• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

RobbieNick

Working on a Sonic spin-dash game right now. Any way to make the game tap like five to ten times before a switch can be turned on?

Damn it, when did the theme contest end today? Last time it ended like 2 in the morning. Gawwhh I really like this micro-game too. Ahh well looks like only you guys will get to enjoy it. Try it out see what you think, hopefully I can refine it for a future theme.

jgkspsx

RobbieNick said:
Working on a Sonic spin-dash game right now. Any way to make the game tap like five to ten times before a switch can be turned on?
Yep, by chaining counters. Zigg posted a demo that took 64 taps. Want me to send it to you?

Shiggy

So how do you start with creating a new game? I just had a lack of ideas, but wanted to do something with switches/randomization. I actually started with the music as I couldn't think of any setting or gameplay; after finishing, I imagined a worm was quite fitting. And then it became a "Who survives?" game in which the player needs to decide who is eaten by whom (apple, worm, bird, French cook).

Sadly, nothing is finished except for the French cook (edited a character from one of the game's microgames), the music and the AI. I still need to think of a background and try do get some character tiles done. Everything works with these prototype objects though. :)

I've also included a small easter egg which is further along than the rest of the game.

Edit: Finished. For human characters/faces I will stick to the ones from the game, my drawing skills are awful :D
Testing is finished, now I just need to upload it.

CaVaYeRo

Well, I've just finished my SFII tribute microgame :D

I'd love to share it with you and pick some of your games too! My FC is 0131 4697 6832

I'd also like to share some tricks and funny things about the "micro development" :lol Here I got some photos from the making of, and I'm tubing a video.

WWSF_01.jpg

WWSF_02.jpg

WWSF_03_a.jpg

WWSF_03_b.jpg

WWSF_03.jpg

WWSF_04.jpg

WWSF_05.jpg

WWSF_06.jpg

WWSF_07.jpg

Shiggy

CaVaYeRo said:
Well, I've just finished my SFII tribute microgame :D

I'd love to share it with you and pick some of your games too! My FC is 0131 4697 6832

Added ;)

So my minigame: Darwin's Son
Who will survive?

French cook vs. chick
4615932028_6c6fefa302.jpg

4615934840_619757b354.jpg

Chick vs. worm
4615322927_161d80b3ed.jpg

4615325627_82abccb747.jpg

There are four (tbh, six) different objects on the board...I really don't understand the AI anymore, but at least it works :/

jgkspsx

CaVaYeRo, I added you.

I uploaded zigg's 64-bit counter. If you've encountered binary before, you'll see right away how it works.

Edit: Cool, Shiggy turned green.

Fatamorgana is very cool. Sort of like my Perfect Sunset, but with a lot more action. Dotstream is very faithful graphically, but not much fun on its own - it probably is good in a blender, though. It would be better if the lines had further to travel - maybe use large blocks with several chained animations?
Subprise by Caddy is really awesome graphically.

The new load of Nintendo ones is mostly a washout. Maybe they just don't compare well to what we're doing. Bubble Break is awesome, but it makes my plan for Pooyan sort of obsolete. I don't know what they are, but Gary's and Alison's promo things aren't games.

I like the How To CaVaYeRo, look forward to playing it, added. The intro to the vid is a nice touch as well.

I need to go clear out some of those Machine Theme Games now.

Shiggy

jgkspsx said:
Edit: Cool, Shiggy turned green.

Fatamorgana is very cool. Sort of like my Perfect Sunset, but with a lot more action. Dotstream is very faithful graphically, but not much fun on its own - it probably is good in a blender, though. It would be better if the lines had further to travel - maybe use large blocks with several chained animations?

dotstream was one of my first games, I think it's pretty boring but I didn't really know how to realise it differently. Originally, I wanted the player to move up or down, but the animation system made it too difficult. Took it offline now.

Subprise by Caddy is really awesome graphically.

Absolutely.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Shiggy said:
When will that be?
June 4th since my schedule has a massive two week gap for no reason.
One reason why Galaxy 2's PAL release date doesn't concern me

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, summer is here, and so I am officially working on my second microgame!. Yes, you heard right.
Its something that players of semi-obscure but critically acclaimed DS games on here will appreciate. Not spoiling yet.

