• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday Dreamcast 9.9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTF

Greatest console launch of all time and the one I remember the most fondly picking up day 1.

Soul Calibur
NFL 2K
Sonic Adventure
Power Stone

Doesn't get much better than that.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
interesting that NA is the only region where VF3tb was not available at launch, including Japan which launched nearly a full year earlier. the NA release is the best version of the game due to better shadows and the inclusion of an isolated versus mode, though.

GeNoMe

One day too late. Happy birthday Dreamcast :'(
My humble collection
IMG_2942.jpg

Spacejaws

Celebrate it's birthday this week.

Mourn it's death next week.

I got one by trading one N64 NFL game for a Dreamcast, 2 controllers and 3 games (NWO, Powerstone and Soul Calibur). We were supposed to trade back but never did. Years later I found out the guy gloated about ripping me off and I'm not sure how he worked that out.

kunonabi

This is the only console I've ever pre-ordered, and the only only console I got on day 1. 9/9/99 was a thursday, I got to skip school and pick up my Dreamcast, then got to skip school friday as well and had a 4 day weekend of Dreamcast.

I remember being floored when I first saw Sonic Adventure. It was like the jump from Mario on the NES to Sonic on the Genesis. Such an enormous leap, and one of my absolute favorite Dreamcast games. I played that game all weekend, even though I didn't pick up a memory card. I actually beat Sonic's story in 1 sitting.

It's crazy how important Sonic Adventure ended up being for me. I was pretty much a Nintendo kid and wasn't that into anything SEGA did aside from dropping a quarter here and there in some of their arcade machines.

Then one day I went into my local anime/import game shop and they were playing Sonic Adventure. I was completely floored at that point and made the Dreamcast launch my highest priority and it went on to be my favorite console of all time. I probably would have gotten one eventually for all the arcade ports but still Sonic Adventure is probably one of the few games that single-handedly sold on me on an entire system.

To this day it's still my second favorite Sonic game after Secret Rings.

Ramune

Celebrate it's birthday this week.

Mourn it's death next week.

I got one by trading one N64 NFL game for a Dreamcast, 2 controllers and 3 games (NWO, Powerstone and Soul Calibur). We were supposed to trade back but never did. Years later I found out the guy gloated about ripping me off and I'm not sure how he worked that out.

Oh...yeah you definitely got the short end of that stick alright! ^_~

My Tiny Collection

Trojan X

Banned
I've been playing Dreamcast all week. Here's some VF3 thing I recorded last night.

giphy.gif

I absolutely LOVE this monitor for Dreamcast play.
NEC 71V.

Got my Dreamcast 11/22/1999. Not my favorite SEGA console, but lots of good memories with it and I still play it pretty regularly.

Love that VF combo. You are the man!

Been playing SEGA Rally and Virtua Fighter in celebration of 9.9.99. I love my Dreamcast.

One day too late. Happy birthday Dreamcast :'(
My humble collection
IMG_2942.jpg

Excellent solid collection! Such a shame that you don't have the godly Metropolis Street Racer (M:SR) in there though. I love that game - the most real city feeling you could ever get and that's largely thanks to the radio and real-time scheduled day & night let alone the replication of the cities such as Tokyo. Miss those music...

GeNoMe

Excellent solid collection! Such a shame that you don't have the godly Metropolis Street Racer (M:SR) in there though. I love that game - the most real city feeling you could ever get and that's largely thanks to the radio and real-time scheduled day & night let alone the replication of the cities such as Tokyo. Miss those music...

Thanks for the compliment, appreciate it!
I used to play MSR over at the game store where I used to work at. I'm not that much of a racing fan though, although I love playing racing games like Outrun or F-Zero.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you that MSR was far ahead of it's time when compared to other racing titels. And it looked gorgeous to boot. I'd probably snag me a copy if I would ever cross paths with one again.

I still can't believe I never played a Dreamcast before, let alone even held a Dreamcast controller. That console just blew right past me and none of my friends picked one up. I really feel like I need to pick one up to check out a few of the games that never got ported to other consoles.

Ramune

I still can't believe I never played a Dreamcast before, let alone even held a Dreamcast controller. That console just blew right past me and none of my friends picked one up. I really feel like I need to pick one up to check out a few of the games that never got ported to other consoles.

Those aren't good friends

/s
?
Definitely do so! So much fun to be had!

m00h

Banned
I think I'm gonna buy one for my birthday...always loved how it looks.

I also think about getting one. I'd love to see the Half-Life Dreamcast version running on it. That would probably give me the chills, since that's the only Half-Life version I've never played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom