• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Flipyap

I have created a monster.
...in MSPaint. I knew it would happen eventually, but I thought it would be after I got into freaky genetic experiments. This little guy is unstoppable.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I feel left behind, I don't get it. The dick in the brute image was fun. This one seems like you guys are reaching.

feel

godhandiscen said:
I feel left behind, I don't get it. The dick in the brute image was fun. This one seems like you guys are reaching.
Sorry but we can't just go back and pretend we don't know about (and love) the lil fella.

At this point the final game will feel weird and incomplete for not being like this:
jg5v2p.jpg

:(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
EazyB said:
:lol

Edit: nvm. You've convinced me that it's not funny.
It was a pun "reaching" ?

Fuck, I am getting destroyed in Halo 3, I am pissed.

Raiden

Banned
I came here for Halo Reach talk, i got oonsk.

And now i wish i never knew what it was, cause i cant unsee it ...

Worst thread ever.

Gui_PT

Raiden said:
I came here for Halo Reach talk, i got oonsk.

And I'm glad I did. This is the best thing I have ever seen!

This thread is made of win covered with chocolate flavored gold sprinkles.

Couldn't have said it better myself :D

Magni

Bungie needs to implement some sort of autoboot or voteboot in Reach. If one player is derankin/not playing/etc his teammates should have the option to boot him.

Arnie

MagniHarvald said:
Bungie needs to implement some sort of autoboot or voteboot in Reach. If one player is derankin/not playing/etc his teammates should have the option to boot him.
The problem with a voteboot system is if a team of 3 go into a 4v4 and don't happen to like the other person on their team they can boot him irrelevant of performance. Alternatively, the lone player could get the mvp but still be booted with 10 seconds to go, just because the other players want to.

Honestly I would rather Bungie implement an automatic system to detect non movement. I would also like a system that evaluates individual performance, whether the teams were even and connection inconsistencies into how it ranks you up.

Magni

Derankers use rubberbands, so non-movement detection doesn't work. If a team of three boots their teammate because they're assholes, the guy is lucky if he doesn't have to spend anymore time with them.

If you're booted within the first minute of a game, you don't lose skill/EXP, rendering deranking impossible.

It's fuck annoying losing games 50-47 because you had a non-playing teammate going 0-15. I'd rather play 3v4 than 4v4 with a non-playing teammate, especially for Slayer games.

edit: In 30 months of Halo 3 MM, I'd never had this error, but I just got it twice in an hour.
Unable to join
A player on this Xbox 360 Console is playing in Matchmaking. You may not join a Matchmaking game in progress.

I got this while searching alone in Matchmaking (once in Throwback (118 players, lol), once in Snipers). Then I get sent to the Storage Device Selection screen. What gives?

Gui_PT

MagniHarvald said:

This is one of the biggest problems we have in matchmaking IMO.

Problem is, as Arnie said, you could get booted for doing nothing wrong, just because the other players are jerks. Heck, some of my team mates will betray me just so I won't get a Perfection.

Arnie said:
Honestly I would rather Bungie implement an automatic system to detect non movement. I would also like a system that evaluates individual performance, whether the teams were even and connection inconsistencies into how it ranks you up.

This is probably the best solution.
Is there a system that detects the number of betrayals already? Not just in one match, but some sort of kill/betrayal ratio that would determine if a player does that on purpose or not.

Another problem is when most of your team quits and you're left alone against 5 guys. It's a lose-lose situation. Either you stay in the match and get smashed by the other team, or you also quit and lose points.
Unfortunately, I see no decent way to fix this. Maybe some sort of handicap could be applied on the other team? Or you could get a bit more of shield depending on the difference of players between your team and the other?

Probably sounds stupid but I don't really see a way to fix this =\

Arnie

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Wait. They deliver mail on Sundays? Where do you live?

The commercial was GOLD.
I meant surfaces on the internet. An Andy Mac twitter post from mid December said the issues should start hitting subscribers on the 10th, meaning today. If the issue has already hit certain subscribers then I expect them to read the issue before posting it on the internet. For that I suppose the information may surface today.

Chances are it will surface sometime in the week. The next update on GI's Reach Hub is Tuesday the 12th. So a two day wait for new information at the minimum.

When will I be able to go to Barnes and Noble to pick up the GI issue? Does Gamestop sell it? I used to have the subscription, but I guess it ran out a few months ago.

Also, Oonsk as the Swedish Hero? Yes.

advent29

Neo Member
MagniHarvald said:
Derankers use rubberbands, so non-movement detection doesn't work.
In the 8k+ games I've played of Halo 3 MM I can't recall having a teammate just spin in a circle or run forward/backward. I'm sure it happens, but more often than not a deranker on my team just stands there. Not saying it's a perfect system, having autoboot (after say 2-3 min), but it's at least something.

Gui_PT

advent29 said:
In the 8k+ games I've played of Halo 3 MM I can't recall having a teammate just spin in a circle or run forward/backward. I'm sure it happens, but more often than not a deranker on my team just stands there. Not saying it's a perfect system, having autoboot (after say 2-3 min), but it's at least something.

Damn son.

Arnie

advent29 said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1513732142&player=arnie%20lfc

Just happened to me in Team Snipers. Luckily he was on the other team.

Oozer3993

I'm way late on this, but I heart Oonsk. I need to find a way to incorporate Oonsk, Taylor, and Chuck into a single, glorious avatar.

Magni

Arnie said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1513732142&player=arnie%20lfc

Just happened to me in Team Snipers. Luckily he was on the other team.

You won 50-45 while that guy went 0-12, his teammates must have been furious. iSnorlax Boostz may not have died once in this game, but 3v4 in a game of Oddball is pretty tough =/ If these guys were booted without anything happening to their EXP/skill, maybe they would lose the incentive to derank.

Also, here's the bio of a nice asshole, Jeztah, I met online a couple games ago.
youtube.com/user/iBufferOverflow
De-ranking :)

They're proud of it! I seriously don't understand people. How can you be proud of that?

Oh, Snorlax's bio is pretty nice as well:
This account is a booster in : Throwback, Squad Battle, Doubles, Slayer, Swat, & Snipers. I can boost you in any of those playlist or i can recover your account & get your 50 in Lonewolves. Payment first NO EXCEPTIONS ! Oh & it will never be free so dont ask

Good thing the Avoid button works (compared to the Report one).

---

When will the scans hit the net? I need to forget my finals are coming up :lol

Arnie

MagniHarvald said:
You won 50-45 while that guy went 0-12, his teammates must have been furious.
Yes, my aiming was only lukewarm and the two players who were there were shit hot. Honestly, had the deranker(cockney rhyming slang for wanker) been active we would have lost. Although they did get quite a few kills from baiting us with the tantilising prospect of a free kill. Luckily we pulled our fingers from our rectums and showed them what it's like to lose.

Gui_PT

big ander said:
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv268/big_ander/1263156782.jpg[img]
Just excellent. :lol[/QUOTE]
I bet that entry just made everyone flood the site with refreshes :lol

Would Oonsk look good as a tattoo? :lol

Top Bottom