• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

Deku

Banned
Andrex said:
I'm so bad. Now that I've gotten back into SoulSilver I haven't picked up this game in at least a week... and that includes FCs. I'm usually so good about them too. :(

in a way this game is such a tease, because you know they are fully capable of allowing us to make longer games with the same tools.

If they doubled or tripled the object limits, added more instructions, and allowed for longer games, allowed us to script and string together the micro games into stages, we could easily be making full fledged 8-bit games.

But it wouldn't be a Wario Ware game anymore. This seems like a perfect 'platform' to include as a standard software in the next DS machine, and just save games directly into the internal storage.

randomkid

Yeah pesca the sprites in your game are great, did you make them all from scratch or use a guide? Either way, pretty amazing.

I was at a conference all week so I'm slowly adding people. Deku's Twinbee game is awesome too, I really liked the attention to detail in the background.

Deku

Banned
randomkid said:
Yeah pesca the sprites in your game are great, did you make them all from scratch or use a guide? Either way, pretty amazing.

I was at a conference all week so I'm slowly adding people. Deku's Twinbee game is awesome too, I really liked the attention to detail in the background.

thanks, you're one of the few to make the connection to TwinBee.

There are more levels coming, just sort of bogged down atm with RL.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I have to stop playing the built in games. Its not good for my self esteem playing some of these things.

Also, my FC is: 0947 4749 8143
Only game I have up is still that one Pokemon thing, but I'm working on more. Heart Gold has just eaten too much of my time lately.

jman2050

Shipped out my first game, also my entry to the design challenge, called Pump it Up!

I probably should've spent more time on it and I doubt it'll win, but here it is I guess :lol

New weekly & BNG games are up. Only one new Big Name Game this week, by Alex Neuse of Gaijin Games. (BIT.TRIP series)

It's a fun game, but he didn't really test it enough as there is a way to "cheat" and never lose the game. You are supposed to continually jump over the fires, but if you just keep tapping the screen over and over after you jump for the first time, Commander Video won't touch the ground again and you can just "float" to the goal line.

I imported the game into the MakerMatic and reprogrammed it so you can't "float" anymore, and I just put it up in my warehouse. So check it out if you want to see how the game is (presumably?) supposed to work. (No offense intended to Mr. Neuse.)

Edit: I also took out a frame of animation. It was the "bonk" cel that played when you run into the fire, but he only had it programmed to display when you hit the first flame but not the others for some reason. I was going to add it to all three fires, but there wasn't room after I implemented the "float" fix so I removed it entirely for consistency.

I'll only leave it up for 24 hours, and then I'm going to replace it with my entry for the machines theme contest.

(For those still a little rusty with your programming skills, it might be a fun idea to see if you can devise a fix for the game yourself. It may help you with your own games in the future.)

I'm glad people liked my game. The Darkwing Duck and Megavolt sprites were from the Darkwing Duck NES game. I recolored and touched them up a little bit since D.I.Y. has a little more options than the NES does for colors per sprite. I made the music myself and stole the background from 9-volt's Metroid microgame.

I'll probably go back and do an actual background from the Darkwing Duck game and try to balance the difficulty a little bit once I make another game or two. I really wanted to get this Darkwing Duck one out of my head since I've been thinking about it ever since I first heard of WarioWare D.I.Y.

Still only have like 8 people confirmed on my friends list though... :[

Dbot

Banned
I added the rest of the friend codes but I still only have a few people showing up as confirmed. I also shipped out a new comic. And El Pescado, I love your Darkwing Duck game!

Kiwi

I added everyone on the list, there's 3 names left to add. I made one game last night.

The game is to click the yes button. The game is set in a throne room that looks similar to Dragon Warrior throne room. The art is not identical to the original Dragon Warrior. There are 3 Easter eggs in this game. Enjoy.

My friend code is 3309 7225 1154

Wii Number is 5179 3272 8179 8881

Dragmire

Gunloc said:
It's a fun game, but he didn't really test it enough as there is a way to "cheat" and never lose the game. You are supposed to continually jump over the fires, but if you just keep tapping the screen over and over after you jump for the first time, Commander Video won't touch the ground again and you can just "float" to the goal line.
Yeah, I noticed that too. It's surprising how 'amateurish' some of the big name games have been so far. Especially since it's sort of advertising for their games. The 'suck goo' one is a little understandable because he made it in a video for the Nintendo Channel, but it's not like they couldn't have given him any more time.

