• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo splitscreen co-op RIP 2001-2015

Muzy72

Banned
Please tell me this is a joke post, nobody can be this fucking stupid
Why is that a joke post?

Mario Kart 8 does the exact thing the post you quoted proposes. Runs @ 60fps in single player, but if you do 4 player split screen it drops down to 30fps and tones down some visual effects.

Why can't Halo 5 do the same?

jem0208

Why is that a joke post?

Mario Kart 8 does the exact thing the post you quoted proposes. Runs @ 60fps in single player, but if you do 4 player split screen it drops down to 30fps and tones down some visual effects.

Why can't Halo 5 do the same?

Yes but it's gaf so this thread is actually much longer than the news one.

Anyway yes, it's a bummer but 60fps had to take precedence. It's not just aesthetics- the entire simulation is built on that framerate.

For all those who have trouble understanding the reaction to this news when compared with the other information from the preview, consider this: this is a concrete piece of information. People have played split-screen co-op before and now know that Halo 5 will not offer them that experience. Things like directing a squad or free maps are details that someone may imagine and possibly get excited for, but without actually playing the game they are only ideas. A confirmed loss hits harder than a potential gain

What? How are free maps only a "potential gain". We know we will be getting 20 maps at launch and then 15 free maps after that.

What does that even mean?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
For all those who have trouble understanding the reaction to this news when compared with the other information from the preview, consider this: this is a concrete piece of information. People have played split-screen co-op before and now know that Halo 5 will not offer them that experience. Things like directing a squad or free maps are details that someone may imagine and possibly get excited for, but without actually playing the game they are only ideas. A confirmed loss hits harder than a potential gain.

Also, maybe it's a sign that local play is more popular than some of you believe ;)

Oh man, you've decided what I've posted and no matter what I say, you're not going to actually pay attention as far as I can tell.

My point again is this: split screen being removed isn't anywhere near as significant as free maps, dedicated servers. This is not the way the world ends.

...Except in this thread where people are trying to make believe that split screen gaming IS Halo and that it is the key feature. It isn't. Online is more important and it's here that 343 are rolling out some massive improvements. This is brilliant. On this forum all we've got is people calling 343 out for prioritising 60fps - one of the features people were hoping for more of this gen over split screen gaming.

It's not the issue that people are claiming it is. I don't even know what you're arguing about.
Your initial argument was that anyone who says that this feature was a defining part of the games for them is a liar, because most of the discussion you see online is about online multiplayer. Could it be that this is because online multiplayer is a continual shared experience for online communities and thus is an obvious source of discussion? Why instantly jump to trying to discredit other people's experiences and preferences in order to defend a decision you had no personal involvement in?

Split-screen is a relic of the past. I'm glad it's finally being put to rest.

Sure, it's more practical than having two consoles and two screens...

Campaign deserves more than half a screen. Multiplayer is another thing entirely.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Jem and everyone who is arguing please don't. Just woke up and this thread is still on the front page, news thread is no where to be found. Embarrassing, truly is.

Utter bullshit. If Mario Kart 8 can do 60fps 2 player split screen and 30fps 4 players then why can't the XB1 (the more "powerful machine") do so? This industry is pathetic and why I refuse to buy into this gen.

Trickster

Utter bullshit. If Mario Kart 8 can do 60fps 2 player split screen and 30fps 4 players then why can't the XB1 (the more "powerful machine") do so? This industry is pathetic and why I refuse to buy into this gen.

Here you go

Yes but it's gaf so this thread is actually much longer than the news one.

Anyway yes, it's a bummer but 60fps had to take precedence. It's not just aesthetics- the entire simulation is built on that framerate.

The over-reaction in this thread is hilarious.

No whats hilarious is the corporate ballwashing just because you got free maps. And for all you know there might be F2P or Micro transaction elements tied to the MP to offset that cost.

They killed off a feature thats been standard in the series for 15 years, a feature thats a big deal to a lot of people (as its clear by this thread). So no, its not an overreaction.

Its not a surprise that they axed it though. 343 has consistently shown a total disregard for things that make Halo the series it is.

Here you go

Again, not really a good enough reason to axe a standard feature. Should have compromised on visuals or resolution or any other place if Frame rate was locked down.

KieranD

Banned
While it is disappointing, it's not nearly the dealbreaker people seem to think it is. This anti-343i hyperbole is getting old fast.

I'd agree with that. Too many people with fake agendas.

20 maps at launch 15 free with DLC coming for FREE

Some of the gamers on here said they may not buy the game because co-op split screen is missing. The game not been bought because a minor feature was omitted is that sane?

