• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

Chairhome

tumblr_kune3hFJCW1qzpbds-vi.jpg

Developers: Nintendo SPD Group No.1
Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
Designer: Goro Abe
Platform: Nintendo DS

Release dates:
JP April 29, 2009
NA March 28, 2010
EU April 30, 2010
AUS TBA

Summary:
Wikipedia said:
WarioWare D.I.Y. allows players to design their own microgames, creating their own graphics, music and designing a 'cassette' for them. The game features three sections in its main menu: My House, where the player designs microgames, WarioWare, the tutorial, and My Shop, where the player makes microgame cassettes. Due to its cross-compatibility with the Wii, the gameplay is restricted to tapping mechanics. When creating the music, the player can sing through the DS's microphone, which the DS then converts into notes. These notes can then be performed by various instruments such as pig noises, similar to music creation in Mario Paint.

Players can send their creations to other D.I.Y. owners or receive other people's works. They can also be uploaded to Nintendo Wi-Fi connection for contest purposes. Microgames made available by Nintendo can be downloaded, too. Additionally, the WiiWare game WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase, known in Japan as Asobu Made in Ore, allows users to play the microgames on the Wii with the Wii remote's pointer.

Aside from the user-generated microgames, WarioWare D.I.Y. includes over 90 pre-made microgames featuring the characters Mona, Jimmy T., Ashley, Orbulon, and 9-Volt. WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase includes 72 different pre-made microgames featuring Wario-Man, Dribble & Spitz, Kat & Ana, and 18-Volt. Each character has microgames set to certain themes, similar to WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!.

Also available soon: WiiWare's Wario Ware DIY Showcase, where you can transfer your games onto the wii.

Game Creation Tutorials:
[1] [2] [3] [4]

Advanced [1] [2] [3]

Famous Game Developers make their own microgames
PR said:
Some of the video game industry’s brightest talents are contributing to a unique series of microgames for the upcoming WarioWare™: D.I.Y. game for the Nintendo DS™ family of products and the downloadable WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase game for the WiiWare™ service.

Starting March 29, consumers who own either of the games and have a broadband Internet connection will be able to download microgames created by several acclaimed developers, each of whom has been invited to create an original microgame using Nintendo’s new WarioWare: D.I.Y. game. New microgames by the developers listed below and many others will be available for download under the “Big Name Games” banner every Monday through July 26, at no additional cost to users with broadband Internet access.

The list of “Big Name Games” participants reads like a roster of gaming all-stars. Pixel aka Daisuke Amaya (Cave Story), 5TH Cell (Scribblenauts), WayForward (A Boy and his Blob), Gaijin Games (BIT.TRIP series) and Team Meat (Super Meat Boy) will be featured in the weekly series. To kick things off in grand style, Nintendo will debut new games by Japanese designers Masahiro Sakurai (Super Smash Bros. ™) and Yoshio Sakamoto (Metroid™) on March 29. Fans can also visit the Nintendo Channel on the Wii™ console to view exclusive videos and behind-the-scenes peeks of some of these remarkable games. The first video, featuring Masahiro Sakurai, is now available on the Nintendo Channel.
Developer Videos:
Masahiro Sakurai's Line Slash

Iwata Asks:
WarioWare DIY

BooJoh said:
Some more info about WarioWare DIY Showcase on WiiWare:

-800 points
-72 games included
-can download more games
-transfer your games, music, or comics from DS to Wii
-can act as extra storage for your own games
-unlockable multiplayer mode

Release date on the official site says March 28th, but the press site says March 29th, which seems more likely.

http://us.wii.com/wiiware/diyshowcase/

EDIT: Contest info is up now too. http://www.wariowarediy.com/thewarios/

Share your creations!
Friend Codes:
WiiRevolution1 - 2321-8540-1580
InfectedZero - 2150-0561-1850
ChairHome - 1505-8111-0474
BooJoh - 0732 7169 2387
Why would you do that? - 3009 0499 5051
Ironballs - 0475 0187 2356
Celebi21 - 0389-1195-7210
DavidDayton - 5457 1796 8441
StormWatch - 3137 8994 9977
RedBoot - 4512 2878 9684
Dookins - 1248-1135-9608
ghostmind - 0775 6676 0015
zigg - 1334-0122-1141
n8BitMan - 2193 0069 9461
Mikman - 1033-3642-2689
Gogojira - 5242-4344-1701
Andrex - 0475-0207-5312
darkressurection - 2364-8063-8025
dragmire - 5285 3824 2212
guerragames - 3739 1902 6618
mutagenic - 0260 2709 1079
Luigison - 0389 1212 6448
Len1978 - 4941-7850-0627
Karram - 2837 2524 4678
Lijik - 3910 9960 1678
Lord Helmet - 2193-0091-5453
Lennylightspeed - 0217 3210 4253
vagabondarts - 4168-6967-7172
gunloc - 1505-8113-0213
Nuclear Muffin - 2450 7099 9220
beelzebozo - 1591 7180 0513
Osuwari - 2493 6603 4538
Deku - 0174 3801 9588
Pizza Luigi - 2021 2173 5153
Outtrigger888 - 2880-2134-4285
MrMister - 1505 8030 5911
JesseZao - 3223-8118-6360 New FC, see below
ElPescado - 4598 1980 6742
delleps - 1720 5644 7973
BlueGriffin - 2193 0112 6997
randomkid - 3825 0952 5981
cooljeanius - 3696 2642 6625
dbot - 1376 9822 8608
JMan - 2450-7227-4401
Vyse The Legend - 0904 5372 6848
JesseZao - 5328-3536-8369
The_Technomancer - 0947 4749 8143
Kiwi - 3309 7225 1154
jgkspsx - 2107 1112 0063
Insaniac - 5414-2521-2453
Caddywompus - 1076 3488 1080
RobbieNick - 3953-9775-1303
Shiggy - 4254-6575-7394
Jazzem - 3782 1939 4197

Be sure to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi after adding someone.

Wii FC's (WarioWare DIY Showcase)
Luigison - 4893 4649 9600 3720
WiiRevolution1 - 7489-8712-0873-4606
Nuclear Muffin - 8305 6414 9274 6128
Celebi23 - 6701-0825-1315-3581
Guerragames - 7496 3971 7660 4320
TunaLover - 8859-5985-5642-2131
NeonZ - 7173 3305 0836 0214
billysea - 0562 9042 3234 9263
DavidDayton - 2878 6587 9343 0860
TunaLover - 8859-5985-5642-2131
Deku - 4013 1660 4961 8640
Osuwari - 2210 6606 1724 4636
Kiwi - 5179 3272 8179 8881
jgkspsx - 6484 4998 9537 7537

Balb

I love WarioWare but this doesn't seem like my kind of game.

It's cool that you can use tons of assets including the 9-volt Nintendo ones and use Mario Paint style music, but the creation still seems pretty limited to me.

Chairhome

The Lamonster said:
I do-it-myself almost every day!

jk...this does sound pretty awesome. Is it going to be full price ($50)?
Its a DS game, I think the MSRP is $34.99

Gomu Gomu said:
Can't wait for all the crazy youtube videos that comes out of this :D.

Good job on the OP btw.
Thanks, its minimal, but I figured I'd just put the basic info for those that didn't know. If I have more time tonight, I'll add more links. I've only seen one review (joystiq) which was pretty positive, so I'm looking forward to picking this up on Sunday.

Balb said:

It's cool that you can use tons of assets including the 9-volt Nintendo ones and use Mario Paint style music, but the creation still seems pretty limited to me.
I agree that its probably not for everyone. I enjoy making silly things like this, although it sounds like the average time to make a game is around 2 hours for a 5 second game, haha. There are 90 included games, but I don't think there's an actual progression ladder. I am excited for the developer made games that will be released weekly, however.

Oh wow I had no idea this was coming out so soon! I love the WarioWare series and this might just be the best one yet, provided my imagination doesn't fail me.

Chairhome

ahoyhoy said:
First I actually heard of this game. Looks interesting.

Why is it releasing on Sunday though?
Many Nintendo releases happen on Sundays. I think Pokemon came out on a Sunday, right?

Chairhome

Scuba Steve said:
Wii version or DS version?
Are you asking which one to get? Which one this thread is about?

I posted specifically about the DS version, cause its the only one you can actually make games with. There are 72 microgames included in the Wii version, and you can play your DS creations (or other people's creations) on the Wii version. I'm guessing that the Wii version will come out this Monday as well.

OMG Aero

Balb said:

Yeah. Every single mini-game I have seen made for this game have all been variations of "Tap here with the stylus". If it weren't for the graphics, almost all the mini-games I have seen would be identical.

Due to its cross-compatibility with the Wii, the gameplay is restricted to tapping mechanics.

I don't understand why tap+drag couldn't be replicated on the Wii just fine. It would've vastly improved the minigame development options.

BooJoh

Two things people might want to know:

1) Last I checked, this game was in Club Nintendo's "Intend to Buy" list.

2) If you go to the website, you'll see a banner that says "Wario Wants You! Coming Soon!"