The Sport Themed games are up, don't have room to play any yet. Plus there is a new challenge, I like the idea but it appears that the word generator has a set number of determined combinations.

CaVaYeRo

Caddywompus said:
The Sport Themed games are up, don't have room to play any yet. Plus there is a new challenge, I like the idea but it appears that the word generator has a set number of determined combinations.

Sport themed games?

BTW, I just added jgkspsx and you!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I need to update my friend list again - but, like almost everyone else, I'm already out of room for games.

I may need to mass transfer stuff to the WiiWare version soon.

jgkspsx

The comix and music are cool and all, but I'd much rather have that space for more games...

Copying to Wii is a real pain, and that version is equally bad about storage for no reason.

Technomancer, I deleted you, but will re-add.

Wikzo said:
Does anyone know whether the US version of the NDS game will work with the PAL version of the Wii game?

Yes it works perfectly (also works in reverse too! PAL DS game works with US Showcase!)

Man I haven't had any time to make anything recently. Sucks :(

jgkspsx

I'm still working on a game. The shame is that once these collective effort things slack off, they tend to die.

You know what really killed this thread, though? Everybody's shelves filling up. Thanks for the loads of useless comic and music pages in game-making software, Nintendo.

if there are any of my completed games you'd like (there's a list somewhere) I can upload them.

Say, did anybody see the Mario-based JoustPong clone? It plays much better than my attempts. I'd like to see how he did it, but I think it's locked.

jgkspsx said:
You know what really killed this thread, though? Everybody's shelves filling up. Thanks for the loads of useless comic and music pages in game-making software, Nintendo.
Yeah, that's why I stopped. Might start up again if I get Showcase though, so I can make some room by transferring games...

JesseZao

cooljeanius said:
Yeah, that's why I stopped. Might start up again if I get Showcase though, so I can make some room by transferring games...
Yeah same reason here. I regret having neglected this game, but so much other stuff has come out and i got overwhelmed with all the theme games filling up my spaces.

They needto get their act together with online features. We should be able to post up to six things that anyone can find without codes. Also, they should have online playlists with rotating big name games and the theme ones. Add leaderboards and gamecube like multiplayer and we'd have the definative warioware experience.

Lijik

Shiggy said:
Does nobody play it anymore? You guys haven't uploaded new games :/

I drew some design documents for microgames a while back but I haven't gotten around to making them due to focusing on other DS games and not spending a lot of time with my DS

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well the game arrived in the post today so I'll get round to messing about with it later this evening.
It's like arriving at a party where only there's only a few Twiglets left in a bowl and a cube of cheese on a lone toothpick.

Shiggy said:
Does nobody play it anymore? You guys haven't uploaded new games :/

I made a new game! I made it from the first random name that came up on the Makermatic (strangely enough, I did this before finding out that the current theme was making games from the random name generator so that was lucky :lol)

It's online now. Put it on about 4-5 days ago.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Don't know how many people are still playing this but I guess I might as well post my friend code; 3954 0731 4368.

Made two games so far. First one is a simple parachute game where you have to open your chute before hitting the dotted line, the second involves dodging cars and was mostly an experiment is scaling animation.

jgkspsx

I've got two new games. Count 'em: one, two new games.

OK, so they reuse assets and one of them is a reskin/tweaking of the Mario-based JoustPong that was a winner in the "sports" competition, but... still.

NukeMuffin, can you add me in the DS version too?

jgkspsx

BGBW said:
Made two games so far. First one is a simple parachute game where you have to open your chute before hitting the dotted line, the second involves dodging cars and was mostly an experiment is scaling animation.
Awesome art! Fun, too.

I put up two of my older games for you to grab.

Dragmire

jgkspsx, I don't see any new games. The only games I see in your warehouse are the Joust one and the Adam and Eve one, and I've had them for a while. [edit] Nevermind. Just saw you reposted them. Let me know when you put the new ones back up. :p

Just put up a new game called Herd Seeker. It has a neat 3D effect. Also have two new comics and a new song.

