• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 15th anniversary, Advance Wars!

Firemind

One of the best GBA games and arguably one of the best games of all time. Reasons why:
1. Turn-based strategy in the palm of your hand.
2. Spend countless hours on the campaign, in the war room and with friends and relatives.
3. Three different ways to play multiplayer: pass the system, multipack or single-pack.
4. Fantastic replay value because of the branching nature of the campaign.
5. Intricate yet easy to understand paper-rock-scizzor system, on land, sea and in the air.
6. CO powers offer another layer of decision-making.
4-ani1_max.gif
4-ani1_max.gif
4-ani1_max.gif

8. Charm.
2-ani1_andy.gif

9. Great tunes that never tire.
5-ani1_sami.gif

10. Hail Sturm!
27-sturmsmoke.gif

Who's your favourite?

19-andy_body.gif
21-max_body.gif
22-sami_body.gif
23-olaf_body.gif
24-grit_body.gif
25-eagle_body.gif
26-drake_body.gif
27-kanbei_body.gif

28-sonja_body.gif
20-nell_body.gif

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Incredibly fun game. The only turn-based strategy game I could ever get into.

Very sad that Nintendo doesn't value this franchise anymore. Just like Metroid. :(

Jawmuncher

I just wanna talk about Days of Ruin. We could lie and say this is an anniversary thread of the series from the point where westerners actually kept to play it.
Why we got Codename Steam, instead of a new Advanced Wars game i'll never know.

Metroid fans be crying when that series hasn't been neglected as badly as AW.

Jintor

for real though lash and sonja should have hung out more. They got along great for a pair of mortal enemies.

I miss this game so much, I remember going to ebgames each week asking if they AW2 early.

I loved how the countries were made to look similar to WW2 nations mostly.

Orange Star- US
Blue Moon- Russia
Yellow Comet- Japan
Green Earth- Germany

Krammy

I'm just here for the funeral.

fullg4lze.gif

I'm really upset that this series was never popular in Japan, and that the growth of the Fire Emblem brand probably cemented it's fate.

EDIT: On topic, my favourite entry was Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Despite the supposed balance issues, I had a blast playing through it countless times, and I've probably sunk more hours into that than any other game. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was another great entry with an absolutely phenomenal story, but that change in tone ultimately killed it on release (even I didn't pick it up until years later).

Sami >>> *

Sami for Smash Bros. 5

Sami everywhere all day every day.

I wanted a Advance Wars fighter in smash so bad. Of all the iconic AW characters Sami definitely would have been my choice. I've suggested it before that they could even use some of Snake's moves if they aren't going to bring him back.

Glass Rebel

I've been saying this for a while but I'll take all the waifus if that means I get a new Advance Wars that's as good as FEF: Conquest is for Fire Emblem.

Stopdoor

I've only played Days of Ruin, and while I understand it's tonally different than the other entries, I thought it still had cool characters and great gameplay, so I can lament the neglect of the franchise.

I'm collecting multiplayer GBA games so it's inevitable I'll pick up one of the original 2 sometime soon. Anyone got any strong opinions on which is better? Is it better to play them 'in order'?

Such a great series. Was Days of Ruin good? I missed out on that one.

It's a very good game but, just a bit different. Different cast of characters, a darker tone, and more challenging gameplay. IS doing this all at once drove a lot of people away and even when I got it took me a week or 2 to warm up to it and I got it on release. If they used the same world and characters and just toned down the CO Powers from Dual Strike a bit (Not to the level of Days of Ruin where you have to put the CO into a unit and that unit itself has to be in battle to build up the meter) I think it would have gone over much better.

I just wanna talk about Days of Ruin. We could lie and say this is an anniversary thread of the series from the point where westerners actually kept to play it.
Why we got Codename Steam, instead of a new Advanced Wars game i'll never know.

Metroid fans be crying when that series hasn't been neglected as badly as AW.

The thing that is odd is that Days of Ruin was obviously trying to get more of the West's attention and it didn't work too well. Who thought it would be a good idea to make Codename Steam and try to double down on this even harder?

Sami >>> *

Sami for Smash Bros. 5

Sami everywhere all day every day.

If the Wars series got a character in Smash, I'd honestly prefer it to be those chibi soldiers like the ones from the assist trophy.

The problem with Sami (and Andy for that matter) is that they don't really cover the series as a whole. Most people began with Advance Wars, which is understandable because it was the first game localized, but the truth is, the Wars series dates all the way back to the Famicom days. Beforehand, there was Famicom Wars and Gameboy Wars. Andy/Sami first appeared in AW, but the chibi soldiers and infantry I was talking about were there since Famicom Wars. They were even in Captain Rainbow. They're basically like the series' mascot.