Iced Arcade

Not that I use it often and can see no 4 player split screen. But no option for at 2 player ugh.

Edit: actually don't remember the last time I played split screen. I'm fine with it if it is to achieve a higher level for the single player.

Trickster

Again, not really a good enough reason to axe a standard feature. Should have compromised on visuals or resolution or any other place if Frame rate was locked down.

By standard features, you mean very niche feature in todays world that the vast majority of games haven't bother including for years, right? yeah...

Well that's even worse then. If the hardware is capable why remove the feature? It's not like it hurts anyone keeping it in the game.

You missed this part then I can only assume - "the entire simulation is built on that framerate."

And you act like split-screen coop would cost no money to implement, take no manpower and no time.

No whats hilarious is the corporate ballwashing just because you got free maps. And for all you know there might be F2P or Micro transaction elements tied to the MP to offset that cost.

They killed off a feature thats been standard in the series for 15 years, a feature thats a big deal to a lot of people (as its clear by this thread). So no, its not an overreaction.

Its not a surprise that they axed it though. 343 has consistently shown a total disregard for things that make Halo the series it is.

Things have to move on. I bet way more people would want more maps than a shitty split screen experience.

God when will the whiners of the internet ever grow up.

I am blown away by the replies in here. I haven't heard anyone talk about split screen Halo with such passion ever. Only when it's been announced as removed (at roughly the same time as amazing news about the game is released) does anyone spring into action to say it was the best feature of the game and without it, the game is worthless.

I can't believe everyone in this thread really cares about split screen co op. Sure, some people do but this reaction just doesn't add up. Given the way that I have heard people talk about Halo online multiplayer, you'd think dedicated servers and free maps would be the headlines that absolutely everyone would be celebrating.

I can't believe anything but the tiniest minority of Halo players values split screen co op over dedicated servers and free maps. As far as I can tell 343 are preparing to release the best online Halo ever, not killing the series. Of course, for those who do love split screen, I do sympathise, but if that's the cost for all the other amazing things 343 are implementing it's hard to feel like it won't be worth it.

Hype level: High (unchanged).

People here are telling you how they feel, you don't need to presume anything it's written write in front of you.

I agree with the sentiment that Halo should have been left to die with dignity after 3, which was a great game. Even Reach shouldn't have happened but when Microsoft continued to push for more Halo games even when Bungie left it was all over - these aren't Halo games anymore, they are just Halo themed. If they were a new IP they wouldn't receive the special treatment they do and would simply be considered one of many somewhat average FPSs.

Hype will probably ensure a good release for Halo 5 but judging by the beta impressions and things like this, lets see how it stands the test of time, they way Halo 4 spectacularly did not for example.

By standard features, you mean very niche feature in todays world that the vast majority of games haven't bother including for years, right? yeah...

What does what other games do have to do with Halo? Why would you ditch whats unique to a series because some other games are not doing it?

Thats what got you Halo 4.

Jem and everyone who is arguing please don't. Just woke up and this thread is still on the front page, news thread is no where to be found. Embarrassing, truly is.

It shows that Internet forums are now mainly for folks that want to exclusively rant and complain about minut things, rather than talk and celebrate about other positive or intriguing news items. Nobody seems to use the Internet to seek good news and stay positive, it's to see what crazy or controversial things are happening. It's why I hardly watch the news on TV and avoid comment sections on websites often, it's more rants and crises than actual discussion about good things.

I get people used the split screen option, but it was probably less than 1% of players at this point. Gotta move on. I was surprised Mario kart 8 offered split screen honestly. I'm surprised that feature exists in most games. Halo was the best game that implemented that for sure, but it was probably a really unused features, so it was removed, I can understand 343i completely and prefer they concentrate on other areas.

BokehKing

Banned

to be fair I couldn't stand mario kart 8's split screen, I need it to be top and bottom not left and right

It shows that Internet forums are now mainly for folks that want to exclusively rant and complain about minut things, rather than talk and celebrate about other positive or intriguing news items.

I get people used the split screen option, but it was probably less than 1% of players at this point. Gotta move on..
I don't think it is just 1%, Halo Split Screen is something people have been doing for what, over a decade with friends when a new game comes out?
You just took away what part of the fan base considers their favorite parts of halo, some people don't care about the MP
Hell, it may be the only game their girlfriend will play with them

jem0208

Has anyone actually considered the possibility that split screen could have been holding the SP campaign back?

It's possible there were times when things had to be scaled back to make sure they worked in splitscreen.

