• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th Birthday, One Piece!

Happy birthday One Piece and congratulations Oda. Even with its faults this manga remains one of the greatest adventure stories created in our generation. I look forward ti seeing where he takes the Strawhat crew these following years.

Ninjimbo

Best story ever. Happy Birthday. I'm constantly amazed at how Oda keeps it coming even after 20 years. The quality has never dipped.

Mael

Happy 20th Bday to one of the greatest work of art!

Congrats. Best selling manga in Japan for a reason. Haters can keep hating. Absolutely love one piece. Also mad hyped for tommorows chapter. Can't help myself but look at the spoiler every Wednesday and god damn I'm ready for it.

You can scrap the 'in Japan' part, it's going to pass Batman by the time it's done (although I doubt it's going over superman though).

I've put in the effort to know that this really isn't for me (i've read the first 60 volumes and decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to keep forcing myself through something I really wasn't enjoying), but I'm happy for people who love it.

I'm going to be really curious to see what happens 20 years from now with the series. Will it be like Dragonball and have a continuation that Oda is only mildly involved in? What the hell does Jump do once the series is over? ect.
If things go according to plan, My Hero Academia is looking to replace One Piece as the #1 ongoing shonen once it ends. But that's if it continues pasts One Piece and has a solid foundation to keep the hype going, unlike Bleach.

Happy 20th anniversary!

One piece (literally) saved my life.

I was incredibly down and depressed a few years ago and came very close to offing myself, but one of the things that kept me going was that I wanted to read the end of One Piece. Nico Robin's arc over the sublime Water 7/Enies Lobby arc really resonated with me... that yeah, I had people who cared for me and I wanted to live.

And after all this time we are still dealing with 4kids leftover bullshit with the official English volumes. I sure would love to own the volumes of a series I've been following for 12 years in my native language without having to read Zolo. FFS Viz...

Hmm I was thinking about purchasing a few of the official Viz volumes today in an effort to get back into the series, is it just minor stuff like Zoro -> Zolo or are there more major issues with the translations?

LotusHD

Banned
Happy 20th anniversary!

I was incredibly down and depressed a few years ago and came very close to offing myself, but one of the things that kept me going was that I wanted to read the end of One Piece. Nico Robin's arc over the sublime Water 7/Enies Lobby arc really resonated with me... that yeah, I had people who cared for me and I wanted to live.

That's great to hear man!

Happy 20th anniversary!

That is great, man. One Piece is truly amazing, and I'm glad it helped you!

My favorite manga of all time, I haven't enjoyed Zou or Whole Cake at all really other than select people and moments, but Dressrosa and Punk Hazard I loved even with the glass and FI I was able to enjoy, so I can only hope the series gets back to that point eventually, Oda's more than earned the benefit of the doubt.

Too five characters are Luffy, Bellamy, Nami, Coby, and Gin btw.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

KyleCross

Hmm I was thinking about purchasing a few of the official Viz volumes today in an effort to get back into the series, is it just minor stuff like Zoro -> Zolo or are there more major issues with the translations?

I personally don't think a mistranslation of a main characters name is "minor." But to answer your question, that's most what it is. 4kids changed several names and terminology and for whatever reason Viz decided to follow suite, even going back to earlier volumes released before the 4kids dub and editing them for future printings. Despite the fact the 4kids dub ended a decade ago Viz continues with the incorrect names and terminology for consistency sake. Viz has also edited the actual art a number of times, but I don't know how much of that still happens.

Kyuur

Long live the manga
and hope for a remade anime before we're dead
!

Series went downhill after the Marineford Arc.

Before that it is the most funny manga i ever read

More like it went downhill with Marineford, and is back at its former heights now.

I'm just getting into One Piece for real (I've seen lots of episodes here and there though), and starting at Water 7 like everyone says too, but its still so daunting. I have a really weird relationship with this franchise though. It was the first thing I saw on television after waking up from the haze of a major surgery, and I've always associated it with being a really cheerful, effective escapism at difficult times, and always sought it out at those times.

Luffy is one of my favorite shounen protags for sure

arigato

Man, I remember vividly when I first caught One Piece on the television many years ago. Always will fondly remember that opening and the memory is also associated with pineapple fruit smoothies which I drank at the time.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm just getting into One Piece for real (I've seen lots of episodes here and there though), and starting at Water 7 like everyone says too, but its still so daunting. I have a really weird relationship with this franchise though. It was the first thing I saw on television after waking up from the haze of a major surgery, and I've always associated it with being a really cheerful, effective escapism at difficult times, and always sought it out at those times.

Starting at Water 7? Who says to do that? Don't listen to those fools, Water 7 relies on your attachment to the crew that's been set up up to that point to be truly effective, and the change in tone means nothing if you don't experience the change

Who told you to start with Water 7?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
One Piece Burning Blood is on sale on PSN right now. As someone pretty unfamiliar with the franchise outside of the basic premise, is it worth a look?

Top Bottom