2z8yo07.png

Previously, this was a link to information about a contest. The details of the contest were to design your own microgame, and the grand prize was a trip for two to NOA's E3 presentation this year.

Now I need to go watch 40 year old Virgin again.

I want this game, but usually I have to leave it up to the creative peeps to make good mini games. :lol

Harpuia

Huelen would've probably made this thread. :lol I like the WarioWare games..though my imagination is pretty dry when it comes to this kind of stuff.

This game is weird to me.

1, I love Waioware. However, this sounds really limited with the input you can do.
2, I love making games, music, and the graphics to go along with it.
3, I love user-created content.

I will love to get this game, but with a different mindset from the original. This thing has a really cool music editor, and I would love to play around with that as well.

To the person asking if you could replicate all of Touched!'s minigames... They said that you could replicate most of Wario's minigames from Touched!. Wario's minigames only use the stylus, so it makes sense.

If you think that sounds limited, think of the first Warioware which only used 1 button and a D-pad. If you make games with that mindset, you might feel like there can be a lot more variety than what you thought before.

celebi23

Why would you do that? said:
This game is weird to me.

1, I love Waioware. However, this sounds really limited with the input you can do.
2, I love making games, music, and the graphics to go along with it.
3, I love user-created content.

I will love to get this game, but with a different mindset from the original. This thing has a really cool music editor, and I would love to play around with that as well.

To the person asking if you could replicate all of Touched!'s minigames... They said that you could replicate most of Wario's minigames from Touched!. Wario's minigames only use the stylus, so it makes sense.

If you think that sounds limited, think of the first Warioware which only used 1 button and a D-pad. If you make games with that mindset, you might feel like there can be a lot more variety than what you thought before.

Exactly. My roomate imported the Japanese version (he's fluent in Japanese). He walked me through the creation process & it's quite robust. I managed to create a a huge chunk of (what will be) a pretty awesome minigame. I was only able to create the graphics though :lol I wonder, can the Japanese version trade the game (I made it so it can be imported into the creation tool & be edited) the US version? If not, I could just recreate it :lol

BooJoh

I think what a lot of people don't see about this game is this:

Since the release of DS in 2004, people have been begging for Mario Paint DS.

b4w57n.png

WarioWare DIY is basically WarioWare + Mario Paint DS, but instead of making animations out of your pictures, you make games.

This is one of my most anticipated DS games so far. I was really close to importing, but knew the language barrier would kill the experience for me.

celebi23

Osuwari said:
undecided about getting this but i might buy it just for the stuff you could get from WFC/forums.

When I borrowed my roomate's Japanese copy, some of the stuff I downloaded from WFC was pretty mindblowing. I saw a remake of metal gear, the Death Start trench run from Star Wars, and various other video game/movie/tv, etc, parodies :lol What's amazing is that Nintendo has been working on this game since before the DS was the DS

Iwata said:
The "Iris" Abe-san mentioned isn't widely known, so I will explain.

Iris was the code name of a next-generation device we were exploring to succeed Game Boy Advance-in other words, before development of the Nintendo DS system. Eventually, it became a two-screen device with the code name Nitro, which went out into the world as Nintendo DS.

So, broadly speaking, Iris was the foundation for Nintendo DS. You might say that Abe-san carried out his original objectives across five and a half years.

Iwata Asks: WarioWare: D.I.Y.
http://nintendods.com/iwata-asks-chapter.jsp?interviewId=5&volumeId=1&chapterId=1

Might want to include that link in the OP, Chairhome

I wonder if there will be a nice, easy way for all of us to swap the games we make. There are some methods already out there, but it requires dumping the save file, something not everyone can do.

BooJoh said:
I think what a lot of people don't see about this game is this:

Since the release of DS in 2004, people have been begging for Mario Paint DS.

http://i39.tinypic.com/b4w57n.png

WarioWare DIY is basically WarioWare + Mario Paint DS, but instead of making animations out of your pictures, you make games.

This is one of my most anticipated DS games so far. I was really close to importing, but knew the language barrier would kill the experience for me.
You know, I never grew up with Mario Paint, so I didn't really see the appeal of painting on a console, but considering that this is a handheld, and I can do this kind of stuff on the go, I know I'll love it.

Also, the music thing to me mostly makes up for Nintendo not releasing Band Bros. in America.

Andrex said:
Wow, I was considering making this exact post. :lol :'(

loosus

Banned
Simple question: does it allow you enough control that, in theory (regardless of whether anybody has enough talent, skill, and patience to actually pull it off), could you make a miniature Super Mario Bros. level with a.) pixel-perfect physics for Mario, b.) identical music, c.) identical sprites and background, d.) identical controls for Mario, and e.) at least one enemy, a few bricks, and a few question blocks?

