• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt and Catch Fire |OT| Starring Lee Pace - Sundays 10/9c - S1 now on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

ibxHAh3HbtOT2E.png

TheOddOne

This thread has been put up early with the blessing of our Godfather Cornballer, because of this:

AMC drama to become first show to ever premiere on Tumblr
In anticipation of its newest 10-episode series, Halt and Catch Fire, AMC is launching a two-week, full-episode sneak preview on Tumblr and AMC.com, making it the first-ever television show to premiere on Tumblr.

Halt and Catch Fire, created by Christopher Cantwell and Christopher C. Rogers, follows the rise of the PC in the early 1980s, roughly one year after IBM.

“Halt and Catch Fire is a fun ride through the early days of the PC era, a time when no one could imagine a portable computer weighing less than 15 pounds, let alone one that was a few ounces and doubled as a phone,” AMC President Charlie Collier said in a statement. “It’s a perfect show for summer and – given the subject matter – a good fit for Tumblr’s first TV series premiere and AMC’s first social media screening.”

In addition to the launch of the new series, AMC also plans to launch a branded network Tumblr page to be integrated into AMC.com.

“Tumblr is the biggest platform for social TV and destination for many of AMC’s most passionate fans,” Global Head of Brand Partnerships at Tumblr Lee Brown said. “We’re excited to welcome Halt and Catch Fire and the rest of AMC’s lineup to the home of fandoms through Tumblr integration on AMC.com and to offer this first look at Halt and Catch Fire to our community.”

Starting on Monday, May 19 and running through Saturday, May 31, viewers will be able to preview the new series on Tumblr and AMC.com before it premieres on AMC on Sunday, June 1 at 9 p.m.
Make sure to spoiler tag until the official premiere June 1. After that it’s free game.

Enjoy.

Matush

Wait, so today/tomorrow there will be episode available? I hope there will be some webrip if it's US only.

Empty

really beautiful op

excited by this show because i love lee pace and think early days of computing is pretty interesting material

Vert boil

I'll give it another episode but the pilot didn't do much for me.
The only questionable thing was the choice and use of music.

ezekial45

Banned
It was a pretty decent pilot.
I wished they focused more on Cameron's character. They made her out to be genius programmer, but she didn't really do much of anything besides recite a few tech terms.

Anyway, I liked it. I'll watch the rest of the season. And again, the opening credits are awesome. I highly, highly recommend watching it just for that.

Folks, please remember to spoiler tag discussion of the premiere before it airs on AMC in early June. General commentary is fine (e.g. I like the credits, Lee Pace is a swell actor) but if you're getting into plot details, put it under tags. Thank you.

TheOddOne

Like people have said in the thread, the opening credits are awesome.

Decent pilot, mostly a setup episode that focuses more on the overall story for the season. The cast is pretty interesting so far and actually can’t wait to see more of them.

Matush

Pretty good pilot, nothing mindblowing, I already like some characters and will give it a try, summer is coming and I don't have that many shows to watch anyway. + that 80s music is awesome

P.S. Beautiful OP.

Is this show based on a real life situation? Because I see the name Cameron Howe and all I can think of is Cameron from Ferris Bueller wearing his Gordie Howe jersey.

KarmaCow

Pretty good premiere, though I liked it mostly because of the setting and cinematography. The OP alone raised my opinion of the show. The bios dump scene was interesting in that they explain everything but don't linger on the details for too long. It's probably the first time I've been this interested in an AMC show since Breaking Bad.

Well, it definitely caught my attention.

50/50 script.
Great pacing, characters, cinematography.

I think the storytelling device of letting us know via history that these people will ultimately fail is fantastic. They've shown us how utterly fucked this people would be if this fails.

TheOddOne

- ARS Review: Halt and Catch Fire reverse-engineers pop culture
For its first episode, at least, Halt and Catch Fire employs technology as a central driving force as opposed to window dressing for quick gags, and it does so without skipping too many details or offering condescending summaries at the moment any jargon comes up. This quality, more so than the ratings of Big Bang Theory or the name-dropping and in-jokes of Silicon Valley, is what makes this show proof that perhaps the nerds truly have won.

TheOddOne

- IMDB TV blog: “Halt and Catch Fire”: A Chat with Lee Pace
IMDbTV: One of my first thoughts upon watching the premiere was that I can foresee people looking at this and saying, “It’s ‘80s Don Draper” – that is, at first blush. But moving deeper into the episode, one can see that your character has a much harder edge. What would you say to someone who might be tempted to compare Joe MacMillan to Don Draper?

Lee Pace: I would say, stick around until episode three, and then answer the question for yourself. I’m such a huge fan of that show [“Mad Men”]. It’s a true, true achievement of fiction. But with this, the subject matter is different and the man is fundamentally different. Yes, it’s a man in a suit in an office who is competent at what he does, and doesn’t necessarily get along with everyone that he’s working with. There are certain similarities.

And I felt the same way when I read [the script] the first time, when I read the pilot. But the more I investigated this guy, and the more I looked for influences not only in the tech world, but within that time, it’s very different. I was looking at not only some of the young hustlers who then became tech titans but, you know… some of those corporate raiders who defined the culture of the ‘80s. Get more. Make more money. Have more sex. Go harder. Go tougher. That’s kind of the path I started down with Joe McMillan.
MDbTV: You were quite young during this era. … What was your earliest memory of interacting this kind of technology ?

Pace: …I remember video games…Video games play a really interesting part in the role of technology – not only because people our age were playing those video games, but it became such an integrated part of who we grew up, and how we thought. Then video games graduated to [computers] being in school.

…We’re a part of that generation of people that grew up as computers grew up, basically. In a way, those machines have been designed to make our lives happen. Whether it be learning, or playing, or connecting with one another. Our generation, in particular, has a very interesting insight into the world of personal technology, which is specifically what Joe is interested in. Somehow getting this technology into the hands of civilians, for lack of a better word. Out of business.

You have to understand, in the late ‘70s, computers were the size of refrigerators and they served massive companies where people would do their business at terminals that fed into these computers. This is a turning point, where the computers got smaller and smart innovators like Steve Jobs and many, many others…everyone was trying to figure out a personal computer.

That’s what Joe is interested in. Joe is trying to connect the dots between the video games, between Atari and the fact that people want these machines in their homes. Back at IBM, everyone is buying these things. Every year, millions more people are buying them.

In the pilot when I say the line, “The computer’s not the thing, it’s the thing that gets us to the thing”, what Joe is excited about is the change in the culture.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Lee Pace's eyebrows deserve at least an emmy nomination.

Good pilot. Although I'm struggling to see how this runs beyond the length of a miniseries. I mean, obviously the project fails. Unless they change the setting, can you really stretch this show out for several seasons?

I'm sure my doubts are unfounded though. Rectify is superb. This should be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom