• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarioWare D.I.Y. thread of "Do you like to... 'Do-it-yourself?'"

BooJoh

POWERSPHERE said:
IGN Review is up http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/107/1079712p1.html

looks great!

Closing Comments
This is truly Mario Paint for the Nintendo DS generation. Don't get WarioWare D.I.Y. if you're just interested in playing through the next batch of microgames from Nintendo; get it to show off that you have what it takes to do what Nintendo does.

I love WarioWare D.I.Y. as a creative outlet: game builders have been around since the '80s but this is the first time I found myself truly engrossed in the process of building a game from scratch because of how simple yet powerful it is. Sure, when all is said and done there's not much to a five to 10-second "tap the screen" mini-game, but the fact that you can get something up and running and working in a short amount of time definitely fuels that sense of satisfaction and instant gratification.

Just to give you an idea of what WarioWare's capable of, here's a sampling of games I created during my review process:

Stuffed animals are scattered inside a crane game. Tap the kangaroo to grab it in order to move on, but you'll fail if you tap the other stuffed animals.

A one-to-one pixel conversion of the Atari 2600 version of Space Invaders: time a screen tap to shoot a bullet and take out the final invader before time runs out.

A driving game where you'll steer a car through a set of flags at the top of the screen. Each tap of the screen turns the vehicle 90 degrees as it drives forward.

If you're just interested in scripting and programming, you can simply import art from any microgame that's in your cartridge and use it for your design. If you just want to draw you can edit any microgame and replace the assets with your own creation. Or if you're a musician, you can tinker around with the composition tool and come up with your own score.

scored a 9.0

Awesome. The anticipation is driving me nuts, it feels like I've been waiting forever for this game.

EDIT: quoting you for the new page.

rpmurphy

I guess here's a video showing what some of the stuff that potentially can be made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egFhW2emz4s
All Nintendo-themed stuff, so maybe they were made by Nintendo devs and packaged into the WiiWare title? I don't know so maybe Japan-Gaf or someone else can clarify. Impressive nevertheless, especially the complexity in some of the microgames.

BooJoh

rpmurphy said:
I guess here's a video showing what some of the stuff that potentially can be made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egFhW2emz4s
All Nintendo-themed stuff, so maybe they were made by Nintendo devs and packaged into the WiiWare title? I don't know so maybe Japan-Gaf or someone else can clarify. Impressive nevertheless, especially the complexity in some of the microgames.
Yeah, those are some of the ~70 Nintendo-made microgames that come with DIY Showcase on WiiWare. The DS cart has ~90 of its own as well, so I'd say these have some content even for those who like playing the WarioWare games but aren't as interested in making them. (though $35 would be a bit steep for half the number of games that were in the original GBA title. But you can download more.)

But in Iwata Asks they said the games included with it were created using the game's editors, so they're still a good show of what's possible.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DIY eh, apart from the yourself bullshit is it comparable to touched? 90 games seems to be a good amount, just hope it's as good. Spent more than a 100 hours on touched! :D Kinda surprised it took this long to make a new one

AntMurda

I hate that IGN and several other database entries always overlook Nintendo (in this case Nintendo SPD Group No. 1) as a developer when a "co-developed" signature appears on the title. Sometimes it's not even a co-developer but a license or music producer.

Like people who list TNX or JP Room as the developers of Nintendo SPD's Rhythm Heaven / Tengoku. TNX and JP Room are MUSIC RECORDING STUDIOS you idiots. Check your facts damnit.

End of rant.

Teetris said:
DIY eh, apart from the yourself bullshit is it comparable to touched? 90 games seems to be a good amount, just hope it's as good. Spent more than a 100 hours on touched! :D Kinda surprised it took this long to make a new one
Apart from making games and music and sharing them and downloading new ones...

The game is comparable to the first Wario stage in Touched!... in that you can only play games with tapping the stylus. It doesn't mean the games are bad (I mean, think about all of the 1-button games in Warioware original and even some in Twisted), but this doesn't seem like the game you'd get if you're simply looking for new Warioware with new minigames utilizing a new control method. This is the kind of game you'd get based on other merits.

While I'm freakishly excited for this game, I do wish that they'd go back to doing "regular" Warioware at some point. (Thinking about it... The next DS, with likely motion control and 3D, will likely have the next Warioware! Am excited, especially since Twisted is my favorite.)

OliveJuice said:
Just came in to say Sakurai is awesome.
Yes. Yes, he is.

BooJoh

Some more info about WarioWare DIY Showcase on WiiWare:

-800 points
-72 games included
-can download more games
-transfer your games, music, or comics from DS to Wii
-can act as extra storage for your own games
-unlockable multiplayer mode

Release date on the official site says March 28th, but the press site says March 29th, which seems more likely.

http://us.wii.com/wiiware/diyshowcase/

EDIT: Contest info is up now too. http://www.wariowarediy.com/thewarios/

I'll probably be getting this game once the 3DS comes out, since I'm not going to buy a DSi after that announcement.

