• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

I added you Caddywompus.

Since there are more than 50 people on the list now, I'm going to remove someone to make room. I'm going to start with people that have not been confirmed and have not been in the thread since posting their FC. (I'm only going to remove unconfirmed people as needed, so no massive housecleaning or anything like that.)

If I removed you and you want me to re-add you, just let me know.

JesseZao

Insaniac said:
thank you kind sir!

No, thank you! There was no way I was going to watch any of them, let alone 95 of them. You made it easy to vote :D
Not like it was a blind GAF member vote either, I thought it was well done!

I wish I was better at pixel art. I just end up messing around in the custom tile creator instead of trying to tighten up my graphics >_<. Not sure why I find it so fun, but I just love seeing my pixels tiled on the top screen as I draw on the bottom one :D

Chairhome

Gunloc said:
I added you Caddywompus.

Since there are more than 50 people on the list now, I'm going to remove someone to make room. I'm going to start with people that have not been confirmed and have not been in the thread since posting their FC. (I'm only going to remove unconfirmed people as needed, so no massive housecleaning or anything like that.)

If I removed you and you want me to re-add you, just let me know.
Good Idea. I was thinking about listing people as inactive on the OP, but not sure yet.

Kiwi

I just finished another game. It's called, Realman Vs. He's faced against his worst robot master of all, Spikeman. It's up to you to stop Spikeman from killing Realman. I drawn Realman badly on purpose to mock the US box art of Megaman. This was a test demo to see if I can recreate Megaman 2 balls of death animation, then I turned it into a minigame. This game gauges from very easy to almost damn near impossible. My dead brain that needs sleep couldn't score more than 20 points in this game.

I wish the description was longer, so I don't have to get out my thesaurus to use smaller words. Beware of falling spikes and spike enemy that suppose to mock the can enemies in Crashman stage. They appeared randomly, so get ready to peck them off by using your stylus before defeating Spikeman.

Rated T for mild blood violence.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Okay.. soo... is there anyone who has me entered but I'm not green?

I ask as I have so many folks I've entered who aren't...

rpmurphy

I want to get this in like a couple weeks. Is it possible to make a microgame similar to those in Rhythm Heaven? What is the restriction on how long a microgame can be?

Luigison

I put my Chicken Attack! proof of concept in my cart along with a slight update to SMB 1-2. I really should take the time to update my sprites, but it's such a pain. I wish there was a way to import images for the SD card.

I haven't unlocked everything yet, but does it ever allow you to make boss levels or import from them?

I made a new game inspired by a puzzle found in Professor Layton. Try and find a black, white and grey star on a black,white and grey background. Let me know if it's too difficult or needs more of a challenge.

I just added David Dayton, Luigison and cooljeanius

I think the only people that haven't turned Green for me that appear to be active are Insaniac, ChairHome and Boojoh. Everyone else's game have been really impressive so far, plenty have made my favorites shelf.

Luigison

Thanks Caddy. My wife wants to watch a movie now, but I'll add you and anyone else I've missed later tonight. If there's anything specific of mine you want let me know. I've got SMB 1-1 through 2-1 essentially complete.

RobbieNick

Finished making Yar's Revenge! It was much easier to make now that I know the ropes, but a much more difficult game to beat.

You tap the screen and shoot the missile from the left to right. You have to hit the Kotai from within the broken shield so you have a small window of opportunity. Yar is roaming around and can get hit by the missle. You win if you hit the Kotai, you lose if you hit Yar, the shield, or miss.

I'll put up another youtube video in a bit.

jgkspsx

Kiwi said:
I just finished another game. It's called, Realman Vs.
This is awesome.

DavidDayton said:
Okay.. soo... is there anyone who has me entered but I'm not green?
Me.

RobbieNick said:
I think I'll do Yar's Revenge next.
Luigison said:
I put my Chicken Attack! proof of concept in my cart along with a slight update to SMB 1-2.
I surely wish that ye were green.

