• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star - happy 20th Anniversary!

camineet

Banned
well it's the 20th in Japan now, so, HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY PHANTASY STAR

ALGOL's LIGHT HAS SHINED FOR 20 YEARS

Ic8g_1198088654_phantasystarfront.jpg

TQ5O_1198088692_phantasystarback.jpg

Japanese commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og_y-dMod9k

Phantasy Star was released in Japan on December 20th, 1987
for the Sega Mark III / Master System

was so far ahead of its peers on the Famicom, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy

Due in part to this conservatism, Phantasy Star was the first traditional console RPG to be released outside of Japan -- and indeed the only major traditional RPG to exist until a year later, with the release of Phantasy Star II for the Sega Genesis.

Armed with the design skills of Rieko "Phoenix Rie" Kodama and the programming ingenuity of famed Sonic Team president-to-be "Muuuu" Yuji Naka, Phantasy Star outshines the other, more obvious RPGs of its day with a startling ease and grace. One could say that Enix and Square are both put solidly to shame by the extent of what Sega achieved in their first RPG.

Graphically, there is little competition. Large, well-drawn cutscenes dot Phantasy Star's plotline during key events. Battles are fought from a first-person perspective with large, fluidly-animated monsters, against colourful and varied backdrops. Naka's clever, smoothly-scrolling 3-D dungeons are some of the greatest technical marvels of the 8-bit era -- and are still impressive to this day.

Aside from the visuals, Tokuhiko Uwabo's remarkable musical score consists of some of the most engaging and memorable compositions of the time, easily standing beside the best of Koji Kondo or Hip Tanaka. The Japanese had it even better, though.

Due to cost issues, the Western Sega Master System lacks the high-powered FM music chip found inside its sister Japanese Mark III console. As a result, whereas the US and European versions of Phantasy Star contain a chirpy modulated soundtrack of the typical 8-bit variety, the original Japanese release is blessed with an arcade-quality, high-resolution aural experience unlike anything else that could be found on the home consoles of the day.

In every technical sense, Phantasy Star looks and feels more like an early Genesis game than its exact contemporary (within two days!) Final Fantasy. To witness this game on the Gameboy Advance screen is to marvel at how little out-of-place it feels next to its younger, and more -- well, advanced, brethren.

Packaging can only go so far, however. As impressive as its presentation might be, Phantasy Star's true appeal lies hardly in its glamour -- but rather in its personality, and in its heart. Whereas Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest contain faceless heroes set off around generic fantasy worlds with only the faintest excuse of a plot as motivation, Phantasy Star is from the outset a personal game -- and, indeed, series.

Phantasy Star begins simply enough; ostensibly it tells the tale of a young woman named (in the American version) Alis Landale, as she sets off to avenge the savage death of her brother. The game continues through her perspective, as the player interacts with well-defined, memorable characters and travels across the three distinct planets of the Algol star system.

Establishing a breathing world -- a character in its own right -- and setting up what will become the mythology for all subsequent games in the series, Phantasy Star's relatively deep plot and character-driven approach to storytelling is -- surprisingly -- also a few years ahead of its time.

Even now, as static and consistent a game universe as Algol is a rare find. Taken as a whole, the Phantasy Star series forms a dramatic epic unlike anything yet to be created within the medium.

This first game also wins brownie points for its heroine, Alis; one of the first strong female leads in any videogame, alongside Nintendo's Samus Aran. Although each game in the series takes place in a different time period and contains a distinct cast, Alis will return again and again throughout future games, in flashbacks and as an object of legend.

With all of its charms, Phantasy Star is probably more accessible to today's audiences than one might rightfully expect. Where the game fails to stand up as well to modern scrutiny, lies mostly in the mechanical elements of gameplay. We have obviously come far since 1987, in terms of RPG systems.