Ducks said:
I can't wait to play this.

Come to think of it, I still need to pick up Twisted
Woah, you should get on that. In my opinion, it is the best Warioware, and my favorite GBA game period. Not only does it have unlockables out the wazoo, but it has some of the best boss games.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I would love to get this and make stuff, but I know my artistic abilities are going to hamper my fun. Do you have to draw everything, or are they going to have lots of set peices so I can just cut and paste my way to fun games?

BooJoh

Sp3eD said:
I would love to get this and make stuff, but I know my artistic abilities are going to hamper my fun. Do you have to draw everything, or are they going to have lots of set peices so I can just cut and paste my way to fun games?
There's 90 included microgames, and you can use any resources from them. So for example, 9-Volt's games will probably be a treasure trove of oldschool NES characters and stuff

Deku

Banned
Just imagine the microgames made and shared online in honour of NPD threads or any gaming occasion.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I have to assume that 99% of all of the homemade micro-games will involve either the touching of or inserting of a penis, vagina, breasts, or butts.

For me, the only game I'm interested in making will be: The sky turns pink and two ducks flying away. The Duckhunt dogs stands up to laugh at you and you blow his brains out. 25 years of repressed hatred will finally be gratified.

Salsa

I am super-hyped for this, dont really know why, but it seems like a perfect concept.

Only thing missing is Wi-fi microgame trading, i want to download games made by everyone, not only nintendo...

So fucking pumped for this game. I've been playing WarioWare: Mega Microgames on my brand new used GB Micro in eager anticipation.

Still need to find a copy of Twisted, though...:(

BooJoh

SalsaShark said:
I am super-hyped for this, dont really know why, but it seems like a perfect concept.

Only thing missing is Wi-fi microgame trading, i want to download games made by everyone, not only nintendo...
http://www.wariowarediy.com/download-and-share/trading-and-sharing/

Looks to me like it has Wi-Fi sharing the same way Mario vs. DK 3 and Picross DS worked. You log on, upload your games to your own personal WFC space, then anyone on your friend list can download them.

EDIT: I'm talking friends-only though, not the public part of MvDK3. I just don't think Nintendo would allow the possibility of a single penis microgame slipping through.

Chairhome

BooJoh said:
Two things people might want to know:

1) Last I checked, this game was in Club Nintendo's "Intend to Buy" list.

2) If you go to the website, you'll see a banner that says "Wario Wants You! Coming Soon!"

Previously, this was a link to information about a contest. The details of the contest were to design your own microgame, and the grand prize was a trip for two to NOA's E3 presentation

Man, I think the Intend to Buy is gone already. I missed it :-/

I'll put the info about the contest up in the OP when it comes back up, thanks.

celebi23 said:
Iwata Asks: WarioWare: D.I.Y.
http://nintendods.com/iwata-asks-chapter.jsp?interviewId=5&volumeId=1&chapterId=1

Might want to include that link in the OP, Chairhome
Thanks.

IGN Review is up http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/107/1079712p1.html

looks great!

Closing Comments
This is truly Mario Paint for the Nintendo DS generation. Don't get WarioWare D.I.Y. if you're just interested in playing through the next batch of microgames from Nintendo; get it to show off that you have what it takes to do what Nintendo does.

I love WarioWare D.I.Y. as a creative outlet: game builders have been around since the '80s but this is the first time I found myself truly engrossed in the process of building a game from scratch because of how simple yet powerful it is. Sure, when all is said and done there's not much to a five to 10-second "tap the screen" mini-game, but the fact that you can get something up and running and working in a short amount of time definitely fuels that sense of satisfaction and instant gratification.

Just to give you an idea of what WarioWare's capable of, here's a sampling of games I created during my review process:

Stuffed animals are scattered inside a crane game. Tap the kangaroo to grab it in order to move on, but you'll fail if you tap the other stuffed animals.

A one-to-one pixel conversion of the Atari 2600 version of Space Invaders: time a screen tap to shoot a bullet and take out the final invader before time runs out.

A driving game where you'll steer a car through a set of flags at the top of the screen. Each tap of the screen turns the vehicle 90 degrees as it drives forward.

If you're just interested in scripting and programming, you can simply import art from any microgame that's in your cartridge and use it for your design. If you just want to draw you can edit any microgame and replace the assets with your own creation. Or if you're a musician, you can tinker around with the composition tool and come up with your own score.

scored a 9.0

Top Bottom