• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmy's Despecialized Editions of the Original Star Wars Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

So we have this for the ultimate release of the original theatrical release of the OT, and Adywan's Star Wars Revisited (whenever it get finished ) for the ultimate Special Editions?

It's disgraceful that the best two versions of Star Wars come from non-Lucasfilm sources.

(._.)

Banned
This edit looks incredible. I'm dubbing it an official Star Wars cut since it essentially is one. At least more so than the blu ray releases. Still though, 1080p blu ray picture looks far more impressive than this.

NekoFever

Tobor said:
Looking at the OP, these are in H.264. Can they be added to iTunes without conversion?
I think the audio is all AC3 so you'll have to convert that. Handbrake can read AVCHD file structure natively, though, so it's easy enough.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm so happy this exists. The quality is so beyond the last time I saw the originals (VHS) that I don't even care if it's not a perfectly mastered new blu-ray. It's quite acceptable for the HD generation. I love that I'm watching 70s/early 80s sci-fi movies again... that's what I want Star Wars to be.

EDIT: Mos Eisley feels like a spaghetti western setting again... so awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
xbulletholes said:
sorry to be that guy but how can i watch/extract the .iso files on a mac without burning to disc? of course i always could burn them but it'd be rather counterproductive, haha.

mount it as a drive, and then go into the folder structure. MakeMKV should read the .index file and let you export an .mkv file (no transcoding, just a re-wrap)

Or just copy the .m2ts files in the BDMV/stream folder and rename them from 0001.m2ts. VLC/plex will play them fine.

Paulathon said:
It's abandonware?
Which was always just a rationalization of piracy, not trying to be preachy or anything. I just found it funny when some treated it like a legal doctrine at times over the years.

Kind of like the fake/non existent "Berne Act exception."

I've never been a die hard Star Wars fan but as a fan of film in general it kills me that we can't get the original unaltered version on Blu-Ray. If someone digitally altered a film I truly loved like Rear Window or Bonnie & Clyde I would lose it so I really feel for the die hard Star Wars fans. I'm almost convinced Lucas is just doing this so a few years down the line he can release "The Classic Version" on BR and rake in the money.

I still remember getting the original trilogy on VHS tape when I was a kid for Christmas. What a great year that was.

Zing

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I'm so happy this exists. The quality is so beyond the last time I saw the originals (VHS) that I don't even care if it's not a perfectly mastered new blu-ray.

VHS has less than 200 lines of resolution. Cave paintings would look higher quality.

Quick

Banned
Can I also get instructions via PM? Or the links without going to the forum mentioned in Harmy's original post?

Rich!

Zing said:
VHS has less than 200 lines of resolution. Cave paintings would look higher quality.

Surely not PAL though? PAL has more lines than NTSC.

edit: yeah,
The horizontal resolution is 170 lines per scanline, and the vertical resolution (the number of scanlines) is the same as the respective analog TV standard (575 for PAL or 486 for NTSC).

Horizontal resolution is shit yeah, so your point still stands. However my PAL star wars VHS's are still better than the equivalent American ones - however, the trade off being that ours run faster. Which sucks.

Zabka

electroshockwave said:
Would be possible to get this in a format I can watch on my unhacked PS3?
Burn the folders to a dual layer DVD using UDF 2.50. I used ImgBurn, Star Wars and ESB worked fine.

ETA: This is referring to the 720p AVCHD versions. There's also DVD versions.

Zabka said:
Burn the folders to a dual layer DVD using UDF 2.50. I used ImgBurn, Star Wars and ESB worked fine.

ETA: This is referring to the 720p AVCHD versions. There's also DVD versions.
2yuhzc8.jpg

mattp

i'm not really sure, i haven't really tried playing the mt2s files on my computer. i just burned them to dvd9's
i'm sure you could easily rip it out of the container and make an mkv or something. it's just h.264 video i think

NekoFever

You can also open the folders in Handbrake and convert them to a more portable format.

Most decent Blu-ray players can handle AVCHD discs, so if you have some dual-layer discs you can burn them and watch them that way.

mattp

ChoklitReign said:
I was just researching dual-layer DVD-Rs last night. Should they work with any modern DVD-RW drives and DVD players?
the issue isn't the physical disc, it's the content on it
while you're burning it to a blank dvd, it's not actually a dvd in the same way one you buy at the store is.
it's a lot closer to a blu-ray, really.

but either way, point is you need a blu-ray player haha.

Anth0ny

So, Harmy is aware of our little operation and is trying to join GAF and start posting. But we all know about the wait, so posting this for him since he's waiting for his account to be activated.

-HARMY'S POST BEGINS-

Gvaz said:
I like what he's doing but the quality still looks bad compared to this:

inSCK9oMas6pz.jpg

Get back to me when they're in 1080 :D

Hello there. I'm happy to see that people outside of the OT.com forum are enjoying my edits :)

Now, I know they're not quite as good a quality as the Blu-Rays but I think they definitely don't look bad compared to them.

Here's the same shot from DeEd upscaled to the same resolution for comparison:

00000m2tssnapshot003308.png

There is of course more compression (which in this case is more prominent and noticeable in a still picture) but in terms of detail, there isn't really much of a difference, so I'd agree that it looks less good than the BD but I wouldn't say it looks bad compared to it.

And if a different picture was chosen, like those in post 240, there would probably be almost no difference at all (except that mine would have better colour ;-D ).

Also Ady's purist edit should be pointed out to those who complain about the music additions and stuff.

-HARMY'S POST ENDS-

Thanks Harmy!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Harmy: Thank you! These are so awesome. This is the version I will show to newcomers to the series.... not this week's Blu-ray release.

linkboy

Watching Empire right now and its 100% awesome. Totally replacing my 06 DVDs that I have.

I'll probably get the Blu-Rays for the PT movies, but I'm totally satisfied with these versions for the OT movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom