fatal injuries.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Pudding Tame said:
Am I the only only one looking at the jetpacks and thinking how awesome a Boarding Action remake would be?

I didn't even think of that, being able to land on stuff is going to be pretty awesome and the same for stealing peoples banshees. :D

I realize how arm-flail is a classic Halo staple.

But i fear that is we asked the person(s) at Bungie responsible for it and why it's still in games to this day, i fear it wouldn't be an answer based on nostalgia, but instead an answer based on some sort of animation laziness or something technical.

And regarding it, I would like to say that I don't mind it, as long as Bungie adds some sort of Kinetic + Physics-influenced + animation Hybrid like Killzone 2 has shown with it's Soldier impact reactions.

That way, you keep Halo's classic death animation but give is a spin so that each death has an unexpected oomph and layer of unpredictability added to it with physics... I can dream.

Justinian

Cuban Legend said:
I realize how arm-flail is a classic Halo staple.

But i fear that is we asked the person(s) at Bungie responsible for it and why it's still in games to this day, i fear it wouldn't be an answer based on nostalgia, but instead an answer based on some sort of animation laziness or something technical.

And regarding it, I would like to say that I don't mind it, as long as Bungie adds some sort of Kinetic + Physics-influenced + animation Hybrid like Killzone 2 has shown with it's Soldier impact reactions.

That way, you keep Halo's classic death animation but give is a spin so that each death has an unexpected oomph and layer of unpredictability added to it with physics... I can dream.

I think they are already doing this for the ragdoll deaths not involving flying through the air.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I just don't see the complaints about that particular death animation, it is a staple of Halo now. It is something that might not have been updated but does it really need to? Once the beta is out and everyone is playing we won't hear about how this needs to be changed. Then when the game launches and everyone is playing again no one will care. :lol

Justinian said:
I think they are already doing this for the ragdoll deaths not involving flying through the air.

Indeed.

During the shortsome (contracted form for short yet incredibly awesome) vid we get to see some good examples: a pair of headshots (just like the screenshot posted by GhaleonEB), the assassinations, and so on.

ODST already had some great death animations (remember the Firefight ViDoc with the brute getting shot in the face while jumping at the player?).

SILVO

Banned
-PXG- said:
So Invasion is pretty much Firefight, but better? Please say yes. Firefight was already amazing.

I'd rather have invasion be an Assault-type game mode, where an attacking team has to accomplish successive objectives (i.e. breach the outer wall, then raise the inner gate, then blow up some objective), than Firefight renamed. I'm sure Firefight will still be in the game, but I don't see much of a reason to change the name. Much rather have a new kick-ass mode.

EazyB

Banned
kylej said:
The BR/DMR is like alcohol during the prohibition. We've got a few guys who sneak in BR starts (MLG) while the governing entity think it knows what's best. A few people tire of seeking out the limited options for BR starts and instead make their own via custom games. Eventually the g-men will tire of the mass complaints and give in. We're close.
kylej said:
When Woodrow Wilson aka Shishka loses power after 343 takes over the franchise. Halo 3 matchmaking is the Great Depression.
:lol

Merguson said:
Last I saw, it was the top LIVE game 3 years running with stronger competition compared to Halo 2.

A flawed comparison no?
Last I checked MW2 was #1.

That game must be extraordinarily well designed...

SILVO said:
I'd rather have invasion be an Assault-type game mode, where an attacking team has to accomplish successive objectives (i.e. breach the outer wall, then raise the inner gate, then blow up some objective), than Firefight renamed. I'm sure Firefight will still be in the game, but I don't see much of a reason to change the name. Much rather have a new kick-ass mode.

Firefight is already awesome, but I think it will greatly benefit from the new gameplay implementations, let alone from the return of Spartans.

Abilities such as sprinting/jetpacks/the barrel roll (lol) will really come in handy while playing.

Moreover, Spartans can pilot anything, so I guess it's safe to bet Firefight will be a massive vehicular madness.

Two people on a Falcon (pilot and gunner) and the other two flying around with jetpacks :lol

J-Roderton

Does anyone know how i can get like a Quicktime version of the multiplayer beta video for mac without ripping it off youtube? I need good quality

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I don't know if Bungie has said anything but I think with the inclusion of jetpacks we will most likely see the return of fall damage, I think this is a good thing.

I think of the jetpacks being used as parachutes to jump from a Falcon that is about to blow up. :D

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Jroderton said:
Does anyone know how i can get like a Quicktime version of the multiplayer beta video for mac without ripping it off youtube? I need good quality

It is up on bungie.net for download in 720p quicktime.

Link069

Neo Member
EazyB said:
Once you get good enough at the game people will actually complain that elites offer an advantage in regular gametypes.

