• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary, Kirby! Share your favorite Kirby games and memories <(^_^<)

maxcriden

Kirby-25th-Anniversary-534x300.png

On April 27, 1992, a very special game arrived on Japanese shelves featuring a brand new character, the gray puffball himself:

250px-Kdl1ussmall.jpg

Kirby!

Here is a commercial for that game that aired in the US in 1992: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU6cHCkWqy.

(Please listen to this delightful rendition of Green Greens whilst reading this post.)

Here is an early magazine scan of Kirby, still referring to him as Popopo:

Popopo.jpg

I have many fond memories of Kirby. As a child, I played many long hours of the seemingly unbeatable Dream Land, one of my first games. I remember my mother being concerned that keeping the Game Boy plugged in all day was going to hike up the power bill.

250px-Kirbydl2_boxart.jpg

250px-Kdl3.png

Then for many years despite the cover of Dream Land 2 and maybe 3 catching my eye I did not play any Kirby games, save for perhaps a rental of 64, but like many young gamers in the late 90's I did not appreciate the value of a 2D game when 3D worlds were now popping up.

tumblr_inline_obgyvvuCGk1tqmwkj_540.png

For many years Kirby fell by the wayside for me. When my wife and I got a Wii, we eventually tried out Kirby's Epic Yarn and it was so dumb, and so boring. Was Kirby meant to be quite this simple or tedious? Surely not.

250px-Kirby_Mass_Attack_cover.jpg

And yet, we evidently hadn't given it enough of a try, because one cozy winter a year or two later, after getting back into Nintendo and gaming more again - and after keenly devouring the wonders of Kirby Mass Attack - we tried out the game again and found ourselves entranced by its many charms and creative level design, delighted by its aural and visual qualities, and surprised with the significant depth and difficulty presented by the additional challenges. Since then we have immensely enjoyed many other Kirby games, most recently the delightful Robobot!

photoon9-14-14at10.50eokup.jpg

Pictured above: our cat Eli and his good friend Kirby.

Please share your favorite games, memories and OST tracks from Kirby.

(I'd be eager to hear about your favorite transformations as well!

latest

Magic I think is especially under-appreciated, featured in the very solid Squeak Squad.)

(And, if you want to discuss favorite Animal Friends as well, please do!

tumblr_m85zv0skyN1qhnz7po1_500.gif

tumblr_nfo78tDiHt1r7sijxo1_500.gif
)

Jawmuncher

Kirbys Dream Land is one of my all time favorite games. I loved how short and simple it was. Kind of wish the later games were more like it.

tumblr_inline_obgyvvuCGk1tqmwkj_540.png

For many years Kirby fell by the wayside for me. When my wife and I got a Wii, we eventually tried out Kirby's Epic Yarn and it was so dumb, and so boring. Was Kirby meant to be quite this simple or tedious? Surely not.

It's like I don't even know you Max.

One of the best games on the Wii.

My favorites were the spinoffs, namely Canvas Curse and Tilt 'n Tumble. Dreamland 1, 2 and Adventure all have the best aesthetic though. Nothing beats 8-bit Kirby art. Crystal Shards is also extremely charming with that low poly aesthetic.

Seik

Banned
My favorite and most memorable Kirby moment is the first one.

I got a Game Boy for Christmas the year before and got Kirby Dream Land on my birthday, I think I was 6 or 7 years old.

The hours I tanked in this game...yet it's so short, I was just enjoying playing it over and over again.

My favorite Kirby game is Super Star though, it's a legendary game that I will praise until my last day on Earth! :)

Kirby right back achya....was not very good. Though i liked dedede's voice. Super star is usually my go to but i have fond memories of 64. I think the main one for me and my favorite game is nightmare in dreamland for gba

TEJ

My favorite is probably the second game boy title and canvas curse.

I remember getting the first one as a birthday gift when I was a little kid. I was so excited to actually be able to beat a game! I think it was the first game I beat without outside help or cheat codes.

nothing beats kirbys fun pak. the best game ever. close second and third canvas curse and pinball land. both not really traditional kirby games though.
My favorite and most memorable Kirby moment is the first one.

I got a Game Boy for Christmas the year before and got Kirby Dream Land on my birthday, I think I was 6 or 7 years old.

The hours I tanked in this game...yet it's so short, I was just enjoying playing it over and over again.

My favorite Kirby game is Super Star though, it's a legendary game that I will praise until my last day on Earth! :)

the original was quite hard for me.. mainly because i was a little lad.. every kirby game thereafter was quite easy in comparison.

BriGuy

Kirbys Dream Land is one of my all time favorite games. I loved how short and simple it was. Kind of wish the later games were more like it.
My thoughts exactly. Just pure fun from beginning to end. You could replay it several times over without investing too much of your day in it.

