• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has 343 Industries redeemed themselves with Halo:MCC

forrest

formerly nacire
I've been playing the Halo series since day one and I absolutely loved Halo 4. No redemption needed imo.

jesu

It's funny but I'm not sure what else they actually did do, aside presumably from all the production work and operations behind the scenes.

Saber handled Halo 2: Anniversary's campaign, Certain Affinity did its multiplayer, Ruffian handled Halo 3 + 4, and as far as I know, Halo: CE is unaccounted for.

Yeah I'm getting my balls chewed for that opinion.
Watch the vidoc!You weren't there man!
You prove what they didn't do!

Meh, they designed the user interface that connects the games.Big wowee.
Get back to me when they make a great game.

EGM1966

Porting over someone else's work doesn't redeem you.
I thought Halo 4 was poor, so Halo 5 will be telling as to whether they can do more than create beautiful environments.
This. Halo 4 wasn't terrible but it was weaker than original MC trilogy and revamping the better earlier works gives no indication they'll di better with Halo 5.

JLeack

Banned
I've been playing the Halo series since day one and I absolutely loved Halo 4. No redemption needed imo.

I'm a total Halo noob. I never owned an Xbox until the Xbox One, and only when I bored an Xbox 360 two Summers ago to play Halo 3, Halo 4, and Halo: Reach did I get what all the fuss was about.

Halo 4 stood out as a great game to me. It is definitely the most intuitive and best-looking of the bunch. The only real complaint I can personally understand is that it was missing some of the Halo spirit, whatever that might be.

TLDR: As a Halo noob Halo 4 was a fantastic experience.

Source

I can't fathom how people could think Halo 4's campaign was worse than that of 2.

You can't be serious. It's not even comparable.

I can. Better level design, encounters and gameplay. That'll do it, you know?

Edit: Let's not forget the significantly better story Halo 2 had over Halo 4.

Lingitiz

Halo 4 was disappointing as hell, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since it was their first game on an accelerated development time. It'll be interesting to see what they do with a normal dev cycle.

I don't understand this.

It's easy. Instead of each weapon having their own personal unique sounds, they made the pistol, SMG, BR all sound the same by making just loud with little difference between them.

They also butchered the plasma pistol charge and release, once again removing it's uniqueness and just making it loud.

The package is great, no doubt.

But that doesn't mean shit if Halo 5 is still bad, and with some of the changes they've made with Halo 2 Anni., its not a great sign

Killer

Banned
Why? Just because you like Halo more doesn't deny the fact that there are other collections that had great value.

GoW is one of my favorite Sony franchises. If not my favorite. but comparing the two is just laughable.Does it include a remake? a massive MP component? You don't have to be fan of either to see the difference.
and let's not forget the fact that the entirety of MCC is integrated... not bound by a simple menu
and this.

New002

I don't think Halo: MCC is where they "redeem themselves." That would be up to Halo 5. That being said, I'm not one of the ones thatHATED Halo 4 so I'm not looking for them to redeem themselves anyways. I'll be there for Halo 5 :)

No; why would it? All they did was go and make some HD remakes, which have been done by plenty of studios. Of course the Halo 2 remaster took an extra bit of effort though. The only way they can redeem themselves for me, is to make Halo 5 not be shit. Hopefully with a beta coming out a year before release they'll be able to use community feedback to get out an kinks.

Computer

343 must have a tremendous amount of trust in Halo 5. In a few days they are going to let 2 pro Halo teams play it live on on twitch for the first time ever. I am pretty excited. It could be amazing or crash and burn live on the internet.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GoW is one of my favorite Sony franchises. If not my favorite. but comparing the two is just laughable.Does it include a remake? a massive MP component? You don't have to be fan of either to see the difference.

and let's not forget the fact that the entirety of MCC is integrated... not bound by a simple menu

Kinyou

343 must have a tremendous amount of trust in Halo 5. In a few days they are going to let 2 pro Halo teams play it live on on twitch for the first time ever. I am pretty excited. It could be amazing or crash and burn live on the internet.
I'm sorta worried that the graphics will not be much of a jump considering that they seem to be pushing for 1080p and 60fps

An HD remake, even one that is probably awesome, doesn't even come close to proving 343i can make a really good new Halo game.

And Halo 4 may not be a bad game, but being a bad Halo game matters more than being a competent CoD clone.

Not at all. They are redoing bungie's work. Yes it's not a copy/paste job or a simple port but all they are really doing is taking a formula that everybody loved and making it again.

