• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

Luigison

Gunloc said:
Tried your "Dawg Hunt" game Luigison. I liked your faithfulness to the graphics and I enjoyed taking revenge on that dog. (I've always hated him. XD )

It might be nice to have a graphic to show when the dog is hit, but I see you are low on points.
Thanks. I wanted to change the dog's image when hit, but that wasn't possible with such a big graphic and so few points remaining. I used the hit counter (bottom left like the ducks and bullets in Duck Hunt) instead, but now realize I got one of the bones out of order. I also want to make the dogs appear at random locations, but simply didn't have time before bed last night to try it. I might could combine the grass and dog sprites, but that would eliminate making them appear randomly behind the grass. BTW, most of the graphics came from the Wii version.

Edit: I changed Dawg Hunt to now have the dogs pop up from random locations behind the grass. I couldn't find a way to add an art change if the dogs were missed though.
Edit 2: I added a flash when you tap now. I think that's about all I can do with this one.

jgkspsx

Dawg Hunt is pretty cool.

Digital Daze is cool, but way too limited. I'd like to see if I could add a few more possibilities.

I've left my DS connected to WFC for most of the last week, but I'll keep doing so until I pick up the other active people, I guess. Are cooljeanius and BooJoh the only other active developers?

Dragmire

I've been putting up games about once a week. I actually forgot to post about my last one I put up a couple days ago, called Lostronaut. It has a lot of randomized behaviors and objects. Most people on my list, other than a few (including Luigison and I think DavidDayton and maybe a couple others), don't seem to use the game anymore. :p

I feel like I'm giving away ideas for future contests, though... I actually spend a ton of time on my games because I want to have a stable of really good ones. And there's a couple I never uploaded because I was afraid people would steal or copy them.

Hi everyone, I haven't posted anything in a while (been too busy lately) but I've just finished making a new game and a comic! (I made the game for the theme contest)

Both are now in my warehouse, hope you like em'! :D

With the game I really wanted to have simple and fun gameplay but with silly objects coming at the player that would just make them laugh :lol

jgkspsx

You know, I personally don't see the logic behind, "But I'm giving ideas away!" The only value this game has is in sharing information and discussing techniques, which is the only reason I've put up with this awful, awfuul WFC system. But, hey, if it makes you happy...

I kind of feel that I'm getting close to maximum complexity for these games. I'd like to try a boss game, though.

I'd like to say that I'm still active as a "developer," I've just been really busy with work and stuff. My wife and I are in the middle of buying a new house and free time has become quite the luxury.

zigg

jgkspsx said:
You know, I personally don't see the logic behind, "But I'm giving ideas away!" The only value this game has is in sharing information and discussing techniques...

Some people just feel that way, I guess. It's their right, in the end. I personally prefer to go the sharing route, leaving the code and such wide open, even if it turns out I don't have all that much to offer. :)

I'm kind of an active developer. I'm still making games, but I don't always have access to DS-compatible wi-fi to upload them though. That might be why it's taking longer for me to turn green for some people.

Luigison

In my Dawg Hunt game do you guys think it's better as is with three random dogs to hit and flashing the screen with taps or if I only put one dog to hit, but add an animation if he's hit. In both cases I could keep the dog bone hit counter. The problem is I only have 2pts left and each dog animation requires 9pts.

Luigison said:
In my Dawg Hunt game do you guys think it's better as is with three random dogs to hit and flashing the screen with taps or if I only put one dog to hit, but add an animation if he's hit. In both cases I could keep the dog bone hit counter. The problem is I only have 2pts left and each dog animation requires 9pts.

Could you attach the smallest cell to the dog and have it change once you tapped it?

I entered the sports contest, I'll post my entry later tonight.

I added Nuclear Muffin, zigg and Dragmire too

jgkspsx

jgkspsx said:
I've left my DS connected to WFC for most of the last week, but I'll keep doing so until I pick up the other active people, I guess. Are cooljeanius and BooJoh the only other active developers?
Oops, by "other" I meant "that I am not yet connected to." Which was clear as mud, sorry.

