• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 15th anniversary, Advance Wars!

It's definitively different, but I don't think it's more challenging*...

Grinding towards victory isn't more challenging that carefully planning a lightning sweep.
Perhaps you are right. I don't know, I felt like some of the missions in DoR, just even placement wise felt more like puzzles more than ever in the franchise. I could be wrong though.

It's not that I disliked it. It's just that I play a lot of strategy games since... nearly forever (late 80s, I think, even before that if you count board games) and Advance Wars was doing things differently.

I enjoyed aiming for quick, perfect-offense, perfect-defence victories, with clear rules on the point system. Obviously avoiding the cheapest CO and some unbalanced abilities, setting my own rules.

I shouldn't say I don't like it DoR. It was actually nice playing through it. It's just my disappointment that speak, I don't like the changes. DoR just kinda feels generic to me. Once I've done pretty much everything in DoR, I went back to Dual Strike, and the only think that prevent me from playing it on a regular basis is that it doesn't work in 3DS. I'm not that interested in playing DoR again.
Ah I see what you mean then. DoR could very well be defined as generic and in some cases being a downright different thing. I did the same though I went back to Dual Strike as I liked it more. I was glad no to see brown.

That and the overall plot of DoR seemed pretty dramatic. 90% of the population is dead because of meteors? I mean okay.

Aters

I just discovered the franchise recently, and oh boy what a lovely franchise!

It's a shame Nintendo don't make new AW on 3DS.

Boney

Banned
I've always wanted to get into this series. Should I jump into the GBA games or go straight to the DS ones?
GBA defs. There's nothing that sets them back technology wise a s they're great. Each one started adding new systems and the first one on DS ended up horribly bloated because of it so it's easier to start with the simple elegance of the first two.

But they're all great, get em on VC!

You don't have to have any "perfect moves" ever, not even to s rank the last mission.
You just need to have Andy at the middle stall the center with a mix of infantry tanks helicopters and indirect units, while Grit and especially Kanbei manage to reach the center to support Andy. Kanbei is just stupid powerful and grit's range certainly helps a lot. Once you reach the middle with one turn sweep you can get on his turf with a lot more units than him and power through. His CO power targets the most expensive combination of units so you're always going to get hit very hard with that on the verge of crippling you. If it hits Andy you need to learn how to retreat a bit to heal as the other guys come in to help.

I'm always amused too see you struggle with so many games but I like your perseverance! Keep at it!

Toxi

Banned
Like Fire Emblem, this is one of those series where I just can't get into the genre.

Might give the VC versions a try some day.

Edit: Oh wait I forgot the 3DS doesn't have GBA VC games for God knows what reason. Guess I won't be playing them.

The trilogy on GBA/Ds got worse with each successive game, bloating with more and more unnecessary additions, especially the CO powers changes.

I don't even want to imagine what a 4th game that continued that trend would have looked like.

I own the first game on Wii U VC (from Club Nintendo) but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I feel like I definitely have to sooner or later; this seems like a pretty fantastic series.

GBA defs. There's nothing that sets them back technology wise a s they're great. Each one started adding new systems and the first one on DS ended up horribly bloated because of it so it's easier to start with the simple elegance of the first two.

Thanks, I'll pick up the first one on VC when I get paid this week.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
AW2 is the highlight of the series from a design standpoint, IMO.

I have kinda mixed feelings on Days of Ruin. Dual Strike is great fun but also incredibly bloated, so trying to stack more onto that formula wouldn't be feasible. But I feel like DoR went a bit too far in nerfing COs. Plus, I only like a couple of characters from DoR whereas I enjoy most of the "Wars World" cast.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, they should bring this back. I'm surprised that new Tank Troopers game isn't AW themed. It would be a perfect candidate.

The trilogy on GBA/Ds got worse with each successive game, bloating with more and more unnecessary additions, especially the CO powers changes.

I don't even want to imagine what a 4th game that continued that trend would have looked like.

There were 4 Advance Wars games.

-AW (GBA)
-AW2: Black Hole Rising (GBA)
-AW: Dual Strike (DS)
-AW: Days of Ruin (DS)

Boney

Banned
AW2 is the highlight of the series from a design standpoint, IMO.

I have kinda mixed feelings on Days of Ruin. Dual Strike is great fun but also incredibly bloated, so trying to stack more onto that formula wouldn't be feasible. But I feel like DoR went a bit too far in nerfing COs. Plus, I only like a couple of characters from DoR whereas I enjoy most of the "Wars World" cast.
CO's are still an important factor at play and I like assigning them to a unit and it having an area of passive bonuses around them. Tabitha on board of anything could just steamroll everything. It's just that they're not accessible for over half of the campaign and CO powers are basically non existent.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Ah Advance Wars, love this series, have fond memories of keeping up with it back when you could look forward to a new installment every few years.

Don't remember how I came across the first one, but I sunk far too many hours into it. I don't know if it was because it was the first entry I'd played, but I always felt like the first game was the hardest of the 4. The first mission of the campaign took me way too long to beat, to the point that I remember by the time I did it I'd already done 5+ war room missions, and just spent much of my first days playing through that because I struggled so much with the Campaign.

