• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

delleps

Neo Member
Gunloc said:
You both have to have each other's friend code registered and you both have to connect to the warehouse afterwards.

Well that changes everything.
Add, please. I added everyone from the OP.
1720 5644 7973

I've now added everyone from the OP. So far I've only gotten Boojoh and Gunloc adding me back. Kinda stinks that you have to both add each other to get games.

Did Nintendo of Japan ever host a large amount of good games or just like two a week from famous people and stuff like NOA is doing now.

JesseZao

Looks like I need to spend more time on the art in my games, there some great stuff drawn by people here :)

It's too bad that you can only share 2 at a time, because as I keep making new games I have to kick one off to share it. Guess I should just make a bunch and go with my best two polished games.

IceMarker

Everyone just needs to keep connecting to WFC at least once a day so the friend check can go through.

Also I got Deku confirmed! I like the TWINgaf micro game, also the candle one is interesting from an artistic point of view, hope you enjoy my two games!

I'll have the other 2 up this Monday. Like I said, I'll make 2 new games and upload them every Monday I can. :D
Please don't forget to give me some feedback on my games!

Deku

Banned
MrMister said:
Everyone just needs to keep connecting to WFC at least once a day so the friend check can go through.

Also I got Deku confirmed! I like the TWINgaf micro game, also the candle one is interesting from an artistic point of view, hope you enjoy my two games! I'll have the other 2 up this Monday. Like I said, I'll make 2 new games and upload them every Monday I can. :D

Thanks, glad you liked both.

Candle game was my 1st microgame in DIY, so the art wasn't really up to par.

I'm doing more of the series, working on a boss fight :)

randomkid

I picked this up at Best Buy last week as part of a sale and I've been enjoying it so much I felt the need to sing the game's praises, especially considering the somewhat muted reaction to the game so far. This is a really special awesome-ass game.

Right from the tutorial the game had me, the quality of the writing is exceptional, it's clear and elegant and funny all at once, I laughed out loud every time Wario impulsively took over and tried his hand at a task. Something about watching Wario's confusion represented in poor drawing skills or cursor movements is really effing hilarious. The tiny sprite icons that represent things like undo or scroll are so great, I think the dancing swap orientation dude in his boxers is my favorite.

I also had fun completing the Assembly Dojo techniques, at first I didn't notice that they tell you exactly where the programming needs to be changed, so finishing each one was almost like a little puzzle. The fact that the game can teaches you how to think about making games in such an intuitive streamlined way is really remarkable.

I bought this game not knowing if I would ever really be able to create my own game, but the game eases you into things so well that I found myself fully engrossed in the creation process. Just making a dumb little game about a plane flying is so absorbing and fun, it's real satisfying to see everything come together.

Anyways, sorry for rambling like an idiot, here's my friend code, I'm going to add everyone in the OP and people who've posted codes recently too. Looking forward to trying out all your games as I struggle to figure out a way to make my Wu Tang microgame magnum opus.

randomkid
3825 0952 5981

I have been away. Sorry I have not posted anything new since the 1st. Been playing with my new iPad quite alot. Just wanted to say that I added everyone and I will try to check out everyones new levels later.

Posted a new game today "Tap Yellow" (replaces minigore game) and I also posted a new comic and a new music piece.

Luigison

SMB 1-3 and 2-1 beta are now in my cart. Level 1-3 is basically ready to leave beta, but I still don't like the big honking button. Any ideas? Level 2-1 "Coin Heaven" works well, but I haven't added the official art for the platform or clouds yet.

In 2-1 it was a pain to make a special object to count part of the coins since you can only have 6 win conditions. Is there an code for "increment" or "+1"? What about using "OR" logic? Is there a way to have commands follow each other? For example, "go 16 px North then go 8px East" without having to have the objects hit an object or area.

Is there any way to access the boss stages besides the blender? I'd like to make longer games and take a look under the hood of some of the boss stages.

Deku

Banned
Luigison said:
SMB 1-3 and 2-1 beta are now in my cart. Level 1-3 is basically ready to leave beta, but I still don't like the big honking button. Any ideas? Level 2-1 "Coin Heaven" works well, but I haven't added the official art for the platform or clouds yet.

