• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hartley Sawyer fired from "The Flash" after old tweets resurface

EaAoOVcXkAA4cvV

When The Flash returns for Season 7 in 2021, it'll be without one series regular. Harley Sawyer, who played Ralph Dibney/Elongated Man on the series, has been fired. The move comes after several old tweets from Sawyer surfaced, containing racist and misogynistic messages.

The news comes from The Hollywood Reporter, which notes that the tweets were from before Sawyer joined the show. While his account has since been deleted, screenshots of the offensive tweets have been passed around online. According to THR, a 2012 tweet from the actor read, "The only thing keeping me from doing mildly racist tweets is the knowledge that Al Sharpton would never stop complaining about me." In another, he wrote, "Date rape myself so I don't have to masturbate."

In a statement from The CW, Warner Bros. TV, Berlanti Productions, and The Flash showrunner Eric Wallace, those behind the show said, "Hartley Sawyer will not be returning for season seven of The Flash. In regards to Mr. Sawyer's posts on social media, we do not tolerate derogatory remarks that target any race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, or sexual orientation. Such remarks are antithetical to our values and policies, which strive and evolve to promote a safe, inclusive, and productive environment for our workforce."

Sawyer has also spoken out, apologizing for his tweets. In a post on Instagram, he wrote, "My words, irrelevant of being meant with an intent of humor, were hurtful, and unacceptable. I am ashamed I was capable of these really horrible attempts to get attention at that time. I regret them deeply. This was not acceptable behavior. These were words I threw out at the time with no thought or recognition of the harm my words could do, and now have done today."

edit

updated with tweets

sawyertweets.jpg

source for tweets (you can zoom in to see better here) https://bleedingcool.com/tv/the-flash-star-hartley-sawyer-fired-for-racist-misogynistic-tweets/

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
A whole three seasons of story/character development thrown out for this, lol. What are they even going to do with Sue?

Well, good for him anyway. Flash post-Crisis has been absolute bottom of the barrel, and the general Arrowverse is a laughingstock, especially with Arrow ending.

Only problem is, he'll probably never get work anywhere ever again. : \

A whole three seasons of story/character development thrown out for this, lol. What are they even going to do with Sue?

Well, good for him anyway. Flash post-Crisis has been absolute bottom of the barrel, and the general Arrowverse is a laughingstock, especially with Arrow ending.

Only problem is, he'll probably never get work anywhere ever again. : \

Progress™

Teletraan1

Banned
Don't try and become an actor after being an edge lord years back. None of those tweets are offensive, just childish and moronic. It will probably give the show runners a chance to make the elongated man into a trans person instead. They probably wanted to anyway but they had already hired this guy.

Nymphae

Banned
Has a bit of a propensity for anti-woman jokes doesn't he. I feel like these are basically Anthony Jeselnik style jokes. Does he still work or have they canceled him yet?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Check this out. I have over 92K Twitter followers and now random people who don't even follow me are screaming at me to "do better" and Tweet what they want me to Tweet or not say anything at all:

How many rape jokes did you make before 2014 and how many times have you tweeted about BLM in the last 5 days?

Thaedolus

Check this out. I have over 92K Twitter followers and now random people who don't even follow me are screaming at me to "do better" and Tweet what they want me to Tweet or not say anything at all:

Well? You gonna do better or not?

On topic: I could write better jokes than this edgelord when I was 12, but did he really need to get shitcanned over this? JFC

DKehoe

Very. Alongside Grant Gustin's Flash as a major component of the show, and with as much screentime as the OG cast members.

Damn. Big move to make then. It's maybe dumb stuff to say but none of it actually seems to carry any malice.

Having that many followers and people tweeting at you must be exhausting. Glad I can enjoy obscurity.

Also why are they mad at you over something like that? "Do better" over pointing our a trailer release pattern for the thing you cover?

ManaByte

Also why are they mad at you over something like that? "Do better" over pointing our a trailer release pattern for the thing you cover?

Last Tuesday everyone blacked out their accounts and didn't post anything. Sites wouldn't run stories, and thus made no ad revenue last Tuesday. Now they want #blackouttuesday to be a permanent thing where you can't post anything or say anything unless it's broadcasting important voices.

DKehoe

Last Tuesday everyone blacked out their accounts and didn't post anything. Sites wouldn't run stories, and thus made no ad revenue last Tuesday. Now they want #blackouttuesday to be a permanent thing where you can't post anything or say anything unless it's broadcasting important voices.

Ohhhh I thought there had to be something else to it. if it bothers them so much then why are they tweeting themselves? If no one was meant to be posting then what were they doing on Twitter?

Absolutely ridiculous and further proof of what a shit show the entertainment industry has become.

The guy was perfectly cast and the most consistently entertaining part of the show.

Having met him a couple of times, I can also vouch for him being a genuinely humble, kind hearted, friendly and genuinely enthusiastic guy that very obviously gave a toss about the show, his role in it and doing his best to make the fans happy.

The fact his whole career has been ruined over some old and utterly harmless jokes should be criminal.

Top Bottom