Although arguably more immediately appealing, and less of a hassle to get into, than Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star does contain its share of frustrations and just plain strange elements of game design:

* Monster balance, especially at the start of the game, is peculiar.
* No matter how many enemies you're faced against, only one will be shown graphically.
* Within a given battle, there is no choosing what monster to attack, in which order.
* For some reason, there is no walking on the grass within town borders.
* Townspeople are comprised of identical, immobile background elements.
* The game is not immune to the classic 8-bit "so where do I go now?" syndrome.

Battles in particular can be troublesome when one first starts off. Generally, Alis will trade blows with monsters. Fighting a single battle with the weakest of enemies will drain nearly all of the player's life, forcing a retreat to town after each encounter. After the player has gone up a few levels and bought a more powerful weapon, this becomes less of an issue.

A further complication, however, is the placement of monsters around the overworld. Venturing far in any direction will invariably lead Alis into highly unbalanced encounters, for which it is unlikely the player is well-prepared.

Further, the inattentive player is likely to get caught up into battles far above his or her current ability due to the technical issue where only one large, fully-animated monster sprite can be shown on the screen at a time. What the player will often see is, say, a single scorpion with four life counters hovering above and to the right of its head.

Even in the cases where the player might logically be able to win such a battle, there is an added complication. Not only is the player unable to choose which enemy to strike, but the computer doing the choosing is invariably programmed to make the stupidest decisions possible.

Rather than finish off one enemy at a time, the computer will want to average out the damage one deals across all of the monsters in a given battle. As such, the player can -- and generally will -- take far more blows than should really be necessary.

The only other really major problem with Phantasy Star is hardly a unique one for games of its age. To put it simply, if you don't know what to do, you probably don't know what to do from one moment to the next. Phantasy Star comes from an era before our current standard of obvious linear direction from location to location and from task to task.

Although there are often cues given as to the player's next general goal, there is rarely any plan set out for how to get there from here. A lot of experimentation and patience is required in order to progress through the game the first time -- although arguably less so than in those other early console RPGs.

If comparing Phantasy Star to its contemporaries shows nothing else, it does suggest one tantalizing idea: we need more women designing our videogames. From the outset, Phantasy Star has, as a series, been blessed with a more sophisticated and emotionally-involved outlook than what has been common in the games around it.

http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/psc/psc2.html

I cried when I finished it the first time ^__^

Spasm

PS1 on VC or XBL = Instant buy.

I hooked up my Master System about a year ago, popped this in, and all my saves were still there. That's one helluva battery.

Aeana

It might be a good idea to put information on all of the games in the first post, like Cheesemeister did with the others.

Link1110

was so far ahead of its peers on the Famicom, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy

Don't forget Phantasy Star 2 in that. It was released a few months after Final Fantasy 2 and well before Dragon Quest 4.

Phantasy Star 3 was released a week before Final Fantasy 3 and a few months after Dragon Quest 4. Too bad it didn't have the gameplay to back up its tech advancements over the two of those games.

Link1110

ronito said:
I weep for not having a true PS sequel since IV.
And Phantasy Star 3 set one up perfectly. If you take the ending where Alisa 3 goes back in time and reaches Earth, they could've tried to stop Dark Force from doing its thing to Earth and preventing Palma from being destroyed.

Maybe the Dark Force from PS3 and the one on Earth (the one from PS2) could've fused or something.

CTLance

I only got to play it at a friends place, and only for a short time. From what I've heard, though, it's an awesome game.

....there was a GBA rerelease some time ago. PS1,2 and IIRC even 3, all on one cartridge. Worth it? I might have to hunt it down, if so.

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
Haha, ethelred got straight-up hosed by a gunjumper!

Yeah. At least I actually know when Phantasy Star's birthday is, unlike this poseur. :(

Oh well. I had a nice little thread ready to go for the whole series, too.

Aeana

ethelred said:
Yeah. At least I actually know when Phantasy Star's birthday is, unlike this poseur. :(

:( I still want to see it!

camineet

Banned
ethelred said:

make your thread a post, I wanna see it.

as for Phantasy Star II, it came out in March 1989 in Japan, and it's U.S. title screen has 1989 on it, but it didn't show up on store shelves until early 1990, it wasn't out until until at least March 1990.

I got my original Phantasy Star either in December 1989 or January 1990, during that season's winter break. I then got Phantasy Star II in April.

ToxicAdam

Phantasy Star was an amazing game. It merged some of the best elements of console RPG's (tiered weapons/armor, simplified combat) with PC RPG's (first person dungeons that required mapping) and added a completely unique setting and story.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend that owned the (Sega Master) system and had the game. Otherwise, I probably would have never played it since 95% of the kids owned Nintendos.

Love this series so much, before IV I never knew some Sega Mega Drive games could actually save progress so I never used it until I saw the option on IV's menu.
PSO was also a really great online RPG, even with all the cheatin scammers and text bubble spammers that tried to fill your screen with messages so you couldn't get that fucking awesome drop YOU FUCKERS!

camineet

Banned
Japanese MegaDrive gamers were saving their progress on Phantasy Star II before most of us even knew of the existance of Sega's 16-bit MegaDrive/Genesis console...

...PSII came out in March 1989, I didn't know of the Genesis until June or July 1989 >_<

radjago

ronito said:
I weep for not having a true PS sequel since IV.
Hear, hear!

It's sad to see the series get strung out into card battle games and pseudo-MMOs when it's a turn-based JRPG at its heart and that's when it's at its best.

camineet

Banned
ethelred said:
We got the true Phantasy Star IV.

And this is why I cannot support this thread.

okay.

but NO, we did not get the true Phantasy Star IV. if you followed the development of the 4th game very closely from 1991 forward, you'd understand why. it was totally changed.

Phantasy Star IV was a completely different Mega/Sega CD game that was canceled.

Phantasy Star: The End of the Millennium was not titled with a IV except on the American and European boxes. not the title screen, and not the box in Japan. why did Sega do that? I don't know, but they had some reason.

while Phantasy Star: The End of the Millennium is the forth main Phantasy Star game,
while it's almost always called Phantasy Star IV, it's not the real IV. we never got IV.

As good as The End of the Millennium is, it was not called IV by Sega, it is just the conclusion to I and II.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Haha, ethelred got straight-up hosed by a gunjumper!

gunjumper? I posted after it had become the 20th in Japan.

ethelred said:

poseur huh? I do know when Phantasy Star's birthday is.

ethelred I think you're just a little bit bitter ;)

Phantasy Star can never catch a break, can it? Even its "Anniversary Thread" on NeoGAF is lacking compared to the ones made here about other prominent series like Final Fantasy and Mega Man. If the thread starter wanted to capture the essence of failure of both Sega and and the PS series since 1995, he nailed it. :p

Ramune

camineet said:
I weep for not having the true Phantasy Star IV at all,
the one originally planned for Mega CD / Sega CD, supposedly subtitled The Return Of Alis.

Not to get off topic too much, but not only was PSIV, but Thunderforce IV, Castlevania IV, Shinobi III (aka. Super Shinobi 2), Captain Commando, and a bunch of Konami shumups had a planned Sega/Mega CD version in the works. I truly weep at what could have been.

Anyway, on topic, since my cousin had a Master System, and my love of Sega's arcade games at the time, I didn't miss any of the triple A classics on the system. The Phantasy Star (the original series) games seem to be a quad of criminally unappreciated classics as far as the gamers I know go. They may have fond memories of Sega's other games (Golden Axe, SoR, Sonic, Shinobi), and might have even played Phantasy Star Online, but Phantasy Star 1-4 only brings looks of "Don't you mean Final Fantasy?" to their bewildered eyes. Wasn't there a remake of PS1 & 2 in the works? What happened with that?

camineet

Banned
Ramune said:
Not to get off topic too much, but not only was PSIV, but Thunderforce IV, Castlevania IV, Shinobi III (aka. Super Shinobi 2), Captain Commando, and a bunch of Konami shumups had a planned Sega/Mega CD version in the works. I truly weep at what could have been.

wasn't aware of most of those having a MegaCD/SegaCD release.

Phantasy Star IV The Return of Alis, Ys IV Mask of the Sun , Power Drift, and the rumored Forgotten Worlds Deluxe were my most wanted SegaCD games. SegaCD would've been a much more awesome of a platform.

Anyway, on topic, since my cousin had a Master System, and my love of Sega's arcade games at the time, I didn't miss any of the triple A classics on the system. The Phantasy Star (the original series) games seem to be a quad of criminally unappreciated classics as far as the gamers I know go. They may have fond memories of Sega's other games (Golden Axe, SoR, Sonic, Shinobi), and might have even played Phantasy Star Online, but Phantasy Star 1-4 only brings looks of "Don't you mean Final Fantasy?" to their bewildered eyes. Wasn't there a remake of PS1 & 2 in the works? What happened with that?

I agree. most people when they hear Phantasy star, say "you mean Final Fantasy" and i'm always having to "explain" stuff. ...sigh.

yes the PSI and PSII remakes came out for PlayStation2 in 2003 and 2005 respectively. they never came out outside of Japan.

the announced/planned PSIV remake never happened at all.

the remakes were supposed to be released in NA on one disc called Phantasy Star Trilogy but there isn't a trilogy since IV was never remade.

soco

Phantasy Star 2 still remains among one of my favorite RPGs ever. poor Nei!

i started PS4 once but didn't get to finish it, but it seemed pretty awesome as well. never could get into the first one though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll say what I say every time a new PS thread comes up: best game series of all time. PS1 - legendary for the time, so far ahead of any of its contemporaries with the soundtrack, smooth-scrolling 3D dungeons, animated monsters, anime style cinematics, and very nonlinear game. PS2 - also legendary for one of the best and most distinct settings and storylines in an RPG of the era, insanely challenging dungeons, great aesthetics.

Seeing PS1 for the first time at a friend's house in 1990 blew my FF1 loving mind away, bought a Genesis next year for PS2 and 3, and eventually 4. SEGA's biggest crime of all time is turning the series into an online hack-slash game.

Enk

makes good threads.
Here's some Phantasy Star eye candy which I stole from one of my posts from another Phantasy Star Anniversary thread that was made recently. Hopefully this will spike the party's punch a little.

ps4charanigif10_2x.gif
ps4charanigif7_2x.gif
ps4charanigif6_2x.gif
ps4charanigif5_2x.gif
ps4charanigif1_2x.gif

Phantasy Star

ps1mega.jpg
Phantasy_Star_box.jpg

1141359420-00.jpg
ad1.jpg

psii.gif
1120510300-02.png

1120510301-00.png
Alisa_Landeel.png

Phantasy Star II

psiic.jpg
1058557131-00.jpg

1037804376-00.gif
1037804399-00.gif

1037804480-00.gif
1037804492-00.gif

Phantasy Star III

424px-Phantasy_Star_III_cover.jpg
ps3.gif

1037807244-00.gif
ps3r.gif

1037807315-00.gif
1037807378-00.gif

Phantasy Star IV

250px-Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg
1023515925-00.jpg

1037800729-00.gif
1037801064-00.gif

ps4i.gif
1037800866-00.gif

Misc Pics

ps4jp.jpg
ps4art23.jpg

cower.jpg
ps4art10.jpg

Iceman

I want a square-enix-ized scale remake of Phantasy Star there I said it.

My favorite game ever. Too many memories.

camineet

Banned
ps1mega.jpg

I always wanted that incredibly rare MegaDrive re-release of PSI.

it wasn't enhanced though, and it might have lacked the FM sound that the Mark III version had.

<3

I found some awesome remixes of Phantasy Star songs at OCRemix, I recommend:

WantaPhanta
BurntMota
DezorisWinter
Millenial

Excellent remixes from very memorable tracks from 1, 2 and 4

camineet

Banned
KingofKings said:
<3

I found some awesome remixes of Phantasy Star songs at OCRemix, I recommend:

WantaPhanta
BurntMota
DezorisWinter
Millenial

Excellent remixes from very memorable tracks from 1, 2 and 4

Dezoris Winter is amazing!

Souther

Banned
Awesome!!!

Phantasy Star is my fav game of all time, and the Phantasy Star series is fav series of all time.

Happy 20th!

JCX

PSO is one of my favorite games, so I got phantasy star collection for gba. I got preety far in PS, but stopped playing and forgot where I was when I started again. PS2 was just confusing and hard, and I didn't really try PS3 for long. I don't think they are bad games though.

God that claw Rika is wearing in the JPN PS4 art is so awesome looking.
You could get a similar claw in PSO but it was a mega-rare drop and claws sucked. =/

Vrolokus

Banned
My favorite series ever, but my god: Sega was really commited to giving the Genesis games the worst possible box art possible. And then, as if that wasn't bad enough, they put the $80 PSIV in a flimsy cardboard box with a black and white manual. Jeezus.

I still hope Sega will pull their heads out of their collective ass someday and make a proper PSV that's true to the series. Persona 3 proves there is an audience for very Japanese RPGs with an anime aesthetic.

Or at the very f-ing least, bring the Sega Ages remakes of I and II to the States already.

camineet

Banned
Vrolokus said:
My favorite series ever, but my god: Sega was really commited to giving the Genesis games the worst possible box art possible. And then, as if that wasn't bad enough, they put the $80 PSIV in a flimsy cardboard box with a black and white manual. Jeezus.

I still hope Sega will pull their heads out of their collective ass someday and make a proper PSV that's true to the series. Persona 3 proves there is an audience for very Japanese RPGs with an anime aesthetic.

Or at the very f-ing least, bring the Sega Ages remakes of I and II to the States already.

Phantasy Star "IV" The End of the Millennium cost $99 when it was released in the United States, in February 1995 (yea 1995, not 1994) well over a year after the Dec 1993 Japanese release. indeed it was cheap to get a cardboard box, a b&w manual and no hintbook.

Vrolokus

Banned
camineet said:
Phantasy Star "IV" The End of the Millennium cost $99 when it was released in the United States

It might've been $100 some places, but I have a pretty clear memory of getting it at Best Buy (or some equivalent) for $79.99 right around launch.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Man, the way Sega has SMEARED this series through shit-stained mud, hurts. It by no means the most violated franchise Sega's ruined in recent years, but it's the one that hurts me the most. :/

GhaleonEB

Phantasy Star was the game we bought our Sega Master System with, and was my first RPG. The 3D dungeons, difficulty and openness of the quests if what I remember most. I can still hum all of the music, from the towns to the overworlds, combat, even end boss. The rapid piano music from the big dungeons is still one of the most vivid tunes to ever wedge itself in my brain. The dungeons, animated creatures and combat backgrounds and vehicles were pretty incredible for its time. Still a fun game to play.

I can trace my fondess of 3D dungeon crawls back to this game, which led me to Shining in the Darkness, Shining the Holy Ark, Sword of Vermillion and, more recently, Oblivion (which I still think of as a giant dungeon crawl).

The only games from the series I've played are PS I-III. I still mean to track down PSIV some day.

camineet

Banned
Vrolokus said:
It might've been $100 some places, but I have a pretty clear memory of getting it at Best Buy (or some equivalent) for $79.99 right around launch.

most people remember $100. I called TRU, 2 Babbage's (there was no GameStop at the time) and 2 EBs, they were all selling it for $100. maybe BB had a discount.

Top Bottom