I'm thinking of parallels to the cross gen games, removing split screen might allow them to have bigger set pieces, more complex map design, more AI and larger battles.

Trickster

What does what other games do have to do with Halo? Why would you ditch whats unique to a series because some other games are not doing it?

Thats what got you Halo 4.

You don't get to say something is a standard feature when it is by all measures not that at all.

Standard feature would be something matchmaking

And if you just want old school style Halo games, they I think it's clear by now that you won't really get that with 343 Halo games, they're changing the formula, whether that is for the worse or better is debatable, but it is happening.

So yes, if you really like your split screen coop in Halo games, it fucking sucks for you, I totally get that. But most people will not care one bit about the lack of it, which is probably one of several reasons why they have decided agains't including it.

maximrace

I think it's sad, all the Halo news and this the most commented on. They have shown great things yesterday: 35 maps included, campaign looking better then ever with blue team, Nathan Fillion back, a new BTB mode. Yet this one negative thing gets blown up hugely, ofcourse it's sad this isn't included anymore but to bash Halo 5 in the ground because of one negative? Why aren't you guys in the other threads? Because I can't imagine a true Halo fan not wanting to comment on the other great news

Has anyone actually considered the possibility that split screen could have been holding the SP campaign back?

It's like if Naughty Dog said they weren't making Uncharted games anymore and wanted to move onto something new, so Sony forced Sucker Punch to make them instead, and then Sucker Punch turned around and said there will be no treasure collectibles in the game.. and for supposed fans of Uncharted to turn around and say that's ok because those man hours can be put into some other nebulous feature rather than what is a big part of Uncharted for a lot of people.

Halo "fans" really have gone off the deep end, they seem to defend the brand at the expense of the game.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Will be strange seeing Blops 3 with split screen campaign and I can't see the next Borderlands dropping that functionality.

I am still mega hyped about what 343 will do with Halo 5 but just think it would please a lot of fans to keep local co op campaign.

You don't get to say something is a standard feature when it is by all measures not that at all.

Standard feature would be something matchmaking

And if you just want old school style Halo games, they I think it's clear by now that you won't really get that with 343 Halo games, they're changing the formula, whether that is for the worse or better is debatable, but it is happening.

So yes, if you really like your split screen coop in Halo games, it fucking sucks for you, I totally get that. But most people will not care one bit about the lack of it, which is probably one of several reasons why they have decided agains't including it.

Its a standard feature to Halo. Its been there from 1 till 4. Its been in Halo games that didnt have Matchmaking (ODST and CE). Its as Halo as plasma nades and grunts.

Again, I dont care what other games have as standard or what the industry standard feature set is for an FPS. We arent talking about other games.

About 343 not making "Halo" Halo games. Yeah I guess we agree about that. They wouldnt be ripping out core features of the series other wise. :)

You missed this part then I can only assume - "the entire simulation is built on that framerate."

And you act like split-screen coop would cost no money to implement, take no manpower and no time.

It was more of a response to the fact that it was a design choice and 343 not wanting to do it. I just don't buy that the XB1 isn't capable of doing this. I'm well aware that it would be costly to bring back the feature but in this thread alone people have said 'fuck this' and that they're no longer interested. Surely it would be in 343's interest to not omit features that people clearly enjoy? A smaller developer this may be excusable but this is fucking Halo, the flagship franchise of Xbox. It's pathetic. Either take more time developing the game and get it right or rush another shitty product out the door (see last year's MCC) and watch the franchise de-value just that little bit more.

to be fair I couldn't stand mario kart 8's split screen, I need it to be top and bottom not left and right

An option to choose how you want the split screen would be nice but the point stands that the Wii U can do something that a more powerful console is choosing to ignore.

Percy

Banned
No whats hilarious is the corporate ballwashing just because you got free maps.

I agree and your post is made all the better by being followed by someone choosing to make this their first ever post on Neogaf:

I'd agree with that. Too many people with fake agendas.

20 maps at launch 15 free with DLC coming for FREE

Some of the gamers on here said they may not buy the game because co-op split screen is missing. The game not been bought because a minor feature was omitted is that sane?

lol

maximrace

It's like if Naughty Dog said they weren't making Uncharted games anymore and wanted to move onto something new, so Sony forced Sucker Punch to make them instead, and then Sucker Punch turned around and said there will be no treasure collectibles in the game.. and for supposed fans of Uncharted to turn around and say that's ok because those man hours can be put into some other nebulous feature rather than what is a big part of Uncharted for a lot of people.