Luigison said:
I haven't unlocked everything yet, but does it ever allow you to make boss levels or import from them?
No :(

RobbieNick

My game's finally finished. I tweaked Yar's roaming so it wasn't as hard. Wish I has a better effect when I hit the enemy and the broken shield doesn't really do anything. Feel free to download this if you'd like to make some improvements. My Wii Friend code is 1342 9800 4985 7315.

Here's the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5W2M4lBHRo

EDIT:
Here's my DS Code 3953-9775-1303

jgkspsx

RobbieNick said:
My game's finally finished. I tweaked Yar's roaming so it wasn't as hard. Wish I has a better effect when I hit the enemy and the broken shield doesn't really do anything. Feel free to download this if you'd like to make some improvements. My Wii Friend code is 1342 9800 4985 7315.

Here's the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5W2M4lBHRo

EDIT:
Here's my DS Code 3953-9775-1303
Added you on both DS and Wii, but WFC is horribly unpredictable.

I'd consider adding large blocks playing the screen dissolve animation that you set visible when the queen's switch turns on, and z-ordering them in front. I think you'd have just enough memory room.

You could at least add a screen flash and a sound effect. Though DIY doesn't feature any SFX as cool as the real Yar's Revenge.

Luigison

jgkspsx said:
I surely wish that ye were green.

I ran out of slots at Kiwi, but still have the following that have never turned green:
InfectedZ
Celebi21
RedBoot
guerragam
LordHelm
Phred
Pizza L
Outtrigge
Jesse (1st)
ElPesca
delleps
Blue
random

I can delete some of the above it they don't turn green or someone tells me they still want to share.

Here's the ones I just added:
cooljean
dbot
JMan
Vyse
Jesse (2nd)
The-Tech
Kiwi

Jesse, did you keep the 2nd code or import the first one from your old DS?

So that leaves the following I haven't added:
jgkspsx - 2107 1112 0063
Insaniac - 5414-2521-2453
Caddywompus - 1076 3488 1080

I also need to update my Wii friends.

jgkspsx

Pesca, BlueGriffon, and randomkid are active. JesseZ's new ID is the one he's using. Nobody else on your list of not-turned-green is green for me. Insaniac's and Caddy's games are great, so you might want to add them. Caddy has already cycled through one...

I just added JoustPong. "The future of gaming can be summed up in two words -- Pong and Joust" as someone once said on the newsgroups. This is much more to the Pong side than the Joust side - only the control mechanic (tap to flap) is really Joust-related. The CPU paddle doesn't use the flap mechanic, either, which is sort of disappointing, but the lack of position-based conditionals makes that seemingly really hard.

I had to make a number of compromises to avoid having the game frustratingly random. My ball, which has most of the logic in it, is full up of AI, and I can't use my usual trick of stacking a hidden object behind it, since the additional changes I'd like to make have to control the movement of the ball.

• I target the CPU paddle from the start. This gives the player time to react, and also avoids having the ball start at an overly oblique angle so it bounces pointlessly around. I'd prefer to randomly target the player's paddle as well, but I don't believe that's possible.
  • The ball roams in one direction when the CPU hits it and in another when the player hits it. This works pretty well, but due to an addition to the player paddle, there's a bit of a cheat possible.
  • The CPU paddle is kinda weird. I added a stack of "Target" instructions followed by a roam instruction. You'd think that the target instructions wouldn't have an effect, but they do seem to improve the success percentage. The CPU isn't that much worse than any other Pong CPU...
  • I use the player paddle switch and an animation timer to control flap up time and descent time.
  • When the player scores, the ball comes back at the player. When the player scores again (which is frequent for some reason) it keeps coming back at the player. This isn't ideal, but with the CPU limitations I don't see an alternative.

Anyway, all my games are open, so if you're interested in tinkering I see a variety of potential updates:
  • Add a score counter. Start the CPU at 14 and increment to 15 if the CPU scores. Start the player at 0 to keep things interesting ;)
  • Change the player mechanic to remove the flap - just reverse directions when the screen is tapped.
  • Add sound effects for contact with the top or bottom of the frame.