Anyway, a one-dog Dawg Hunt sounds worth trying. Ultimately, it's not very different, right? In the current game, I think I've only really seen one "active" dog on screen at a time.

How about having three animations - one "normal" (laughing), one "hit" (flashing red?), and one defeated (crosses on the eyes, dropping, etc.)?

I don't approve of animal cruelty, but I shot that dog in vain many times in Duck Hunt...

Since I have a couple of pretty good Joust sprites my next game is going to use them (along with a few more) for actual combat!!

I took down Ship Shape and I put up my entry for the sports theme contest, Net Game. It's probably the easiest of all my games, but I think it's the most polished graphics wise.

I'm a little pissed at myself because I submitted it to the contest while overlooking one small graphical blemish. It doesn't affect the game play, but it looks better to me after I fixed it. They should really let you resubmit games, but I could tweak my games for hours given the opportunity, so I'd be resubmitting all the time.

Give it a try and let me know what you think, feedback is more than welcome. It's probably my favorite of the three games I've made.

Try to shoot the ball between his hands for a little easter egg. You can't beat the game that way, but I almost overlooked it completely at first until I randomly happened upon that situation. It's now programmed into the game with the logical outcome.

Ya, I agree we should be able to resubmit to contest. I noticed after I sent my toilet micro-game that I left a loose command off the basketball. If you pick any other ball besides the bowling ball you loose. No big deal, doesn't really effect the game at all but it would have been nice to correct it. But hey they are just holding us to the same standards as other publishers, right.

The graphics are nice on your latest micro-game Gunloc. It took me like 15 tries to hit the guy in the face but I finally got it to work. I think a little nose bleed or black eye would be a nice effect if possible.

Thanks for the feedback.

I spent so much time on the graphics for the game, I grew attached to the character, so I don't think I want to see any bloodshed. XD

jgkspsx

Gunloc said:
Try to shoot the ball between his hands for a little easter egg. You can't beat the game that way, but I almost overlooked it completely at first until I randomly happened upon that situation. It's now programmed into the game with the logical outcome.
The graphics are great! The easter egg is funny, but I was only able to make it happen on the left side - time after time, on the right side, he caught it. It seems a little easy to me, but I think my games tend towards the hard side.

Speaking of which... I put a new skin on JoustPong for the design challenge. Not sure if that was a good decision, but oh well.

I also put up a new game, a stealth-based game. It's probably my favorite of all of mine as far as gameplay goes. There are occasionally situations where it seems impossible to win, but I've managed to reduce their frequency to about once in twenty plays. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the feedback, I intentionally made Net Game a bit on the easy side because I think Nintendo wants the games to be more accessible to everyone. I still think it's challenging enough, especially ay higher speeds. It also didn't make much sense to make the goalie move any faster since he's in the water, so that's why I kept the speed at it's current setting.

I tried your GuardinEatin game, which I think is the stealth game you were referring to. The concept is interesting, it feels very "The Prisoner" to me. Your character blends in with the background a lot, but that might have been your intention.

The new Weekly and Big Name Games are up. I like Multi-Fly, but Sink Whole is kind of blah. The BNG Fly Home is great though, it's by one of the guys from 5th Cell and I think he did an excellent job.

Uploaded some new games today. I made an improved version of Ron Carmel's game and the game that resulted from trying to do circular motion. Would have entered the contest, but they changed the theme already… I'll upload the game I did for that later anyway. Also shipped some music and comics. David Dayton has turned green for me. Jgkspsx might have, too, but he might have already been green…

edit: some of you guys won the machines contest!

Congrats to all the gaffers who were chosen for the machines theme collection. Your entries really stand out too, some of the other selections are awful.

Congrats guys! That's awesome. I wondered how many they were going to choose. I figured like one or two and a couple of runner ups but it looks like they choose just about all the ones they liked in one way or another. And I was just about to ask where you guys found the winners but then I went to go DL 5th Cell's game. Now I gotta go make room to try out all the winners.

EDIT: I also got The Showcase. Where is that FC located or do I just give the Wii's main FC?

RobbieNick

Wow!!! With the contest entry's, a lot of games to choose from today. My crates are almost full. I had to reject a lot of them.