In 2-1 it was a pain to make a special object to count part of the coins since you can only have 6 win conditions. Is there an code for "increment" or "+1"? What about using "OR" logic? Is there a way to have commands follow each other? For example, "go 16 px North then go 8px East" without having to have the objects hit an object or area.

Is there any way to access the boss stages besides the blender? I'd like to make longer games and take a look under the hood of some of the boss stages.

please add me, you're still grayed out on mine.

Deku - 0174 3801 9588

As for your question, there is no or condition. I think your solution will work, or you can skimp on your objects by using an existing object, like a background prop or some other item which you are not using the switch for, check the coins. Then have your win condition linked to that object or objects.

That saves you having to use a specialized object just for that.

Luigison

Deku said:
please add me, you're still grayed out on mine.

Deku - 0174 3801 9588
I added you on Monday so I double checked and your code is right because it wouldn't let me add you again. Everyone I've added since Monday (slots 33 to 40) are still question marks and I've connected to the warehouse over a dozen times and the Nin store several times since then. I even connected twice after adding everyone just to make sure. You could have my code wrong, but from what I've read here and at other forums the friends connecting takes way too long for some reason.

Deku said:
As for your question, there is no or condition. I think your solution will work, or you can skimp on your objects by using an existing object, like a background prop or some other item which you are not using the switch for, check the coins. Then have your win condition linked to that object or objects.

That saves you having to use a specialized object just for that.
I'd thought of that, but made the special object thinking I could later use it as a coin counter too, but that won't work as far as I've tested without an increment command. I'd thought I could have the coin switches change the image for each number in the counter, but that would mess up if a coin was skipped. So I thought I could use ANDs, but there are only 6 commands per object so they'd get used up quickly and if I used other objects it would get unnecessarily busy fast. A simple increment command would have been awesome.

---

In other news, I'd thought that the Wiiware and DS titles had the same games, but after watching the 3rd advanced video I gave the Wiiware games a try, and many of them are great. I even noticed that someone had a Wiiware game in their cart. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know the games existed or that they could be shared until that video. I just wish I we could share more than 2 at a time and could view and make boss levels.

JesseZao

Edit: Got an XL

Would be nice if the first 30 or so people would continue to add the people lower on the list. I want to try everyone's games out!

Osuwari

hm, my Wii FC is misssing from the OP

2210 6606 1724 4636

i added more people on the DS game. it's a pain to access friend crates recently though....

So I uploaded my first original microgame this morning. It's actually the second game I've completed but I'm keeping the first one under wraps for now.

Everything in the game is from scratch. I had the maestro help me with the music, but I altered the original piece to my liking.

Let me know what you think everyone. I'm not in love with the enemies, but they are growing on me. (They went through three redesigns.)

Chairhome

Sorry, Osuwari, added to the OP.

Wish I had time to work on stuff, maybe this weekend. I have three ideas (of games based on existing IPs), but we'll see if I have time for them!

Got the game today, along with Red Steel 2. My friend code for this is 3696 2642 6625. I've added everyone up until zigg so far, working on adding the rest...
Edit: Done with everyone with the DS version

Luigison

I've added everyone in the OP again for the DS version. Of the dozen or so I added on Monday only one is showing up. Is there something special we have to do to connect? I always connect to the Warehouse after adding people, but do we have to be on at the same time. I also use nicks that are shorter sometimes. Do the names have to be identical?

vagabondarts said:
cooljeanius, my game wont let me add you, when I try to register your code, it tells me your friend code is incorrect
Oops, I had the last 2 digits switched. it should be 25, not 52. Sorry about that, will go switch it.

zigg

Insaniac said:
I really want this game... is the only action you can use in microgames "tapping" ?

That's the only user interaction trigger—either on an object or anywhere on the screen—but there's quite a bit of flexibility in what you can accomplish through creative programming from that.

Dbot

Banned
Just got this game tonight. My friend code is 1376 9822 8608. I made a simple game where you have to stop a ball from changing colors. I'll add everyone else.

Lijik

Added the latest two people, and also put a new game in my crate. Its based off of the poorly received platformer Eternity's Child

jman2050

Just got this yesterday. Seems pretty cool so far.

JMan - 2450-7227-4401 for reference. Hope to get some stuff going soon.

Also added everyone on the OP list.

