• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvey Weinstein Forced Out of His Own Company

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Good. Now bury his ass somewhere, pave it over, and never let him crawl back.

hqdefault.jpg

D i Z

He earned that rep. Let him feel it now, and everyone that went along with it because he was top dog.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I wonder how many potted plants he jerked off in before he left the building.

Hollywood still gives standing ovation for child rapists, why force out Harvey? He fits right in their hypocrite rotten culture.

Glad to see the culture is changing.

As long as the entertainment industry exists, the culture will never change. This is delusion. Wannabe actresses are always accosted by sleazy media executives in that business. It is a tale as old as the industry itself, so much so that it's in of itself a movie/tv cliche.

I'm content that the board took financial interests above keeping HW onboard, but the dude made such a cultural impact in the movie business and with his philanthropy that this'll all be brushed aside months later after the fact because "he produced Pulp Fiction".

Guys that influential and big in that business don't easily go away. It took decades of payoffs and threatened lawsuits for someone to have the courage to speak up publicly. The only thing that would lead me to believe the industry is willing to fix itself is if there were less payoffs and more candid information to law enforcement.

Fuchsdh

Karma's a real bastard. Good riddance, I say. Hopefully the Weinstein Company shakes this off and stops manhandling its projects the way Harvey did.

And yeah, I didn't expect a response this acute either. He's a snake in that business, so he should know how to dodge this kind of damage.
Or he’s dodged it as long as someone can. Even if you’re rich and connected, this stuff can catch up to you.

Good move by the board, and I give some credit to the people who resigned beforehand.

D i Z

The other interesting one would be Kevin Smith.

He'll be surprised, but he's a dude that has watched his daughter under threat and has been getting his head around a lot of these situations recently. He'll be heartbroken about it. Not sure what he'll say though.

Thank you, Harvey, for giving us such unforgettable talents like Tom Hooper and Michel Hazanavicius. You won't be forgotten
you disgusting piece of shit

The company has an unfortunate name for those still working for them
Apparently they are changing the name https://www.thewrap.com/weinstein-company-expects-change-name-harvey-firing-exclusive/amp/ The Oscar Bait Film Company, may I suggest?

To the posters above: I bet Tarantino and Smith knew about some of these incidents . They are way too close to the guy to not know.

He doesn't want to put foot in mouth.

Tarantino does not give a single fuck about putting his foot in his mouth, I am dreading what he might say while doing the press rounds for his next movie when inevitably asked about this. Best case scenario is either no comment or he gets angry at whoever asks because he doesn't want to talk about it, if he actually denounces him and calls out that behavior for being gross I'd be shocked.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Thank you, Harvey, for giving us such unforgettable talents like Tom Hooper and Michel Hazanavicius. You won't be forgotten
you disgusting piece of shit

Apparently they are changing the name https://www.thewrap.com/weinstein-company-expects-change-name-harvey-firing-exclusive/amp/ The Oscar Bait Film Company, may I suggest?

To the posters above: I bet Tarantino and Smith knew about some of these incidents . They are way too close to the guy to not know.

What if they just call it the Bob Weinstein Co.?

TDLink

Glad to see the culture is changing.

Not really. IMO, this is just something Bob utilized to seize complete control of the company.

It's a unique situation, not an indicator of a larger trend. That said, I do believe the up and coming generation is going to be a lot more clean than the older scandalous one (but maybe I'm completely wrong about that).

Yeah, it really feels like this is his brother's opportunity to kick him out and take over the company, as well as saving the company from complete failure. Not some moral action against his behavior.

Well, his attorney resigning certainly says a lot about her career, especially if she negotiated any number of the out of court settlements.

Not really. IMO, this is just something Bob utilized to seize complete control of the company.

It's a unique situation, not an indicator of a larger trend. That said, I do believe the up and coming generation is going to be a lot more clean than the older scandalous one (but maybe I'm completely wrong about that).

No I really think there is a pretty clear split between what was considered normal in Hollywood even 15 years ago and what happens today. These old assholes are on their way out, the new version of the industry is driven way more by standard corporate rules and regulations and metrics.

Ok, so he still profits from the company, just isn't part of running it anymore?
if the company were profitable, sure.

The Weinstein Company was founded on a big pile of loans, not VC. They've had some pretty lean years lately, and there have been competitors (lower budget films for adults, prestige pictures and such) entering their space and doing better than they did. Harvey has been a toxic bridge burner for years now (sleazy life aside), what's gonna kill his company is now that indie films that the major studios don't release now don't have to resort to The Weinstein Company to be seen, they can sign up with A24, or Neon, or Annapurna, or STX, or The Orchard, or Entertainment Studios...

