• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Magwik

Banned
What? The collection is primarily based around the anniversary of Halo 2 which, on November 11th of this year, will have come out exactly ten years ago. And much like Combat Evolved Anniversary, will have a fully updated and remastered campaign. 343 went all out on the campaign, hiring Blur to do cinematics, going to Skywalker Sound to do audio, etc.

It's irrelevant what fans will be buying it for. Because the argument would still be valid if there was no Halo CE, Halo 3 or Halo 4 in the title. The whole point of this collection was built around Halo 2 Anniversary and the updated campaign and possibly multi-player.
So you'd rather have less features for a slightly better looking picture? There were plenty of people that didn't like the CEA visuals and loved that they could switch to old visuals. Its now a staple for Halo remasters. The game would then go on and receive criticism for not including the feature, etc etc.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

ZVua6.gif

Random17

So you'd rather have less features for a slightly better looking picture? There were plenty of people that didn't like the CEA visuals and loved that they could switch to old visuals. Its now a staple for Halo remasters. The game would then go on and receive criticism for not including the feature, etc etc.

It's a niche feature that's compromising on image quality. Yes, new people to the franchise will enjoy it. Those who have played the Campaign for hundreds, if not thousands of hours, will not. Madness and myself are part of that group and for us specifically, it isn't a good decision.

It's certainly not anything major, but it is disappointing to us.

Madness

Yeah. I'd rather have had as best a campaign as possible than be tethered to a ten year old game where I can switch instantly. Do you play Last of Us on PS4 hoping you can switch back to the PS3 version? Or play Wind Waker HD on Wii U and hope you can see what it looked like on Gamecube?

How is it a staple when it was only done once? And it was fade in and fade out then? You're also changing your argument. You said people aren't buying this for image or campaign, but because they can play Halo CE, Halo 3 all in one package etc. But now you're saying this switching back and forth is such an important feature.

I'd venture to say that in a remaster, especially an HD one, updated visuals and audio trump everything. If anything, 343 had it infinitely harder by sticking to this switching aspect, rather than having classic/updated toggles in a menu.

When I run through Halo 2 Anniversary I want it to look the best it can. I don't want it to look slightly worse than it could have due to a feature I won't use more than 5 times max.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's a niche feature that's compromising on image quality. Yes, new people to the franchise will enjoy it. Those who have played the Campaign for hundreds, if not thousands of hours, will not. Madness and myself are part of that group and for us specifically, it isn't a good decision.

I totally get your personal perspective.

Guess which method would have been easier and cheaper to do?

It's for new users, classic users and collectors who enjoy the feature. I suspect you will enjoy the graphics more than you think and if you don't I hope you enjoy the breadth of content.

Madness

It's for new users, classic users and collectors who enjoy the feature. I suspect you will enjoy the graphics more than you think and if you don't I hope you enjoy the breadth of content.

Oh yeah, I can't speak for others, and I know I'll have a blast playing, can't wait to see the updated visuals and audio. My only point is to have discussion on the merits of the switch feature versus best image quality.

Was there a reason why 1328x1080 was chosen over say 1280x1080 or 1600x900?

OverHeat

« generous god »

Why not give the option to only play H2A with updated graphics at 1080p without the old version? Is it something that would be possible?

Random17

I totally get your personal perspective but you're making a sweeping personal generalization as if it's a numerical fact.

I will enjoy the game no doubt, but one part of me still irks for it to be 1080p. Just a question; was this due to a lack of stable 60FPS framerate in certain missions in the Campaign, e.g. Metropolis, Quarantine Zone?

That is my primary suspicion for why you guys weren't able to make it to 1080p before November release when combined with the switching feature.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I will enjoy the game no doubt, but one part of me still irks for it to be 1080p. Just a question; was this due to a lack of stable 60FPS framerate in certain missions in the Campaign, e.g. Metropolis, Quarantine Zone?

That is my primary suspicion for why you guys weren't able to make it to 1080p before November release when combined with the switching feature.

I have explained like a hundred times. Can't tell if trolling.

Magwik

Banned

Its because its running two engines at the same time. Its in the OP

Killer

Banned
As expected this turned into resolution discussion. I hope there's a note to read OP in thread title.

Soon. I watched a cut of the video today and it made me want to play Halo: CE MP RIGHT MEOW!

I REALLY miss Halo 1 pistol. Playing this online is a dream come true. Though a little bit late.

Stinlkles, Are we getting more information about the ranking system? gonna be acroos 4 games or each game has its own ranking?

Random17

I have explained like a hundred times. Can't tell if trolling.

No no no, I think I didn't make myself clear.

When combined with the fact that it runs two engines simultaneously, the fact that it is not at 1080p 60FPS suggests that it wasn't able to hold a stable framerate at that resolution, hence why it was dropped to 1328x1080, correct?

What I am asking is whether or not that occurred in certain missions which were more demanding.

Magwik

Banned

When combined with the fact that it runs two engines simultaneously, the fact that it is not at 1080p 60FPS suggests that it wasn't able to hold a stable framerate at that resolution, hence why it was dropped to 1328x1080, correct?

What I am asking is whether or not that occurred in certain missions which were more demanding.
Why does it matter?

Random17

Why does it matter?

I'm just curious as for whether or not it links to the issues on those levels themselves. I've played way too much of Halo 2's campaign to not ask this question, haha. Also affects how speedrunning is approached on those levels.

Madness

I would assume so, but the campaigns aren't static. They could probably have the game be 4K if all chief was doing was walking around some foliage, but it would probably grind to a halt when enemies came or the grenades and bullets fly.

You wouldn't want to play a game where it's 720p for one more intensive level, and then have it switched to 1080p for another level (don't even think that's possible).

I think at the end of the day, they found they could easily hit 720p for the entirety of the campaign, but wanted to go as high as possible without then impacting 60 fps.

hwalker84

Yeah. I'd rather have had as best a campaign as possible than be tethered to a ten year old game where I can switch instantly. Do you play Last of Us on PS4 hoping you can switch back to the PS3 version? Or play Wind Waker HD on Wii U and hope you can see what it looked like on Gamecube?

How is it a staple when it was only done once? And it was fade in and fade out then? You're also changing your argument. You said people aren't buying this for image or campaign, but because they can play Halo CE, Halo 3 all in one package etc. But now you're saying this switching back and forth is such an important feature.

I'd venture to say that in a remaster, especially an HD one, updated visuals and audio trump everything. If anything, 343 had it infinitely harder by sticking to this switching aspect, rather than having classic/updated toggles in a menu.

When I run through Halo 2 Anniversary I want it to look the best it can. I don't want it to look slightly worse than it could have due to a feature I won't use more than 5 times max.

Agree 100% but the switch was unfortunately made standard by Halo Anniversary and I feel like it was a boat anchor for 343. They seem to be happy with the finished product and I certainly will be playing this day one.

Madness

Frank, how does 60 fps hold up in the multiplayers? What if I was to play split screen Halo 4 on Wreckage and directly stare into the sun part, while simultaneously firing incineration cannons. Any slowdown?

Random17

I would assume so, but the campaigns aren't static. They could probably have the game be 4K if all chief was doing was walking around some foliage, but it would probably grind to a halt when enemies came or the grenades and bullets fly.

You wouldn't want to play a game where it's 720p for one more intensive level, and then have it switched to 1080p for another level (don't even think that's possible).

I think at the end of the day, they found they could easily hit 720p for the entirety of the campaign, but wanted to go as high as possible without then impacting 60 fps.

That's what I'm thinking, too. The reason I asked the question is that Quarantine Zone is notorious for its laggy episodes at times, and I was curious as to whether or not that affected the development of this game.

Okay, I'll show myself out.

Bsigg12

Meanwhile any ETA for pre-loading? I can't wait to load this bad boy up. oh man oh man. I just can't wait.

I would assume 2 weeks out (October 28th, also known as Sunset Overdrive Day) since that seems to be Microsoft's pattern now. Hopefully it's a ET release like Horizon 2 (though they royally screwed that one).

Edit: I got my timezones wrong!

JeffG

Why not give the option to only play H2A with updated graphics at 1080p without the old version? Is it something that would be possible?

Time and money

Thats all that would be required

So 1 extra mode with extra resolution will add X # of days programming/testing

How many sales will get added if they do that?

How many are lost if they don't?

Economic reality

Sometimes time is more important. They probably had a release date in mind.

All projects go through this.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

RowdyReverb

I'd say graphics switching makes a bigger impact on game experience than a few hundred more lines of vertical resolution. I think it's a really unique feature that illustrates how important core gameplay is to a game's lasting popularity. Also, the juxtaposition between modern graphics and dated game design is fascinating to experience. Halo 2's campaign isn't there for eye candy, it's there to take us back 10 years in time and remind us both how much games have changed and how much they've stayed the same.

Madness

You know what, I have to apologize to 343 here. Why are we even arguing over this. If anything, it just takes away from the game and makes it seem somewhat lesser. This collection is one of the best and most value packed in a long time. If it goes off without a hitch, it'll be one of the best and most comprehensive FPS multiplayer suites ever.