Ron Carmel: "But it's barely finished, I..."
Nintendo rep: "We must have it hurrrry! Hit submit!"

I'm really glad people like my Darkwing Duck game. I just uploaded a newer version of it to my Warehouse. I cleaned up some of the AI, altered the sprites a tad, and changed the background (though I still didn't build one from the ground up...)

I checked the D.I.Y. Records and I just got the medal for being in the GameMaker21 for over 5 hours so I put even more work into it than I originally thought I did.

Starting to get more people showing up as green on my game. Got 13 out of 48 now...

Edit: That Mega Man X game looks awesome. XD

JesseZao

Hey pescado (and others), could you check if you have my correct FC down? I had to change it recently when I got rid of my old DS. I really want to check your game out :D

My FC should be 5328-3536-8369

Thanks !

Dragmire said:
Yeah, I noticed that too. It's surprising how 'amateurish' some of the big name games have been so far. Especially since it's sort of advertising for their games. The 'suck goo' one is a little understandable because he made it in a video for the Nintendo Channel, but it's not like they couldn't have given him any more time.

Ron Carmel: "But it's barely finished, I..."
Nintendo rep: "We must have it hurrrry! Hit submit!"
The Fire Bad! game was made in a video too. But I don't think that's a good excuse though, Sakurai also made his game in a video and it's great. Mr. Neuse said he only spent about an hour and a half on the game, and that shows.

I'm sure they are allowed to tweak the games as much as they want, they just aren't putting enough time into testing the games. You need to test every possibility to make sure that the game doesn't have an exploits or mistakes. It only took me about ten minutes to fix the "float" glitch, if he would have taken a bit more time to polish the game he could have caught it too. (Plus the "bonk" inconsistency.)

FYI: Gary & Alison's games from Nintendo Week are going to be available next month, but I hope they refine them a bit. From what I've seen in this week's episode, they have no difficulty factor whatsoever. Just touch the same object over and over.

Took down Fire Bad! v2 (and the notes) and put up my entry for the machines theme contest. (Lab Partners)

This was actually the first microgame I made by myself and I put a lot of time into it. Comments are always welcome.

Also, I just noticed they are accepting entries for the second theme contest. (Sports)

Chairhome

I still don't have half the people on here confirmed. Its weird.

Started making my new game, I'm going to be using NES sprites because I am a bad artist, haha. I'm starting out with making the AIs first and doing the assembly, then I'll go back and change the art to NES sprites.

zigg

New game! Guess what I've been playing lately :D

And whoa! I just picked up beelzebozo! About damn time!

I wonder if the rest of you will filter in slowly or something...

rexor0717

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, I have to stop playing the built in games. Its not good for my self esteem playing some of these things.

Also, my FC is: 0947 4749 8143
Only game I have up is still that one Pokemon thing, but I'm working on more. Heart Gold has just eaten too much of my time lately.
Tulio.gif

Your avatar is amazing.

zigg

I shipped another... I guess you can play it, but it's not really meant to be a game so much as a demo technique.

Basically, it shows you how to build a binary counter. In my example, it counts 64 taps, and yes, you must do 64 to win :D

Also, I now have Osuwari and Deku! My theory about people slowly trickling in seems sound... I'll try to connect a bunch of times today.

Been out of the loop for the last few days, only had the time to make one new game this time and I've uploaded it to my Warehouse for all to enjoy!

I've also added everyone else who has been newly added to the OP (And I'm almost out of space on my Friends List already :lol)

Haven't added any new Wii friends yet, will do so later!

Kiwi

That Dark Wing duck game is awesome! Nice job doing the sprites for this game!

I only have 3 people showing up on my list.

I replace the current one, to change some minor stuff.

I finished another game. It's up there ready to be downloaded. This one is placed in a shop. The goal is to pick the right product that your character is asking for. There are 8 different products to chose from. The product is place at random spot every game. The herbs are repeated 2 times to make this game a bit easier. There are no different between the 2 herb sprites, they are both herbs. There is a leaf sword that would make it more difficult to find since the other 2 herbs looks like that sword.

Drawing took the most time(3-4 hours) to do. I'm getting use to this color pallete because I tend to saturated colors for my sprite work. I make use for the L and R button to tile the background from custom paintbrush, to make it look like an NES or Color Game boy game.