JesseZao

New DS so new friend code
Please fix this for 3DS Nintendo

New FC: 5328-3536-8369

Thanks for anyone going back to add people, I have everyone in the thread so far.

Deku

Banned
Luigison said:
I've added everyone in the OP again for the DS version. Of the dozen or so I added on Monday only one is showing up. Is there something special we have to do to connect? I always connect to the Warehouse after adding people, but do we have to be on at the same time. I also use nicks that are shorter sometimes. Do the names have to be identical?

added everyone that has posted on this page.

going to delete and re-add you luigi

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well... my most technically complex/detailed game is now up for download. I'm not sure if that says much, but go try:

SOCK'EM ROBO!

Punch-Out!! / Teleroboxer inspired robot battle boxing.

Luigison said:

I don't know... I'd say that about half my list has yet to appear...

JesseZao said:
New DS so new friend code
Please fix this for 3DS Nintendo

Er... were you aware that you can transfer your DS online profile from one DS to another? Doing that retains all your game specific friend codes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DavidDayton said:
Er... were you aware that you can transfer your DS online profile from one DS to another? Doing that retains all your game specific friend codes.

Whoah really? Does that wipe out all the WFC info already on the new DS?

DDayton

Andrex said:
Whoah really? Does that wipe out all the WFC info already on the new DS?

Yes.

In ANY WFC game, enter the WFC options and there should be a "transfer profile to another DS" option.

If you do this, your "profile" is moved from the current DS to the other DS system. This means that all your DS game carts will now work with the new DS and all online settings are retained. However, it would overwrite any WFC settings on the new DS unit.

DDayton

Andrex said:
Huh. Oh well. Is there a way to find out which DS games are tied to the DS?

All WFC games.

Do you mean which ones are tied to WHICH DS?

If so, just put it in and try to play it - you should get some warning/error/something if you try to play it on the wrong DS, at least before it tries to reset the friend code. At least, that's my understanding - can anyone confirm this?

zigg

I still don't have anyone after gunloc green. Oh well, entering more codes anyway. Have had no time to make anything else though :(

Looks like the design challenge ends early Monday morning. Did everyone enter?

jman2050

zigg said:
I still don't have anyone after gunloc green. Oh well, entering more codes anyway. Have had no time to make anything else though :(

Looks like the design challenge ends early Monday morning. Did everyone enter?

I'm hoping to have something done by tomorrow, though my lack of art skills and the time limit is going to seriously hamper the presentation somewhat

zigg said:
I still don't have anyone after gunloc green.
Hey, you are actually confirmed now zigg. That took a really long time, Nintendo's servers are really wack it seems.

I wonder if people how to both connect to the warehouse within a certain time limit for the confirmation to work. I still have a bunch of people unconfirmed.

Just finished my first real microgame and uploaded it to my friend crate. It took me almost 3 days to create all the sprites, music, and get the AI right so I ended up stealing the background from another game so I could get this uploaded. I hope everyone enjoys it, I worked forever on it. My wife probably wants to kill me. :lol

I've added everyone from the OP, but only Boojoh, Karram, Vagabond, Gunloc, Osuwari, and JesseZao ever green'd for me. Hopefully more people pop up so they can try it out.

Dragmire

I've added everyone in the thread since last time I posted. If I'm not green on your list (either as Dragmire or Moldy), let me know. My friends list is gonna fill up.... There are still some people from earlier that never went green on my list: Celebi21, Redboot, gogojira, Mutagenic and Jay. So if you added me too, I don't know what's going on.

I'm still making games (DIY is all I play lately), but I've been working mostly on a very complex one for the contest. I'll have another up soon. Hopefully tomorrow.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm so bad. Now that I've gotten back into SoulSilver I haven't picked up this game in at least a week... and that includes FCs. I'm usually so good about them too. :(

Dragmire said:
I've added everyone in the thread since last time I posted. If I'm not green on your list (either as Dragmire or Moldy), let me know. My friends list is gonna fill up.... There are still some people from earlier that never went green on my list: Celebi21, Redboot, gogojira, Mutagenic and Jay. So if you added me too, I don't know what's going on.

I don't know what's wrong with this game. I've added 46 friend codes, everyone in this thread, to my game and only 7 have ever turned green. I'm sad because I really worked hard on my microgame and I feel like no one is going to get the chance to play it. =\

Top Bottom