• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Hardware) Official April NPD Prediction Thread - closes Friday May 9

AniHawk said:
I can see there finally being enough supply for the Wii in the States, but what makes the jump for the DS from 140k/week to 195k/week? Pokemon?

Well, we're nearing summertime and that's birthday season. Lots of rich parents target their sex so that they'll give birth in the summertime. My figures represent that.

And Wii is such a monster. At my retail store, we have a display set up to educate consumers and build hype for Wii Fit. These displays never get the attention of shoppers, but this one is getting so much attention that I might actually run out of pamphlets. Wii Fit is gonna be a monster. So I think people are gonna ramp up for that.

Also, lots of people are graduating from university right now, they're year is over. Pick up a DS for that road trip.

JaMarco

aztrex said:
Well, we're nearing summertime and that's birthday season. Lots of rich parents target their sex so that they'll give birth in the summertime. My figures represent that.
thats some deductive reasoning you got there/

Case said:
thats some deductive reasoning you got there/

Yeah well I can't tell if that's an insult or a compliment.

Hey, stranger things have happened when it comes to Nintendo sales figures. This year, the story was supposed to be huge software increases year over year. We've seen that, plus absolutely nonsensical rises in hardware.

The shit is officially real. My figures represent that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
[360] 310k
[NDS] 540k
[PS2] 150k
[PS3] 280k
[PSP] 210k
[WII] 580k

Culex

Banned
[360] 355k
[NDS] 575k
[PS2] 190k
[PS3] 300k
[PSP] 260k
[WII] 510k

It's a 4-week sales month for April, so slower sales compared to March. April is also traditionally a much slower month, too.

donny2112

[360] 270K
[NDS] 500K
[PS2] 152K
[PS3] 295K
[PSP] 200K
[WII] 600K

Probable PS2 price drop coming around E3 this year. Target had a $99 PS2 sale in February. TRU is having a $99 PS2 sale in May. The $99 price drop has to be coming this year.

Osuwari

[360] 300k
[NDS] 660k
[PS2] 190k
[PS3] 330k
[PSP] 220k
[WII] 600k

MK is not as big as SSBB so the bump shouldn't be that big.

Choke on the Magic said:
That's what I figured. Does GAF ever have Europe or Asia prediction threads or is that impossible to do accurately?

Seeing as we get weekly Japanese sales data and basically no information out of Europe, there's really no point in either case. Monthly is just right.

Culex

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
I see. Why 0 info from Europe I wonder?

No single entity that tracks all sales accross the multitude of European countries. NPD tracks US only, NPD Canada, Canada only. Media-Create / Famitsu, Japan only.

Far more complicated process for Europe.

Rolf NB

aztrex said:

<...>

Also, lots of people are graduating from university right now, they're year is over. Pick up a DS for that road trip.
Those factors would be the same every year, but historic figures show no signs of "summer birth" and "graduation" bumps. April vg hardware sales are usually somewhere between flat and a 10% decline from March, and likewise for May. April, May and July are the slowest months of the year, with some room for resurgance in June due to school holidays.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'm #2 for the year and plan to stay that way... or better.

[360] 250k
[NDS] 550k
[PS2] 175k
[PS3] 255k
[PSP] 225k
[WII] 825k

gtj1092

JJConrad said:

[360] 550k
[NDS] 550k
[PS2] 200k
[PS3] 475k
[PSP] 350k
[WII] 650k

Is there some type of ranking for these prediction threads? If so where can I find this to see where I stand?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
JJConrad said:

[360] 550k
[NDS] 550k
[PS2] 200k
[PS3] 475k
[PSP] 350k
[WII] 650k
Wow, 2.775m consoles in the month of April?

Narcosis

This is probably the hardest month to guess since I started participating. Way too many variables.

Here goes.....

[Wii]500K
[DS]600K
[360]375K
[PS3]335K
[PSP]230K
[PS2]180K

So, I guess you could say I'm betting on GTAIV to increase PS360 a bit, moreso for the 360 due to a lack of 80gig PS3s in stores. I'm taking my guess on Wii down a bit to the 500K range since I don't believe they diverted stock for MarioKart like I believe they did for Smash Bros. DS is still a beast. Same ol' same ol' for PS2 and PSP.

apujanata

I'm #11 for the year (much lower than JJConrad) and plan to get better.

[WII] 900k
[NDS] 600k
[PS3] 275k
[360] 250k
[PSP] 240k
[PS2] 175k

Top Bottom