• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary, Kirby! Share your favorite Kirby games and memories <(^_^<)

Ninja Dom

My very first Kirby game was the first Kirby game 25 years ago and I played it on my b&w Gameboy. It was a good game.

But I haven't played any Kirby game that has got me in the sheer state of amazement as the best Super Mario, Zelda or Metroid games.

I still see Kirby as a B-Tier character and the games can be good but nothing amazing. What actually is the best Kirby game? Kirby's Pinball is probably my favourite.

EDIT: I wonder why they changed Kirby's colour from white/grey to pink for the second Kirby game.

I believe Kirbys Dreamland was my very first video game. I love Kirby, he is one of my favorite Nintendo characters and I'm glad he is always around with new games.

Also it's wild that every single Kirby game is good to fantastic? Talk about a track record.

AaronMT86

First experience with Kirby was seeing a screenshot like this in GamePro

51--Far6lgL.jpg

and then biking to my local game rental store here in Canada (MicroPlay) and looking for it under the display case to rent. Loved every moment of it.

Peltz

My very first Kirby game was the first Kirby game 25 years ago and I played it on my b&w Gameboy. It was a good game.

But I haven't played any Kirby game that has got me in the sheer state of amazement as the best Super Mario, Zelda or Metroid games.

I still see Kirby as a B-Tier character and the games can be good but nothing amazing. What actually is the best Kirby game? Kirby's Pinball is probably my favourite.

EDIT: I wonder why they changed Kirby's colour from white/grey to pink for the second Kirby game.

Kirby may not be as epic as Mario, Zelda or Metroid, but it's pure fun. It's the most arcade-like series of those four.

Kirby is like HAL's answer to Taito's Bub and Bob, but taken to much further heights with a much more diverse library of titles/experiments.

MouldyK

They need to give us a Switch Kirby already.

Dunno why they making a 3DS Multiplayer one for Winter.

Gimme BoTW but with Kirby, dammit!

Also it's wild that every single Kirby game is good to fantastic? Talk about a track record.

Air Ride got a 61 Metacritic...but the legacy of it has made it a favourite I suppose?

Sianos

Kirby Super Star was an amazing game, and Super Star Ultra is one of my personal favorite remakes: it retains the original in all its charm whilst enhancing it with further modes. Beating the Helper to Hero arena with every partner is quite the fond memory for me. <3

Dreavus

I was going to make a separate thread for this mini-review/impressions but might as well throw it in here since we're already talking about Kirby.

---

I finished Kirby Planet Robobot a little while back, and what a ride! Definitely one of my favourite Kirby games in recent memory, and kicked off a Kirby binge which resulted in tracking down both Superstar Ultra and Mass Attack on DS to play through next.

The game follows the general design of the other two Return-to-Dreamland era games (Return to Dreamland itself and Triple Deluxe): having Kirby fight through levels and bosses using copy abilities, with some hidden collectables and “powered up” portions to break up the action (the robobot suit in this one). I haven't finished Return to Dreamland yet on VC, but so far I think the robot mechanics out-do the "super" copy abilities. They're also a little more involved than the hyper inhale Kirby from triple deluxe. There's something cathartic about stomping all over whichever stage hazard was harassing you before you get the armor, and there are some fun little puzzles using the mech wrench and screwdriver to take apart the scenery.

Planet Robobot is a bit on the easy side for the main game portion, but that's fine IMO. Looking for secrets and experiencing the mechanics of each level is quite a bit of fun in it’s own right. I think they are doing a good job of continuously making the powers fun to use by giving them larger and larger move-sets in these games. You don't NEED to go crazy memorizing attacks or anything but it's fun for those who want to. Even for extremely simple powers like stone, you can do a dashing attack and a powered up large-stone attack or use the stone punch to mix it up, even though the primary purpose of the ability is to slide down slopes destroying everything as you go. They take it one step further with the boss-only sub-game adding even more nuance (now with a standalone version out); Hammer Kirby is super slow but very powerful, Sword Kirby can protect his allies, etc.

I’d just like to take the opportunity to say how pleased I am that the Kirby series has been following in Superstar’s footsteps for ability design rather than the simpler abilities from K64 (setting aside the combination aspect), Kirby’s Adventure, or Dreamland 2. It’s makes tearing through levels such a joy.

I checked my progress and missed only a few cubes (optional collectables of which there are 3 in each level) throughout the whole game one time through, which I think speaks to the difficulty again. Some were pretty cleverly hidden but overall they weren’t far off the beaten path in most cases. However I am missing a bunch of the "rare" stickers so there is still things to find. True arena is a bit of a difficulty spike but it's intended to be a post-game activity to challenge your skills. I died a lot on the final boss in there but it felt like the right amount of challenge.

I am a huge fan of Kirby Super Star, and the final sequence (and tons of details about the plot) had me so excited when they started revealing themselves. (last sequence/boss spoilers)
Kirby using his copy ability to take over the Halberd was ridiculous and awesome. When that last piece comes off the boss and it's NOVA ITSELF who attacks you with space junk and defends itself with heart shields... Man. So good. I never expected them to return to that character of all things. And that Drill buster QTE was straight out of a Platinum action game complete with a "turn tables" style theme and Kirby shouting “HIYAAAAAAA” to pump up the whole damn thing. Then in True Arena, getting inside NOVA and fighting the heart was another throwback so great that I honestly didn’t mind that “gotcha” final attack (that did, indeed, “get me” my first time fighting it).
This game felt like a homage to Kirby Superstar’s Milky Way Wishes in more ways than one, at least for what happens in the storyline, and I couldn’t be more pleased with how it turned out.

(slight Metaknight spoiler)
Great to see a nod to the old Metaknight crew in the game as well! I always thought it was weird that Metaknight seemed to be flying the Halberd solo for awhile there because you never saw anyone else on the ship since KSS, but here they are!

I also appreciate the level hints for the rare stickers. Such a small thing but it makes it WAY EASIER to hunt them down. I went back to Triple Deluxe and forgot that you get absolutely no hints for the keychains, meaning it’s a total mystery where the missing rare ones are hiding.

I am excited for the future of Kirby games. Each of the games starting with Return to Dreamland have been pretty significant improvements each time. It took me a long time to get back to these games but I’m glad I did. Kirby Clash Deluxe has been a fun diversion, but I’m very interested to see what’s next for the main franchise (as well as the inevitable “Kirby 3D Rumble Deluxe” stand alone game, the original of which was both way more fun and way shorter than it had any right to be.)

Kyuur

Spinoffs were my favorite too. Dreamcourse is still one of the best local multiplayer games ever made.

I have to add this to my list and make a correction, I think I actually played Dreamcourse before any other Kirby game. It really is fantastic.

cHinzo

First experience with Kirby was seeing a screenshot like this in GamePro

51--Far6lgL.jpg

and then biking to my local game rental store here in Canada (MicroPlay) and looking for it under the display case to rent. Loved every moment of it.
Kirby's Dreamland! That game was also my first experience with the Kirby franchise and I loved it. Never managed to beat the new game plus though. :(

Top Bottom