• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

Insaniac

Gunloc said:
I added you Insaniac.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, as it took a while for some active people in this topic to be confirmed on my list. But there are also a lot of people that have only posted their FC in this topic and that's it, I'm not sure they're actively playing the game right now which may be why there are a bunch of unconfirmed.

I like the art style of your game, the machine especially.

You might want to add a sound effect to the pumps to give it a bit more punch.

Added you Gunloc and got on wifi.

Here is a video showcasing my Cops! game and my new Phoenix Wright: Objection! game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8NkJF6whAU

I'm surprised i haven't seen any other phoenix wright games to be honest!
All art was hand draw by myself, took a LONG time.

vlcsnap-2010-04-16-17h13m50s63.png

vlcsnap-2010-04-16-17h14m01s177.png

I solved my second problem I was asking for advice on. I uploaded the resulting game to my warehouse. I worked pretty hard on this one, particularly on Wario's sprite. Two Three more people have turned green for me (Osuwari and JMan (and JesseZao)). I now have my third copy of Wario Quest 2 :lol . Oh, and ElPescado, what happened to the previous background your Darkwing Duck game had? I liked the old one better... Edit: Added more friend codes.

Added Insaniac and jgkspsx. Everyone in the thread is added now and my Friend Roster is full. :/

CoolJeanius, I changed the background because I felt guilty stealing the Metroid background from 9-Volt's game. ^_^;;

Kiwi

I played Insaniac games and liked them both.

Cops, is pretty fun to play. I like the way that the road have cracks and pot holes to give us an idea that we're in a run down neighborhood. The tire streak is a nice touch. I really don't have a lot of complaints about this game. Just one nick-pick issue, I think the bullet HUD counter should be above the police car. The game is difficulty setting matches up to Gunloc "Don't Miss" micro-game.

Phoenix Wright game is pretty clever. Phoenix Wright is drawn well in this game. I really don't have any complaints or criticism, but it's a simple game.

Sorry, my brain is fried from finishing up my next game which is up in my Warehouse. It's called Oil Panic. I redrawn the graphics to make it looks like the original. I used this picture from IGN as reference, since it has all the cells from that game.

game-watch-collection-20081215040942650_640w.jpg

In this game you have to collect 3 oil drips, and dump it out the window to the man holding the bin below to win the game.

Only thing I couldn't do or figure out how to set this game to start up at a random state (I wanted the oil drip from random spot)due to lack of AI, and the complicity nature of this project. I pretty much try to make it match up to the original Game and Watch game. The LCD fire animation, man getting splatted on by oil, and working scoreboard and miss counter.

The music phrase is from Oil Panic Game and Watch Gallery, modern version, because it's one of my favorite Game and Watch music.

There's only one Easter egg in this game, which is quite difficult to find(I think).

I pulled Select Yes off my Warehouse. The Easter eggs in that games are the 2 treasure chests and tapping on the king before making your selection.

jgkspsx

Oil Panic is amazing.

El Pescado turned green for me. Darkwing Duck is cool.

I added a new game, which is actually a game. There may potentially be an input bug - let me know if you run into it. It's rather challenging, but maybe not in a good way. Apologies for my lack of art talent.

Edit: Added Insaniac, too.

zigg

Kiwi: randomness is actually doable; if you go through the lessons in the Advanced Dojo you'll find out how.

It really looks limited at first but there really is a number of neat things you can do by combining objects and studying how everything can fit together.

Kiwi

My shop game have randomization(2 objects to decide item location, 3 objects to decide which item needed to be picked) because that game is a bit easier to randomize. The Game and Watch one is a bit more complicated due to the amount of AI you have available per objects. Most of the objects are filled with AI. I use all the graphic points available. I had to duplicate some objects(buckets, and man holding bin) to get around the limited amount of AI. Now that I think of it, that bucket holding men could help with randomization, since their movement is related to the timeline. I will tinker around with it later and make Game B version of this game.

I added you to my friend list.

El Pescado said:
CoolJeanius, I changed the background because I felt guilty stealing the Metroid background from 9-Volt's game. ^_^;;
Oh yeah, I did notice they were the same... well, I guess if it eases your conscience...