So my published games so far are:
Perfect Sunset - tap object game with interesting stage graphics effects.
Xprs Yrslf - like an arcade crane game as far as controls go
Penelope - a reinvention of my least favorite WW Touched game, where you had to get the Metroids off Samus. Pretty complete AI. I'm interested in what people think of the difficulty adjustment I did with the soldier graphics...
Samus GET - tap the bouncing ball, with collision detection fully implemented
JoustPong - see above
Only the last two are online. Let me know if you want any of the others.

randomkid

yeah I've been checking in fairly regularly and I had added all the people who'd posted on the last couple pages, but a bunch haven't shown up yet still, (e.g. chairhome, caddy, robbie, cooljean, luigi, insaniac, david). The system seems to have some major problems, unless a disproportionate number of people entered my code in wrong.

I'm actually finally working on another game! This one will actually use nicely plagiarized pixel art (google image search is great) and not be as retarded as the last one I made.

Luigison, I've had you added since I first got the game. David Dayton just turned green for me this morning so I'm still holding on to hope that everyone will eventually green for me. Same goes to Chairhome.

Robbienick, I don't have your code and I didn't see it in the OP. What is it?

Edit: Duh. Robbienick's code is right there. I'll add it when I get home from work.

RobbieNick

This is me being a newb, but where do you go to make comics? I don't see it at the DIY Studio.

Also, does anyone know where I can find pixel art for the old Nintendo Popeye game?

jgkspsx

RobbieNick said:
This is me being a newb, but where do you go to make comics? I don't see it at the DIY Studio.
You have to go through the horribly slow, unskippable tutorial. For shame, Nintendo.

New game underway. My first using stolen pixel art :D

Luigison

I deleted:
InfectedZ
Celebi21
Jesse (1st)

And added:
jgkspsx - 2107 1112 0063

Then connected to the Warehouse to check the Friend Crates and none of the ones I've added since delleps have turned green.

Kiwi

jgkspsx said:
You have to go through the horribly slow, unskippable tutorial. For shame, Nintendo.

New game underway. My first using stolen pixel art :D
NOO!!! Don't steal mine! >< JK.

Nintendo WFC is wierd. I had Luigison added last week and he's still not green. DavidDayton not green. I have Jesse green now. I have about 1/5 green on my friend's list.

jgkspsx

Kiwi said:
Nintendo WFC is wierd. I had Luigison added last week and he's still not green. DavidDayton not green. I have Jesse green now. I have about 1/5 green on my friend's list.
Me too.

I meant "stolen" as in "copied from an existing game" :)
It was kind of frustrating, though, as the Williams arcade games seem to have a different color palette than WWDIY provides. Did all the NES games have this palette?

Edit: At first I thought I just sucked, but I can't stop the bullet at all in Caddy's Red Steel 2 game.

Also, the Star Light game is evil. How many different backgrounds are there??

Don't feel bad. Red Steel 2 micro-game is pretty cheap. While testing it, I'm playing the game over and over. Since you know it's coming, you're prepared but when you throw it into the blender it's just too fast to react. I may go back and tweak it later once I'm done with my latest game.

I'm really enjoying the JoustPong game. I think it works well with requiring the player to just connect on that first serve then have the paddle being targeted. The user can still get lazy and loose the game even with the ball targeting the paddle. There have been plenty of times were I think I've won but needed an extra tap on a return.

EDIT: Star Light game has one background that has three large objects set to appear randomly. So in each micro-game the background is different and the star is in another location. Does it get easier once you are familiar with what the star looks like? Should I extend the game to "long" or would that make it too easy?

jgkspsx

Caddywompus said:
Don't feel bad. Red Steel 2 micro-game is pretty cheap. While testing it, I'm playing the game over and over. Since you know it's coming, you're prepared but when you throw it into the blender it's just too fast to react. I may go back and tweak it later once I'm done with my latest game.
How is it supposed to work? When you do have to block the bullet? Edit: N/M, finally got it. RIGHT AWAY.

