• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Hardware) October 2008 NPD Predictions - Closes November 7 @ 8 pm

Rolf NB

[360] 316k
[NDS] 509k
[PS2] 171k
[PS3] 228k
[PSP] 222k
[WII] 707k

JoshuaJSlone said:
Even if we imagine X360 sold 0 units until the price drop took effect in September, its average rate of post-price-drop sales would be around 81K/week. Not sure why that rate would increase for month two.
It's October. When I look at the past few years, it seems typical for NPD October (4 weeks) to end up with roughly the same sales as NPD September (5 weeks), i.e. a 25% seasonal bump in weekly sales.
I'd agree that 400k+ is very, very optimistic though.

bcn-ron said:
It's October. When I look at the past few years, it seems typical for NPD October (4 weeks) to end up with roughly the same sales as NPD September (5 weeks), i.e. a 25% seasonal bump in weekly sales.
It's true that in general numbers are flat or not much down, but the same doesn't hold true if there was a reason for a September bump that will naturally be lessened as time goes on. Again going to last year, of course X360 couldn't maintain its unusually high September rate in October.

Walshicus

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's true that in general numbers are flat or not much down, but the same doesn't hold true if there was a reason for a September bump that will naturally be lessened as time goes on. Again going to last year, of course X360 couldn't maintain its unusually high September rate in October.
Last year's bump was due to software. This year's was due to price. You'd expect a price related demand increase to have longer legs.

But who knows? We'll see in a week or so.

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
A note to those who have predicted X360 at 400K or higher: Do you realize it didn't even do that well last year, when it still had the Halo 3 bump going for it? It went from a 528K September to a 366K October.

If you are referring to me, did I mention that I am going WILD this time ? Don't worry, there are still time to change it (if I ever think it is necessary), right ? :D

Sir Fragula said:
Last year's bump was due to software. This year's was due to price. You'd expect a price related demand increase to have longer legs.

But who knows? We'll see in a week or so.

Longer legs, yes. But the first month of the price drop is generally the largest (disregarding the holiday bumps which usually don't start until November).

The sales then tend to decrease to more of a steady state.

For instance, when the PS3 dropped price to 499, you saw the PS3 sales shoot up the first month, then gradually dwindle until the 399 PS3 hit last November.

FrankT

Looking at some of the overall numbers in the retail sector Mastercard in a report today stated a near 20% drop in electronics sales for the month of October. EA CEO also stated last week there has been a slow down in game sales during the time frame. I'm wondering how much the overall economic impact will have for the month in the sector. There have been a lot of quality games this month however so as a whole for hardware/software I would imagine it should still be up.

Zihark

[360] 450K
[NDS] 750K
[PS2] 250K
[PS3] 400K
[PSP] 370K
[WII] 850K
With these numbers, I'll either be nostradamus or so far outta it.

Top Bottom