Dragmire

I added a new game to my warehouse yesterday called Ant Picnic. Unfortunately, the last group of people I added like a week ago still aren't registered but I'm adding the newer people right now. :p

zigg

Kiwi said:
My shop game have randomization(2 objects to decide item location, 3 objects to decide which item needed to be picked) because that game is a bit easier to randomize. The Game and Watch one is a bit more complicated due to the amount of AI you have available per objects.

Oh, I see; I misread you. Sorry about that!

MNC

So how do you make something retappable , like shooting multiple bullets or something :I If you get through this in the dojo lessons, I'll do them.

Just got to download Ant Picnic, Cops, Phoenix Wright, and Oil Panic and I'm really impressed with all of them. They'll all see a permanent spot on my WarioWare shelves.

Love the artwork in Ants, Phoenix Wright, and Oil Panic. I'm a huge Phoenix Wright fan and I love the WarioWare rendition of the Objection music.

Oil Panic looks like it has tons of AI work going on in the background. Wish I could view it in the Game Makermatic. I'm really impressed. I hope I can make something that complicated someday.

Cops reminds me of Chase H.Q. Good call limiting the number of bullets you can fire. How did you get that awesome tire mark effect working? Insanely cool looking.

Work is going slow on my own games, but progressing nonetheless. Real life can be such a pain sometimes. I hope to get my next game out within the next few days. I've got tons of game ideas swirling around in my head and I hope you guys enjoy them all when I'm done.

I don't know why, but I really enjoy the Comic Makermatic whenever I'm stressed even though I can't really draw that well.

zigg

MNC said:
So how do you make something retappable , like shooting multiple bullets or something :I If you get through this in the dojo lessons, I'll do them.

I'm not entirely sure how you have your game set up now, but if your problem is that the bullet goes off-screen, set a trigger to have it jump back to its home position when it overlaps a rectangle drawn outside the edge of the screen.

In other news, full friend list, but I can't see friend crates, I keep getting communication errors :/

zigg

Allright, I have new friends at last! Maybe they clear the queue every so often. Probably on to something with the "connect at the same time" thing.

I re-put-up some older games because they might have been missed first time around. If I'm lucky I'll get to some new ones soon... :D

Dragmire

Thanks, El Pescado. I have another new game up. It's pretty basic because I got tired of finding complex ways to exploit the AI and just wanted to mess with some different kinds of art and stuff.

Insaniac

I entered the Kotaku DiY contest with this entry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8-wnEbRx0

I put a little NeoGAF representation in there :)

MNC said:

You'll need multiple objects depending on how many times you'll allow the player to fire at once, for example you'll need 3 objects if you want to let them fire three bullets at a time.

Just finished my 2nd game. I botched it just about every step of the way, but I uploaded it to my store anyway.

It's a Metal Gear themed game where you have to sneak past the Genome Soldier while he's sleeping. I couldn't get Snake's walking animation to play right and the background is just as bad as the one in my first game, but I hope you guys like it anyway.

Chairhome

Shantae themed mini-game up on Big Name Games today.

I tried connecting to "Friend Crates" this morning and it gave me an error :-/

zigg

Chairhome said:
Shantae themed mini-game up on Big Name Games today.

Yeah, I tried it this morning after exercising, it's hard (or I'm just incompetent...) Creative, though!

I personally would have added a second tree to the right to allow for a retry.

Chairhome said:
I tried connecting to "Friend Crates" this morning and it gave me an error :-/

Yeah, I was getting that last night quite a bit, but it cleared up later. Try again in a bit, I guess...

jgkspsx

zigg and Insaniac finally showed up. I'm remembering why I don't usually bother with WFC friends, but the hassle is more than worthwhile for this. zigg's operation game is awesome, as is Insaniac's Cops!

Shantae is pretty cool, and the new 9voltesque Nintendo microgame is awesome.

I finally turned Perfect Sunset into a real game. I won't spoil the differences. It's somewhat complex - I only have about 30 design points left.