EDIT: Star Light game has one background that has three large objects set to appear randomly. So in each micro-game the background is different and the star is in another location. Does it get easier once you are familiar with what the star looks like? Should I extend the game to "long" or would that make it too easy?
I found two of the stars, but the third one still eludes me. Do the backgrounds get placed randomly?

I wouldn't change anything about it - it's really good. Just hard :lol

I'm glad you like JoustPong. It's one of my favorites so far. I'm uploading a sequel, Joustboard. This uses pixelart I transcribed to accomplish an entertaining shuffleboard-type game. Beware the invincible (?) pterodactyl! If anybody wants to use my sprites, please feel free.

RobbieNick

Luigison said:
I deleted:
InfectedZ
Celebi21
Jesse (1st)

And added:
jgkspsx - 2107 1112 0063

Then connected to the Warehouse to check the Friend Crates and none of the ones I've added since delleps have turned green.

Add me!!:D

jgkspsx

RobbieNick said:
I put up my first comic and it's in the storage.
HEH, that's a good one. Though the AI part hasn't given me a problem. I could do a lot more if I had one more AI rule for each object to work with, though.

Luigison

JodyAnthony said:
just fyi, traded in this game on goozex today, so people can delete me from their friends list if they would like.
Deleted.

RobbieNick said:
Added.

Connected to the Warehouse and noticed a couple of people I added a long time ago are now green.

jgkspsx

Thanks!

I see Luigison now. You know, I've had a "connection error" right before every new green person showed up. Every time. I'm starting to think that their online service requires databases on different servers to be synced up in bulk periodically. That's a really amateurish setup. Yet games are available more or less instantly. It's just weird.

Edit: Apparently someone hacked the game to create a DIY boss level and a "boss template" is being passed around GameFAQs. Anybody have an active account there who could get it and pass it around?

Examples here: http://diy-wikihouse.wikispaces.com/PONG!
Whoa. Wouldn't be fun in the shuffle, though.

jgkspsx said:
How is it supposed to work? When you do have to block the bullet? Edit: N/M, finally got it. RIGHT AWAY.

I found two of the stars, but the third one still eludes me. Do the backgrounds get placed randomly?

I wouldn't change anything about it - it's really good. Just hard :lol

I'm glad you like JoustPong. It's one of my favorites so far. I'm uploading a sequel, Joustboard. This uses pixelart I transcribed to accomplish an entertaining shuffleboard-type game. Beware the invincible (?) pterodactyl! If anybody wants to use my sprites, please feel free.

You can actually stop the bullet soon as you see it. After it speeds up once, you're pretty much forced to stop it by the middle of the screen.

There's only one star and it's always the same. The three large objects are essentially cuts out of the background that are shuffled around randomly to get throw the location of the star. That way it doesn't look like a star was cut out and laid on top of a pattern. Rather there are multiple cuts out spread across the screen.

Also added randomkid and RobbieNick

Luigison

jgkspsx said:
Thanks!

I see Luigison now. You know, I've had a "connection error" right before every new green person showed up. Every time. I'm starting to think that their online service requires databases on different servers to be synced up in bulk periodically. That's a really amateurish setup. Yet games are available more or less instantly. It's just weird.

Edit: Apparently someone hacked the game to create a DIY boss level and a "boss template" is being passed around GameFAQs. Anybody have an active account there who could get it and pass it around?

Examples here: http://diy-wikihouse.wikispaces.com/PONG!
Whoa. Wouldn't be fun in the shuffle, though.
I notice the same errors and then people showing up. Also, I really want to make some boss levels!

jgkspsx

So... unless I misunderstand, there are a whole bunch of records I can't unlock without trading games with other DSes IRL? That's really kinda crappy. I guess ultimately I don't care, but... hm.

zigg

jgkspsx said:
So... unless I misunderstand, there are a whole bunch of records I can't unlock without trading games with other DSes IRL? That's really kinda crappy. I guess ultimately I don't care, but... hm.

