• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

Kr0ni

Neo Member
Decided to cancel my pre-order. I wanted to play HW:DE well before the release of HW2. But if it doesn't even have achievements currently available I won't bother to play it. While I see people are saying they'll unlock in 2 months time.. I just can't trust they will.

Nice to hear that it is looking good though. I'll wait until February before I commit to it.

m23

Decided to cancel my pre-order. I wanted to play HW:DE well before the release of HW2. But if it doesn't even have achievements currently available I won't bother to play it. While I see people are saying they'll unlock in 2 months time.. I just can't trust they will.

Nice to hear that it is looking good though. I'll wait until February before I commit to it.

I just played the first mission and unlocked two achievements in the game.

phants

That's interesting; is this a common point of view?

Roboculus

Yeah, all of this "early access" business feel very hastily slapped together here. I get the impression that that they decided to do this quite recently.

Why else would they choose to give out codes in waves when it would surely be much easier for them to just let people download the game from the store? The only explanation that makes sense to me is a technical limitation. Like maybe they need more time to get it ready for the store but they didn't wanna wait until next year.

And if that's the case then yeah, they really should have just waited because they clearly need more time to sort things out.

Nowise10

People have different results for whatever reason. My experience is:

Pre-paid money on account: Get charged immediately.
Paying with PayPal or CC: Get charged ~10 days prior to release.

So in theory you could get this game for free if you preorder the ultimate edition, get your code, and then cancel?

Cranster

Banned
I've completed 3 missions so far and despite it being an incomplete game it is a fun and polished experience so far. No major bugs or issues so far other than having trouble redeeming the token to download it.

So in theory you could get this game for free if you preorder the ultimate edition, get your code, and then cancel?
It's a good way to have the license revoked or get your account banned.

Kr0ni

Neo Member
That's interesting; is this a common point of view?

Might not be common, but I've played through the game multiple times on other tags already. I'm also an achievement hunter with a huge backlog so it's something I consider.

But... now I see someone has unlocked achievements.. but oh well I guess I'll just wait anyways since they don't seem to show up on TrueAchievements as of yet.

phants

Might not be common, but I've played through the game multiple times on other tags already. I'm also an achievement hunter with a huge backlog so it's something I consider.

But... now I see someone has unlocked achievements.. but oh well I guess I'll just wait anyways since they don't seem to show up on TrueAchievements as of yet.

Ah ok, makes sense then. I had the CE of the original and played it as far as I could, but eventually felt hampered by the controls, so for me it's a chance to play the game in a way that I'm personally more comfortable with and hopefully see it through to the end. I went physical, though, so I'll be waiting until next year I suspect.

Achievements are definitely there and unlockable, you just can't pull them up in the side-bar.

Played 3 missions and it's running very smooth indeed, forgot how good the controls were for a console RTS as well. Great port imo.

Hawk269

Jesus that looks smooth.
It is very smooth on both, but playing Pc at 4k and the on the One the Pc is smoother. Framerate does feel smooth on One but I don't think it is solid 60. Seems mostly 60 with small hitches here and there

Saiyan-Rox

Really want to play this but don't want to order the ultimate edition digitally :(

Guess I gotta wait.

Unless someone wants to sell their code <.<

Also gonna be that guy and ask if wide-screen support for the PC is there?

U2NUMB

This waiting for a code thing is so stupid.. It just makes no sense from a company like MS.. not like HW2 is going to be the biggest selling game all year, why do they need to split up the codes? Hell why do we even have codes? My account says I own it already just can not download it..

Frustrated as hell..

mcfrank

This waiting for a code thing is so stupid.. It just makes no sense from a company like MS.. not like HW2 is going to be the biggest selling game all year, why do they need to split up the codes? Hell why do we even have codes? My account says I own it already just can not download it..

Frustrated as hell..

Yeah. I would expect this for the first version of Xbox live 12 years ago, certainly not from a 2016 product.

ManCannon

To folks looking for the game on PC - I just finished installing on my home PC. I too wasn't sure where/how to actually download it. At the store I saw there was a small download for Halo Wars 2 so I got that first but nope. Then I launched the Halo App and it had the option to "Install" Halo Wars: DE and it verified my ownership and presto, GG.

Also re: achievements, I've heard they may start showing up as early as tomorrow. You do unlock/earn them now but they aren't displaying yet.

Werd

I wrote up my impressions at Ars earlier today: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/halo-wars-is-finally-on-pc-and-hey-it-aint-so-bad/

Deets on custom resolution support (meaning, lack thereof), custom bindings, and more.

Yeah playing some more I ran into the control issue with some of the special attacks. I thought the covenant was fine, dragging the Brute/Prophet attacks around worked for me and Arbiter is a mixed bag.. advantage to be able to click on individual units but makes it hard to hit air or smaller units. But anything that is stuck to the center of the screen, like MAC Blasts and ODST drops, was pretty awkward to adjust. Would have been nice if they were converted to just click anywhere on the screen, but I guess that would have been a more significant change than anything done to the game especially since it still needs controller support at the same time. Maybe they can adjust it a bit.

edit: That clip's 4K processed if you want to see it actually sharp (higher bitrate regardless of actual monitor resolution).

U2NUMB

Well I got my answer from Twitter (someone who would know).. I pre ordered on the 15th and was told I am a few days out.. super let down by the communication on this as I was looking forward to taking advantage of my week off.