The AI stuff is a bit trickier. There are only 6 win condition and there's 8 conditions in this game to win the game. I use an object that would watch other object's switches. When that other object switch turns on, then this object will turn on alerting the winning condition, thus winning the game. The shield is the object that watches the other 2 objects. The torches, masks, and doll are there not as prop. The 2 torches helps decide the 4 initial object location. The 2 masks and a doll helps decide which one of the 8(well 7) objects that needed to be picked win this game. I think it's better to fill up the graphic box, rather than leaving it invisible. I added a few Easter eggs(I think 5) in this game.

The minor flaw that the objects will overlap other by 8 pixel, even if they have not to overlap command.

jgkspsx

My FC is 2107 1112 0063. My Wii ID is 6484 4998 9537 7537.

I've made one "gimmick" game (about architectural aesthetics :lol). I have some ideas about turning into something fuller-fledged, but the demo is up there, FWIW. I wish I had something resembling art skills.

This 8-bit palette is tough to work with.

Edit: Added everybody from OP. Only two slots left. The FC system is one of the most frustrating things I've ever used. It was worth it for Picross, and it will be worth it for this, but sheesh!

jgkspsx

DevelopmentArrested said:
How many Nintendo-made games are included in this (or downloadable)
90 (5 x 18), plus downloads. You have to buy the Wii game to get a "complete" set - there are another 72 in there.

As a game, this is one of least valuable purchases in the series, but it's awesome as a fun little toolset. None of the subsequent games has been up to par with the original or Twisted anyway, so it's not a huge loss.

zigg

jgkspsx said:
None of the subsequent games has been up to par with the original or Twisted anyway, so it's not a huge loss.

That said, even though I thought D.I.Y.'s full set was sort of uneven and I wouldn't place it on or above their level, I feel like the included games as a whole felt more like those venerated originals than the others did—maybe in part because of the simplicity of "what can we do with a tap?" vs. "we must demonstrate every feature of the system!"

zigg

Question for all you D.I.Y. players. I'm trying to figure out if my DSi has some bizarre wireless problem, or if D.I.Y. itself has some strange bugs.

Over Easter weekend, I was connecting to WFC, and my DSi just shut right off. Battery should have been OK; no red light. I turned it back on and it turned off again in the DSi Menu.

Then last night I had some weird issue where the wireless icon never lit up and the game told me that there was no compatible AP in range. I reset the AP, which changed nothing; but turning the DSi off and on did make it work again.

Anyone seen either of these? It's true that this is the most I've done with my DSi online (apart from DSiWare), but it's behavior I've never seen before on any DS, and I used to be a pretty big Animal Crossing player. I'm stumped.

jgkspsx

zigg said:
That said, even though I thought D.I.Y.'s full set was sort of uneven and I wouldn't place it on or above their level, I feel like the included games as a whole felt more like those venerated originals than the others did—maybe in part because of the simplicity of "what can we do with a tap?" vs. "we must demonstrate every feature of the system!"
Yes indeed! Organizing games by vague "subject matter" instead of gameplay type makes it much more fun. It's just that many of the games in DIY are rather easy.

Also, the unlockable "full games" in earlier WarioWares tended to make the games for me. (No pun intended.)

MrMister said:
I love D.I.Y. but as a full game, Touched! still has my vote as best WarioWare game.

Whoa, Touched is the only one I sold. Snapped! is pretty undeniably the worst WarioWare, if it counts, but Touched was my second-least-favorite. Some of the full games were pretty cool, though. I wish they'd release
Pyoro T
on DSiWare...

Well, two people of the 58 I entered have gone green ;)

GunLoc's games are very smooth. Hard to tell they're not Nintendo games. Nice art style, too.

Kiwi's games have amazing graphics! I lost the store game in the demo play, though, heh.

jgkspsx said:
GunLoc's games are very smooth. Hard to tell they're not Nintendo games. Nice art style, too.
Thanks for the feedback.

I just tried your Perfect Sunset game. I think the concept is really unique.

MrMister said:
Anyone download my games yet? I haven't heard a single opinion. ;(

You still never turned green for me. I check the warehouse at least 3 times a day too... :/

I love Boojoh's Castlevania game by the way.

