• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star - happy 20th Anniversary!

Undubbed

Phantasy Star IV was my first RPG ever when I rented waaaay back in the day.

Even though it was my first and is an ok game, it's far far from my favorite RPG.

The other Phantasy Stars I have trouble getting into also, so really it's all on PSIV for me.

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, PS1-2 especially are pretty inaccessable if you don't have that nostalgia factor helping drive you. PS1 is almost umplayably archaic imo... (non-JAM) remake with an in game map plz! :/

camineet

Banned
I played them in order. you really need to play the original and II, to REALLY appreciate "IV"
which is actually just Phantasy Star: The End of the Millenium, there's no IV in the title screen.

phanstar4-logo.gif

IV only appears on the box in U.S. & Europe, and not even in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
sega4ever said:
sega didnt sent phantasy star 4 to die, that was just the costs of rpg's back then
Uh no... even the biggest Square SNES RPGs weren't cracking $80. For a 24Mbit 1st party game in 1995, PS4's price was insane.

GhaleonEB

jarrod said:
Yeah, PS1-2 especially are pretty inaccessable if you don't have that nostalgia factor helping drive you. PS1 is almost umplayably archaic imo... (non-JAM) remake with an in game map plz! :/
You know, I agree in part, but I'm helping my daughter play through Blue Dragon right now and to me huge swaths of that game feel just as archaic, from the giant treasure chests where they don't belong (in the middle of town!?!) to the core turn-based combat (attack/defend/magic/item), NPCs standing around in place waiting just for you to talk with them. In many ways PS I and II just feel stripped down a little, while the dungeons and overall difficulty remain pretty hardcore and to me, enjoyable even when nostalgia is factored out.

I have a couple days off next week and am looking to start an RPG. I have both cart versions of PS II and IV AND the Sega Genesis Collection. Which version of which game should I start with and why? (To tell the truth, PS II scares me a little bit :lol .)

Vrolokus

Banned
Canadian Psycho said:
I have a couple days off next week and am looking to start an RPG. I have both cart versions of PS II and IV AND the Sega Genesis Collection. Which version of which game should I start with and why? (To tell the truth, PS II scares me a little bit :lol .)

Just do PSIV from the Genesis Collection... it has references to PSII (all three prior PS games, actually) that you'll appreciate more if you've played the games, but frankly: PSIV is so much better than II or III, it's really not worth playing through those games just to "get" a couple lines here and there. Just read a story FAQ for games I-III and you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, they're all great (well, all but III anyway), but personally I'd only say PSI and PSIV are "must plays".

Baryn

Banned
Never played a Phantasy Star - I'm totally turned off by the weird art style and the fact there is only sweeping general "OMG THE MEMORIES" feedback, and never any serious praise or criticism.

Basically, sell me on playing this series.

SERGE

What a great thread!
Phantasy Star 1 is my favourite game of all time!
Funny as I had no idea it was the 20th anniversary as last week I started filming a video review of the game.
Now I can add 20th Anniversary to it's title.
Is there any nice video of the game online? as I tried to capture video of it using dazzler but it just never comes out right..it's always out of sinc.

Souther

Banned
If you guys haven't you really need to hear the FM sound of Phantasy Star.

It sounds soooooooooooooo good.

Here is a video from Phantasy Star Collection on Sega Saturn.
It gives you the option of using the FM sound or the sound that was used in the NA release.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY0GRqx67-c

Theres alot of other videos there aswell. Check them out.

Once upon a time I went to Best Buy to get PS4.
Walked out with Beyond Oasis instead.

Luckily those days are behind us. You can get PS4 and umpteen other games for $20 and you can get Beyond Oasis for $8.

Also once upon a time I thought about importing Phantasy Star Collection. But really I only wanted it for the massive amount of artwork included.

Luckily those days are also behind us. Mainly because we have the internet. And chances are some random person uploaded every piece of art related to the game in someplace...somewhere.

I stillhave nightmares about the dmans in PS2, but those were some of my best days in gaming. Back when I was in college with no cash to party, but I had my games. ;)

sega4ever

those youtube videos of the saturn phantasy star collection show that its listed as phantasy star 4 in the art gallery section

camineet

Banned
i feel badly for those that didn't play I, II, III and 'IV' in their time. i myself didn't play the original until 2 years after it came out in Japan but it was still the era of I, and II when I did.

people who played them anywhere from the late 90s until now can't appreciate them as much because newer, flashier games were out (i.e. FFVII)

Skullkid

Phantasy Star was perhaps the best game of the NES/SMS era. I replayed it recently on the GBA and it still holds up well. Are the Phantasy Star remakes for the PS2 ever going to come out in the US?

Tellaerin

GhaleonEB said:
The only games from the series I've played are PS I-III. I still mean to track down PSIV some day.

It's one of the games on the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 (along with PS II and III). The collection's worth the $20 for PS IV alone, IMO.