Koren

It probably depend on who you ask...

I'm a huge fan of the series (I even played it before Advance Wars, when it was Famicom Wars! Although I only played the SNES and GB version, never the NES one)... I spent an awful lot of time (500-1000h at the very least) on each AW, AW2 and Dual Strike.

I probably spent less than 100h on DoR. I don't like it at all. The mood is different, I don't like it as much, but only the gameplay is important. The problem is that they completely changed the mechanics, even the philosophy of the game.

I really enjoy Advance Wars because you build your strategy so that you can trigger a turn were the game is unbalanced in your favor, and plan so that when it's unbalanced in favor of the enemy, you don't take too much damage. They tuned down the unbalance mechanics, and the result are battle that stall slightly more.

And if you're interesting into balanced, normal strategy game (and serious ones, too), there's plently of offerings. I think they kill what made Advance Wars special.

For this reason, I'd say that, even if I'm a huge fan, I don't care if the series is dead, because if DoR is the path they'll take, I don't care anymore.

Admodieus

Of all the games Nintendo would not keep making, this one puzzles me the most. It can't cost that much to keep cranking out games with the assets already made. Some of the COs would fit right at home in Smash too.

It probably depend on who you ask...

I'm a huge fan of the series (I even played it before Advance Wars, when it was Famicom Wars! Although I only played the SNES and GB version, never the NES one)... I spent an awful lot of time (500-1000h at the very least) on each AW, AW2 and Dual Strike.

I probably spent less than 100h on DoR. I don't like it at all. The mood is different, I don't like it as much, but only the gameplay is important. The problem is that they completely changed the mechanics, even the philosophy of the game.

I really enjoy Advance Wars because you build your strategy so that you can trigger a turn were the game is unbalanced in your favor, and plan so that when it's unbalanced in favor of the enemy, you don't take too much damage. They tuned down the unbalance mechanics, and the result are battle that stall slightly more.

And if you're interesting into balanced, normal strategy game (and serious ones, too), there's plently of offerings. I think they kill what made Advance Wars special.

For this reason, I'd say that, even if I'm a huge fan, I don't care if the series is dead, because if DoR is the path they'll take, I don't care anymore.

I respect your opinion on this and glad someone who didn't like playing it actually posted in this thread. I am glad you actually gave it an honest shot though. Lots of folks I talked to just got turned off by merely the box.

Koren

and more challenging gameplay.
It's definitively different, but I don't think it's more challenging*...

Grinding towards victory isn't more challenging that carefully planning a lightning sweep.

* I could say that many people haven't been able to finish the first game, but that wouldn't be fair, since I believe it's cheap difficulty for a lot of battles using FoG: you can only beat them if you perfectly know beforehand where are the enemy units, and what they'll do, especially the hidden mission against Eagle in Hard mode.

Fans are a little divided on Days of Ruin, as it's a massive tonal shift for the series.

But honestly? It's my favorite entry. Its story is kinda hammy but I actually found it pretty interesting, and the gameplay is the tightest in the series. I even loved the cheesy nu metal soundtrack.

Timeless

Of all the games Nintendo would not keep making, this one puzzles me the most. It can't cost that much to keep cranking out games with the assets already made. Some of the COs would fit right at home in Smash too.
Sadly, the AW devs stumbled across Fire Emblem. With Awakening, they can spend about as much as they would on AW (maybe a little more) and have a much higher return on investment, because Japan loves FE and doesn't like AW that much. It's just like Metroid in that regard.

Falchion

This needs to make it to the NX. So many good memories passing the GBA around the van, doing 4 player matches.

Koren

I respect your opinion on this and glad someone who didn't like playing it actually posted in this thread. I am glad you actually gave it an honest shot though. Lots of folks I talked to just got turned off by merely the box.
It's not that I disliked it. It's just that I play a lot of strategy games since... nearly forever (late 80s, I think, even before that if you count board games) and Advance Wars was doing things differently.

I enjoyed aiming for quick, perfect-offense, perfect-defence victories, with clear rules on the point system. Obviously avoiding the cheapest CO and some unbalanced abilities, setting my own rules.

I shouldn't say I don't like it DoR. It was actually nice playing through it. It's just my disappointment that speak, I don't like the changes. DoR just kinda feels generic to me. Once I've done pretty much everything in DoR, I went back to Dual Strike, and the only think that prevent me from playing it on a regular basis is that it doesn't work in 3DS. I'm not that interested in playing DoR again.

Top Bottom