NeonZ

I was really surprised with the last Nintendo update for the weekly games. I thought they wouldn't put up 9-Volt type games in the weekly games section, but I was pleasantly surprised by that Mario one. :D

RobbieNick

NeonZ said:
I was really surprised with the last Nintendo update for the weekly games. I thought they wouldn't put up 9-Volt type games in the weekly games section, but I was pleasantly surprised by that Mario one. :D

That's a tricky one too. Only got the one up once. Half the time, I miss it cuz I can't move.

Matt Bozon's Shante one was good too.

jgkspsx

The Mario one gets easy fast.

I updated Xprs Yrslf with actual feedback on what button is active. I was trying to be cute with the button style, but they look pretty out of place. I'll probably change them back to black and white later.

Edit: Done. I also gave the face a nose job.

After watching the video of Matt Bozon making his game, it was cool to see that he did prototyping because I did that with my Wario Land game, too.

IceMarker

I just added everyone below my name in the OP list including ElPescado.

Hope you enjoy the game I forgot to upload yesterday.

So far 6 of 7 games I've made have been uploaded to the warehouse. If I reach a Monday where I don't have any new games, I will recycle old ones for those who missed them.

jgkspsx

Uploaded a brand new game with Classical influences. I made a bunch of difficulty tweaks, but it seems uneven.

Pesca, I used your genome soldier as a dummy enemy and thought the effect was so funny I kept it. Let me know if you want me to remove it.

if anybody wants to edit any of my games, feel free.

I'm curious what people think of the dynamic background in the final version of Perfect Sunset.

RobbieNick

Can anyone help me on a game I'm making?

It's a soccer game where Wario is the goalie and your kicking the soccerball as Mario. Wario dodges leftand right real fast while Mario goes left and right at a normal speed. The goal right now is to kick the ball into the net to win. Right now, that part works.

What doesn't work is that if the ball touches Wario, he catches it and it's a loss. That part I can't seem to get to work right. I just tap the ball and it goes into the net by passing Wario completely. Also, I want to be able to shoot out the ball by tapping Mario. Right now, It will only do it by touching the ball, so I have to have the ball visible.

Can anyone help me on this?

Chairhome

RobbieNick said:
Can anyone help me on a game I'm making?

It's a soccer game where Wario is the goalie and your kicking the soccerball as Mario. Wario dodges leftand right real fast while Mario goes left and right at a normal speed. The goal right now is to kick the ball into the net to win. Right now, that part works.

What doesn't work is that if the ball touches Wario, he catches it and it's a loss. That part I can't seem to get to work right. I just tap the ball and it goes into the net by passing Wario completely. Also, I want to be able to shoot out the ball by tapping Mario. Right now, It will only do it by touching the ball, so I have to have the ball visible.

Can anyone help me on this?
Did you do the Dojo? It helps a lot.

Its hard to understand what the problem is, but from what I can gather, you need to an action on the ball: when BALL touches WARIO, TRAVEL=>STOP. and add the action "LOSE".

Also have a switch on Mario so when you tap him, the switch turns on. then have an action on the ball to travel when Mario's switch is on.

More people turned green for me. Ask if you want feedback. Liking the new Ninsoft downloads, too. I uploaded a new version of my Wario Land game, mainly just to fix it so you can't perform a second body slam after you've already won.

I finished my first microgame today. It's a Scribblenauts theme from the first Puzzle level. You have to wait for when the Cook, Cop and Firefighter give you a signal then tap on the corresponding item.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCV1oKXrLZI

My FC: 1076 3488 1080

I can't wait to play some of the games on here, they look great!

EDIT: So far I've added...
El Pescado
n8bit
Insaniac
jgkspsx (already green, thanks)
Kiwi
beelzebozo
ChairHome
BooJoh
WiiRevolution

I'll add more later

jgkspsx

cooljeanius said:
More people turned green for me. Ask if you want feedback. Liking the new Ninsoft downloads, too. I uploaded a new version of my Wario Land game, mainly just to fix it so you can't perform a second body slam after you've already won.
I sure would like feedback, but you're not green for me. I've left the stupid thing on WFC for most of the last 24 hours. WFC is so unbelievably awful. I feel like we're using tin can telephone modems or something.

I only have:
Kiwi
Gunloc
ElPescado
zigg and
Insaniac green.

I guess I'll triple check that the IDs are right.