Shame nobody will care about this game by that point.

SuperAngelo64 said:
I'll probably be getting this game once the 3DS comes out, since I'm not going to buy a DSi after that announcement.

Shame nobody will care about this game by that point.

I don't think you need a DSi for this, just a DS.

BooJoh

Yeah it has no DSi features (total missed opportunity imo, importing camera pics would've made for a whole new realm of crazy live action microgames.)

leroidys

It's up on goozex btw if anyone cares. I'm #2 so hopefully I'll get it sometime soon :D
Looking forward to it, as flipnote studio is one of my absolute favorite ds games.

celebi23

So damn excited about this game :D Can't wait to redo/finish the microgame that I made on my roomate's Japanese copy :lol Oh & downloading games made by top-profile game developers? So awesome :D

edit: I just realized something, the scifi character (that I've had in the back of my mind since I was about 12) can finally be used :D Fuck yeah!

bryehn

Picked it up because I was pleasantly surprised to find it at Wal-Mart in Canada for $35.

They had quite a few DSiXL units and had already sold one at 8:30 AM.

Going to get the WiiWare version too, I think. I'll probably have more fun downloading others' creations than making my own, but I'm really interested in checking out the editor.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Why would you do that? said:
Apart from making games and music and sharing them and downloading new ones...

The game is comparable to the first Wario stage in Touched!... in that you can only play games with tapping the stylus. It doesn't mean the games are bad (I mean, think about all of the 1-button games in Warioware original and even some in Twisted), but this doesn't seem like the game you'd get if you're simply looking for new Warioware with new minigames utilizing a new control method. This is the kind of game you'd get based on other merits.
Ah, thanks for the info.

Why would you do that? said:
While I'm freakishly excited for this game, I do wish that they'd go back to doing "regular" Warioware at some point. (Thinking about it... The next DS, with likely motion control and 3D, will likely have the next Warioware! Am excited, especially since Twisted is my favorite.
Heh, you'd just made me want the new DS in a matter of seconds. I'll probably purchase it now the day Warioware 3DS is here.

celebi23

Picking this up a little bit later. Got a pretty amazing idea for some microgames. Watched the instruction videos so much that I've got all of them planned out. Going to make 10 microgames & they'll all be related to each other. I should be able to finish the first and the second ones by tonight :D That's all you guys will get out of me :D For now :lol

Just got it and DSi XL. LIking it so far. I plan to create some games soon, can not wait to see other peoples games.

fc is 2321-8540-1580 You can add up to 50 people! Getting WiiWare Version to.

I picked up my DSi XL today at GamesStop and I'm getting my copy of WarioWare tomorrow from FedEx. Why didn't I realize earlier that Nintendo releases games on Sundays!

Deku

Banned
BooJoh said:
Some more info about WarioWare DIY Showcase on WiiWare:

-800 points
-72 games included
-can download more games
-transfer your games, music, or comics from DS to Wii
-can act as extra storage for your own games
-unlockable multiplayer mode

Release date on the official site says March 28th, but the press site says March 29th, which seems more likely.

http://us.wii.com/wiiware/diyshowcase/

EDIT: Contest info is up now too. http://www.wariowarediy.com/thewarios/

what what what?

So basically DSi Wario Ware DIY microgames works on Wii?

BooJoh

Deku said:
what what what?

So basically DSi Wario Ware DIY microgames works on Wii?
That's the idea, yeah. The Nintendo-made games that come with each (90 on DS, 72 on WiiWare) are different, but you can send your own microgames between the two, and I believe you can download the weekly microgames or your friends' games onto either version as well.

Since the games can only use the stylus, it translates pretty smoothly to the Wii pointer.

Oli

Does DIY have a bunch of pre-loaded mini games already, similar to previous games in the series? Or is it all download or make yourself? I don't mind the latter, but I'd prefer to have some of the standard Warioware fun inbetween creating.

Oli said:
Does DIY have a bunch of pre-loaded mini games already, similar to previous games in the series? Or is it all download or make yourself? I don't mind the latter, but I'd prefer to have some of the standard Warioware fun inbetween creating.

From the OP:

"Aside from the user-generated microgames, WarioWare D.I.Y. includes over 90 pre-made microgames featuring the characters Mona, Jimmy T., Ashley, Orbulon, and 9-Volt. WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase includes 72 different pre-made microgames featuring Wario-Man, Dribble & Spitz, Kat & Ana, and 18-Volt. Each character has microgames set to certain themes, similar to WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!."

As much as I am looking forward to making my own games I'm glad that Nintendo is including some pre-made games as well. WarioWare games tend to have a great sense of humor :)

BooJoh

Oli said:
90 in the DS version, 72 in the WiiWare version.

For comparison:

Mega Microgame$ - over 200
Touched! - over 180
Twisted! - over 200
Smooth Moves - over 200
Snapped - 20
DIY - 90
DIY Showcase - 72

Wow, I didn't realize how many microgames the other versions of WarioWare included. Since the Wii and DS versions have different games we are getting 162 new microgames between the 2 systems.