Halo "fans" really have gone off the deep end, they seem to defend the brand at the expense of the game.

Lol that's like a completely different thing... Changing gameplay =/= Changing the way you play with friends

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
What? How are free maps only a "potential gain". We know we will be getting 20 maps at launch and then 15 free maps after that.

What does that even mean?
I feel my meaning was pretty clear in context. They're a potential gain in that we can only guess as to the quality of the maps and how important they'll be in the game's ecosystem post launch. We can only guess how being able to direct a squad will change the single player. We don't have to guess what the effect of removing local MP will be; we know what it's like from playing previous games and now know that that experience is gone. It's fairly natural that people react differently to losing something they already have and value than they do to the prospect of gaining something they are yet to experience, no matter how appealing that prospect may sound.

jem0208

I'm purely talking in a hypothetical sense. Personally though, I'd take a more expanded campaign with branching paths and larger set pieces over splitscreen any day. Funny thing is that branching paths etc. was actually revealed in the GI article! Nobody is talking about it though.

I want a massive over the top halo campaign. 343 wouldnt just pointlessly cut a feature like this. Its almost 100% due to time vs the vision they have for the campaign. I am fine with trading split screen for giving the campaign giant interactive levels with more A.I & whatever else. I have always wanted a bigger campaign out of halo.

Really is unfortunate how much discussion this is getting vs the amazing other news :/

Yup.

Trickster

It was more of a response to the fact that it was a design choice and 343 not wanting to do it. I just don't buy that the XB1 isn't capable of doing this. I'm well aware that it would be costly to bring back the feature but in this thread alone people have said 'fuck this' and that they're no longer interested. Surely it would be in 343's interest to not omit features that people clearly enjoy? A smaller developer this may be excusable but this is fucking Halo, the flagship franchise of Xbox. It's pathetic. Either take more time developing the game and get it right or rush another shitty product out the door (see last year's MCC) and watch the franchise de-value just that little bit more.

Of course the XB1 is capable of running 4 play split screen coop. Whether a games does or does not include that feature has absolutely nothing to do with the console, but the developer priorities/budget/time etc.

As for this thread. This is a thread with less than a thousand posts, with even less individual posters, this thread really doesn't mean much, and trying to draw any broad conclusions from it is silly.

But yes, of course it would be in 343's interest to cater to everyone they can. But again, depending on various factors, it might simply not be possible to do so. And if they did focus on including this, there would be a tradeoff somewhere else. Something you still seem to not understand.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I agree with this 100%. It's hilarious how because one feature that has no impact in the overall quality of the game is automatically a "OMG no split screen?? Halo is no longer Halo!" seriously? Look at everything else they're offering. Look at the bigger picture! The days of playing split screen will soon die out completely.

It seems strange to me. Why would someone flat out not buy this game because an antiquated late 90s feature isn't included? Aren't you buying the game in the first place because the game is good?

I mean if people are going to abandon Halo 5 simply over that, then their game libraries must be awfully barren.

Have neither of you read the posts in this thread? There are people that grew up with Halo split screen campaign being a big thing between them and their family or friends. Is it so hard to imagine the removal of this feature being a big blow to them?

'Antiquated late 90s feature'; 'has not impact in the overall quality' are hugely insulting and devoid of any context whatsoever. We should all be online and not have any actual face to face interation with real people I guess?

I completely understand if you see no value in that feature, but you don't get to decide what is or isn't objectively valuable for everyone else.

I want a massive over the top halo campaign. 343 wouldnt just pointlessly cut a feature like this. Its almost 100% due to time vs the vision they have for the campaign. I am fine with trading split screen for giving the campaign giant interactive levels with more A.I & whatever else. I have always wanted a bigger campaign out of halo.

Really is unfortunate how much discussion this is getting vs the amazing other news :/

I have a feeling this is being blown way out of proportion.

Couldn't give a shit about split screen. I'm more interested in all the awesome stuff we heard about in the gameinformer article.

Of course the XB1 is capable of running 4 play split screen coop. Whether a games does or does not include that feature has absolutely nothing to do with the console, but the developer priorities/budget/time etc.

As for this thread. This is a thread with less than a thousand posts, with even less individual posters, this thread really doesn't mean much, and trying to draw any broad conclusions from it is silly.

But yes, of course it would be in 343's interest to cater to everyone they can. But again, depending on various factors, it might simply not be possible to do so. And if they did focus on including this, there would be a tradeoff somewhere else. Something you still seem to not understand.