Very glad I kept up with it though and was able to finish it, love this series and it's strategy gameplay. The 2nd one has always been my favorite installment, mainly for how varied and fun the campaign mode was, but Days of Ruin comes at a close 2nd. After how bloated and Dual Strike was, I was very happy IS decided to reset things with Days of Ruin. Shame it was the end of the series, but ah well.

kagamin

Man I've had a lot of good times with these games, I've played every single entry except the second game though which is weird.

wheapon

I can't believe it's been 15 years... I remember playing hot seat multiplayer on this game on the school bus. I need to pick this one up again.

Man I've had a lot of good times with these games, I've played every single entry except the second game though which is weird.

They have the second one on the US Wii U eShop if you have a Wii U. I just picked it and the original up.

You don't have to have any "perfect moves" ever, not even to s rank the last mission.
You just need to have Andy at the middle stall the center with a mix of infantry tanks helicopters and indirect units, while Grit and especially Kanbei manage to reach the center to support Andy. Kanbei is just stupid powerful and grit's range certainly helps a lot. Once you reach the middle with one turn sweep you can get on his turf with a lot more units than him and power through. His CO power targets the most expensive combination of units so you're always going to get hit very hard with that on the verge of crippling you. If it hits Andy you need to learn how to retreat a bit to heal as the other guys come in to help.

I'm always amused too see you struggle with so many games but I like your perseverance! Keep at it!

Easier said than done. You know how many people gave me advice on how to beat him and how many times that worked? The answer is 0. I wish I had another team, but every time I start a new file I always end up with the same three. Fuck that game! I ain't ever doing that shit again!

pizzacat

Banned
ID46eVU.gif
Pretty much. So fucking cool

Hylian7

When I was in Boy Scouts, Advance Wars became the unofficial Boy Scout game. Every time we went on campouts, they usually involved long drives to get there, so we had Game Boys in the car and 4-player matches going on.

One of the best features the series had was the "hotseat" multiplayer.

I just wanna talk about Days of Ruin. We could lie and say this is an anniversary thread of the series from the point where westerners actually kept to play it.
Why we got Codename Steam, instead of a new Advanced Wars game i'll never know.

Metroid fans be crying when that series hasn't been neglected as badly as AW.

DoR was the most balanced game in the series, but I love the art in the other ones more.

The GOAT

24-grit_body.gif

Now I'm jonesing to play this series again. Which is the better DS game to pick up? I only played the GBA ones

I would say Dual Strike right now, since there is more content and Nintendo WFC servers are offline now, so you can't play DoR online.

It's a damn shame that we haven't seen a new online-capable AW. DoR had it, but the servers are gone now and I miss it.

psyfi

Banned
My GBA SP is basically my Advance Wars 2 machine. I still binge it every few months. I even play multi with friends sometimes.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
R.I.P. Advance Wars

I could never beat any of these without a guide cause I suck at strategy but always had fun playing 'em!

...And just turning 'em on ta list to the music gallery! Which I'm doing right now!

Only really got into the series this year, but still put over 100 hours into the first three games combined. These games can be difficult, I don't know how I would have beat some of those War Rooms without Grit cheesing lol. I should really play Days of Ruin one of these days, but the removal of the main cast really sours me. Oh, and the soundtracks of these games are phenomenal, seriously some of my favourites out there.

Kouriozan

Always liked Eagle, I suppose it makes sense I also love birds (I have Cockatiels) and Fly type Pokémon.
Really miss this IP, I had awesome multiplayer battles with some friends.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Nevermind Sturm, the real dirtbag of the series needs to be called out!

MayorFreehaven.gif

"As mayor, I speak for the people when I say leaving me out of the OP is wholly uncalled for."

Arkanius

I remember as a kid, doing a giant (by kid standards) trip to Andorra for a snow trip and me playing my GBA the whole way with the car charger.

I already knew the power of RTS on PC. This game was a pure joy for me in handheld format.

Only played the DS entries and they were okay, never got into them as much as with FE though.
I did appreciate the bucketloads of content (specially in Dual Strike).
I actually made it to the final mission of Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin but fuuuuuck, those poison bombs man.

My friend always kicked my arse at multiplayer on these games, I remember us doing 4 player and it went on for HOURS, it's like with monopoly when you know you're fucked but the process of actually getting eliminated is gonna take like 2 more gruelling hours.

Also Music

Scum

I have my fingers crossed that this series will be resurrected, Fire Emblem style, on mobile & NX. Make it so, Kimi!

R0ckman

Nintendo has really fallen far. The variety of games has seriously dwindled compared to a few years back and their few decisions to revive anything they do it to something no one asked for and on top of that do it completely wrong.

Articalys

I should really get around to finally playing Days of Ruin. Bought it on an Amazon sale, but remembering how much I struggled with later missions in the previous games kept intimidating me and eventually I just let it sit on the shelf.

I LOVE Advance Wars! Thank you X-Play for making me buy Black Hole rising with that amazing review video!! I hope the next advance wars game is still 2D sprites, but too the next level, like 3rd strike level.

NolbertoS

I miss this franchise, I remember this was the game that got me hooked on war SRPGs. Even played a clone on IOS but it was too simple compared to Advance Wars and not colourful. Wish they would bring out more Advance Wars out West. Needmy SRPG fix that doesn't involve medival scenary

Biske

I just wanna talk about Days of Ruin. We could lie and say this is an anniversary thread of the series from the point where westerners actually kept to play it.
Why we got Codename Steam, instead of a new Advanced Wars game i'll never know.

Metroid fans be crying when that series hasn't been neglected as badly as AW.

Woah, Codename Steam was awesome.

Top Bottom