Sega just needs to do a remake of all the Phantasy Star games, much like what Squaresoft/Enix is doing with Final Fantasy. Re-do the music (same music, just a much more rich version) and update the graphics. Same everything, just "As if the same game was made today in the exact same style".

Man, I'd kill for some PS2 & PS3 action....those times in PS2 in which Rudo was the only one to make it back to town to get the rest of the gang rezzed. :lol Multiplying slimes! I HATE YOU HATE YOUUUUU!

Souther

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Sega just needs to do a remake of all the Phantasy Star games, much like what Squaresoft/Enix is doing with Final Fantasy. Re-do the music (same music, just a much more rich version) and update the graphics. Same everything, just "As if the same game was made today in the exact same style".!

They did.

Its called Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Generation 1 & 2.

They didn't do Phantasy Star III because it was made by a different team than the original team

I hope Phantasy Star Generation IV comes out at some point

Stage On

Souther said:
They did.

Its called Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Generation 1 & 2

Well they need to damn well hurry it up and remake the best game of the bunch (Hint 4) and then port the games over to Wii as a Trilogy for the north american release.

Phantasy Star 4 was my first rpg ever and it's one of the best rpgs of all time. I would almost kill for a chance to play an updated remake version with expanded content like a sidequest to bring Alys back to live and maybe a new planet to explore *drools*

Souther said:
They did.

Its called Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Generation 1 & 2.

They didn't do Phantasy Star III because it was made by a different team than the original team

I hope Phantasy Star Generation IV comes out at some point

Oh really? Link? I want to see some shots of their efforts then and see what platform it's on.

*edit*

Googled it. Reading up on it on IGN.

camineet

Banned
if Sega does remake Phantasy Star 'IV' The End of the Millennium, I hope they choose a different, better style than what they let outside developer 3D Ages use for Generation 1 and 2.

I just saw the final battle with DF in Generation 1 on Youtube. DF doesn't look nearly as terrifying as it did in the original.

Souther

Banned
Souther said:
Ok here are some awesome sites on these games, best on the net.

Phantasy Star Generation 1:

http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/psg1-web/index.html

Phantasy Star Generation 2:

http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/psg2-web/index.html

And an Awesome PSIV website:

http://www.fantasyanime.com/phantasystar/ps4.htm

Did it only come out in Japan? Or did it hit here? I've not seen anything about any release dates anywhere, I know that it came out in 2005, but man...I want an english version. :lol

NolbertoS

I remember playing these games way back, I'd kill for a 360 or PS3 next-gen version of Phantasy Star. Note that I'm not a huge fan of the Phantasy Star Online series, I'd rather play games from the main series that was turn-based kinda like DQ.

camineet

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Did it only come out in Japan? Or did it hit here? I've not seen anything about any release dates anywhere, I know that it came out in 2005, but man...I want an english version. :lol

Phantasy Star Generation 1 (remake of original) - 2003
Phantasy Star Generation 2 (remake of II) - 2005

Japan only.

camineet

Banned
I love how Dark Force looks on the Japanese cover of PS: The End of the Millennium

8nXb_1200977383_PhantasystarEndofthemillenniumJP.jpg

I so much wanted
The Profound Darkness
to look something like that, but no, Sega makes the
first 2 forms of Profound Darkness look retarded, and the final form, a woman with spikey things
how very anti-climactic, although the ending cut-scenes were good.

Phantasy Star Universe - The game itself isnt too great but SEGA almost tricked me into thinking it might've been Phantasy Star V because in the very first trailer at E3 2004 there was text that scrolled for 2 seconds which read "Phantasy Star V?".

CyXP_1202778049_PSU_E304.bmp

.... it gives me hope that there might be a PSV this gen.
I beg you SEGA do PSV, and do it RIGHT!

Tain

I don't know what it is about the Phantasy Star title screen, but even without playing the game back in the day (or having any nostalgia for it whatsoever), it screams 80s Sega more than anything else I can think of. It's awesome.

I really, really want to get around to beating the original. PS II seemed like a bit much for me last time I tried it, but I might give that a go some day, too.

EGM92

All I have to say is that PSIV is still one of my favorite RPG's out there, they should really go back to the old style RPG's and stop this PSU/PSO shit.

I remember paying 89.99$ + taxes when PSIV came out. not the most expensive game I purchased but damn hell it was worth the money back.

$100 - PSIV - worth every penny.

At this point it's really hard to get into it if you don't have some of the nostalgia. Phantasy Star 1 dungeons are almost completely memorized and exist in a part of my brain that I renew at least once a year. The only dungeons I don't have memorized are Medusa's, Baya Malay and the Green Dragon island cave.

Phantasy Star 2 as well, I have more or less memorized. I would contend that these games are better then a lot of the new fangled stuff coming out on the 360, they just aren't memorable.

Sega, if you're reading this I want PSV 0.o

Souther

Banned
EGM92 said:
All I have to say is that PSIV is still one of my favorite RPG's out there, they should really go back to the old style RPG's and stop this PSU/PSO shit.

I remember paying 89.99$ + taxes when PSIV came out. not the most expensive game I purchased but damn hell it was worth the money back.