I went on a mini-Kirby binge late last year to try and clear out some of my backlog. Played through Canvas Course, Mass Attack, Super Star Ultra, Squeak Squad, Return to Dreamland, and Kirby's Adventure. I've also in the past have played Dream Land, Epic Yarn, Air Ride, Crystal Shards, Triple Deluxe, and Rainbow Curse. So I'm pretty caught up on the series by now haha.

I still want to eventually play Planet Robobot, Dream Land 2 and 3, Amazing Mirror, and Nightmare in Dream Land, which I think would constitute the entire mainline series, unless one is slipping my mind.

Anyway, Kirby games are fun and I like how much variety there is in the series. Really no two games are completely alike. None are particularly hard, but there still are memorable moments and creativity throughout most of them. I think my favorite overall would probably be Super Star (Ultra), but I also really enjoyed Return and was greatly delighted by Epic Yarn back when it came out.

Jaykay

Obviously a lot of really good Kirby games, but I had a lot of fun with Kirby's Dream Course when I was younger. Quirky, but typically always fun.

Kirby's Adventure was the turning point for me in how it was the first time I could tackle a 2D platformer by myself. Much as I enjoyed the 3D adventures of Mario and Sonic, their 2D classics were always too difficult for me, and yet I couldn't get over how KA felt tailor-made just for me. There were still some tough spots, but it was just forgiving enough

Over fifteen years since I discovered it, Kirby remains my second favorite video game series of all time. While it's not afraid to get tough, I can hardly think of any other series that's this pleasant, and I admire its "anyone can reach the ending" philosophy more than anything else. That they're always able to melt my heart into goo renders them my Zen.

Currently, I'm addicted to Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and was recently obsessed with finding details about the anniversary concert in Japan. I was able to decipher enough info for a report here, but a Japanese showgoer uploaded an original song medley of what played. Agh, please let there be a CD release!

It's like I don't even know you Max.

One of the best games on the Wii.

For reals. Here I was all excited to share my interview with Tomoya Tomita (Epic Yarn's composer) from last month, but I guess it'll be too boring for maxcriden.

(Oh wait, you came around? Then here you go!)

t hicks

Banned
My favorite one will always be 64, but I have great memories playing Nightmare in Dream Land too :)

Also I remember liking Air Ride on Gamecube, though I'm not sure how well that holds up now (haven't played it since I was a kid)

TreIII

Gameplay-wise, Super Star and its DS upgrade still are tops for me. Yeah, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot have arguably surpassed it, but when you get it right so well the first time around, it still holds up, for me!

Gotta give love to Dreamland 3, too, though. I miss the Animal Pals and how each chapter in the "Dark Matter" saga just upped the ante each time.

Kangi

<('.'<)(^'.'^)(>'.')>

Hoping for good things from the mystery holiday title, since the 3DS eShop games don't quite do it for me. Planet Robobot was fantastic but I'm not sure how many titles in the same vein as this pseudo-trilogy of RtDL-3D-PR I'll stay all that interested in. Guess it didn't help that Rainbow Curse was disappointing.

Still holding out for an HD Kirby game starring the return of Zero bleeding all over your screen. Or Air Ride 2!

Oh yeah, favorite power? Parasol. Truly mightier than the sword.

Still bummed they took that out of Smash.

My first experience was with Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land for the GBA.

What's crazy about this game is that NOA never advertised it as a remake of Kirby's Adventure. I still recall 10-year-old me looking at screenshots on IGN and going "...wait, I recognize this!" Other folks didn't realize it the time it launched and took to GameFAQs to complain, lol.

Despite that and the birth of Angry Kirby, 2002 was an exciting time to be a Kirby fan. The anime was coming out (4Kids shenanigans aside) and you had that ill-fated media blitz to turn Kirby into the next Pikachu. I remember feeling very lucky I'd just gotten into the series at that point.

I had tilt and tumble on gbc. Played it and couldn't figure it out and when i did, I lost it at my mom's friends house. Such a unique game, really fun years later

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Kirby. I could write many words about this character, so I will keep it very brief.

The Kirby games I have the most attachment to are Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, and Kirby's Air Ride. My favorite classic ability is Cutter, and I loved feeling overpowered with UFO.

Random videos like this represent one aspect of why I enjoy Kirby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msr5pWmqIAo

What's crazy about this game is that NOA never advertised it as a remake of Kirby's Adventure. I still recall 10-year-old me looking at screenshots on IGN and going "...wait, I recognize this!" Other folks didn't realize it the time it launched and took to GameFAQs to complain, lol.

Despite that and the birth of Angry Kirby, 2002 was an exciting time to be a Kirby fan. The anime was coming out (4Kids shenanigans aside) and you had that ill-fated media blitz to turn Kirby into the next Pikachu. I remember feeling very lucky I'd just gotten into the series at that point.

Whoa, I had no idea Nintendo was pushing Kirby like that back then. No wonder those years were so great for Kirby media.