I added you, BGBW. Here's my friend code: 5285 3824 2212

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
jgkspsx said:
Awesome art! Fun, too.

I put up two of my older games for you to grab.
Thanks. I've grabbed your games. Think I've got to grips with the Adam and Eve one.

Added you as well Dragmire.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My first game is up. It's a game involving Kirby eating an apple, and spitting it out at Wispy Tree. The player must time the time to inhale with Kirby correctly (although they can try multiple times), but if they miss the Apple, it will hit Kirby.

The one thing the title is missing is the music from the actual game. If someone wants to do the boss theme from Dreamland, that'd be great, otherwise I'll just leave it as is.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Name: EvilMario.
Friend Code: 3309-9002-7212

edit: For those interested, a video: http://www.vimeo.com/13407426

So I was tired of having no room on my DS version, so I finally downloaded Showcase on my Wii. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I got a sense of... what's the word? Oh, yeah, wanting to Archive Binge. Kind of disappointed about there being fewer pages, I haven't even finished downloading everything I've missed since I stopped yet, and I'm already on the second page. Also, what happened to the Big Name Games? Does this month of games from Treehouse mean they've run out or something? Besides downloadable stuff, I like some of the additions, like info from hovering the cursor over things, and the Balloon Fight music player. The graphics seem better, too (of the interface, not the games). Tapping stuff with the pointer is harder than the stylus, though. If anyone wants to send stuff to my Wii, my code is 6172 7059 7280 8268. So far only Osuwari shows up for me...

jgkspsx

I find the Wii channel to be miserable to play, even for the minigames specific to it. The Wiimote just isn't a stylus.

It's good as overflow storage and to show off your games, though. Too bad it's so frickin' slow to move games from DS to Wii.

I only download contest winners anymore if they're extremely excellent, like BGBW's. I thought the last round of contest winners was pretty crappy compared to the early ones. I haven't downloaded any of the Treehouse games, just played and moved on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been a bit slack with this game mostly because we got a new router with WPA encryption. Finally set up a system with a WEP encryption on a spare router so I can carry on using this game online.

Off on holiday for some camping so the fresh country air may jog some ideas from this ol' brain.

So I was playing some more Showcase, and that darn 18-volt, he made a game that was an exact copy of my Wario Land game, except his had better execution and graphics. Oh well, great minds think alike, I guess. :lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
image100902_1429_004.jpg

Hello Drop Dead Thread. Two for two now on my Theme Game submissions. Forgot my game at home when I went on me hols so all that potential free time has gone to waste. Ah well.

Slermy

I posted this in Jarosh's Dr. Wily thread, but I figured I'd post it here too for those interested:
So I think I'm finally ready to show these:

Having been inspired by these great mini-games by Jarosh, I went ahead and created my own set of Mega Man themed Mini-games.

Video here

It consists of four games and tells the story of one Met/Metool/Metall:

Part 1: Met-o-matic
The Met is born.

Part 2: Metool March
The Met searches for resources.

Part 3: Met Maneuver
The Met encounters Mega Man for the first time.

Part 4: Metool Duel
The Met takes a stand.

My apologies for the poor video quality and lack of pictures. It's hard to capture DS footage with a point and shoot. :(

So thank you Jarosh for your awesome mini-games, and a special thanks to Oracrest, Whimsical Phil and my friends for their much helpful feedback.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I've been out of the loop for a while, last time I played was probably May 2010. Been trying to get 40+ points on all the characters. Somehow I just got 150 on Mona but have been struggling to get to 40 on 9-volt.
KuGsj.gif

Anyways logging onto the NinSoft Store, TONS of Big Name Games and Weekly Games. I'm very happy they didn't take the old BNG's down.

So uh I might be making more games soon, I don't know if I have everyone in the OP but I probably have most everyone. If anyone wants to share post your FC or if you already have me registered, sit tight. :p If anyone's posted a new game since I last played I'll probably be grabbing that too. Especially yours, jarosh!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Shiggy said:
Really? Thought they stopped at the end of last year.

Well when I last logged on there were four. :p Now there's 26, and the last one was posted in January it seems.

Top Bottom