Yeah i live in Canada and i remember being in Highschool at the time and skipping school and going across town to pick it up for 99.99+Tax.

camineet

Banned
Tain said:
I don't know what it is about the Phantasy Star title screen, but even without playing the game back in the day (or having any nostalgia for it whatsoever), it screams 80s Sega more than anything else I can think of. It's awesome.

I really, really want to get around to beating the original. PS II seemed like a bit much for me last time I tried it, but I might give that a go some day, too.

all the Phantasy Star (I, II, IV and even III) title screens were good.

overall I still think I was the best. I love II to death but it was too futuristic, it lacked the perfect Fantasy-Science mix of the first. technically II is far better but I will always have my fondest memories. people cried when
Nei died
in II, I cried when I finished I.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That article posted in the OP is insane. PS1 is a good game, to be sure, but the only really excellent part about it is the sound work. I much prefer the actual gameplay of the first FF and DQ titles.

That being said, I'd kill if sega got Atlus to remake PS for the DS. Hell, anyone would. They know how to do a 3D dungeon crawl proper.

Vrolokus

Banned
I had that very magazine!

Oh, we did a piece for the Village Voice on older games that were influences on Holiday '07 titles, which gave me an opportunity to give dear, dear Phantasy Star a little shout-out. ;)

Game On

The relevant bit:

Village Voice "Game On" said:
Mass Effect (Xbox 360): Interstellar role-playing in a universe steeped in magic, boldly going where no man has gone before . . .
. . . because a woman already went there — two decades ago — in Phantasy Star (Sega, 1988). In an era when every RPG flaunted the graphics of a cave painting, Phantasy Star stunned us with 3D dungeons, multiple alien worlds, and a female protagonist named Alis. How does Final Fantasy get 376 sequels, while this one gets forgotten?

camineet

Banned
does anyone have the Feb 1989 issue of Video Games & Computer Entertainment?

qdWI_1198196098_vgce_feb89.jpg.jpg

I'm pretty sure that issue had a review of Phantasy Star.

camineet

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
man.........another thread that deserves blessing.....bless this thread with all my heart and soul! :D :D :D

thanks. nice Rolf avatar btw.

i could have put alot of effort into my OP to make it as best as i could. I did not.

been in alot of physical pain from an accident that injured my back, neck and shoulders, so even though i'm healing up i didnt have alot of energy so, complaining aside, i did the least i could. still dont believe its 20 years. 18 years for me since i got Phantasy Star. it would've been right around this time, winter break 1989-1990. memories. mem-or-ies.

firex

Phantasy Star was such an awesome series... it's a shame Sega decided to go with lame diablo clones instead of putting some big money behind an all new Phantasy Star 5.

It's not like the game only has nostalgia going for it... Phantasy Star 1 is hands down my favorite console RPG of the NES/SMS generation I've played, despite it lacking stuff like the job system in DQ3 and FF3. Graphically, it's very detailed, and it has a wonderful save-anywhere feature that is both a blessing and a curse if you misuse it in a dungeon and get lost.

The only one I've never gotten very far in is 3, and even it's not so bad. It's definitely a weak point and doesn't really stand up to anything but the more average RPGs of its time period, but considering how mind-blowingly awesome 2 and 4 are in comparison to the console RPGs of the SNES/Genesis era, it's ok for 3 to be the low point. The way Phantasy Star works it could easily be remade Etrian Odyssey style, like ethelred suggested a few weeks ago. In fact, that's what Sega should do if they want a smash hit on the DS, because the game could satisfy the dungeon crawler niche a bit while also satisfying the typical jRPG player crowd.

Sean*O

Love that game!

Got it when it came out and it changed my perspective of the Master System. I had been playing Ultima games on my Atari 800 PC for my RPG fix up to that point, and Phantasy Star was the first console game to absorb me (nearly) as much a those Ultima games did.

The game had me AND my dad hooked, we would play it in shifts while the other watched and followed along with the story.

I was kind of bummed when the series went all MMORPG.

camineet

Banned
Sean*O said:
The game had me AND my dad hooked, we would play it in shifts while the other watched and followed along with the story.

that sounds so awesome. bet you have such phantastic memories of this amirite :)

Aras

Loved it, but never played the first four =( started to play since PSO, and simply loved it, the gameplay was just simple but loveable ... I used to play it with my brothers and they were hours of fun n___n the music was awesome and the environments really cool =0

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Vrolokus said:
I had that very magazine!

Oh, we did a piece for the Village Voice on older games that were influences on Holiday '07 titles, which gave me an opportunity to give dear, dear Phantasy Star a little shout-out. ;)

Game On

The relevant bit:

Nice article... I see the Village Voice around a lot when I go into NYC but never thought of picking one up... but with articles like that, I just might ;)

camineet

Banned
I played the Japanese version recently for the first time via emulation.
the difference the FM sound makes is incredible.

Master System with FM Synth sounds better than the sound generated by the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx without CD.

Top Bottom