• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th anniversary Chrono Trigger!

Dez_

Probably my favorite game of all time, and my first RPG that opened me up to other game genres back when I was really only into plaformer and beat-em ups. Best $70 bucks I ever spent for a used copy at Funcoland!

Think it's too much to ask for the team responsible for DQVIIr to give the world an updated Chrono Trigger? Seeing some of the excised stuff from the game (first time I ever knew about the Beta North Palace/Forest Ruins) makes me wish they could reintegrate stuff back into the game (even if just as a selling point).

They removed these for a reason... For example Mitsuda went on record saying the Singing Mountain dungeon was removed because it didn't bring anything special to the game.

Psxphile

They removed these for a reason... For example Mitsuda went on record saying the Singing Mountain dungeon was removed because it didn't bring anything special to the game.

It has to be a straight reintegration? It can't be molded upon, improved upon, made significant?

Ayla never really got a sidequest mission relevant to her like the others did after Ocean Palace.

Rinoa

Of course, pretty much maxed everything out that could be maxed out.

That was pretty much just for getting different endings though.
When playing the game normally, I much prefer to start a regular New Game, and just enjoy it the whole way through.

The DS version really was a great thing to happen for this game, making it easier to get and easier to enjoy for many more people.

Re-picking up one of my stacked games for endings, seems one of the things not maxed out is rainbow shell stuff.

Why don't all games have newgame+...

thequestion

Most played JRPG ever. Top 5 game of all time. Love this game and all the wonderful memories it birthed. Happiness = CT

A sequel made with the same sprite style would be badass. Nintendo needs to knock on Square/Enix's door and make it happen. .

gunbo13

Started playing it for the who knows 40+ time this weekend for this event. DS version. Just beat Giga Gaia last night so I'm decently in there.

A few tidbits from someone who has assimilated with this game, which are always fun.

• Gato farming - So the best is farming silver points from Gato to get the silver sword for 4000g and all other gear/items you can want. Plus also get the music box, doll, cat, and cat food. Bump into Marle and then exit the fair immediately. Then go fight in the woods to boost some and farm some potions. I always find this process hilarious because I bump into this girl I don't know then "let's go fight monsters in the woods!" After grinding a bit getting TP, especially Aura, farm Gato. You can max your point card pretty much when Marle runs out of MP. Then trade them in for 1000 gold. Buy a tent, refresh, rinse & repeat, get bank.

It takes about an hour to do this. After, you will be buffed up with tech, best weapons, and all the horror house shit done. I cannot start CT anymore without this grind. Many may find it silly.
  • Nizbel II - So like how many times has Nizbel II got me over the years? I don't grind in CT except breaking the start so things are pretty fair at this point in the game. But I swear, I have died on Nizbel II probably around 30% of all the times I have played CT. He just has a way to "catch you." This usually starts with a nice energy release into a lucky chain, then you can't recover. Anyone else notice this SOB? He is like my modern Magus, who I used to lose to that 30% of the time.

I did smarten up the second time and beat him without much issue. Mixed in Ice Sword II for the cross elemental thing to dps him quicker.
  • Max speed on DS - The stylus is too slow but playing max speed is pretty tough at times. Giga Gaia was attacking pretty much every 3 seconds and I'm just watching my stupid bars. You can't snooze on your inputs so you have to be super fast on the dpad. Play this way for a challenge CT vets.
  • Monster arena - Stupid waste of time. Fight a battle, loss to snake, beat some scrub, send monster through portal to train. Bleh.

Greatest of all time. So fun.

Square2015

I wonder what kind of accolades this got upon its US release. FFIII got great praise apparently, as reported in that other thread, was it the same for CT?

I wonder what kind of accolades this got upon its US release. FFIII got great praise apparently, as reported in that other thread, was it the same for CT?

I'm an 80s/90s gamer and remember it got great reviews and praise from all the gaming magazines at the time. Chrono Trigger also got an EGM Platinum award (so did FF III the year before).

Square2015

I'm an 80s/90s gamer and remember it got great reviews and praise from all the gaming magazines at the time. Chrono Trigger also got an EGM Platinum award (so did FF III the year before).
Great to hear and expected. However did it ever game of the year or runner up from any gaming press/magazines?

Chrono Trigger has possibly the best pacing in any RPG ever made. You spend just as long doing everything as you should, whether that comes to the narrative or the areas themselves.

Square2015

I wonder. By 1995, two gen 5 consoles were already out. I wonder if they went with games on those platforms.
However those recent releases weren't putting out too many heavy hitters. You probably have Ridge racer, tekken, toshinden / virtua fighter 2, Daytona vs. [current gen] stuff like: killer instinct, Yishis island, CT, NBA Jam Tourn., Mortal Kombat 3, vectorman, and DKC2.... DKC2 probably won most of them.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
A little late, and the glaze didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, but a tribute I made in pottery class:

"When four or more beings step into a time warp, the Conservation of Time theorem states that they will turn up at the space-time coordinates of least resistance. Here."

EGgjOF1.jpg

Hugstable

Banned
Just picked up the DS game version earlier, time to play this for like the 12th time ever! Picked up Radiant Historia too just for more time travel awesomeness

Top Bottom