• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th Birthday, One Piece!

tenor.gif

The One Piece manga has been around since July 19th, 1997!

I must say, I was at first skeptical to watch/read One Piece around 7 years ago when I was looking for another anime to occupy my time.
There were just SO MANY EPISODES/CHAPTERS...

I'm so glad I looked past that minor obstacle and proceeded to enter a world like no other.

One Piece is special to me in so many ways. It really got me through some dark times in my life, believe it or not.

But enough about me, here's to the Pirate King and his nakama!

Damn, 20 years? That's awesome!

I really want to get into it, but like you were I'm just daunted by the amount of chapters.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Been reading since 2003. Still can't get enough.
Though I thought the 20th was on the 22nd.

The anime is trash though. It needs a remake.

I started with the anime, got hooked, then went back and started reading the manga. Unfortunately after 10+ years I am a bit tired of it and stopped reading after the Doflamingo fight. I might go back and finish reading One Piece whenever the thing actually ends, in another 10 years.

Clegg

I will forever defend Dressrosa. Didn't reach the heights of Water 7/Enies Lobby, but that's one of the all time great Shonen arcs. Dressrosa is still as good as any of the other OP arcs.

Zou/Whole Cake Island has been fantastic. There hasn't been a noticeable dip in quality throughout the series. Remarkable really

eXistor

I'm not normally one to comment on such things, but what they did to the character design of Nami and Robin is atrocious. They're just walking tits now. I stopped watching (not because of this btw) after about 70 episodes (it wasn't going anywhere I felt, like most of these types of anime) so I have no idea if their characters changed or not, but everytime I see shots of them I just start laughing, it's so bad.

mrmickfran

I'm not normally one to comment on such things, but what they did to the character design of Nami and Robin is atrocious. They're just walking tits now. I stopped watching (not because of this btw) after about 70 episodes (it wasn't going anywhere I felt, like most of these types of anime) so I have no idea if their characters changed or not, but everytime I see shots of them I just start laughing, it's so bad.
Nami actually wears clothes now, so there's a start.

Malajax

Happy 20th birthday! Been reading/watching in some form since about 2003. It was terrible what 4Kids did to you so 8 took a break and came back with a vengeance in 2007. Currently 6 months behind in the manga and about 200 episodes behind in the anime. Recently started binging the anime again. So many feels.

When it's all said and done, One Piece will probably be the greatest shonen manga ever written. Here's to another 10! I don't think I can read another 20 years lol

Maximo

The Time Skip made them worse.

Ratrat

I quit the anime during Thriller Bark(I felt burned out after the filler arc right before.)
But while I enjoyed it, it was the greatest anime ever. Still love the cast. Especially Luffy and Chopper.

Congrats Oda!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I will forever defend Dressrosa. Didn't reach the heights of Water 7/Enies Lobby, but that's one of the all time great Shonen arcs. Dressrosa is still as good as any of the other OP arcs.

Zou/Whole Cake Island has been fantastic. There hasn't been a noticeable dip in quality throughout the series. Remarkable really
Yep, great series all around.

Modern anime pacing is a real shame, especially in Dressrosa. The anime has such good voices/music.

Kyne

tumblr_og50kox8xY1v2pt3so1_500.gif

we're about halfway done with the story, ya?

the GOAT manga. Can't wait to have a library of the collection someday.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Congrats, but Oda..

f3c.gif

You need a hiatus. That mustn't be healthy. Same with Toei.

That's why he takes a break every 3-5 weeks.
He overworked himself once, they don't want that to happen again.

bigkrev

I've put in the effort to know that this really isn't for me (i've read the first 60 volumes and decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to keep forcing myself through something I really wasn't enjoying), but I'm happy for people who love it.

I'm going to be really curious to see what happens 20 years from now with the series. Will it be like Dragonball and have a continuation that Oda is only mildly involved in? What the hell does Jump do once the series is over? ect.

VariantX

Been reading since 2003. Still can't get enough.
Though I thought the 20th was on the 22nd.

The manga needs to be finished first, then they can address the pacing problems brought on by having to constantly stop for months just so the manga can get ahead.

dani_dc

I've put in the effort to know that this really isn't for me (i've read the first 60 volumes and decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to keep forcing myself through something I really wasn't enjoying), but I'm happy for people who love it.

I'm going to be really curious to see what happens 20 years from now with the series. Will it be like Dragonball and have a continuation that Oda is only mildly involved in? What the hell does Jump do once the series is over? ect.

Unlike Dragon Ball, Oda seems to planned out a story that he wants to tell.

I expect Luffy story to be over by the end of the series.

At worst we'll have a "Boruto" kind of situation where another author will write a story about a new generation within the same world.

It happened to DB and Naruto, so it's almost guaranteed One Piece will be continued in some way.

GhostBed

One Piece has been a big part of my life for the past several years. I still think it's great, and I cannot agree with the people who think the quality has dipped. It's as good as it ever was.

Happy 20th!

This guy gets it.

SigSig

One of the very few long-running shonen manga that's actually good. Great, even. Hardly any declines in quality.
Been hooked ever since I've read the first chapter.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
They lost me at dressrosa. Convoluted mess. I'll probably watch it soon but OP needs to end.

20 years of Zoro being the worst SH

go sanji
Sanji is trash and will always remain the half-assed wannabe right hand man that Zoro actually is. Zoro also has girls into him without trying, while Sanji tries while taking Ls. His own
family doesn't even like him

Based on these mathematical equtations

itMcsy5.gif

Sanji is a bum.

On a different note, congrats to Oda!! Completely deserved and will end up being the one who has the best selling fiction of all time by the time he retires. Great consistency in his writing and some of the best world building and backstories you see. Prost.

Tizoc

Happy 20th Anniversary~
Thanks for bringing us the great God Usopp and may his mighty pirate ways be remembered for all time.

LotusHD

Banned
My most favorite piece of media ever. Somehow, some way it has been consistently good for 20 years, never once having a major dip in quality for me (Lol if people think the TS arcs qualify as such), and never had me feel like I couldn't wait for the manga to just end already.

When this manga finally ends one day, it'll be a sad day for sure.

Congrats. Best selling manga in Japan for a reason. Haters can keep hating. Absolutely love one piece. Also mad hyped for tommorows chapter. Can't help myself but look at the spoiler every Wednesday and god damn I'm ready for it.

KyleCross

And after all this time we are still dealing with 4kids leftover bullshit with the official English volumes. I sure would love to own the volumes of a series I've been following for 12 years in my native language without having to read Zolo. FFS Viz...

Top Bottom