• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has 343 Industries redeemed themselves with Halo:MCC

The most exciting part about this collection for me is the fact that people finally will realize that the halo 4 campaign is actually the best one.

Santar

People sure do get eaten up by the hype.
The collection isn't even out yet, how on earth are people supposed to judge it before they even play it?
Who knows how the ports have turned out, there could be unforseen glitches or other problems. And as for 343, there aren't actually any new games here, wait for Halo 5.
Take it easy and wait a little before eating up the hype.

hatchx

Banned
MCC is the one game right now having me itching for an Xbox one. I love the co-op campaigns in halo and I never played halo 4. It's honestly just about worth the 350$ price tag alone. If reach and ODST were included I'd cave.

But then I practice self control and realize I can't afford it :s

Servbot24

Banned
They didn't design anything in these games (except 4 obvs). Anybody can update graphics with enough money. MCC is in no way a test of 343. They'll actually have to use some creative muscle on Halo 5, that will be their test.

Bungie started the whole ability bullshit with reach, the balance went then... And destiny crucible is worse than the lot.

Armour lock, Sprint etc.
They screwed halo multi before 343 did, and they also thought forge maps in multi was a good idea.

Halo 4 isn't near as bad as people make out, and the ign halo 4 footage reminded me of some pretty good maps.

I'll be mostly playing 2 and 3 in MCC, but I'll play halo 4 multi, and I'm looking forward to the campaign.

Till I play the Halo 5 beta and it satisfies me with the direction Halo is going in the future?

Nope.
Same with me. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the MCC and what they've put in that package is an awesome value. Getting to play Halo 2 for the first time just the way it was in 2004 has me so pumped for this.

As good as the MCC looks though, those aren't 343i's games. The beta for Halo 5, and the game itself, will be what decides if 343 can be redeemed.

iMax

You just don't realise how much work they have put in to the user interface!

It's funny but I'm not sure what else they actually did do, aside presumably from all the production work and operations behind the scenes.

Saber handled Halo 2: Anniversary's campaign, Certain Affinity did its multiplayer, Ruffian handled Halo 3 + 4, and as far as I know, Halo: CE is unaccounted for.

MCC is mostly technical work. I just hope this help 343 to revisit the Bungie's Halos compare them to 4 and make a better game.
Still think 4 has the best story of the series.

To be honest, I never played Halo 4. By the time the game came out I was in tech school and I spent most of my time on PS3, but I did hear good and bad things about that game. I'm excited to try it for the first time in the MCC. Other than that, it seems like 343 has a passion for the Halo franchise and this collection shows that love immensely.

danwarb

They played it safe with 4 and it was as good a Halo as Reach. I like the direction the story is taking even if the presentation in-game wasn't great. It will no doubt get better.

MCC is fantastic though, and the people at 343i made it happen.

I'm just glad to see the Halo community beaming with light again. I've always been fond of 343 and I hope the lessons they've learned from H4 will help make Halo 5 the best game possible.

EvB

I thought halo 4 was good..

Don't think they needed redeeming , they had he weight of the world on their shoulders taking over Halo.

I think they've done something amazing for fans with this collection, I was totally incredulous about the initial rumours they would port all 4 games.

driver116

What by remastering a bunch of games? No. They made easily the worst Halo aside from ODST. Maybe 5 they'll redeem themselves.

abadguy

Banned
What by remastering a bunch of games? No. They made easily the worst Halo aside from ODST. Maybe 5 they'll redeem themselves.

ODST was one of the best Halo games, and by "worst Halo" if we are talking single player, that "honor" would go directly to Halo 2.

There was no redeeming even necessary in the first place. Halo 4 is, to me, the best and most enjoyable Halo game I've ever played.

meppi

The most exciting part about this collection for me is the fact that people finally will realize that the halo 4 campaign is actually the best one.

Nope, not even close. I've replayed and completed every single Halo game except for Halo 2 about 2 years ago and 4 is by far the worst in the series.
The whole campaign was just boring and lacked something that the others had in spades.
Great encounters, well thought out set pieces and a good flow. Even though the other games have their own issues in certain sections, Halo 4 never got close to hitting the same highs as Bungies games.
The graphics were brilliant as was the artistic design, but the game itself was a huge letdown.

They've redeemed themselves by releasing old games made by somebody else?

As well as outsourcing the bulk of the porting work. Truly the only way to redeem a company these days! ;)

ODST was one of the best Halo games, and by "worst Halo" if we are talking single player, that "honor" would go directly to Halo 2.

I can find myself in that as well. Actually, I've never even finished Halo 2, not even back in the day on the original Xbox. Was such a letdown after the stellar 1st game. ODST bas brilliant in it's own way. My favourite soundtrack as well. Such a haunting atmosphere.

Source

I know opinions are like asses and all, but man does it ever feel like people are trolling when they say Halo 4 was the best Halo or a good game. I just can't fathom liking it over 1-3. Liking it more than Halo: Reach? Sure, I can get that, Reach was awful, but not by much more than Halo 4 was.

Kinyou

I hardly consider it the best one, but I recently replayed it and it somehow was way better than I remembered it.
Yeah people are completely overhyping the MCC.
People know exactly what they will get, so not sure how they could overhype it.

I don't know about redemption but I fully expect Halo 5 to rock the world. 343 won't have the growing pains they once did.

And the Master Chief Collection is the finest love letter to a game series and its fans that I've ever seen. Really looking forward to a heroic run-through of all four in order.

Christmas is in November this year.

Yeah people are completely overhyping the MCC.
Not even slightly.

I don't think it's overhyped. Basically the best collection since Orange Box.

Yeah no.

7707117356_3d18c9a4f9_o.jpg

I have a feeling this collection will sell 2-3 million, ending up being the best selling game on the X1 by the end of the year. Weird that a remaster would = redemption though, I think I will have to test H5 at a friend's house to see what happens.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I thought H4 was a great first effort.

That said, the way they are handling MCC makes me have more faith in H5.

Still don't like the H5 announcement trailer though.

it's great value and wonderful for fans, but when they deviate from bungie's work you can see the gulf in craft

a microcosm is this comparison of the gun sounds from halo 2 and the mcc version. the subtle, memorable rings of the originals just made as loud as possible for no reason. clumsy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmkDAlzQMUE

Jesus, that's fucking horrible.

I thought H4 was a great first effort.

That said, the way they are handling MCC makes me have more faith in H5.

Still don't like the H5 announcement trailer though.

They aren't even developing H2: A or the multiplayer.

Why are people giving "more faith" to something they have minimal involvement in?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Porting over someone else's work doesn't redeem you.
I thought Halo 4 was poor, so Halo 5 will be telling as to whether they can do more than create beautiful environments.

abadguy

Banned
I know opinions are like asses and all, but man does it ever feel like people are trolling when they say Halo 4 was the best Halo or a good game. I just can't fathom liking it over 1-3. Liking it more than Halo: Reach? Sure, I can get that, Reach was awful, but not by much more than Halo 4 was.

I can't fathom how people could think Halo 4's campaign was worse than that of 2.

You can't be serious. It's not even comparable.

Top Bottom