Salsa

Got it. Made a game called "braaaains" where you have to shoot zombies in the head before the time runs out, idk, first thing that came to mind :lol it took me a while but the process is really fun, checking out all of the tutorials is a must.

Oli

BooJoh said:
90 in the DS version, 72 in the WiiWare version.

For comparison:

Mega Microgame$ - over 200
Touched! - over 180
Twisted! - over 200
Smooth Moves - over 200
Snapped - 20
DIY - 90
DIY Showcase - 72

Not bad considering the potential for more to come. Really want to pick this one up.

celebi23

Just picked it up. Currently on the first tutorial section. I get to draw a ladybug :lol It's nice to finally understand what I'm reading/supposed to do :lol Oh & that "Palette" guy in his boxers? That'd make an awesome avatar :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just got back. I'm pouring a couple hours into HG first, after which I will probably go and make Pokemon themed microgames.
...man, I am Nintendo's little bitch, and I don't even care :D

rexor0717

I love Warioware and I want this game. But I just got Soul Silver, and I want to dedicate more time to that. So many good games coming out this month.

Chairhome

Just picked it up! Only tried the first set of premade games, but I can't wait to actually get into it and start making stuff. Saw the DSi XL and it looked great, can't afford to upgrade my DSi right now though. Just a heads up, if anyone wants a thicker stylus, I recommend this pack (DSi Screen Protectors with Pen stylus). The regular stylus cramps my hand, this pen one might be better for those long game making sessions :D

celebi23

Dammit :lol So, I'm creating the first part of my 12-part microgame. It starts with you piloting a space ship & trying to avoid asteroids. I've got the win condition set up & some explosion artwork if you hit an asteroid. Is it possible to make it so that you'll lose the game when you hit an asteroid, even if you are on your way to the edge of the screen (the winning point) ? I hope that makes some sense :lol

edit: Got it working now :lol I had the ship's switch turning on at the wrong point :lol

Jaruru

got this game for $35 CAD, not bad not bad
a lot of options in creating mode. will try some later ;)

how much is the WiiWare version coming out tmr?
is it a totally separate game?

celebi23

Jaruru said:
got this game for $35 CAD, not bad not bad
a lot of options in creating mode. will try some later ;)

how much is the WiiWare version coming out tmr?
is it a totally separate game?

800 points iirc. Just finished my first microgame. It's on to part 2 of my much larger microgame (think episodic gaming :lol )

A question for the people who have it.
Can you make boss microgames? Are you always conditioned to a microgame of seconds or you can do a normal Wario Ware boss without time limit?

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Can you make boss microgames? Are you always conditioned to a microgame of seconds or you can do a normal Wario Ware boss without time limit?

ONly 8 and 16 second minigames :( unless its a unlockable feature.

I've already made two microgames. Where is everyone? Lets start sharing! Looks like this game is not getting many posts which is sad. My favorite WarioWare game for the editor alone.

Fc again is 2321-8540-1580 if anyone wants to check out my games and i will check out yours! Shame you can only upload two games at a time, will leave the games I got up for about a week before switching them. In the meantime I will make some records and comics so look for them in a couple days.

My games that you can now buy from WRV Software is;

Dodgin Bills
A Mario game where you dodge bullet billa by jumping and moving right. It took forever to get it to work.

Minigore
My 2nd game based off the iPhone and iPod Touch game Minigore. Shoot the Furries!! I drew the character and enemies.

Both games are hard. Probally to hard but I was just quickly trying to make them. Will make easier ones next. (both games can be beaten on the normal minigame speed atleast lol)

Its to bad you can not touch and drag, I wanted to create a flightcontrol game...oh well will probally create more iPod based minigames.

RedBoot

SpacePirate Ridley said:

Already answered above me, but the boss games aren't even selectable from the games shelf (where the other games are stored), so yeah, probably not even an unlockable thing. Also means we can't use art and such from the boss games, but oh well.

Anyway, I was always a little angry that this game would be prevented from being as good as it could be since I knew you wouldn't be able to just grab random games online (since every other one would have a penis in it). Just the idea that you could have a mode where the game goes online, downloads ~18 random games at once, and makes you a new set automatically would make for a pretty much infinite game. But, it looks like Nintendo is going to be putting up some created games for download, both between the games made by developers and the contest submissions, so at least there's something. And we can always get new games, penises and all, through friend codes.

Enoug complaining. What I've played so far seems pretty awesome, and the tutorials are great. I can't wait until everyone on here starts getting a good collection of games going and circulating FCs.

Yeah kinda sad how this game doesn't seem to be getting the publicity it deserves. Me and my group of friends bought it and have been having a blast all day. Kinda bummed that you can only hold two games in your "warehouse", I was expecting more, but hey its better then nothing :). Ill be adding whoever posts their friend codes so we can swap goodies.

FC - 2150-0561-1850

EDIT - Added you WiiRev

Top Bottom