• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Madness

To be fair, I do this myself with simpler stories. "New Mario Doesn't Have Mario in It!" would get my gears ground based on the content of a quality OP, without reading a connected story.

Build was July I believe. The new movies are almost but not quite final, so if you want to rage, rage about those.

Stinkles any reason why the resolution is 1328 X 1080p and not say 1600 X 900, or 1280 X 1080? Technically you do get more pixels in a 900p image no?

Gaogaogao

Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60

one of these things is not like the other

Reallink

Im wondering who of these concerned resolution gamers actually has a Xbox one or played Halo before for that matter, I made a quick post history look on one of these posters, and He never even mentioned the word Halo before today.

Anyways, Glad the are keeping to switch back to Original Version, it is what the Aniversary treatment is all about

I've owned and played my share of Halo, though I don't think I've ever mentioned the game on Neogaf except to call out Halo 4 as having the worst texture filtering of any game in recent memory, and pondered why they even bothered making ground textures in the first place.

ss_lemonade

So h2a is this weird res and classic halo 2 will be native 1080p? Won't instant switching make the resolution difference noticeable?

Stinkles any reason why the resolution is 1328 X 1080p and not say 1600 X 900, or 1280 X 1080? Technically you do get more pixels in a 900p image no?

I guess because it scales better, but I am no expert in this. So I defer to someone with much more knowledge then myself.

FWIW, I think 1328x1080 is a better choice of rendering resolution for 1080p displays than 1600x900.

Obviously neither is as good as native (and above native is even better :p), but if that's the pixel count you can manage then you should arrange it like this and not 16:9.

Bsigg12

The only thing I can think of is maybe it's easier to scale the horizontal lines so if your vertical lines are covering the full 1080, scaling up to 1920 from 1328 is cleaner. I'm sure they've played with it to find what looks the best. I wish they would do a vidoc on the technical side of all 4 games and what they did and what they required but its probably asking a bit much.

So h2a is this weird res and classic halo 2 will be native 1080p? Won't instant switching make the resolution difference noticeable?

Halo 2 classic multiplayer is 1080/60, the entirety of the H2A campaign just runs at this resolution. At least that's my understanding.

Ghazi

People shouldn't care about res. I'm just happy to be playing Halo, this entire package is just awesome.

El_Chino

Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60

one of these things is not like the other
I will be too busy having fun as always to count the pixels. They could've made it 900p for all I care.

Metfanant

sort of a bummer when i look at it with my nerdy technical glasses on...but if i had an Xbone i would still be all over this game, and play the shit out of it...

when this actually hits shelves its going to be hard to stop myself from buying an Xbone regardless of the fact that it falls slightly short on the technical front

Honestly, do people really care about switching from new to old?
I would have preferred to have old and new as separate modes and have both of them run 1080p 60fps.

Magwik

Banned
I would have preferred to have old and new as separate modes and have both of them run 1080p 60fps.

A lot of people actually do, and it doesn't affect how you play the game at all either.

El_Chino

It's a cool feature for those who wants to see how the game was 10 years ago without having to exit a menu to then get into the old game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It was never promised at full 1080p, and you will literally not notice a difference. It's not a bad argument, it's the truth. Stop complaining about nothing.

You have no idea what I will and will not notice, nor what anyone else will or will not notice. Don't be dense.

Madness

It's a cool feature for those who wants to see how the game was 10 years ago without having to exit a menu to then get into the old game.

But was it worth sacrificing the best image possible to do that? Think about past the initial times you use it. Every co-op playthrough, every speed run. You're at 1328x1080p primarily because of instant switching.

I played through the original Halo 2 campaign over 10+ times from start to end, done it twice on legendary. I personally don't need to see how it looked at this random structure in 2004 instantly. I'd rather have taken the higher visual fidelity, and kept the original campaign as a menu toggle or something.

Do you play the Wind Waker HD remake, and think man, I wish I could switch back to see it how looked in 2002 instantly as opposed to having it look the best it can. Probably used the switching feature less than 10 times in CEA and didn't do it again. Now with updated audio as well, why would I really want to keep switching back to classic Halo 2, and not only see a worse picture, but hear worse audio?

Serious question here,

Would anyone know the difference between 900p and 1080p if you weren't told what resolution the game you were playing was running at?

El_Chino

But was it worth sacrificing the best image possible to do that? Think about past the initial times you use it. Every co-op playthrough, every speed run. You're at 1328x1080p primarily because of instant switching.