I decided my next game would be based off of Freeway. The old, 2600 game by Activision.

RobbieNick said:
Wow!!! With the contest entry's, a lot of games to choose from today. My crates are almost full. I had to reject a lot of them.
My shelves are completely full, too. I can't bring myself to delete any of the old ones. They should have made a DSi enhancement to let you save microgames to an SD card. I guess I'll just have to get Showcase or a second copy for future DLC...

Lijik

Bah I forgot I accidentally submitted an earlier version of Bink to the contest. Theres an immensely annoying glitch in that version among other minor things that were tweaked.

Dragmire

I put a new game up in my warehouse a little bit ago. It's my first videogame-themed one that I used stamps for, which I try not to do because I like drawing my own stuff. But it fit my idea more with the Mario stamps than if I drew it myself. And strangely, a handful of people I registered ages ago (and someone I registered tonight) turned green. I think I've added everyone from the thread and I'm leaving my DS online and plugged in for a while in case anyone connects. Don't know if that helps, but just in case. A lot of people don't seem to make or post games anymore, but I do it pretty consistently because I love creative stuff like that and finding new or funny things to do.

A lot of those contest entries that I tried were very good. It seems like every time they post contest winners, it'll breathe new life into the game. And I had no idea they would post so many. Of course, my shelves are almost full, too...

jgkspsx, your GuardinEatin game is very clever. Jman, that's a good idea, I like it (Pump it Up).

RobbieNick

I'm about the middle of working on Freeway. Got the chicken and the cars ready to go, but I think I need to re draw my highway, and the up, down and stop icons are too small. Also, I'm adding a bloody splat if the chicken gets hit.

One problem I have is controling the chicken. I can go up, down, and stop, but I can only do this once. I think I know why though. When I tap on one to switch them on, I have to add that it switches off the other two. That should fix it.

Now I gotta figure out how to make a car go from one side to the next, and re-appear back where they started.

Had some free time and banged out another microgame. This one probably look me about 3 hours and it's another Metal Gear based game. It's the first game I made with a longer time limit. I'm still not happy with my background art and I've got an idea to fix that, but since the game was already finished I figured I'd upload what I had and get some opinions. Let me know whatyou guys think.

Finally got around to listening to some of the music people posted, and DavidDayton, I think you forgot to move the finish line marker in your medleys...

RobbieNick

Just finished Freeway. The whole "Up, stop, down" thing wasn't working, so I dropped the number of cars on the road to 3, and made it so if you tap the screen he goes running till he crosses. If he gets hit, SPLAT!:D

Freeway is pretty good. When trying it out for the first time i must have gotten lucky cause in the blender I'm over thinking when to dash across the road. I recreates that tension of "should I go now? damn should of"

I might post my creature entry to get some feedback on it before I submit it.

I just added Lijik

Also have Chairhome, zigg, cooljeanius and Dragmire added but not green yet. Trying to keep the most active users on my roster, hopefully Nintendo will keep the contests running to maintain the content. Though I'd run out of room pretty quick even with the showcase.

seady

I feel that the recent Warioware games lack the intuitive-ness of the earlier games.
In earlier games, I can usually figure out what the heck is going on in the 5 seconds time frame of each puzzle. But now, especially with this game, i often become clueless and tap or point (Wii) and click randomly and still nothing happens.

RobbieNick

Caddywompus said:
Freeway is pretty good. When trying it out for the first time i must have gotten lucky cause in the blender I'm over thinking when to dash across the road. I recreates that tension of "should I go now? damn should of"

Thanks for the positive response! I worked hard on that one. I just finished my quickest one yet. Staring contest. Do nothing and you win! XD Took me a half-hour.

jgkspsx

A bunch of people went green for me when my DS was off. Huh.