If the majority of those records were worth listening to I might have cared more myself, heh. But yeah, there's a number of those that are really just exemplary of Stupid Achievement Syndrome.

Deleted JodyAnthony and added Caddywompus and RobbieNick. I have no more room for any more friend codes. So far the following people are green for me:
gunloc
osuwari
jessezao
elpescado
dbot
jman
kiwi

Edit: whichever one of you is Chris, I can't seem to figure out Realman Vs...

jgkspsx

zigg said:
If the majority of those records were worth listening to I might have cared more myself, heh. But yeah, there's a number of those that are really just exemplary of Stupid Achievement Syndrome.
Yeah. I do like some of the classical pieces and most of the 9-Volt tracks, though.

Kiwi

cooljeanius said:
Deleted JodyAnthony and added Caddywompus and RobbieNick. I have no more room for any more friend codes. So far the following people are green for me:
gunloc
osuwari
jessezao
elpescado
dbot
jman
kiwi

Edit: whichever one of you is Chris, I can't seem to figure out Realman Vs...

I am Chris.

Tap on Spikeman(4 times) until his energy bar is depleted, to win the game. His energy bar is on the right side of the screen. Occasionally there will be spike falling down from the ceiling, tap on it to destroy it, if it going to land on Realman. Sometimes, there will be a spike enemy that will fly to Realman and kill Realman. Tap on spike enemy to destroy it.

The purpose of this game is to make fun of Megaman. Megaman true weakness is spike, since it destroy Megaman in one hit if he touch spike in his game. I just had an idea to make the protagonist to be a real person instead of a robot. Realman was drawn poorly to mock Megaman and Megaman 2 box art.

I hope this helps.

Kiwi said:
I am Chris.

Tap on Spikeman(4 times) until his energy bar is depleted, to win the game. His energy bar is on the right side of the screen. Occasionally there will be spike falling down from the ceiling, tap on it to destroy it, if it going to land on Realman. Sometimes, there will be a spike enemy that will fly to Realman and kill Realman. Tap on spike enemy to destroy it.

The purpose of this game is to make fun of Megaman. Megaman true weakness is spike, since it destroy Megaman in one hit if he touch spike in his game. I just had an idea to make the protagonist to be a real person instead of a robot. Realman was drawn poorly to mock Megaman and Megaman 2 box art.

I hope this helps.
Oh, ok. I got it, but it's still hard.

Finally finished my entry for the sports theme game contest, just need to put in some finishing touches.

After the entry deadline has passed, I'll put it in my warehouse.

Edit: BooJoh, I love your "Abduction" game. The cows are awesome.

randomkid

Just put up a new game, pretty simple again and there's some rough edges but I had a great time making it. Tracing out the pixel art is pretty fun and actually quite easy, thanks again to google images for helping out those of us who are talentless.

I think I'm kind of convinced now that the only sure way to connect with new folks is to somehow be on at the same time. All the folks I mentioned in my last post are still grey, despite some people specifically saying that I'd been added! Pretty weird setup.

Luigison

I had about 45 minutes free today, but no access to my computer so I decided to edit Duck Hunt into Dawg Hunt. It took over 2 hours to finish though. The point system limit meant I had to change everything except for one of the dog's sprite loops. It's in my crate now if anyone's interested. As always, feedback is welcome.

Finally got around to trying this week's games from Nintendo. Rocky Road is alright, but I really like Digital Daze. My only problem is that the clock doesn't have a second space for 10, 11 & 12 on the clock. It would have looked a bit better that way, even though it would have been purely aesthetic.

The BNG this week is pretty disappointing again. No element of skill requited and it wasn't even tested thoroughly again. If you tap Meat Boy again after he's reached his target, it will repeat the running animation.

I hope we get some more with the challenge & polish of Pixel & Sakurai's games.

Edit: Tried your "Dawg Hunt" game Luigison. I liked your faithfulness to the graphics and I enjoyed taking revenge on that dog. (I've always hated him. XD )

It might be nice to have a graphic to show when the dog is hit, but I see you are low on points.

Top Bottom