• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mona, Gaming's Best Gal, Is 20 Today (And So Is The Rest Of The Gang I Guess): Happy 20th Anniversary WarioWare!

What Is YOUR Favorite Title In The Series?

• Total voters

HUELEN10

How time flies...

Today is March 21st 2023 in Japan. 20 years ago today, a full-fledged successor to Mario Artist: Polygon Studio's Sound Bomber mode was released to the world. It looked simple and humble, this is true, but no one knew just how far the idea or the characters that would be later attached to it would go.

WarioWare took this idea and RAN with it. The first title, Mega Microgame$!, refined this formula and introduced us to Wario's kooky friends: Jimmy, Dribble, Spitz, 9-Volt, Orbulon, Dr. Crygor, Kat, Ana, and of course, Mona

img_9196pycq4.gif

Over the years, the series would get a spinoff (Game & Wario) as well as stand-alone releases of some of its side-games. In 2017 Pyoro was even featured in the Nintendo World Championships!

You have NO IDEA how much I was freaking out when I saw this live. I was so happy!

Anyways, the truth is, I really, really love all these guys, not just the pizza girl. Without them, I don't think I would have gotten hardcore into video games, much less Nintendo. I hope we see more of them in the future.

Happy Birthday WarioWare!

Good thread. OG WarioWare might be one of my favorite GBA games, if not my favorite.
I didn't go on to play the rest of the games when they came out, but I got a chance to play Twisted a few months ago on a GBA Micro. It was so fucking fun! I definitely missed out back then.
Man, this thread is inspiring me to check out the other WW games too...

HUELEN10

Twisted is IMO the best game overall. I love how it sounds, plays, looks, and even FEELS (it has very nice haptics). So many legit awesome side games too! Here are my personal favorites:

pyoro_rsmallxcequ.jpeg
apple_assaultsmallbhfjd.jpeg
stayingasheepsmallbbcvf.jpeg
mewtroid_titlesmallfod4f.jpeg
wariobikesouvenirsmapue1t.jpeg

wondermega

Wario Ware GBA was such a breath of fresh air. Especially from Nintendo, I knew they could do goofy stuff but.. not THAT goofy. I don't think I ever made it super-far into the game, maybe third level or so - still, such a blast.

I picked up Twisted years ago, but for whatever dumb reason never plugged it in, I will get to it someday (says every backlogger, ever). Also a real nice surprise was Smooth Moves (Wii with gesture controls), for some reason I had low expectations, like it was going to feel rushed. Turned out to be excellent, if anything I was disappointed because oh how easy it was to breeze through (well, compared to the original game). It's been so long, I should probably load that one up again as well.

My parents were never into gaming but they got a wii in like 2010. Some of my favorite times with my parents have been playing smooth moves and Wii sports.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
DIY... being able to make your own games and share them over the internet is something i wish i had a DS to experience, that sounds so cool. it's like a spiritual successor to mario paint
if they made a sequel with more features it'd be so good

besides spinoffs, gold. most content in the series, most games, most fun it's just a great crescendo to end the golden age of this franchise. get it together is terrible

Top Bottom