This game hasn't gotten a fraction of the attention and recognition it deserves. Just think about the time and effort that has gone into making it happen, even if the games itself are ports. We get a fully remastered Halo 2 campaign, complete with re-recorded and updated audio, and cinema quality cinematic cutscenes.

The last thing we need to be doing is making it seem like this collection is a bad thing and focusing solely on negatives, even if they're easier to pick out. Let's all eagerly wait till November, finally get back to playing Halo, and in December, getting a 3+ week taste of halo 5.

Madness

Wat

So the original edition is 1080p but the Anniversary edition isnt? o_O

Well the original is ten years old and from two console generations ago, and has been bumped up to 1080p/60FPS and runs in sync with the new campaign, meaning that you're technically running two games at once at the same time.

The anniversary edition updates a lot of the geometry, lighting, textures, animations, enemy models, and makes it look somewhat like a next/current gen title.

Halo5 mult iplayer I hope is amazing. Because if it isn't Halo 5 will fall on deaf ears because of this package. Halo 1-3 is all I need for my fix. So if Halo5 doesn't pull me away 343i is going to have a real issue on their hands. I hope they realize this.

I play the campaign also so I know I will get the game regardless, but if the multi player is not up to snuff expect it to die harder, and faster than Halo 4.

Bsigg12

Halo5 mult iplayer I hope is amazing. Because if it isn't Halo 5 will fall on deaf ears because of this package. Halo 1-3 is all I need for my fix. So if Halo5 doesn't pull me away 343i is going to have a real issue on their hands. I hope they realize this.

I play the campaign also so I know I will get the game regardless, but if the multi player is not up to snuff expect it to die harder, and faster than Halo 4.

We'll find out December 29th what Halo 5 is made of in an early stage so starting thinking about getting the popcorn ready because that thread is going to be a doozy

The instant switching may seem like a niche feature, but when Fable Anniversary came out people were asking/lamenting why it didn't have the instant switching that Halo CEA had. It's probably more popular than you think. I certainly like it.

The instant switching may seem like a niche feature, but when Fable Anniversary came out people were asking/lamenting why it didn't have the instant switching that Halo CEA had. It's probably more popular than you think. I certainly like it.

This is a good point. I did wonder sometimes what Fable originally looked like at plenty of times, i'll certainly switch a few times to see what its like on H2A although I can't imagine i'll do it for very long.

I completely disagree. If people literally put in hundreds of hours into the campaign before, not having true 1080p is hardly going to take away from a revamped and improved experience. This 1080p whining is incredible. Its like a new fad on neogaf. Funny thing about video games, no matter how much you improve the resolution they still look like video games.

Madness

I shouldn't have mentioned numbers either. My earlier points were meant to be about discussion about whether it was worth it to sacrifice best possible visual fidelity for instant switching.

I agree the concrete number discussion is pretty crazy. Anytime a new game is mentioned, it's the first thing that is brought up. If you search Halo 2 Anniversary right now, a lot of articles seem to have "campaign not 1080p" as the headline. The worst is when people bring up other random games which hit these numbers as a way to detract from others. As if games development is the same, with the same amount of time, money, and even genre of game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I think that if they included an alternative "original visuals" mode it would satisfy a very similar desire without compromising the entire campaign.

Madness

That's great for new players. Does it show the weapons placement too?

zw78JTD.jpg

That would be tougher since weapons and placements always change, especially as the community starts playing. Though I can't say for certain whether areas on the map/callouts or weapon spawns will be shown.

I think this a good compromise for those who said global ordnance was good because newbies have it tough learning spawns or the map. It's sort of like Gears is.

Ogimachi

How is it cheaper and easier to run graphics and audio engines from both versions simultaneously rather than having them available separately?
It's a gimmick, and hardly justifies cutting the resolution by 30%.

This is such a non-issue. ONE element out of the entire package is sub 1080p 60fps. Considering its running two engines at the same time I am not at all upset over the "revelation" of H2A running sub 1080p.

I do agree it's a non issue, but I question their choice of missing the mark of 1080p/60fps on all games just for a instant switch feature... Do people really change the graphics render that much to warrant a instant switch?

Btw, the dual game rendering also reminded me recent test from Digital Foundry's i7 5960X review :)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-intel-core-i7-5960x-review

iVT1lgBnZOKmu.jpg

Puts some things into perspective about this generation.

Holy shit. Puts lots of things in perspective actually XD

Top Bottom