• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Montresor

That's an awful lot to take in in just a month or two. Surprised you can list all that off like that! Pretty cool.
Must have been kind of wild to get all that information in such a short time. It took 10 years for a lot of us and there were a lot of mysteries and theories.

I assume youve only played the games and not gotten into the books or comics yet. Did you feel like 4 had enough context for its events to still make sense? Did it leave you confused about anything?

How about what you've played of 5 so far? Same question.

Before touching Halo 4, I had watched all the previous games' terminals (including reading the Halo 3 terminals) so I wasn't completely lost. When I saw the Didact, I didn't say "Who?". I was more like "Holy crap, so that's the Didact?"

Admittedly he's barely referenced in previous games. In Halo 1 or 2 there are terminals where 343 Guilty Spark refers to the Didact + Librarian and Halo 3 terminals have lengthy written conversation logs between the Didact and the Librarian. These characters have small nuggets of information hidden throughout the previous games but they're there nonetheless.

So by the time I started Halo 4, I knew the Didact and Librarian were Promethean and Forerunner, I knew they were responsible for building the Halo array, I knew the Librarian was level-headed and the Didact had a bad temper, and I knew the Librarian was dead.

Having said that Neogaffer Barrow Roll recommended I watch the Halo 4 terminals as I play the game - initially I ignored his advice but I'm very glad I relented. It helped make his motivations (i.e. Why is he angry? What is the Mantle?) much clearer.

Re: Halo 5 so far I love it. The game is gorgeous, fun, performs excellently, has a great art style, interesting story, good level design and gun play, and great characters. Love Lasky, Locke, Palmer, Buck, Chief, Cortana, Halsey, etc...

Am I lost? No but only because so much is fresh in my mind. I know exactly who Buck is thanks to ODST. I know about Jul, Halsey, Lasky, and Palmer thanks to Spartan Ops cutscenes (which are part of Halo 4). This is all without me ever having watched a movie, seen a show, read a comic or read a book.

Locke, Tanaka, Vale, and Blue Team are all new but I'm managing. From playing Halo 5, Locke is clearly a top-tier ONI spy/agent/spartan, Vale is awesome because she can speak Sangheli, and within a couple of missions it's obvious Blue Team are tight-knit like a family. Blue Team probably could have used more back story... That was a missed opportunity, but I'm gleaning enough information off the cutscenes to "get" what Blue Team is all about.

After starting Halo 5 I've watched the Forward Unto Dawn movie and episode 1 of The Fall Of Reach show. I enjoyed them both.

Fuchsdh

Before touching Halo 4, I had watched all the previous games' terminals (including reading the Halo 3 terminals) so I wasn't completely lost. When I saw the Didact, I didn't say "Who?". I was more like "Holy crap, so that's the Didact?"

Admittedly he's barely referenced in previous games. In Halo 1 or 2 there are terminals where 343 Guilty Spark refers to the Didact + Librarian and Halo 3 terminals have lengthy written conversation logs between the Didact and the Librarian. These characters have small nuggets of information hidden throughout the previous games but they're there nonetheless.

So by the time I started Halo 4, I knew the Didact and Librarian were Promethean and Forerunner, I knew they were responsible for building the Halo array, I knew the Librarian was level-headed and the Didact had a bad temper, and I knew the Librarian was dead.

Having said that Neogaffer Barrow Roll recommended I watch the Halo 4 terminals as I play the game - initially I ignored his advice but I'm very glad I relented. It helped make his motivations (i.e. Why is he angry? What is the Mantle?) much clearer.

Re: Halo 5 so far I love it. The game is gorgeous, fun, performs excellently, has a great art style, interesting story, good level design and gun play, and great characters. Love Lasky, Locke, Palmer, Buck, Chief, Cortana, Halsey, etc...

Am I lost? No but only because so much is fresh in my mind. I know exactly who Buck is thanks to ODST. I know about Jul, Halsey, Lasky, and Palmer thanks to Spartan Ops cutscenes (which are part of Halo 4). This is all without me ever having watched a movie, seen a show, read a comic or read a book.