Nintendo, it's time for you to do it again! :3

woopWOOP

For a long time as a child I knew Kirby was a thing, saw that ghostly Gameboy boxart in magazines plenty of times, but I didn't actually move a Kirby around until Smash Bros N64. He could copy powers and his throw attack was shooting off into space and crashing down into the ground with an explosion, whaaaaat? Naturally I got curious.

So when I discovered SNES emulators were a thing, me and a buddy tried out Kirby Super Star. Some of the most fun I had playing co-op was during that time with that game. Said buddy also bought Kirby 64 after that. Game was more mellow, but I loved going through that 3Dish Kirby world.
After that I started buying every (non-spinoff) new Kirby game from then on and so far I haven't been disappointed. Played the older titles through 2nd hand copies and VC too. Kirby's Dreamland 3 I thought looked kind of dull at first, but some of the backgrounds in the later levels are really beautiful. The differing stage objectives are really fun too. I think that game also has my favourite OST actually. It's simple, but it's adorable.

As of now only Dreamland 2 and Mass Attack (the only spinoff I bought) are still on my to-do bucketlist.
Also mirror kirby is stupid cute (I got the plush) and Coo is cool

Getting my first gameboy and choosing Kirbys dream land with it.

Awesome decision I made!
Remember finishing the game on my way to holidays. I think I was around 6 years old

Favorite Game: Kirby Milky Way Wishes, I cannot express how much I love this game (although I guess technically it could be considered a game within a game?). I thought Marx was a great villain, and exploring the different planets trying to find the transformation portals was really fun. If I had to pick a ”full fledged" Kirby game, I would probably pick Kirby 64, or Kirby's Dream Land 2. Both of these games hold special places in my heart.

Favorite Memory: One of my favorite memories in the Kirby series would probably be when someone beats Kirby 64 without finding all the crystals. I remember seeing the cutscenes, and when the Fairy Queen eyeballed Ribbon and the crystal, I nearly lost my mind! I remember saying to myself ”Oh my God, she's evil or possessed or something!", and once going back and finding all the crystals I felt really accomplished.

Favorite Song: Hands down, Rest Area/Save Point from Kirby Super Star is my all time favorite song. I like the remixes Nintendo has put out over the years, but the Super Star version is my favorite. I do like Orange Ocean, and Bubbly Clouds from Super Star too. Quiet Forest from Kirby 64 is another one I like to listen to when I'm doing homework. Epic Yarn has one of the best Kirby OST's too, in my opinion.

Favorite Transformation: I have always like Beam Kirby, and Ice Kirby. I used to have a toy of Ice Kirby, and I loved displaying it proudly in my room. I also really liked Mic, seeing rock star Kirby was always my favorite part of that ability.

Favorite Animal Friend: Definitely ChuChu, I always thought she was so adorable! I also think the implied crush between her and Kirby is too cute! Rick is a close second though, I always loved using him in Dream Land 2.

Also, OP I totally respect your feelings on Epic Yarn. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would, but I still like it. I just thought it was stupid that you couldn't have a ”real" game over. I thought it took away from the challenge Kirby games can give.

One of my favorite franchises! Such a adorable, charming little series that never manages to get old. Waddle Dees are mankind's greatest creation.

b96.gif

OHrVhE.gif

tumblr_ner9bh45dM1se3groo1_500.gif

jonno394

My favourite Kirby memory was earlier this year when my 7yo niece came up to me excitedly to tell me that she'd finished Kirby on the nes mini i bought them. Was really a great moment :)

Dreavus

Awesome thread. I've been working on some thoughts for a robobot lttp thread but I might as well share them here when I get a chance. Kirby is such a great series.

Kyuur

64 introduced me to Kirby. I loved the ability to mix abilities.

Besides 64 I loved Canvas Curse (just right difficulty with collectables with a fantastic base concept), the original for NES on VC (the way the overworld was set up and the overall feel of the platforming, abilities) and Air Ride (awesome vehicle selection, City Trial is good fun in multiplayer and the free mode was probably one of my first experiences with RPing as a kid). Most of the other games never really clicked for me but I'd love to go back and maybe give them a try.

Rydoc12

Neo Member
To this day I still answer "what is your favorite game of all time" with Kirby Super Star. Kirby is just so darn cute.

They certainly are.

I always feel guilty swallowing/beating them up. :(

When me and my best friend first plated Kirby's Epic Yarn in coop, he killed the two Waddles in the first non-tutorial stage that are sleeping under the tree with a heart made out of beads above them. I'll never forgive him.

I own 6 different Waddle Dee plushes and 8 Waddle Dee amiibos. Send help.

Ninja is by far my favorite copy ability. It's not the best at anything, but it can do pretty much everything. It's too bad it isn't even in most games.

Stone is my second favorite for its invincibility.

Top Bottom