• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Trasher

Dani said:
Is this promotion for original Xbox Live folks only then? Pity if true, I could have done with the extra three months as my Gold just ran out.
Was just gonna say the same thing haha. Mine ran out last week.

big ander

GhaleonEB said:
The comparison between Avatar's run and Halo 3's on the charts is apt (as is the quality comparison). And as we like to say around here, hater's gonna hate. Nothing wrong with that. :p
I really liked Avatar, I'm just messing around.

I would be lying if I said it didn't feel cheap that ODST is now one of at least two ways to get a Reach beta code (I'm starting to think the Ganespot way might actually be valid now) but I guess it should have been expected.

Kibbles

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm looks like that free 400 points and Reach Beta is for those who have remained on the Xbox and Halo 2.

"Microsoft has quietly given word that gamers who have remained on the original Xbox and Halo 2 players"

"• To thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE customer, we are giving you a free, three-month LIVE Gold membership and 400 Microsoft Points for you to use as you choose on Xbox LIVE.

• In addition, because you've been so loyal to Halo, we are inviting you to participate in the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

How do I get these offers?

• You will receive a token for 400 MS points. Check your Xbox LIVE account messages on the console. These points can be used for 365 days after you activate your token.

• We are extending your Gold membership by three months automatically. The extension will be directly reflected in your LIVE account.

• Finally, as the beta gets closer, you will receive an e-mail containing the code granting you access to the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta."

Linky
I want this now.

feel

Again, I'm using a gamertag/hotmail account different from the one I used on xbox1, and I still got the email, and I've noticed I'm not the only one. TeamXbox fail.

big ander said:
I would be lying if I said it didn't feel cheap that ODST is now one of at least two ways to get a Reach beta code (I'm starting to think the Ganespot way might actually be valid now) but I guess it should have been expected.
There's also the top10 Halogaffers thing. Urk, you can go ahead and give my code to the eleventh best halogaffer.

Magni

I don't have Halo 2 Xbox with me at college, I won't be home for three more weeks =( I'm playing Halo 2 Vista though..

Kibbles

Letters said:
Again, I'm using a gamertag/hotmail account different from the one I used on xbox1, and I still got the email, and I've noticed I'm not the only one. TeamXbox fail.
Hmm, I didn't get an email.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kibbles said:
I want this now.

Why? You obviously have Xbox LIVE Gold right now, maybe a couple points (and if not, no big deal) and you already have ODST which gives you access to the Reach Beta.

Let the people who need that have that.

Link069

Neo Member
Major Williams said:
This is definitely opinion.

The music in the CoD multiplayer is GREAT for creating pace and tension in a match IMO. Hans Zimmer does this well, and should be given credit for it. The music is not very loud, not very distracting, and makes you feel like a bamf, in most people's opinion that I play online with.

So if Bungie does it, I'm sure there are those that will be happy, and those that won't. I for one will be VERY happy. Unless it's "skyline" from the ODST soundtrack.

CoD yay Skyline BOOO. I have to second that opinion, sometime I would find myself doing things in CoD that i wouldnt normally do if I thought them out. That I would like to attribute to CoD's epic music.

If I get to experience heart wrenching music in Reach it would be a great improvement, because in my opinion after Halo CE the musics become kind of repetative cycle.

Sordid

I got an e-mail, and according to Bnet I've only played 473 Halo 2 games (no-one else I knew played online back then :**( ). I did play a game this year though, maybe that helped.

Not exactly what I'd call an avid Halo 2 player but I shan't complain :lol

Sean P.

A little offtopic:

My xbox 360 says it only took a single day to repair? Does that mean I got lucky and they fixed it super fast, or did they maybe not even do anything haha

GhaleonEB

big ander said:
I for one am not shocked that MS would seek to exploit the upcoming Halo title in as many ways as possble, as they did with the Halo 3 Beta and DLC. :p
Sean P. said:
A little offtopic:

My xbox 360 says it only took a single day to repair? Does that mean I got lucky and they fixed it super fast, or did they maybe not even do anything haha
It might mean they just swapped you a refurb rather than do a repair.

Kibbles

Domino Theory said:
Why? You obviously have Xbox LIVE Gold right now, maybe a couple points (and if not, no big deal) and you already have ODST which gives you access to the Reach Beta.

Let the people who need that have that.
I wasn't really serious. Although I would like 400 MS Points.

ManCannon

Just wanted to preemptively ask that everyone NOT hate Urk tomorrow when he DOESN'T answer all the questions raised by this weeks multiplayer trailer.

Not to say he won't find other sweet things to talk about, but set your expectations accordingly. Stuff needs to percolate a bit longer. All will be revealed in time.

For what it's worth, he WANTS to but he CAN'T.

Teaser trailer is tease :D

I've got more variants of that red/white Spartan assassination animation with various captions in my photobucket than you have as avatars :p

It's just so applicable!

Kapura

Banned
I'm really excited for the next podcast. Hopefully they'll talk about any one of the big block lettered words just a tiny bit, give us a small hint on wtf invasion or active roster are, and then leave us to stew in our own speculation again.

feel

ManCannon said:
Just wanted to preemptively ask that everyone NOT hate Urk tomorrow when he DOESN'T answer all the questions raised by this weeks multiplayer trailer.

Not to say he won't find other sweet things to talk about, but set your expectations accordingly. Stuff needs to percolate a bit longer. All will be revealed in time.

Mp3 of the trailer music in tomorrow's update and all is forgiven. Oh and the Feb podcast.