Edit: Ok sometimes Twitter is awesome.. was taking care of...

Tecnniqe

Banned
EYRpuaz.gif
Yeah, gif apply here too still

Mrbob

So after seeing I had like 60 space bucks in my account I ordered this anyway....Now I'm waiting for a code for halo de? Fun never stops on this train

I didn't play the first game and figured I can finish it in my winter break. Well not if I don't get a code for the game.

Hawk269

You are too early.

Keep getting that message on PC. Do I have to wait for a code?

Yes. You have to wait for a code that unlocks the game. If your pre-ordered before the Dec 14th, you should of received a code today, but reading the forum that is not true. Many did, many did not get it.

Slight Rant/Suggestion to MS/343i: Just open the gate and give the game away to everyone. Make it a Holiday Surprise. Yeah, there might be some that get sour because they paid for the Ultimate Edition, perhaps give those folks something, but what better way to promote your NEW game Halo Wars 2 than to get people interested in the first game.

Gitaroo

You need to wait until Microsoft remembers that you bought the game so they may send you a code.

Don't ask why, I'm sure someone will be quick to point out that it's a perfectly logical way of delivering games.

But I did get the code and already activate this on my xbone. This is suppose to be a playanywhere title shouldn't it unlock on pc?

Edit: nvm, had to launch the xbox app on pc, click and go to store to install it. Can't download directly from the store nor my library.

RedStep

But I did get the code and already activate this on my xbone. This is suppose to be a playanywhere title shouldn't it unlock on pc?

In the Windows Store, go to the Downloads tab (upper-right) and it should be listed there with a download button. Due to the nonsensical way they separated the store listing and the actual product you get, it's not on the normal page.

Side Note: I'd really like to know why the DE store listing, which shows as included in the bundle (and is completely useless at this point), wasn't used to distribute this. If they can get it right with other games (South Park) and every single "Ultimate Edition" that gives you the game early and the DLC later, it seems like this archaic solution was completely unnecessary. It would help to know why this one thing is different from all the other things.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes. You have to wait for a code that unlocks the game. If your pre-ordered before the Dec 14th, you should of received a code today, but reading the forum that is not true. Many did, many did not get it.

Slight Rant/Suggestion to MS/343i: Just open the gate and give the game away to everyone. Make it a Holiday Surprise. Yeah, there might be some that get sour because they paid for the Ultimate Edition, perhaps give those folks something, but what better way to promote your NEW game Halo Wars 2 than to get people interested in the first game.
I bought it before the 14th and still nothing... I hope the next wave hits today before afternoon PST because if it's later I won't have the option to play until Monday....

Fuckup on a fuckup of a fuckup right now &#128521;

Super jelly tho, looks swell on PC &#128525;

Hawk269

I bought it before the 14th and still nothing... I hope the next wave hits today before afternoon PST because if it's later I won't have the option to play until Monday....

Fuckup on a fuckup of a fuckup right now &#128521;

Super jelly tho, looks swell on PC &#128525;

I have not been able to play more, but it looked good on both, moreso obvious on PC especially at 4k. Bummer about the codes...the shitty part is they said those that pre-ordered before the 14th would get the code and many people did not. Now I know they did say the 7-10 day thing, but that was later modified that if you pre-ordered before the 14th you would get your code today.

The whole "early access" thing is still pretty bad and the communication on that was bad. Even Frankie (Stinkles) said that he did not know the messaging about that was bad, so even someone from 343i has acknowledged that wording/messaging has been bad. So far what I have played it has been fine. Only odd was some slight stutter around one base on the Xbox One version. Let's hope they tell us what they are working on to make the game into "final" state, perhaps there is still performance enhancement for the Xbox One version and more varied PC options.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I have not been able to play more, but it looked good on both, moreso obvious on PC especially at 4k. Bummer about the codes...the shitty part is they said those that pre-ordered before the 14th would get the code and many people did not. Now I know they did say the 7-10 day thing, but that was later modified that if you pre-ordered before the 14th you would get your code today.

The whole "early access" thing is still pretty bad and the communication on that was bad. Even Frankie (Stinkles) said that he did not know the messaging about that was bad, so even someone from 343i has acknowledged that wording/messaging has been bad. So far what I have played it has been fine. Only odd was some slight stutter around one base on the Xbox One version. Let's hope they tell us what they are working on to make the game into "final" state, perhaps there is still performance enhancement for the Xbox One version and more varied PC options.
Yeah but it's over 10 days since I ordered it as well so regardless of the 14th....

It's great that they acknowledged the communication error, but it's still a issue that shouldn't have happened and should have been made clear.

It's a big oversight at best but can be looked at as purposeful lying at worst depending on the person and the fact this is still an argument to some is beyond me...

I hope everything runs smooth once I do get it tho without issues in the campaign and it's coop at least.

Defect

Btw since I see people wanting to buy codes...

Do not buy any because the seller could cancel their preorder and you'll most likely get your license revoked.

Danny 117

I beat Arcadia on Legendary in one go with no failures. I remember this level made me its bitch when I first played it. I just spammed hornets and it worked out pretty well for me :D

m23

Played a couple missions last night and the game seems to run really smooth. Still need to try online.

Anyone that preordered AFTER December 14th get a code?

And for those that placed their order before the 14th and didn't receive a on code day one, have you tried to contact Microsoft support and inquire there?

Top Bottom