• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday Dreamcast 9.9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunonabi

So what's the best way to get one hooked up with a digital connection these days? Can't seem to even find a VGA box, even on Ebay. At least that would get me halfway there?

I bought a retrobit VGA box from Amazon not too long ago and it works really well for me. You might want to check if they still sell them.

I just realized that I have proper Ethernet internet in my room now which means I can use my broadband adapter again. Phantasy Star just died completely right? Is there anything else still running?

RedSwirl

About to pop in Tokyo Xtreme Racer for the first time in years. Still probably one of the most underrated soundtracks of the time.

Nikodemos

The candle that burns brightest burns shortest. Happy birthday to the first true "next-gen" (online gaming, webcam, motion control) console.

KageMaru

Some of my best gaming experiences ever in all my years of gaming. So many awesome memories: playing so many awesome arcade ports, my jaw dropping the first time I played Shenmue, connecting to my first online match of NFL2K1, being there day one when me and countless other people were discovering the world of PSO, and so many more. It's the one console I'll never sell.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Pulled out my old EGM covers

Cr83m8yWEAI1o_v.jpg:large
hoooooly shit i had that issue on the right and i haven't seen or thought about it in over fifteen years

IrishNinja

damn, really wish i still had my collection of official dreamcast magazines! ive a few issues about, but dying to find the rest on the cheap. those demo discs were a blast, too

Ooccoo

I still can't believe no one copied the Skies of Arcadia airship battles. I've seen one JRPG try it so far, but it was a pretty shitty game (Mugen something I think).

Daingurse

I still can't believe no one copied the Skies of Arcadia airship battles. I've seen one JRPG try it so far, but it was a pretty shitty game (Mugen something I think).

The still look pretty great. The battles have a real cinematic feel. And yeah, no idea why it hasn't been copied effectively.

chemicals

On 9-9-99 I took a ride with one of my best friends to go pick up his console and Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. I loved it so much that I bought one the next day. The DC was one of those great launches that I will never forget. We made trips to the mall to get Dead Or Alive 2 on launch day as well as RE Code Veronica. Good times.

schopaia

I bought a retrobit VGA box from Amazon not too long ago and it works really well for me. You might want to check if they still sell them.

I just realized that I have proper Ethernet internet in my room now which means I can use my broadband adapter again. Phantasy Star just died completely right? Is there anything else still running?

I've been looking for the retrobit since gamestop started selling Dreamcast again (a year?). It looks like they stopped making them at least a year ago - 1 listing on amazon for $130.

Daingurse

I've been looking for the retrobit since gamestop started selling Dreamcast again (a year?). It looks like they stopped making them at least a year ago - 1 listing on amazon for $130.

Holy shit. I bought this same VGA box for $20 in 2010. I think you're right about them being no longer manufactured.

Revolutionary for the time

Was extremely impressive back in the day. I remember being floored by the quality of the character models.

Ramune

Happy Birthday Dreamcast! I actually bought the Neo Geo Pocket Color on this console's launch day since that was all I could afford (and I doubt my parents would have been too happy with me, so I went with the smaller console ^_- ). But SO many memories. I still have the official US magazines (minus 1 or 2). I'll post my collection tomorrow, but seeing everyone else's makes me want to fire mine up! Sega was something else back then!

The best time of my gaming life.

First year of uni, a part-time job only while living at home, so just about the best blend of money and time.

I only had S Video cables and even that bles my mind. In my memory, it's HD gaming, even on a curved CRT! 'Shit, is Astaroth's jaw actually moving as he talks smack?!'

Paging Krejlooc...

I was a Sega kid and rented an import DC with Sonic Advenure, was absolutely blown away by it at the time. Power Stone, Soul Caliber, Ecco: Defender of the Future, Toy Commander, many good times were had. Also miss those demo discs that came with Dreamcast Magazine, dat Toy Commander Xmas level :p

lem0n

I played Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 today. I've been looking for that game for a long time! Found it at the used media shop across the street from my apartment for a good price. Im a happy camper :)

Daingurse

Just bought a copy of Rayman 2 off Ebay. I need to start fleshing out my collection lol. Really can't wait to see that game running at 480p/60fps.

I'll always remember seeing Sonic Adventure on Toys R Us and being depressed because I had no money to buy the Dreamcast with.

And because of that, I've bought Sonic Adventure so many times, and am ready to buy it again for Xbox One backwards comp.

thanks for the memories Dreamcast - first console i ever bought for myself.

[because i was finally 17 and living on my own, parents would never let me buy video game consoles]

Zafir

Still has a place in my heart. :(

My Dreamcast Collection is pretty small these days since I basically had to rebuild it when I bought another Dreamcast about 5 odd years ago. Managed to get back most of the greats, though. Besides some which were a bit too dear.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I will never forget that day best 1k I ever spent on gaming in 1 day. I remember going to gamestop every payday to pay off multiple pre orders during the summer. I bought over 10 launch games 3 extra controllers, 4VMUs and 2 Arcade sticks. It was great showing up launch day and skip the check out line they had my bags of loot ready to go.