I played through the original Halo 2 campaign over 10+ times from start to end, done it twice on legendary. I personally don't need to see how it looked at this random structure in 2004 instantly. I'd rather have taken the higher visual fidelity, and kept the original campaign as a menu toggle or something.

Do you play the Wind Waker HD remake, and think man, I wish I could switch back to see it how looked in 2002 instantly as opposed to having it look the best it can. Probably used the switching feature less than 10 times in CEA and didn't do it again. Now with updated audio as well, why would I really want to keep switching back to classic Halo 2, and not only see a worse picture, but hear worse audio?
I switch back and forth with CEA because I want to be amazed by how much has changed. Also it's great for people you plan on playing Co-op with who never played the original.

Bessy67

Serious question here,

Would anyone know the difference between 900p and 1080p if you weren't told what resolution the game you were playing was running at?
If you know what you're looking for you can make educated guesses about the resolution of a game on your TV. I doubt most people fire up a video game to try and determine the resolution though.

hell yeah

Fair enough.

If you know what you're looking for you can make educated guesses about the resolution of a game on your TV. I doubt most people fire up a video game to try and determine the resolution though.

The reason I ask is because I wouldn't be able to tell if a game was 900p or 1080p on my TV. But I would If I was to see the game side by side, at different resolutions.

Bit disappointing that they didn't tone down the assets / effects in order to preserve 1080p. I'd prefer if developers took an image quality first approach to graphics.

Madness

Serious question here,

Not really a question that is answerable because you could be watching a game run at 720p and not accurately guess what the precise resolution is. So it's not about knowing what the game currently has. But you can easily tell if an image is higher resolution or not, the change in 900p to 1080p is not as drastic as 480p to 1080p.

But the simple, actual fact is, 1920x1080 provides a cleaner and crisper image than 1328x1080 or 1600x900. There is no dispute in this. You also have more pixels to create the image.

I honestly don't even care if Halo 5 runs at 720p if that is the best possible resolution and visual fidelity they can achieve without affecting gameplay. I had no problem playing Halo 3 at 640p and sub 30 frames at times.

My problem becomes when the overall image quality is sacrificed for a somewhat niche mechanic. This is what 343 wanted and so you can't really say anything, but the dismissive "I'll just enjoy at so and so resolution", "Can you even notice the difference" need to stop. It's about wanting a better image when it's possible.

Magwik

Banned
Every co-op playthrough, every speed run. You're at 1328x1080p primarily because of instant switching.

\

You are exaggerating how much people actually care about the image quality of the game. Nobody is buying MCC for 1080p60FPS, they are buying it to play Halo 1, 2, and 3 online on their X1.
It's a really cool retrospective feature that no other games use.

The fact that it's a two-gen old game is totally irrelevant. They aren't just up-res-ing it like a standard HD remake, they're pretty much making a new game on the same geometry as the old one, right?

Forgoing 1080p in favour of an instant switch feature that most people would probably play with once or twice and never touch again seems very silly to me, though. 1328x1080 is definitely far enough away from 1080p to be noticeable (you're not going to get something indistinguishable from 1080p using only two thirds of the pixels).

Random17

You are exaggerating how much people actually care about the image quality of the game. Nobody is buying MCC for 1080p60FPS, they are buying it to play Halo 1, 2, and 3 online on their X1.

What Xbox One? I don't own one, but this game might make me. I'm certainly buying it for the overall improvement in image quality, which is one reason among a 100, yes. So yes, it is a disappointment for people like myself.

BlackBond's stuff is the very definition of fast-food, tabloid level video game blogging. Sensationalism, pure and unadulterated.

Obnoxious and narssistic I would say, however when he's not pulling grins like the Grinch and being an odious streak of piss, I think he's one of the better contributors to that small methane gas part of the Youtube community.

Madness

What? The collection is primarily based around the anniversary of Halo 2 which, on November 11th of this year, will have come out exactly ten years ago. And much like Combat Evolved Anniversary, will have a fully updated and remastered campaign. 343 went all out on the campaign, hiring Blur to do cinematics, going to Skywalker Sound to do audio, etc.

It's irrelevant what fans will be buying it for. Because the argument would still be valid if there was no Halo CE, Halo 3 or Halo 4 in the title. The whole point of this collection was built around Halo 2 Anniversary and the updated campaign and possibly multi-player.

Top Bottom