The point being, Weinstein's company doesn't have a promising future, a very crappy present, and its heyday is pretty far back in the rearview mirror.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is so weird. I've known that Harvey was a piece of shit for decades and I've never been an insider.

TDLink

No I really think there is a pretty clear split between what was considered normal in Hollywood even 15 years ago and what happens today. These old assholes are on their way out, the new version of the industry is driven way more by standard corporate rules and regulations and metrics.

Yes, I agree with you. What I'm saying is Harvey being ousted doesn't really have to do with that and just has to do with Bob wanting complete control of the company. And thus this ousting isn't an indication of any larger trend.

That said, a lot of the people in charge 15 years ago (or close enough to the top) are still in charge now. It's going to be another decade or two before you see a complete shift. Ie, I am sure there will be more stuff coming out of the woodwork about different people.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hollywood still gives standing ovation for child rapists, why force out Harvey? He fits right in their hypocrite rotten culture.

By bringing it up like this, you appear to be applauding them giving a standing ovation for a child rapist and asking them to do the same for a chronic sexual harasser.

Hey guys, how about we hold off on slandering people like Tarantino and Smith until they, you know actually say what some of you are assuming they will.

Madness

But the people that aided and abetted him are still there

This. People have known about Weinstein for years. Just because it is now out there means what? That they didn't let him get away with it, do nothing, or hell even take part probably.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My wife was mentioning this to me earlier. I honestly didn’t expect this. Good.

I hope Weinstein never recovers.

DeathyBoy

Banned
He'll be surprised, but he's a dude that has watched his daughter under threat and has been getting his head around a lot of these situations recently. He'll be heartbroken about it. Not sure what he'll say though.

Dude was in the Miramax inner circle, bitterly split from then, and has said nothing about this. At best he's in the "didn't see it, but I heard rumours" camp.

Hey guys, how about we hold off on slandering people like Tarantino and Smith until they, you know actually say what some of you are assuming they will.

They were LITERALLY Harvey's boys. In Down and Dirty Pictures both talk intimately about how Harvey is. Book must've been hit with mega "do not publish that story" threats, which is terrifying given what it does publish is fucked up.

Unless the man does actual time for this, I don't think he'll feel too bad considering the severance package he must've gotten (in addition to what probably already was a massive fortune).

They were LITERALLY Harvey's boys. In Down and Dirty Pictures both talk intimately about how Harvey is. Book must've been hit with mega "do not publish that story" threats, which is terrifying given what it does publish is fucked up.

I don't think it is is fair to them to judge them for Harvey's personal indiscretions (putting it mildly).

Budi

This is something, the least that could happen. He will be more than alright though, I can only hope he feels even a tiny bit of remorse and not just because he got caught. Hopefully this would also be a wake up call to some others that the behaviour is anything but appropriate or atleast that they can also be caught and they should stop the shit they are doing. Money and power will not always hide and keep someone protected from everything, this is a message that needs to be seen more often.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't think it is is fair to them to judge them for Harvey's personal indiscretions (putting it mildly).

I'm judging them for not speaking out. Smith bills himself as a friend to women and a straight shooter, but he's said nothing. And I stick by the viewpoint that morals should always trump finances, when shit like this is involved.

I'm judging them for not speaking out. Smith bills himself as a friend to women and a straight shooter, but he's said nothing. And I stick by the viewpoint that morals should always trump finances, when shit like this is involved.
I really don't think there is any onus on them to come out and speak against what are allegations at this stage.

By bringing it up like this, you appear to be applauding them giving a standing ovation for a child rapist and asking them to do the same for a chronic sexual harasser.
That's an interesting take. Perhaps one who would make such an interpretation would have no clue what the word rotten means? Really dude?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This won't truly hurt him. It won't prompt him to question where his next meal is coming from. But it will humiliate him. I'll take it.

Folks should be asking why there's so much silence on this from Hollywood. It's because half those peeps knew all about this shit.

Ridley327

I see it is time for another Hollywood petition.
I doubt very much that you'll see anywhere the amount of support from filmmakers, especially with the contentious history that Harvey has had with them. Scorsese sure as hell won't be on that list.

Sadly, with as little chatter we've heard about it already from that community, I fear that silence and waiting for a bigger national story to make this quietly go away is the likely outcome. I don't doubt for a second that a lot of execs with similar baggage are only upset that Harvey managed to get caught.

Top Bottom