• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well this thread is a surprise to see bumped.

Hmm. Seems they have stopped the theme games in Europe. No surprise really, but its still a shame that this game was so short lived.

Shiggy

Andrex said:
Well when I last logged on there were four. :p Now there's 26, and the last one was posted in January it seems.

Cannot login as the Wi-Fi Connector doesn't work with Windows 7... but then it was January. The game was a huge flop...the only other DS games by Nintendo that are available for 5 € are probably Jam with the Band, Face Training, Rhythm Paradise, Elite Beat Agents and Custom Robo DS. All huge commercial failures.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Shiggy said:
Cannot login as the Wi-Fi Connector doesn't work with Windows 7... but then it was January. The game was a huge flop...the only other DS games by Nintendo that are available for 5 € are probably Jam with the Band, Face Training, Rhythm Paradise, Elite Beat Agents and Custom Robo DS. All huge commercial failures.

:( Sad to hear. Chartz puts it at 480k worldwide. Not a huge bust.

So... anyone still playing? :p

Shiggy

Andrex said:

Not really, the online functionalities were just too basic, especially the download process. And I ran out of ideas.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Andrex said:

Last thing I did was compose the rocketbelt song from Pilotwings in anticipation of the 3DS title. I can't even remember if I uploaded it.

Karkador

Banned
I still think this is the most brilliant game-making thing I've ever used. Was there ever a GAF-organized create-a-thon for this?

sfog

Shiggy said:
Really? Thought they stopped at the end of last year.

They did. In the US, there haven't been any Big Name games since early January, Weekly games since early March, and the last Theme (#15) games were removed at the end of April. Nothing else has been put up or removed since then, so the existing stuff can still be downloaded, aside from the theme games.

I stopped playing when I made my last game. I posted it in this thread somewhere. It was some 3D first person game, and it basically fried my brain completing it. :p

I made a couple games since, because a friend got the game for herself, but yeah. If more people on GAF join this thread, maybe I'll be more motivated to get back into it. It was really fun exchanging friend codes and sharing each other's games here.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Karkador said:
I still think this is the most brilliant game-making thing I've ever used. Was there ever a GAF-organized create-a-thon for this?
Could be a good idea. The biggest obstacle is coming up with an idea for a minigame so if we had our of own "theme challenges" I'm sure some people would become motivated.

Slermy

Wow, great to see this thread bumped. I'd need to setup my network again, but I can put my games back up if people want to share. I have a few other in-progress games I never finished, perhaps this thread will motivate me to go finish them.

@Extralite: Fun looking game!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Karkador said:

Dunno, but that's a great idea! I might have to make one. =0 Or BGBW could.

Why would you do that? said:
I stopped playing when I made my last game. I posted it in this thread somewhere. It was some 3D first person game, and it basically fried my brain completing it. :p

I made a couple games since, because a friend got the game for herself, but yeah. If more people on GAF join this thread, maybe I'll be more motivated to get back into it. It was really fun exchanging friend codes and sharing each other's games here.

Ah yeah I remember downloading that, was quite impressive. Fried my mind trying to read the source "code." XD

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmm... well I suppose I can plan something out. Will probably be a good idea not to reveal the first challenge until after a few people have joined in just to avoid scaring them away.

Will need to finish off the two games I left unfinished first though so I actually have a blank canvas to work with.

zigg

Haha, hey guys.

I gave this game to my daughter because she was intensely interested in it... I had kind of hoped that she would get into the programming aspects and all that. She did love the game but she only really played with the comic maker.

BooJoh

I stopped playing when my game shelves filled up. I probably would have stuck with it for a lot longer if there were just a little more depth. It's hard to come up with a ton of ideas when the only user interaction you can have is "tap."

StayDead

This being bumped has kind of given me a little push to actually playing it again. I had a lot of fun before with it so I'll give it a go now.

Slermy

This being bumped has kind of given me a little push to actually playing it again. I had a lot of fun before with it so I'll give it a go now.

Yeah, I had put it down for a while as well, picking it back up when I found a bunch on clearance at Target and giving them away as gifts.

Nice; I really like the Rock Band one.

extralite

I have a Western DIY version now (shame it wasn't compatible with the Japanese one)... bought it because I wanted to make some micro games as a birthday present for someone I like. So I'm uploading the games I made one by one to my youtube channel. First one is this:

ww_avalanche-300x245.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw2DPkK60GM

The micro games I make tend to be too complicated but this one works well in the time limit and the difficulty is just okay I think.

Edit:
Nice idea! I also like the Rockband one.

Slermy

Are you asking how I setup the logic for the puzzle?

Or are you asking how did I have a game without a timer?

The lack of a timer is from editing a previously exploited game with the timer removed that I got from someone a while ago, and yes, those can be shared. I'll need to dig-up my Wii friend code, but I'd be more than willing to send that to you.

extralite

I read that you can hack your game to get boss length games but haven't tried to do so myself. Can you also put it in the warehouse? I don't have a Western Wii or Showcase (I made the youtube video at my brother's house with his Western Wii) so I'd have to get it from the warehouse.

And yes, my first question was about the devil puzzle itself, I can't figure out what you are doing to solve it. But I didn't know this game before.

Slermy

Ah, well the Devil Puzzle is based on the Sliding Tile Puzzle (I loved these as a kid):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliding_tile_puzzle

So you're just sliding pieces around to complete a picture, in this case, the Yellow Devil from the Mega Man series of games.