Oh I understand, my point is that they should have made the tradeoff for something else. Well actually I think MS and 343 should have planned their development team to be big enough to work in their vision for the game in terms of new features whilst retaining old ones but clearly that wasn't the case. So in this situation yes, a tradeoff for one new feature should have been made for something that is part of the essence of Halo, and has been there since day one.

KORNdoggy

it's literally the ONLY way i've played halo. i'm not a big enough fan to play them solo, and not interested in competative MP. couch co-op with my best friend was some of the most fun gaming experiences of my life... same for gears of war. if that too has no split screen i'll be equally as pissed off.

Have neither of you read the posts in this thread? There are people that grew up with Halo split screen campaign being a big thing between them and their family or friends. Is it so hard to imagine the removal of this feature being a big blow to them?

'Antiquated late 90s feature'; 'has not impact in the overall quality' are hugely insulting and devoid of any context whatsoever. We should all be online and not have any actual face to face interation with real people I guess?

I completely understand if you see no value in that feature, but you don't get to decide what is or isn't objectively valuable for everyone else.

I would argue that the people that have been with halo from the beginning would be the ones that don't really care.

My halo buddies all have grown up, we have our own places and families. We get on and play together from our own houses. The days of all getting together to drink mountain dew and eat pizza while all crowded around one, maybe two TVs are long over.

Sitris

it's literally the ONLY way i've played halo. i'm not a big enough fan to play them solo, and not interested in competative MP. couch co-op with my best friend was some of the most fun gaming experiences of my life... same for gears of war. if that too has no split screen i'll be equally as pissed off.
Same here, me and my best mate have played all the halo games split screen at his place over the launch weekend. I only ever owned the first one, this is a huge downer for me! Probably will still go and watch it, but it won't be the same without the couch Coop.

Trickster

Oh I understand, my point is that they should have made the tradeoff for something else. Well actually I think MS and 343 should have planned their development team to be big enough to work in their vision for the game in terms of new features whilst retaining old ones but clearly that wasn't the case. So in this situation yes, a tradeoff for one new feature should have been made for something that is part of the essence of Halo, and has been there since day one.

Except there's really not a strong case for doing what you obviously think should have been done. Split screen coop is not something most people bother with anymore, and haven't in a long time. Including a very niche feature just because it's been there in the previous games is not a good argument for including it yet again

Gandalf

Me and my best pal have split screened every single one, legendary, on the first weekend of release.

I'm not happy about this.
It became a tradition :(

fantomena

This is bullshit. Coop campaign has been the core for Halo games for me and many of my friends.

This might be one lost sale from me.

Good riddance :)

The jump to 60fps is much more important than trying to still cater to the minute percentage of players who still split screen in 2015.

Now I hope it is actually 60fps not "60fps", and Dedicated servers not "Dedicated servers"

!

Except there's really not a strong case for doing what you obviously think should have been done. Split screen coop is not something most people bother with anymore, and haven't in a long time. Including a very niche feature just because it's been there in the previous games is not a good argument for including it yet again

Well equally, I don't think there's a strong case for what you're saying either. You say people aren't bothered/upset but you only have to skim through the posts in this thread to see that people are considering not getting the game because of this. The fact this thread is much longer than the one talking about the 'amazing' new features says it all really.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Just as a complete random comment. Imagine we had split screen co op, but still had to pay for maps and it only shipped with 10 maps at launch. Basically decisions have to be made. I can understand some upset over it. I know people deffo played it, but some of the extreme comments. jeeez

I know people will return with "why cant we just have it all" becuase you just cant thats why. Time and budget and man power don't allow for such things sadly. I'll play co op over xbox live.

Edit. Reading a lot of the comments and quiet a few are like "14 years ago i played co op halo with my bro, it was awesome, Fuck you 343" that memory still exists. try creating some new memorys, we've never had a 60 fps halo before. I'm still hyped, I understand the dissapointment and think its fair for people to air it out. Not to some of the extremes in here tho, by some people. It's a game. I'd love to know who actually owns an xbox one out of those people (just curiosity)

jem0208

Well equally, I don't think there's a strong case for what you're saying either. You say people aren't bothered/upset but you only have to skim through the posts in this thread to see that people are considering not getting the game because of this. The fact this thread is much longer than the one talking about the 'amazing' new features says it all really.

No, all it says is that the internet loves to complain.

Some responses here, it can't be that hard to differentiate the free maps and what not from a now missing feature and it shouldn't be that hard to understand that this does not make the situation better in any shape or form for people that do not care about free stuff as it doesn't help the issue.

Top Bottom