Absolutely wonderful system. One I didn't appreciate as much as I should personally when it first released.

Just this year I had picked up a complete in box system, even had the SegaNet/Browser still in shrink wrap and copy of Shenmue to play again with VGA adapter, good times.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Man, I remember Dreamcast the most for arcade-perfect fighters, internet gaming and NBA 2K!

One day, I hope SEGA goes back to the console biz and we get Nintendo vs SEGA one more time. :D

Hawk269

Still the best console launch ever. Lines were massive, great games at launch, it was just fantastic. I had imported the Japanese Dreamcast shortly after it came out in Japan and I did not know a lick of Japanese, but that did not stop me from enjoying it. When the U.S. version came out I was in line with about 500 others and it such an awesome system. One of my favorite systems of all time...and I started with a Atari 2600 (which I still own).

Teknoman

Time to get it in.

This battle theme is so damn good, and music sounds so rich. All the music in this game is great!

Wasnt Skies the first RPG with dynamic boss battle music?

Also dont pour one out, its still thinking! Dreamcast still gets game releases to this day.

Mawarup

Neo Member
I was really young back then but I really did enjoy playing Sonic Adventure and a whole lot of Project Justice. A lot. I miss that series.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
To celebrate the birth of those who died too soon is a somber remembrance of an all too fleeting joy.

my most beloved console, such great memories <3

There was a great game coming out every other week, I loved it. The online was suburb and the browser was a godsend for a teenager

Krejlooc

Banned
This is the only console I've ever pre-ordered, and the only only console I got on day 1. 9/9/99 was a thursday, I got to skip school and pick up my Dreamcast, then got to skip school friday as well and had a 4 day weekend of Dreamcast.

I remember being floored when I first saw Sonic Adventure. It was like the jump from Mario on the NES to Sonic on the Genesis. Such an enormous leap, and one of my absolute favorite Dreamcast games. I played that game all weekend, even though I didn't pick up a memory card. I actually beat Sonic's story in 1 sitting.

poodaddy

Still my favorite console of all time; it was the equivalent of having an arcade in your home. I'm still holding out hope that Ill eventually find the hkt 7300 arcade stick for a decent price one day as it's the only thing my dreamcast command centers missing, well that and more games of course. I've been playing Capcom VS SNK 1 and Power Stone on it with my daughter lately so it's funny this thread popped up when it did :)

MetalSlug

Paging Krejlooc...

I was a Sega kid and rented an import DC with Sonic Advenure, was absolutely blown away by it at the time. Power Stone, Soul Caliber, Ecco: Defender of the Future, Toy Commander, many good times were had. Also miss those demo discs that came with Dreamcast Magazine, dat Toy Commander Xmas level :p

They also had a special summer themed Toy Commander level. Wish Toy Commander was on Steam :(

Brocken

Banned
Imported one from Japan so 9/9/99 means not so much to me, but the USA launch was incredible for the amount of great games.

I never forget the first time i seen Soul Calibur in motion, one of the highlight of my gaming career.

One of the greatest console ever, died young like a rockstar but grace us with an outstanding number of unforgettable games.

StayDead

Was playing Jet Set Radio yesterday.

I never had a dreamcast at launch, or infact the same decade. I got my dreamcast about 5 months ago and I'm glad I did.

So many neat games.

Raitaro

What a console and what a time in my life to be one of the few to have one!

I never came closer to any sort of professional career in the wider games industry as during the DC days, working in a Dutch independent games store (Replay games in Eindhoven for those that know it) while also studying Japanese translation in the hopes of perhaps entering some kind of localisation field. Much like the Dreamcast itself, this never panned out however, the job nor my studies / career plans.

Still, my memories of this little console that could will never leave me, nor the ones of my job and the fellow Japanese game fanatics I met there (including my boss, who was the first person I knew to import game OST's back then, which he ordered for me as well). It, in short, was the first console I 100% bought with my own money without being influenced by others, and the last console I bought that really made me feel like I was a games connoisseur of sorts as not many others had one but the few that did loved it dearly.

And the games! Sega was on a roll like never before here with Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, etc etc. And all those Capcom arcade games. Or Soul Calibur! Man oh man! (Weird though, that we never saw an Outrun, Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Golden Axe or Streets of Rage for the machine though - just imagine the possibilites for some of those in crisp DC 3D.)

Never before or since did I feel so connected to a console as to the Dreamcast. I'd fire you up right now if only I was at my mom's place where I'm keeping you safe, but alas.

A special final salute to my dear departed dad who somehow kept passing illegal copies of awesome games on to me as handed down to him by a colleague of his at work. This is how I got introduced to many games, all three SFIII games chief amongst them, a subseries I had little to no knowledge of existing before this actually despite my immense love for SFII and Alpha. Sadly, none of these copies work anymore for some reason...which might be for the best really (as I bought most of them officially afterwards anyway, except Shenmue for some reason...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom