• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th Birthday Crash Bandicoot!

alexbull_uk

Happy birthday Crash!

My earliest gaming memory and still some of my favourite games ever. Shame the remasters weren't ready in time for the anniversary, but I'm looking forward to playing them next year.

ZarKryn7

Crash 2 and CTR will always be close to my heart.

tumblr_nme64yfVVn1s1rpgbo1_500-1434999458.gif

tumblr_mw3jzihaVq1sjv7jdo1_500.gif

Happy birthday, Crash! I especially loved Warped, CTR and Twinsanity.
CTR has the best kart racing physics of all time. Extremely impressive for Naughty Dog's first racing game.

Playsage

Happy birthday, orange furball!
Man, how time flies I was like 4 when I first played Cortex Strikes Back and these goddamn games are still fun!

My thanks go to Naughty Dog, Andy Gavin, Jason Rubin, Mark Cerny and Josh Mancell!

Zebei

Fun fact, it's my 20th birthday as well.

CTR was my second game and easily one of my most played when I was a kid. Love Crash and would love to see his revival keep him back into modernity.

I really should replay 2, 3 and CTR since I replayed 1 recently. Such awesome games.

pixelation

I just realized that the remakes will (most likely) come out with a PS4 Pro mode, i really hope they utilize the extra resources available for more eye candy when running in 1080p mode.

Marakh101

Neo Member
Not sure if posted yet. this article is great. Some very cool quotes from Gavin and Rubin about the hustle during the early stages of creation:

"Crash Bandicoot' at 20: An Oral History"

There was another moment where Universal, our producer at the time, was going to take over the project and diminish Naughty Dog's role. This was after Sony had already picked up the title and would act as a publisher. We were told we weren't allowed to go to E3, the character would be renamed to Willie the Wombat, and other ridiculous things.
I remember taking the eight people who worked at Naughty Dog and walking into the vice president of Universal's office, saying the game is unplayable right now and we'll need to make builds, and we're going home if you don't do the following: This is a Naughty Dog production. Naughty Dog's name is going to be on it and is going to be involved. The name is Crash Bandicoot. That's the name we want. You can make your decision right now. We won.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/crash-bandicoot-at-20-an-oral-history-w438911

Nepenthe

Crash Bandicoot 3 was my lifeblood at the time it came out. I spent countless hours playing and replaying stages for all of the crystals, doing my best at the time trials, and recounting and humming the music, all until I wore the disc down with sheer overuse. And it wasn't just me; my brother and my mom played the game along with me. It was one of the family games we had, along with other titles like Mario, Sonic, and Halo. Even to this day, me and my brother will just randomly quote Dingodile's opener during his boss: "Bring on the butter. We're gonna make toast!"

So here's to you Crash, and let's hope that your remakes lead to a new age.

Top Bottom