IceMarker

I wonder if Jackson will make a micro-game for the Big Name games. If not I'd like him to purchase D.I.Y. and make some games and post his FC here. ;)

Kiwi

I think the idea that you input the friend code, then go on WFC and go into your friend's crate(So it would upload/update it to the server). Log off. Then let the person(via PM or post) you added know that you inputted the friend code and give them a code to enter. They enter it and then go on WFC. I got Insaniac green right away when I PM'd him. I just, replace those that I added to the list from the OP, who are gray and most likely won't turn green because they haven't participated in this thread for awhile. I just replaced one gray person to add Caddywompus to my list, since he's active on this thread and might input my code into his friend's list. I just went on WFC, so the server know that the friend's list have been changed. The next time that Caddywompus goes online with my friend code added, he should be able to access my stuff.

I like the Xprs Yrslf mini game that you did. I preferred the one with the color button and that mouth fit so well with this creature. It is so satisfying when you manage to maneuver the mouth to the correct spot. I think you could flash the mouth red at the beginning of the minigame to give off it's location quickly. I preferred the colored button. PerfctSunset game, I like. I love it when I have the ability to destroy the sun, whenever I feel like it. Penelope, I love that father's expression on his face.

Metal Gear by Pesca I played the version with the dithered wall and floor, and the current version. The current version is much better than the old version because the visual is more clear. I love the sprite work.

I will comment more later I gotta get some sleep.

randomkid

Well, I added a few of the new names and so I just connected and got kiwi and jgks to show up. The only other names I've got that are green are pesca, gunloc, jesse and boojoh. All your games are great by the way. I feel embarrassed about my dumb pointless offering, heh. One question, is that #shipped figure in your warehouse crate really how many people have downloaded your microgame? How is it possible that it's at 10 for me when I have less friends than that number?

I also downloaded the Wiiware game and had a bunch of fun playing through those games, they're really quite excellent and overall I think I like the collection there even more than the ones included in the DS game. The one with the robot springing to freedom is my favorite I think, the music in that one is fantastic. It's probably useless to post my Wii code though right? Since I imagine everyone who has the Wii version has the DS one.

Kiwi

randomkid said:
One question, is that #shipped figure in your warehouse crate really how many people have downloaded your microgame? How is it possible that it's at 10 for me when I have less friends than that number?
a person may have downloaded the games more than one time.

jgkspsx

Kiwi said:
I like the Xprs Yrslf mini game that you did. I preferred the one with the color button and that mouth fit so well with this creature. It is so satisfying when you manage to maneuver the mouth to the correct spot. I think you could flash the mouth red at the beginning of the minigame to give off it's location quickly. I preferred the colored button. PerfctSunset game, I like. I love it when I have the ability to destroy the sun, whenever I feel like it. Penelope, I love that father's expression on his face.

Thanks! I don't think I changed the mouth, just the nose. I have an older version around, and did keep the color buttons in the game, just disabled the artwork. Flashing the mouth red sounds like a good idea.

The guy in black in "Penelope" isn't her dad, he's just been away on an odyssey for a while... ;)

randomkid and Caddywompus both showed up. I liked the black humor of "Safe Flight." Caddy's art is really well done - the scribblenaut characters are dead on and the perspective in the other game is neat. Interesting games, too.

JesseZao

Just added the last 5 people. I only have 7 confirmed out of 50 so far.

Still working on a new game, just making the triggers too complicated I think. should be done this weekend.

zigg

I haven't had time for this lately but I just wanted to let everyone know that I put Galactastic and Binary Count (tech demo) back into my stock.

Also, my shelves are full, my Roster is full, I'm going to need to spend a good half-hour pruning both soon!

Added Caddywompus.

Has anybody else downloaded both versions of my Metal Gear game? I'm pretty sure it looks better with the solid walls and floor, but I also feel like it's a little too bland a background...

Kiwi

I think you can take some bg tile artwork from Metal Gear and hold R+Solid Rectangle the custom paintbrush it into this bg, Holding R will snap to the green grid.

jgkspsx

Inspired by BlueGriffin's bouncing ball, I added a new Metroid-themed game. I wish there were a way to increase the sprite size for an existing sprite, or to copy to a new size and keep the AI.

Top Bottom