Halo 5 is where they have to prove themselves. They aren't just going to reuse the past formula for multi, they will be taking their own liberties like they did with H4. I personally don't trust them at all.

Computer

I'm sorta worried that the graphics will not be much of a jump considering that they seem to be pushing for 1080p and 60fps

Have you seen the Halo 5 armor? It looks mind blowing good. 343 made Halo 4 look next gen. I think we are in for a good show.

Yeah, that's one of the craziest parts of the package. All of the games, fully unified in one central UI that runs all of it. Playlists that include each game's multiplayer maps and campaign missions and the rivals mode and selecting an achievement you want to hunt down only to have the game set up the right lobby and settings to set you up.

Besides that you'll have what seems to be an actual ending to Halo 2 and throughout, a story and character setup for Halo 5.

The whole damn thing, on every level, is so much more than a handful of HD ports.

Not at all. They are redoing bungie's work. Yes it's not a copy/paste job or a simple port but all they are really doing is taking a formula that everybody loved and making it again.

Halo 5 is where they have to prove themselves. They aren't just going to reuse the past formula for multi, they will be taking their own liberties like they did with H4. I personally don't trust them at all.

I hope that is not the case but it will probably be the case. I liked SP, but MP is what we play the most and it was garbage.

Etnos

Banned
I like Halo 4, no need to redeem anything for me. Plus they have plenty of ex Bungie key talent alongside really high profile-experienced devs.

Halo 4 hate is the most overblown game hate in the world, and I have been with this series since Halo 1. If Halo 4 is the worst Halo we will ever get, man Halo is a quality series.

it's great value and wonderful for fans, but when they deviate from bungie's work you can see the gulf in craft

a microcosm is this comparison of the gun sounds from halo 2 and the mcc version. the subtle, memorable rings of the originals just made as loud as possible for no reason. clumsy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmkDAlzQMUE
Nostalgia aside, I don't mind most of these changes(except the Energy Sword and Rocket Launcher).

I think it was a good decision to overhaul the sounds. The sounds shouldn't contrast the updated visuals of the weapons.

Mugatu

I don't think they need redeeming - Halo 4 was a good game just my least favorite Halo campaign and I am still bitter over losing Firefight. And I also hate Palmer and the Prometheans but I hated the Flood as well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Never played Halo 4 so I can't tell if they need to redeem themselves but putting out a collection of games not made by them doesn't really impress me that much, no matter how amazing said collection might be.

I just don't see how somebody could "redeem" himself by just remaking something that was already good. That's like saying "Capcom has redeemed the RE franchise by remaking the Resident Evil 1 remake"

M_A_C

The Halo MCC will change the video game landscape as we know it. It's as if Cupid himself shot an arrow into our collective gaming buttocks.

While I see that your excited, I think you may be underselling it a bit. The MCC will change the World as we know it. It's as if God himself send us this game to insert directly into our collective gaming buttocks.

If Halo 4 is the worst Halo we will ever get, man Halo is a quality series.
Couldn't agree more with this.

I loved my time with Halo 4, especially the multiplayer crazy enough (I'm a campaign and co-op kinda guy), but I can understand the complaints. Still, while Halo 4's campaign is near the bottom for me, I'll take a *bad* Halo over almost any other shooter any day of the week.

Hopefully they bought a copy of "How to create cool alien weapons for dummies".
343 staff should play Halo CE every day until they have an epiphany. If your weapon is "pretty much an X" it has no place in the sandbox. CE had a small selection of unique weapons that each had their perfect place. Sometimes less is more.

RoKKeR

Could not care less to be honest, 60fps is the best decision 343 has made with Halo to date and I'm glad they are sticking with it.

I think the Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer stuff looks really nice, and if it's an improvement over than then I'll be more than pleased.

Couldn't agree more with this.

I loved my time with Halo 4, especially the multiplayer crazy enough (I'm a campaign and co-op kinda guy), but I can understand the complaints. Still, while Halo 4's campaign is near the bottom for me, I'll take a *bad* Halo over almost any other shooter any day of the week.

I do think the way they handled the community needs to be improved, quite a bit actually, but the way they seem to be engaging with the community so far with Halo MCC gives me encouragement.

They will redeem themselves if Halo 5 is a better game than what 4 turned out to be. Re-releasing well-loved games from another studio using better hardware to make it run better is not redemption. If anything it's a testament to the impact Bungie's games have had and still have that people want to play that halo and not 343's.

Top Bottom