• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

100%. The early access was likely something decided on at a later time, and when it was announced, was clear pretty clear in what to expect. All today provided was additional details, nothing anyone should be surprised about.

So people who were led to believe the early access would be to a complete game and there not being a disclosure anywhere about it being in a alpha/beta phase. We shouldn't be surprised about that?

When in the past early access to their games means earlier access to the complete product. Its very misleading and quite frankly I'm not impressed about it.

So the game cannot be launched directly from the start pin? It starts to launch the game, but it redirects to the Halo app where I then have to launch the game.

I just uninstalled the app to get rid of this issue.

Toa Freak

Neo Member
So people who were led to believe the early access would be to a complete game and there not being a disclosure anywhere about it being in a alpha/beta phase. We shouldn't be surprised about that?

When in the past early access to their games means earlier access to the complete product. Its very misleading and quite frankly I'm not impressed about it.

The trailer where early access was first announced said "early access" in the trailer. And the game isn't "alpha/beta", it's basically finished minus a few tweaks.

Early access, as far as I've seen, has, in recent years, meant access to a game that isn't 100% in its launch state yet. Even games with early access by a few days like Gears 4 and Battlefield 1 had day-1 updates. When the DE was originally announced, it was going to release the same day as HW2. So, with us getting access 2 months earlier than originally intended, why should anyone be surprised if it's not 100% up to snuff, but rather 99%?

CyReN

The trailer where early access was first announced said "early access" in the trailer. And the game isn't "alpha/beta", it's basically finished minus a few tweaks.

Early access, as far as I've seen, has, in recent years, meant access to a game that isn't 100% in its launch state yet. Even games with early access by a few days like Gears 4 and Battlefield 1 had day-1 updates. When the DE was originally announced, it was going to release the same day as HW2. So, with us getting access 2 months earlier than originally intended, why should anyone be surprised if it's not 100% up to snuff, but rather 99%?

Maybe it's my own ignorance but I honestly thought the early access to it meant I got to play it as a complete title as a bonus because my pre-order. I had no idea it would be a half-baked game that released in February.

This seems like another MCC where they are trying to push it out to boost sales of Halo Wars 2 (like MCC was for XBX1). Just hope it isn't the same results.

mcfrank

Normal people dont know that "early access" = unfinished. It is bullshit gamer lingo. Early access means getting a finished product before it goes to retail to most people.

It is amazing what some people on this forum will defend from developers they like.

Toa Freak

Neo Member
So the game cannot be launched directly from the start pin? It starts to launch the game, but it redirects to the Halo app where I then have to launch the game.

This seems to be the case with all PC Halo games. Same thing happens whenever I try ti launch Halo 5: Forge.

Hawk269

Are achievements disabled then since it's early access?

If so, weird they announced them already.

Nope just got my first achievement for beating the AI in a one on one skirmish game.

Game does look a lot better than the original. Mainly due to higher resolution. Played a 1 on 1 skirmish at 4k and it ran very smooth, not hint of slowdown that I could tell, but then again it being a UWP game, no frame rate counter. They added some nice effects to the games though. It is NOT a re-textured game though. Looks like the same textures, just better resolution and added effects to the units. Looks really good though compared to the Xbox 360 version that I have loaded up on a different input.

Still PC options are lacking. The whole resolution thing is beyond weird, you only get two choices, High Resolution On or Off that is it. So if it is off, not sure what it is defaulting and when it is on I guess it is maxing it out based on your set up. I have a 75" 4k TV and when I hit display it says it is at 4k. Looks good regardless.

Going to go try out the Xbox One version right now.

LAA

I just uninstalled the app to get rid of this issue.

I'd love a way to disable that too. I did uninstall the app once and halo games still worked, but I got it back for some reason.
First time I tried booting HW nothing happened and both apps closed down ha ha, 2nd time it worked. It has a high resolution checkbox and no Icon, doesn't really matter for me the resolution unless it's sub 1080p, the lack of an icon seems pretty bad though.
Also an option to use flaming warthog and red wraith skins but don't know how to install them. Didn't have them for 360 game but don't know how you're supposed to get them for DE.

Theorry

Nope just got my first achievement for beating the AI in a one on one skirmish game.

Game does look a lot better than the original. Mainly due to higher resolution. Played a 1 on 1 skirmish at 4k and it ran very smooth, not hint of slowdown that I could tell, but then again it being a UWP game, no frame rate counter. They added some nice effects to the games though. It is NOT a re-textured game though. Looks like the same textures, just better resolution and added effects to the units. Looks really good though compared to the Xbox 360 version that I have loaded up on a different input.