ManCannon said:
Well, it's being RECORDED tomorrow...and then has to go through the Hit Factory. And since it's the February podcast, the trailer hasn't even come out yet. :D
Damn, I thought there was one already recorded since February that you guys were saving for after the bomb dropping. :(

Kapura said:
I'm really excited for the next podcast. Hopefully they'll talk about any one of the big block lettered words just a tiny bit, give us a small hint on wtf invasion or active roster are, and then leave us to stew in our own speculation again.
I'm satisfied thinking that Invasion is a combination of Firefight, Assault and Territories :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ManCannon said:

Will GDC next week be a good time to start the hype train again? :p

Edit: Wait, what happened to the podcast that was already recorded with Jay, the Halo Medal announcer?

ManCannon

Domino Theory said:
Will GDC next week be a good time to start the hype train again? :p

Since we're in an expectation setting kind of mood... No, not really. No Bungie/Reach PR plans for GDC, though a few folks from the team are doing presentations on various development related topics.

I guess we underestimated the community metabolism, certainly thought the hunger would be satiated a bit longer after such a meaty meal. (or tofu in Urks case)

Kapura

Banned
ManCannon said:
Well, it's being RECORDED tomorrow...and then has to go through the Hit Factory. And since it's the February podcast, the trailer hasn't even come out yet. :D
I thought it was recorded tuesday. Isn't that what urk said?

BuzzJive

sonofa. I cancelled my Halo 2 gamertag for a year before I picked up my 360 and I couldn't get the tag back. I would have liked to get that beta. if anybody is interested in parting with their beta key (maybe because they already have ODST, which I didn't get), I'd love to try out Reach. THANKS.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Domino Theory said:
Edit: Wait, what happened to the podcast that was already recorded with Jay, the Halo Medal announcer?

Jay is our Audio Lead. We're recording tomorrow. Maybe.

vhfive

ManCannon said:
Since we're in an expectation setting kind of mood... No, not really. No Bungie/Reach PR plans for GDC, though a few folks from the team are doing presentations on various development related topics.

I guess we underestimated the community metabolism, certainly thought the hunger would be satiated a bit longer after such a meaty meal. (or tofu in Urks case)
Just say that reach will be playable at PAX East and all will be forgiven.
I know this won't happen but I can dream right?

Thermite

BuzzJive said:
sonofa. I cancelled my Halo 2 gamertag for a year before I picked up my 360 and I couldn't get the tag back. I would have liked to get that beta. if anybody is interested in parting with their beta key (maybe because they already have ODST, which I didn't get), I'd love to try out Reach. THANKS.

PM sent. I really don't have a use for my code, thanks to ODST, so it's yours. :)

BuzzJive said:
Why not just, uh, get ODST?

Kibbles

I've been holding off showing my friends the new trailer because I didn't want them to have hissy fits over modes we know nothing about yet. Guess that doesn't matter anymore since we aren't getting the info =|

Kapura

Banned
urk said:
Jay is our Audio Lead. We're recording tomorrow. Maybe.
Doesn't look great for a twelve-podcast year. Don't make the internet a promise...

But it'll be good whenever we get it.
May 15th is my bet

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh and I didn't get an email from MS. I had my tag linked to my AOL account, the account is from 04, gimme a break lol, but that shit is like totally broken I'm convinced. I check every so often and I never have any emails in my inbox, not even in the spam folder. I just switched it to my main email and I guess I'll just play the waiting game. I guess a good way is to check my xbl account and see if it was extended. My account was created December 04.

BuzzJive

InvincibleAgent said:
What? The Halo 2 thing is just for 400 Microsoft points. ODST is all you need for the beta.

They are sending a beta download code later for the Halo 2 people as an alternate way to play the beta. Thermite has got me covered though, so I'm good.

Thanks again Thermite.

big ander

Kibbles said:
I've been holding off showing my friends the new trailer because I didn't want them to have hissy fits over modes we know nothing about yet. Guess that doesn't matter anymore since we aren't getting the info =|
How my friends reacted. :/
"Whats active roster?" "Not quite sure yet." "What about loadouts? Is it finally becoming CoD?" "Don't know that either..." "Why would they do the trailer and not talk about it? What kind of advertising is that? God Gaylo is so dumb."

I don't mind them mixing in Firefight like ideas with other players, as long as there is a mode that's strictly friends versus waves of enemy AI.

And yeah, before you say it, I mean something besides campaign.

Louis Wu

Devin Olsen said:
Holy wow... All this talk about lasers reminded me of the beta montage that included a laser compilation at the end.

I spent literally half an hour on and off searching for the thing!

"laser cat montage" - "Halo 3 beta montage" - "moar laser"

But! I finally found it... And it is quite suiting for the discussion at hand.

Laser Cat Demands...
You can find a high-res version at the end of Betalicious (search our news for download copies).

Trasher

ManCannon said:

Who's ready to picket?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
big ander said:
"Whats active roster?" "Not quite sure yet." "What about loadouts? Is it finally becoming CoD?" "Don't know that either..." "Why would they do the trailer and not talk about it? What kind of advertising is that? God Gaylo is so dumb."

The answer to all of those questions is simply "jetpacks".

Kapura

Banned
NullPointer said:
I don't mind them mixing in Firefight like ideas with other players, as long as there is a mode that's strictly friends versus waves of enemy AI.

And yeah, before you say it, I mean something besides campaign.
I agree. Firefight was a great stress relief, just being able to unload on waves and waves of enemies. I'm hoping invasion is more like a multi-objective gametype, e.g. go destroy objectives A, B, and C, set up the bomb at D, and retrieve flag-like item from E. Elites invading, naturally. Score would be whichever had managed to do the most in the time limit at the end of one cycle for each team.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
big ander said:

Just tell them it's Perfect Dark: Reach. :p

Top Bottom