Kiwi

jgkspsx said:
Kiwi's games have amazing graphics! I lost the store game in the demo play, though, heh.
Thanks. I think your perfect sunset game is pretty clever, even though it only a demo. I can imagine what you need to do to get a perfect sunset, such as clearing out thunder cloud, popping Tingle's balloon, chop down some dead tree, scaring away a patch of birds and *list some more stuff*.

Gunloc's games are pretty neat. I like the robot mini game that you have to grab the humans to win the game. I like the arms(The balls following it). Also that ship shooter game is very smooth.

dbot games, I only kept the kiss the princess. The other one was made by Wario.

El Pescado, I love the Darkwing Duck game. The other game game tells me that you're a fan of Earthbound.

MrMister, chairhome and Boojah. I have you guys added. My friend code is 3309 7225 1154

My next game I'm planning to make is a Game and Watch game, Oil Panic. I'm going to work on that next. My other complicated game is based off a laser disc game. I going to test the limited amount of graphics I can cram into a 16 second micro game. Hopefully I can get this one made.

zigg

I only have room for one more friend. :eek:

I might have to prune some of you early additions that never turned green if this gets any more popular.

So I've been working on some stuff, and have run into some problems. First, I have a game where I'm trying to get a planet to orbit the sun, and I'm trying to get it to move in a circle. Is it possible to do this using Travel, or do I have to use the art-changing method shown in the Assembly Dojo? Second, I have a game where I have a moving enemy that I want to hurt you if it touches you with its weapon, but not if you touch its back side. I couldn't think of a way to get it to detect which side you're touching, so I split it into two parts: the enemy and its weapon. I have the two attached, but when I try to get it to reflect, the two disconnect once the enemy is supposed to turn around. I suppose I could have the weapon move separately, but that would be a pain to get right...

fernoca

Got 'Showcase' on Wii..and ..it's really cool and well worth the $8.

Since everything is made with the DS version in mind, none of teh game use the Wii motions and other things..and basically every game requires aiming with the Wiimote and pressing A (like a giant stylus).

But darn nice, plus you can download the minigames made from the developers too..

Rafaelcsa

I downloaded the WiiWare game and like it a lot. The games simplicity reminds me of the first WarioWare. I expected a lot more from Sakamoto's game though, since he was involved with this series since the beginning. He could have at least made it so you have to shoot the Metroids twice, once to freeze and then the missle. His game was really boring, as were most of the other Big Name Games so far.

I really liked Sakurai's game though! <3

Am I the only one who finds Smooth Moves to be the best in the series? All the different ways to hold the wiimote really make the game for me. It's so damn funny to watch people play it. That game was one of the reasons I bought my Wii.

Granted, I still haven't played Twisted
nor Snapped, for that matter.

Insaniac

I just uploaded my first game that I am proud of, Cops!

Time your taps to shoot and hit the robbers car three times to stop them! But be careful because you only have FOUR shots!

Its in my warehouse and my FC is

5414--2521--2453

I'm going to start adding codes from the OP. I hope you all try it and give me some constructive criticism. I spent nearly 6 hours on it. I'm also willing to share information on how i made it.

also if you add me, let me know so I can specifically add you, since there are A LOT of codes in the OP

I added you Insaniac.

Chairhome said:
There's gotta be something wrong with their servers. I still don't have half of the people on here showing up as green.
I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, as it took a while for some active people in this topic to be confirmed on my list. But there are also a lot of people that have only posted their FC in this topic and that's it, I'm not sure they're actively playing the game right now which may be why there are a bunch of unconfirmed.

jman2050 said:
I haven't heard any impressions on my game yet :<
I like the art style of your game, the machine especially.

You might want to add a sound effect to the pumps to give it a bit more punch.

Gunloc said:
I added you Insaniac.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, as it took a while for some active people in this topic to be confirmed on my list. But there are also a lot of people that have only posted their FC in this topic and that's it, I'm not sure they're actively playing the game right now which may be why there are a bunch of unconfirmed.

I've added everyone in the thread and connect to the warehouse a few times a day and I've still only got like 11 green'd friends on my list. It's a little disheartening.

Someone on Gamefaqs seems to think that if you're connected to the warehouse at the same time as another person you'll instantly green each other. Maybe some of us should set up a time to try and all be online. I'm about halfway done with my 2nd game and it's gonna kill me if only 9 people download it again.

Top Bottom