Locke, Tanaka, Vale, and Blue Team are all new but I'm managing. From playing Halo 5, Locke is clearly a top-tier ONI spy/agent/spartan, Vale is awesome because she can speak Sangheli, and within a couple of missions it's obvious Blue Team are tight-knit like a family. Blue Team probably could have used more back story... That was a missed opportunity, but I'm gleaning enough information off the cutscenes to "get" what Blue Team is all about.

After starting Halo 5 I've watched the Forward Unto Dawn movie and episode 1 of The Fall Of Reach show. I enjoyed them both.

Glad to hear you're enjoying things.

Anybody still playing this alongside Halo 5
and Black Ops 3?

Also, these playlists need a damn population counter. 343 please update the playlists and consolidate a few. Don't abandon us =(

Fuchsdh

Anybody still playing this alongside Halo 5
and Black Ops 3?

Also, these playlists need a damn population counter. 343 please update the playlists and consolidate a few. Don't abandon us =(

What playlists could be that consolidated, though? It's covering four games and their multiplayer modes. Unless you got rid of the single game lists at the bottom and the H2A list, everything's fairly glommed together as it is.

What playlists could be that consolidated, though? It's covering four games and their multiplayer modes. Unless you got rid of the single game lists at the bottom and the H2A list, everything's fairly glommed together as it is.

yeah, you're right. just add some population counters.

Random17

Picked up an Xbox and I was pleasantly surprised to see the game working.

Unfortunately I think the population is low, especially in Aus/NZ. If the game released like this 1 year ago, things would be different. The campaigns are great, and the multiplayer games I have played are inconsistent, mostly due to quitters and connections. Great games to bad games. The usual.

When it all clicks, it's Halo in its prime. CE has grown on me in this collection, while Halo 3 has lost favor.

At this point the playlists should be cut down drastically to 5 or 6. Have Team Slayer, H2A, Action Sack, Doubles, SWAT and Rumble Pit. Quality>Choice, the game feels like it is 3 or 4 years old in terms of its population. There's nothing to lose with this change, since the launch of MCC was a worst case scenario.

Hesemonni

Banned
Holy shit at Halo 2 on Legendary. Just barely managed Cairo Station and even that took me about 1.5hrs. The game is brutal :/

Fury Sense

Been nostalgic for Halo 3 matchmaking for a while now, curious about MCC. I heard that MCC sucks and that nothing 343 can do will ever solve it, but I want to believe. Is there any hope?

Really wanna play some competitive team slayer on Lockout, Ivory Tower, Midship, Guardian, and The Pit if possible. Then maybe a lil' team snipers on valhalla and every other map, some big team battle, and of course some SWAT to round it out.

Possible?

Toa TAK

Banned
Been nostalgic for Halo 3 matchmaking for a while now, curious about MCC. I heard that MCC sucks and that nothing 343 can do will ever solve it, but I want to believe. Is there any hope?

Really wanna play some competitive team slayer on Lockout, Ivory Tower, Midship, Guardian, and The Pit if possible. Then maybe a lil' team snipers on valhalla and every other map, some big team battle, and of course some SWAT to round it out.

Possible?

I can't speak for everyone, but my experience with TMCC is that solo matchmaking is fine, it's just whenever you want to go into it in a party is where it mostly dies.

Also Halo 3 co-op tends to be a nightmare, but that's just me.

Fuchsdh

At least for me (NA player) I've had no issues with solo matchmaking in months, co-op campaign is exactly as you remember (aka fun but inconsistent in experience) and going into multiplayer with a party works most of the time but after X number of games the chances your party will be split after completing a game or someone can't rejoin without power cycling approach 1.

Fury Sense

Oh I never considered that party matchmaking would be a problem. But it sounds like everything works well enough that it's not unplayable. Thanks guys

Montresor

MCC achievements spoiled me a bit. The other day I finished collecting all 117 intel for the Hunt The Truth achievement in Halo 5... If this was MCC, there would be 117 different 5-gamerscore achievements for collecting each individual piece of intel, and then a 20-gamerscore achievement for collecting them all, heh. It may sound unreasonable but it felt incredibly satisfying to go after those ODST audio logs in MCC for this reason.

But having said that... I think I'm close to getting burned out. Once I beat each campaign on Legendary I think I'll go after playlists and then be done. I won't go after Par Time any more... which means I can't hit my target of 5000/6000 gamerscore. I'll live with 4500/6000. *shrug* I can't play through these games a 5th time.

1st playthrough: normal
2nd playthrough: various misc. chapter replays for collectibles and misc. achievements
3rd playthrough: legendary
4th playthrough: playlist achievements (including MCC saga)
5th playthrough: par time? nah I won't do this

Toa TAK

Banned
Speaking of audio logs, has anyone's ODST audio dairy achievements unlocked yet? I still have two that are in the process of them.

IronWarrior

Neo Member

Possible?

In my experience the main Team Slayer (social with the original 3 games) playlist finds matches pretty quickly, and ranked Doubles (across all games) does okay too. The per-game playlists I have a bit of trouble with, but I mostly do Halo 3 so 2 might be a bit better.

Big Team Battle takes usually 3-4 minutes for me to get a match, and about 25% of the time some very, very evil people vote for H2A or H4.

To round it off every probably 15 games or so after the match loads I'll just get kicked to the lobby. Given that it's been over a year, I'm guessing this will be as good as it gets...but when it all works, your favourite Halo is just as you remembered it and man is it fun.

Akai__

Speaking of audio logs, has anyone's ODST audio dairy achievements unlocked yet? I still have two that are in the process of them.

Nope, but I contacted Frankie about this and the Killjoy achievement and he said he will forward it to the right people. Hope to see a patch that fixes these issues.

Montresor

Is it just me or is Halo 4 Legendary much harder than Halo 5 Legendary.

Just started Halo 4 solo Legendary after completing Halo 5 and I'm struggling at the first big sandbox fight on Requiem (Mission 3).

Is it just me or is Halo 4 Legendary much harder than Halo 5 Legendary.

Just started Halo 4 solo Legendary after completing Halo 5 and I'm struggling at the first big sandbox fight on Requiem (Mission 3).

It's not just you hahah.

Halo 5 is easily the easiest Legendary. And despite what people say about the friendly AI sucking, I'd say they were a huge part of why it was so much easier for me. They were absolutely invaluable in my playthrough.

Kibbles

Wat. I beat all the Halo's on Legendary solo and 5 seems the hardest so far :S (actually my memory is terrible so maybe the others were just as frustrating. Haven't beat H2A on Legendary yet) Idk I just hate how long it takes to kill the damn Prometheans. Bullet sponges

Wat. I beat all the Halo's on Legendary solo and 5 seems the hardest so far :S (actually my memory is terrible so maybe the others were just as frustrating. Haven't beat H2A on Legendary yet) Idk I just hate how long it takes to kill the damn Prometheans. Bullet sponges

Prometheans really aren't that bad, especially if you have a Suppresser. That thing is beastly against Knights and Soldiers alike. Cuts right through them on any difficulty. Also, it can help to mark any troublesome Prometheans to get the extra rounds pouring in. Your shots combined with the AI can make short work of any Soldier.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I finally got around to Halo 4 and LMAO what is this ridiculous helmet HUD.

Fuchsdh

So I finally got around to Halo 4 and LMAO what is this ridiculous helmet HUD.

Yeah I think in both 4 and 5 they just need to dial back the helmet chrome. You can give the impression you're inside a suit without all the blockers on your vision or crazy amount of lines.

One thing I really like about the campaign design this go around though—waypoints aren't persistent, and you can ignore them if you want or summon them via the ARTEMIS/down on the d-pad. Makes it feel more like I can do my own thing and discover what I'm supposed to do next, or not feel compelled to take a certain route.

Fuchsdh

Just be glad,
or sad
, that they didnt use this effect :p ..

https://youtu.be/wGlJv_AIU8Q?t=10m42s

It's kind of cool, but from a pure gameplay standpoint probably not the best choice.

I really don't like the blur effect when you get hit by explosions though. I'd rather have red glare or even that hexagonal effect instead of making it so I can't see what I'm trying to shoot at. It's funny how it's progressed, though—in CE I don't actually feel like I'm taking that much damage because the indicators are comparatively slight versus many modern games and later series entries.

Toa TAK

Banned
As a big fan of Metroid Prime, I very much enjoy the helmet view. However, Metroid Prime also allowed you to customize the helmet and HUD opacity if you didn't like it, something Halo should have also brought over.

That would've been cool. I really did like that idea in the video, but I can see the issues gameplay-wise as well.

jem0208

I think H5's legenedary is easier because the enemies aren't massive bullet sponges anymore. It's quite nice actually, not constantly forced to use cheese moves to get through like the noob combo.

Toa TAK

Banned
Halo 5's Legendary is much easier, thankfully. The enemy reconfigurationa and team AI with revival make it and much more pleasant experience than 4.

Montresor

I'm glad to see it's not just me then (re: Halo 4 being harder than Halo 5).

Still I finally got through Requiem and it was so damn satisfying. You have to choose your weapon loadout carefully and intelligently plan out every combat encounter. It's all about patiently advancing through the battlefield. If I know Elites are nearby I'll try to grab a plasma pistol and use the famous "noob-combo" (fully charged plasma to take down shield and then headshot Elite). I'll use BR or Carbine to headshot jackals and grunts from afar. I will ALWAYS pick up a Beam Rifle or Concussion Rifle, use up its ammo and then go back to my previous loadout.

But right now I'm only on Forerunner (Mission 4) and reached the Promethean Knight for the first time and gave up quickly for the day.

On Halo 5 you could three-or-four shot any Knight using a good precision weapon. Just hit their glowing orbs/vents on the side of their faces - once those orbs/vents explode, the Knight will show his face very briefly. If you hit the Knight's face, he's dead. If you didn't, then you can try again with the Knight's second orb/vent, but if you mess that up then you're screwed. The punishment for not being a good aimer in that scenario (i.e. wasting the Knight's orbs/vents) is the Knight becomes a bullet sponge, which I thought was fair.

Does the same apply in Halo 4? It doesn't seem like the Knights in Halo 4 have yellow glowy orbs/vents. :(

Montresor

I think what may be hurting me too on Forerunner is I'm getting a bit greedy and trying to go for achievement below on Legendary:

Beat Forerunner on Heroic/Legendary while always carrying a UNSC weapon.

But if I was allowed to carry a Suppressor and Light Rifle at all times the level might be a lot easier on Legendary... I'm wondering if I should say screw it, use whatever weapons I want to beat the level on Legendary, and then just replay the level on Heroic for that achievement.

Fuchsdh

I think what may be hurting me too on Forerunner is I'm getting a bit greedy and trying to go for achievement below on Legendary:

Beat Forerunner on Heroic/Legendary while always carrying a UNSC weapon.

But if I was allowed to carry a Suppressor and Light Rifle at all times the level might be a lot easier on Legendary... I'm wondering if I should say screw it, use whatever weapons I want to beat the level on Legendary, and then just replay the level on Heroic for that achievement.

It should be possible to do as long as you have a light rifle, but you're definitely making it harder on yourself.

Yeah, when I get home from work today I'll just use whatever weapons I want and replay it on Heroic later.
Light Rifle, Bolt Shot and Sentry Turret are a great go-to load out. Lay down a Sentry Turret and Knights completely forget about you, which opens them up to a fully charged Bolt Shot blast. You should be able to pop em in the skull after one of those. Swap out the Bolt Shot for Scattershots, Binary Rifles or Incineration Cannons when/if you can.

I've dived back into this and am enjoying more than halo 5 and black ops 3! (Someone asked up the thread)

Played a bunch of BTB yesterday which was great, also I never tried the halo 1 4v4 playlist before but enjoyed the few games I played yesterday

This collection really is fantastic - it's just a shame how buggy it was on release and how low the population is because of it. (I've only started playing again in the last week after avoiding it)

ramparter

Banned
Finally bought an Xbox One and a friend lent me his MCC copy. I also own a 360 but never played a Halo game before.