I really hope there's more depth to being an elite than shown in the trailer. It looked like all they can do is roll, no custimization, no perks like the jetpack. The rolling seems incredibly useless as well. Sure you can dash across a doorway or something but it's not something an animation a decent player would want to get caught in during a competitive match and with Halo's crazy melee lunges you'd just get beaten to hell in the process anyways.

I know there will be more to come when it comes to this game. I see it as, so far Bungie only wants to release info on the multiplayer. I'm not expecting much if anything at all when it comes to the focus on just elites.

They didn't even seem to show much of the different armor permutations for the spartans when it came to the trailer so I wouldn't say that that was it for the game. The demo however, I might say could only be what we saw in the trailer but something tells me this is the tip of the glacier and I think a lot of our Titanics are going to bite the big one when we find out what Bungie truly has in store. The glory of the elites will be fulfilled(so to speak).

Dirtbag said:
Jetpacks + Low gravity + Rockets + Unlimited ammo + Unlimited use Jetpacks (hopefully)

MLG can suck my dick

Change Rockets for Sniper and that sounds like the best gametype ever.

Zeoterlimits, Rewatch the H3 Multiplayer trailer, its obvious the teams are jammed so close together for the video, in that both teams crammed in the cave in snowbound :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If Reach is as customizable as previous Halo's I'm sure we'll see MLG variants with straight up BR's.

Link069

Neo Member
I'm just curious, have any of you put the low gravity on in halo 3? You expect this jetpack thing to be greatest revolution since light. I can say I'm pretty excited but to say that you guys cant already get the idea of this is going to turn out is a little . . .odd. I'm not trying to be patronizing but I cant say I'm THAT enthused about them making a variation of low gravity in matchmaking.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Anyone else think that maybe this trailer was just a sample of goodies that will be given to us at GDC next week? Release this trailer get some buzz and then maybe at GDC we will get a little demonstration of how to outfit your Spartan or Elite with what is available in the Beta.

EazyB said:
What gives you that impression. If I forced to guess I'd say you're right but nothing is known about how the armor abilities are acquired, selected, or changed midgame. I see two weapon loadouts in the trailer, AR+pistol and DMR + pistol, don't understand why we wouldn't be able to select between the two. Having every single gametype split into two (AR opr BR starts) in Halo 3 is retarded, I don't see them going that route again. My guess is that they feel the pistol is sufficient and you won't feel as cheated when one team grabs real long range weapons and starts donging on you, that's why most gametypes will be AR+pistol starts. Hope I'm wrong and Bungie wises up. At low levels people can select the accessible AR while at higher levels they'd be able to switch over to DMR starts. Makes way too much sense though so like AR only and BR/AR starts in Halo 3 when things could be unsegregated already by having AR+BR starts across all gametypes, they'll probably force players in one direction while having the infrastructure to do otherwise.
Did you watch the video? Because that's where the impression is coming from. For the majority of the video, the majority of players that can be seen on screen are wielding assault rifles with (most likely) a pistol secondary.

The AR/BR complaints are easily the biggest complaints about Halo 3 MP's gameplay, it's obviously something they should've put that as the highest priority.
This statement needs clarification: The AR/BR complaints are easily the biggest complaints of Halo 3's MP gameplay from a very small minority of the MP population.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Not really lol. Bungie is about details. And he's right, they are dead. No need to flail the arms. The "wacky waving inflatable arm flailing spartan man animation" has to go. It really dates the game IMHO.

on another note. The new explosions look BOSS! I'm really liking the trailer and truth be told its getting me hyped.

You'd better not disappoint urk!
The flailing arms are basically a staple of the Halo games at this point.:lol They're not going away.

Oh, and I love the redesign of the Banshee.

Not a Jellyfish said:
Anyone else think that maybe this trailer was just a sample of goodies that will be given to us at GDC next week? Release this trailer get some buzz and then maybe at GDC we will get a little demonstration of how to outfit your Spartan or Elite with what is available in the Beta.

So this now and ViDoc #2 (yeah I know, I'm obsessed with it) at GDC?

Me want.

EazyB

Banned
Dax01 said:
Did you watch the video? Because that's where the impression is coming from. For the majority of the video, the majority of players that can be seen on screen are wielding assault rifles with (most likely) a pistol secondary.
Yeah, and jetpacks must be mandatory and not selectable because most players have them equipped...

Like I said, if I really had to guess I'd say weapons aren't included in the loadout. But that's very different than "weapons aren't included in the loadout" which implies he's seen something definitive about it.

Dax01 said:
This statement needs clarification: The AR/BR complaints are easily the biggest complaints of Halo 3's MP gameplay from a very small minority of the MP population.
If you could suggest one other aspect of Halo 3's MP gameplay that has disappointed more people I'd be very impressed.