Still PC options are lacking. The whole resolution thing is beyond weird, you only get two choices, High Resolution On or Off that is it. So if it is off, not sure what it is defaulting and when it is on I guess it is maxing it out based on your set up. I have a 75" 4k TV and when I hit display it says it is at 4k. Looks good regardless.

Its probably off for old resolution. On for 1080p and high resolution for 4K.

wut

ElRenoRaven

WOW. So just catching up. 343 pulled some MCC level bullshit again I see. That's just straight fucked up that you tell people they're getting Halo Wars: Definitive Edition then on the day of pull some bait and switch shit with you giving us an "early access" version.

That's just straight up bullshit.

Toa Freak

Neo Member
Maybe it's my own ignorance but I honestly thought the early access to it meant I got to play it as a complete title as a bonus because my pre-order. I had no idea it would be a half-baked game that released in February.

This seems like another MCC where they are trying to push it out to boost sales of Halo Wars 2 (like MCC was for XBX1). Just hope it isn't the same results.

The game is basically finished, just a few extra tweaks needed here and there.

Normal people dont know that "early access" = unfinished. It is bullshit gamer lingo. Early access means getting a finished product before it goes to retail to most people.

It is amazing what some people on this forum will defend from developers they like.

If you're getting a game earlier than intended, why wouldn't you expect it to, maybe, being not quite 100% finished. Besides, the game is basically done minus some tweaks here and there.

Hawk269

Its probably off for old resolution. On for 1080p and high resolution for 4K.

I just tested it and turning High Resolution Off definitely changes the look, especially noticeable in text. My screen however does not change to a lower resolution, maybe it does that when the game starts...but in the menu screen you can definitely see it changing as things are no where near as crisp if it is set to High.

Tecnniqe

Banned
UjEi64y.png

fernoca

EDIT: ^^That basically.^^

It should be noted again, that the game is "complete".

Is not unfinished, is not a beta, it is the full game.

That it might receive patches and updates like many other games, there's that. Like the lack of options on PC. Stuff that has also been a problem across most W10 games.

Tecnniqe

Banned

That it might receive patches and updates like many other games, there's that. Like the lack of options on PC. Stuff that has also been a problem across most W10 games.

Complete, incomplete, early access, preview build...

When they tell me what to call it, I'll call it that.

I'm done.

If we would have knew the state I would have suggested a title like this is not the early access you are looking for.

EDIT: ^^That basically.^^

Um about that every other game released through UWP have had at least a decent set of graphical options, hell even Forza Apex which was a beta and disclosed as one.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If we would have knew the state I would have suggested a title like this is not the early access you are looking for.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| Cured my ills, gave me early access cholera

In the end if we knew it was not a complete release there would be no OT at this point...

Toa Freak

Neo Member
In the end if we knew it was not a complete release there would be no OT at this point...

The announcement trailer and announcement post on Halo Waypoint say "Early Access", plain and simple. There are legit complaints to be leveled at the Definitive Edition, but this is not one.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Haha true that, also that title is gold. Is an OT allowed for the "early access" of a game?

I don't believe it is. As I said earlier I PMed one of the forum mods to ask with a small TL;DR.

First time I ever made one and it turns out to bomba in multiple ways by day 2 :3

King Leo

Neo Member
I preordered after the 14th. Does that mean I'm not getting my code? When will I? The only reason I preordered was to play DE on the 20th! WTF?

mjc

Pretty horseshit that they didn't explain the game was in beta mode at this point. I feel kinda gross for preordering the Ultimate edition now.

Hawk269

Noticed a little bit of sluggishness on Xbox One when panning over one of the bases in Blood Gulch. It did not do this over my first base, just over the second. Kind of odd. Does look good on Xbox One though. Does look cleaner on PC in what I assume is 4k since I have my desktop at 4k and in-game I have it set to the High mode. Aliasing obviously does look better on PC.

Overall, kind of happy so far. The big graphical improvements over the original other than resolution is that there is a lot more effects in the game and a lot more little details in the units. Kind of wished for a bit more, but not bad so far.

Theorry

Noticed a little bit of sluggishness when panning over one of the bases in Blood Gulch. It did not do this over my first base, just over the second. Kind of odd. Does look good on Xbox One though. Does look cleaner on PC in what I assume is 4k since I have my desktop at 4k and in-game I have it set to the High mode. Aliasing obviously does look better on PC.

Overall, kind of happy so far. The big graphical improvements over the original other than resolution is that there is a lot more effects in the game and a lot more little details in the units. Kind of wished for a bit more, but not bad so far.

Can you make some screens of both versions? :)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Noticed a little bit of sluggishness when panning over one of the bases in Blood Gulch. It did not do this over my first base, just over the second. Kind of odd. Does look good on Xbox One though. Does look cleaner on PC in what I assume is 4k since I have my desktop at 4k and in-game I have it set to the High mode. Aliasing obviously does look better on PC.

Glad to hear it's overall positive. 👍
PC menu sounds wonky, post SS if you can :))

Hope I get my key before I get off work tomorrow so I can get a few hours in before I leave for the Christmas gathering 😞

StUnNeR H2K

I feel that is a gross over reaction

Not really. I know the term "Early Access" means different things, but they are waiting until today to detail that this is basically a beta. I know we had Early Access to titles like Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, and Battlefield 1, but those were final games. Not perfect games as we all know patches, fixes, etc are always coming with any game. This is a different level of "Early Access", more of a "Game Preview".

We can all agree that information has been lacking, and now we clearly know why.

heytred

Neo Member
Not sure what the complaints are, Halo 5 was in early access until December 2016.

TeamBeyond in early access since 2012.

EDIT: That's not entirely fair. I know most folks at Team Beyond are incredibly passionate about Halo and really hard working. Just don't think you're doing shit to help and it shows.

m23

Not really. I know the term "Early Access" means different things, but they are waiting until today to detail that this is basically a beta. I know we had Early Access to titles like Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, and Battlefield 1, but those were final games. Not perfect games as we all know patches, fixes, etc are always coming with any game. This is a different level of "Early Access", more of a "Game Preview".

We can all agree that information has been lacking, and now we clearly know why.

Pretty much. What a joke.

I'm going to stop bitching and moaning about it I'm just waiting patiently for my key now. Though in future I'd prefer some disclosure about the state of the game I'm getting.

Hawk269

Can you make some screens of both versions? :)

Will try, but Wife is off of work...she works overnights and just got up and we are heading out to the movies, then dinner and then stopping buy my mom and pop game store to deliver some cookies to the owner and his employees for xmas. Probably wont be till tonight/tomorrow.

Decided to load up the Xbox 360 version to do a quick skirmish on Blood Gulch since that is what I tested on both Xbox One and PC...WOW a big difference. It actually looked a little blurry to me...I know it is not, but going from Xbox One/PC and then to the BC 360 version, seems like a big difference. Played the heck out the 360 version and played a few matches last night even on blood gulch and when you have it that fresh in your mind, it really is a big improvement between the versions.

I know we had Early Access to titles like Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, and Battlefield 1, but those were final games. Not perfect games as we all know patches, fixes, etc are always coming with any game. This is a different level of "Early Access", more of a "Game Preview".

I don't get this at all.
That you believe that this is a 'different level of Early Access' leads me to believe that you don't have much experience with early access titles in general. A small handful of nearly completed AAA games that allowed people to play mere days before their release... That stuff doesn't define early access just because they're the most visible products with that label attached. And those examples sure don't merit comparison with this, the first actual early access game ever on consoles (if the reactions are anything to go by).

as a PC gamer first, there's no confusion, and I can't stress that enough - zero, none, not even a little, as to what the phrase 'early access' means.
it means that you get to play an unfinished game. the game's core development is not complete.
I can show you hundreds - not three, not five, not fifty - hundreds of examples of games that feature or featured 'early access' where that's exactly what was meant.
I'm just sayin, lets not collectively act like the meaning of early access is all of a sudden muddled. when really, this is what early access really is. you don't have to be happy with it, I just take issue with the surprise, it feels so feigned to me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm going to stop bitching and moaning about it I'm just waiting patiently for my key now. Though in future I'd prefer some disclosure about the state of the game I'm getting.
Yeah, I'm with you. I'm glad everything seems to work fine at least so far :)

I'm still disappointed tho.

Happy and disappointed.

RyanW

From my understanding that's what Halo Wars DE is. It's far from a beta. Everything is there and there's just bugs as pointed out in the bottom of this post. Really no differe from a typical launch these days.

I'll agree that PR for this is a mess.

Top Bottom