The twist with mine, is that you can't tell what piece goes where, as they all look the same until they're in the right spot, then they show their "picture" and they revert back to the sphere when moved off.

Also, it looks like I can't upload a game to the Showcase until I we've exchanged Wii Friend Codes. I'll send you a PM.

extralite

You didn't just reskin the Orbulon boss game, did you? ;) Kudos if you coded it again yourself.

Although I did reskin some games too. The cake thief one was just screaming to be changed. And some games I made might as well have been reskins of other games but I made them before I got around to play the ones contained in the retail game.

Slermy

You didn't just reskin the Orbulon boss game, did you? ;) Kudos if you coded it again yourself.

Although I did reskin some games too. The cake thief one was just screaming to be changed. And some games I made might as well have been reskins of other games but I made them before I got around to play the ones contained in the retail game.

Oh man, I don't even remember the Orbulon boss game. Anyway, I don't think you can edit those anyway, at least I didn't see it in my list. So, for better or worse, I did code this one myself (it was fun anyway).

I added your brother's Wii friend code, but I forgot how long it takes to sync once both parties do. I'll check regularly until they do and then upload the no-timer game for you.

Saw this on clearance at Best Buy the other day for $14, looked online and Amazon had it for $8. So it's on it's way. :D

Are there still games available online to download or is it a wasteland by now?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Odd to see this thread revived. That game I was considering finishing off to make way for a contest... I never did finish it. Probably should just pull the trigger and call it a day on it.

Slermy

The no-timer level has been sent extralite! I also sent you my Devil Puzzle.

Is that Santa in your A-Children video? I also like the background with the gigantic Camel in Oasis.

Saw this on clearance at Best Buy the other day for $14, looked online and Amazon had it for $8. So it's on it's way. :D

Are there still games available online to download or is it a wasteland by now?

All of the Nintendo Staff made ones, as well as the guest ones are still up and available for download. To share with other people, you always needed to have their friend code to do so. I'm assuming the DS personal warehouses are still up, but I haven't tried lately.

extralite

Thanks, now I'll just need to find a way to get it from my brother.

All of the Nintendo Staff made ones

Not all of them, obviously, but I remember translating the ones by Sakurai and Sakamoto. Even us translators and the QA staff was asked to make some games, and two by the QA were chosen for the weekly distribution.

Mine wasn't used as far as I know. I made one with moving obstacles around a center goal into which you had to shoot a ball.

Slermy

Thanks, now I'll just need to find a way to get it from my brother.

No problem!

Not all of them, obviously, but I remember translating the ones by Sakurai and Sakamoto. Even us translators and the QA staff was asked to make some games, and two by the QA were chosen for the weekly distribution.

Mine wasn't used as far as I know. I made one with moving obstacles around a center goal into which you had to shoot a ball.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize they cycled through them.

That's awesome that you are/were a translator for Nintendo. Anyway, it's unfortunate yours wasn't put up, do you have video of it?

extralite

I don't have my micro games I made at Nintendo anymore as they were kept on their hardware and carts. Sorry. But I could make it again, or something close. And maybe they kept the game somewhere.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just pulled the game out once more, realizing I didn't register it on Club Nintendo. Not sure what I'll make this time, but it got me thinking about how amazing this game could be on the 3DS.

As a digital download, it makes perfect sense. You can export games, and have them live on the 3DS' menu system. You can Streetpass games to other people and have them rated, and obviously it would have a better Wii U tie in than the original.

I really hope it happens. I'm excited just thinking about it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A lot of WarioWare DIY would be improved simply because the 3DS and WiiU have a better online infrastructure. Particularly with the WiiU where Nintendo seems less afraid of user content being shared with strangers.

Doubt they could make QR codes for the games, though it would be cool if they could.

Slermy

Just pulled the game out once more, realizing I didn't register it on Club Nintendo. Not sure what I'll make this time, but it got me thinking about how amazing this game could be on the 3DS.

As a digital download, it makes perfect sense. You can export games, and have them live on the 3DS' menu system. You can Streetpass games to other people and them rated, and obviously it would have a better Wii U tie in than the original.

I really hope it happens. I'm excited just thinking about it.

Oh man, that would be great.

Glad to see this thread bumped, I've actually been working on another game lately and had thought about bumping this thread myself.

Lijik

Doubt they could make QR codes for the games, though it would be cool if they could.

I remember posting about an DIY sequel that made use of QR codes for distribution and someone else on gaf explained why it couldnt be done. Which is too bad, because it would be cool.

After Freaky Forms and Pushmo I was kind of expecting more games fueled by user-generated content to come out on the eshop. The possibilities just seemed very exciting, but it never really went anywhere. Thats a different topic though

Firemind

Sprite art mostly. Sometimes the dimensions don't work out perfectly on a smaller area, so I have to create multiple objects for essentially one object and eventually I run out of room for objects and/or points.

Also I cannot compose for the life of me. Is there some trick to transcribing notes and melodies?

Slermy

You can import animations from different sizes of objects. So if you run out of room or end up with a surplus, you could always make a new object and import into it.

Any specific sprites you want? Or just anything? You could always ask for games without logic just filled with the sprites you need.

As far as music goes, I usually just use the Maestro.

Top Bottom