The amount of talent on GAF is really impressive as ever. Freeway is really cool, though it would be nice if you could tap again to stop. (You could also work on Bloody Human Freeway ;) Lostronaut is awesome - the various space junk is hilarious. The earth-smasher game is very impressive - I really wish they included a circular motion type. VR Missions is a lot of fun - though those boxes sure look like the GC logo... Infinite Powerup Block is awesome :lol

I played the Wii version some more. Unfortunately, most of my games are a crappy experience on the Wii. I wish for "tap anywhere on screen" it just allowed you to hit the A button without pointing. Hey, at least there's another reason for the Zapper to exist!

zigg

If you guys prune the actual inactive players, is there still not enough room on your rosters? I really have not had the time lately to do this game and don't see myself doing so in the future. You can drop me if your rosters are feeling crowded, or if I've never turned green in the first place :)

So I decided to go ahead and enter my game in the contest even though it's one theme too late. It's called "Sports Gamer" and is available in my warehouse. I also posted a revision of the first game I made, "Shower Time," in my warehouse, too. dragmire turned green for me, but I only downloaded his music and comic now that all my game shelves are full and don't want to delete any.

jgkspsx

My shelves are completely full up now with cooljeanius's. Sports Gamer is funny, and too true...

For those who missed them, I uploaded Perfect Sunset and Joustboard (which I find the most fun of all of mine). Bee Ball was a reskin of JoustPong anyway, so you didn't miss much. I'll put up Xprs Yrslf, Penelope, and Samus GET sometime.

I haven't started on a new one yet, but I have two in mind. I'd like to do a Kururin knockoff, but I have no idea how it would control or whether it would be fun.

Edit: BTW, I think Braking News is a poor imitation of my Joustboard game. Even if it does date back to either Mega Microgame$ or Touched!...

Shiggy

Just got it today for 15 Euro, would anyone like to add me?

4254-6575-7394

I would love to play some of your games ;)

Jazzem

Have added Shiggy and jgkspsx :) My code is 3782 1939 4197. Have had a blast with this game, the creation tools are awesome and easy to slip into, speaking as someone who's toyed around with Game Maker/lite programming before.

Shiggy

Jazzem said:
Have added Shiggy and jgkspsx :) My code is 3782 1939 4197. Have had a blast with this game, the creation tools are awesome and easy to slip into, speaking as someone who's toyed around with Game Maker/lite programming before.

Let's see how long it will take :)

Edit: Wow, that was fast. I like your fireball game :)

Jazzem

Seems to have registered us now :) Cool Mario game you have there, though you might want to make the instruction a bit clearer (maybe "Stomp!) and give the player the option to jump more than once. Very good for a first game though!

EDIT: Just grabbed Showcase as well. Nice little addition, though I thought you'd be able to permanently upload the games online ala in the DS version...

Shiggy

Just tried doing a dotstream minigame. Didn't know how to animate the lines when going up and down, so it is only about overtaking a different line with pressing the turbo button. :/

Chairhome

Sorry I haven't been updating the OP. Haven't had time to play, either. I can voluntarily remove myself for now. If anyone has an update of who else has volunteered to be removed, let me know. I'll add Shiggy and Jazzem to the OP, let me know if I missed anyone else.

jgkspsx said:
Edit: BTW, I think Braking News is a poor imitation of my Joustboard game. Even if it does date back to either Mega Microgame$ or Touched!...

When I tried that game out, first thing I thought of was I've already got one of these.

I added Shiggy and Jazzem btw.

Dragmire

jgkspsx said:
I added you guys.

Holy cow, MoldyWare's Wolf Chase is a graphical adventure game! Awesome!
Thanks. :) I was just about post about it. I liked your new games, too. The Joust one is awesome. Not sure how you did it exactly.

Added the new people.

[edit] Just updated Wolf Chase with lots of little fixes. I wish more people were still into this game.

Added Shiggy & Jazzem. I removed Chairhome since he said we could but I had to remove another unconfirmed person, so if I removed you and you want me to re-add, just let me know.

I took down Lab Partners and put Ship Shape back up in my Warehouse. (I submitted Ship Shape for the newest theme contest.)

Also, I've got a question for anyone that has the PAL version of WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase. (The WiiWare game.) Does your version have the Tingle microgame and the Card Hero microgame in 18 Volt's stage? I know those were replaced in the North American version, but since Tingle came out in the PAL regions they may have left it in with the Card Hero game.

Top Bottom