So I decided to take them from the start and played the first stage from Halo Anniversary last night. The backgrounds were all the same so I was lost a bit at some point but the shooting and the pace was fun. Also the upgrade is really decent. I'm excited, it's been a long tie since I played a single player fps.

Fuchsdh

Finally bought an Xbox One and a friend lent me his MCC copy. I also own a 360 but never played a Halo game before.

So I decided to take them from the start and played the first stage from Halo Anniversary last night. The backgrounds were all the same so I was lost a bit at some point but the shooting and the pace was fun. Also the upgrade is really decent. I'm excited, it's been a long tie since I played a single player fps.

The first mission is kind of supposed to be samey, so they can wow you over with the second. Hope you enjoy the game.

Is Halo CE anniversary in the MCC identical to the 360 release?
Aside from being in 1080p and an unlocked 60fps, I'm pretty sure it is, bugs notwithstanding. Last I checked, there were some issues with starting the game in Classic Mode. Also, I think the Remastered Soundtrack would revert to the Classic Soundtrack after you died, or restarted from the last checkpoint.

Also, I was never able to find another report of this issue, but in Classic Mode, the mouths would not animate during the cutscenes for me. Just static faces while people talked, it was really weird.

Is Halo CE anniversary in the MCC identical to the 360 release?

More or less. The graphical toggle is instantaneous now, it runs at 1080p/60FPS, and the Kinect functions were cut, but other than that it's exactly the same.

Oh, and the Reach-based multiplayer is gone, but the original multiplayer (well, PC version) is back.

Montresor

My progress has been sloooooooooooooowwwww.

But I'm finally halfway through Halo 4 on Legendary. The Forerunner level (Mission 4) was ridiculously hard. Dawn (Mission 2), Requiem (Mission 3), and Infinity (Mission 5) were way easier by comparison.

There is an achievement glitch that is benefiting me currently. It seems like every time I finish a Halo 4 level I get 50-100 "games played" added to my record. So I beat the level Forerunner and I unlocked the achievement for Playing 250 Missions/Games even though I'm pretty sure I was far away from hitting that number. Then I beat the level Infnity and unlocked the achievements for Playing 300 Missions/Games and Playing 350 Missions/Games.

I'm happy with that kind of glitch. :)

Fuchsdh

My progress has been sloooooooooooooowwwww.

But I'm finally halfway through Halo 4 on Legendary. The Forerunner level (Mission 4) was ridiculously hard. Dawn (Mission 2), Requiem (Mission 3), and Infinity (Mission 5) were way easier by comparison.

There is an achievement glitch that is benefiting me currently. It seems like every time I finish a Halo 4 level I get 50-100 "games played" added to my record. So I beat the level Forerunner and I unlocked the achievement for Playing 250 Missions/Games even though I'm pretty sure I was far away from hitting that number. Then I beat the level Infnity and unlocked the achievements for Playing 300 Missions/Games and Playing 350 Missions/Games.

I'm happy with that kind of glitch. :)

Yeah apparently that's been happening with some other people. better things unlock early rather than never unlock, so I don't think people can complain :)

Only got three achievements left in H5, then I'm going to get back and start working on my speed strats for H1.... putting off Halo 2 legendary as long as possible. It's kind of amazing, I don't think there's any other game I love so much yet absolutely hate at the same time. When I look back at the campaign I mostly just think of the tedium and Flood-filled corridors of pain.

Montresor

Well 343 gives but they take away too.

I'm near the end of Reclaimer (mission 6) on Halo 4 solo legendary and my save file now freezes and crashes the game when I try to load the level.

Tried hard restarts and deleting and redownloading the game, which hasn't helped. Will have to restart the level. Thankfully the level is insanely easy. I haven't had a real firefight yet. I cheesed everything and got up to the sniper alley before the save became damaged. =/

Top Bottom