There are three positions on the AR/BR spectrum, those that want BR/AR starts, those that want players not to spawn with BRs, and those that don't care. I think most of you AR whores seem to claim your in the majority by putting "those that don't care" on your side. Those that don't care are the vast majority, but I'd be willing to bet that the "don't want BR starts" is significantly smaller than those that do. I'm sure you'd be part of that gang, but kids with ADHD aside, the group that would actively protest Bungie giving players the option to choose between two non-power weapon loadouts and play the way they want to.

Falt said:
A lot of conflicting opinions, I'll hold my tongue till May.
Indeed. I am lapping it all up though, that is, the info we have been given thus far. I have enjoyed all of the previous Halo games. They have charm. 4 Halo titles so far, I doubt they can go too far astray this time around.

I couldn't care less about graphics and AA and all that jazz. I have played Borderlands too close to my 32" HDTV and could count the pixels and whatnot, that annoyed me, so I sat back and voila. If it loads up the cutscenes in time (unlike Halo 2 sadly, don't worry, I know the reason that was the cause of that.) I will be happy.

You might call me a casual player and I would tend to agree. I like to think I have a nice comfy seat on the apex of the fence. MLG, Action Sack, ranked, social... there is so many different types of games that can be played. Gaf customs is testament to this. I hope Reach takes us beyond this, to crazy amounts of fun. Every previous Halo title is essentially a building block for Reach. It can only get better in my book.

Falt

Oh, don't get me wrong I'm moist with anticipation and a lot of the new info I feel generally positive about. I'm just not going to start praising/bashing anything until I'm knee deep in the beta.

Falt said:
Oh, don't get me wrong I'm moist with anticipation and a lot of the new info I feel generally positive about. I'm just not going to start praising/bashing anything until I'm knee deep in the beta.
That's a pretty good mentality if you ask me ;)

It seems to be the thing, in each competitive multiplayer shooter, that there is always some weapon that is deemed "overpowered" by the community.
I don't really think a perfect balance could be achieved between weapons in any game, and even if it could, it would still be uneven as people are better or worse at different weapons.

Watched the trailer about 10 times on my 42" plasma last night (my wife thinks I've got problems). Holy shit, I could break a BR over my haloboner right now. All those in favor of skipping the month of April...

Mohonky

Not feeling it. Looks like more Halo, which is what will likely get everyone excited but nothing there to get me all that interested. First video looked like a massive improvement on visuals but that video looked pretty bland to me.

Mohonky said:
Not feeling it. Looks like more Halo, which is what will likely get everyone excited but nothing there to get me all that interested. First video looked like a massive improvement on visuals but that video looked pretty bland to me.
What stage of development was the video taken from?

The final release? No.

The Delta? No.

The internal Beta? No.

The Alpha. Enough said.

This trailer is so good... I have probably watched it fifteen times, and each time I see something new that amazes me.

This game is really shaping up to be incredible, I am certainly looking forward to it.

It seems like they are promoting the medium/long range weapons this time around. I remember watching Halo 3 promotional stuff and it was pretty much all AR (I think?).

I really cannot wait to get my hands on this game and try it all out... I wonder what they're going to do for the Beta. I imagine they will lock out customs again, and limit the beta to just a few game types.

Well done Bungie <3

pringles

EazyB said:
If you could suggest one other aspect of Halo 3's MP gameplay that has disappointed more people I'd be very impressed.
The maps! Most people I play with have NO opinion whatsoever when it comes to AR vs. BR. But they get pissed as hell when people veto a good map (one of the rare ones) because it has AR starts in favor of a bad map with BR starts.

And even though I prefer BR starts, I also think that a GOOD MAP is more important than what weapon you start with.

Devin Olsen said:
Go play Super Mario. That game has terrible graphics,

Super Mario Bros actually has pretty good graphics. In fact, Mario 1, 2, 3, World, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are all anywhere from good graphics to beautiful (For when they were released).

EazyB

Banned
pringles said:
The maps! Most people I play with have NO opinion whatsoever when it comes to AR vs. BR. But they get pissed as hell when people veto a good map (one of the rare ones) because it has AR starts in favor of a bad map with BR starts.

And even though I prefer BR starts, I also think that a GOOD MAP is more important than what weapon you start with.
I wouldn't really group better maps with general MP gameplay stuff like weapon, vehicle, and equipment mechanics that I was referring to. Sure everyone would like better maps, Halo 3's are extremely hit and miss, but it speaks volumes that a good map will be vetoed by people who'd rather take the chance of a shitty map with BR starts. Personally I'll always take that chance because AR starts in a competitive game can ruin the experience far beyond what a shitty map can do.

I wouldn't know, but do people at lower levels go out of their way to veto good maps in order to get rid of BR starts?

pringles

EazyB said:
I wouldn't know, but do people at lower levels go out of their way to veto good maps in order to get rid of BR starts?
If you're asking me I'm a 50 so I wouldn't know either.

Anyway, if you can't handle AR starts in a competitive game chances are you're just not good enough. I constantly own BR noobs with my crazy AR skills.

Top Bottom