• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Activision shot themselves in the foot with the MW Remastered paywall?

Catvoca

Banned
There is a simple answer, something I think many people overlook.

This game has been in development for 3 years, before AW or BO3 came out. They had no idea there was going to be a backlash at the time and even when it started to crop up, they sure as hell couldn't turn the ship.

I feel like people seem to forget that these games aren't developed in one year. Even before the change, the games were on a two-year development cycle.

Good post, this point is often overlooked.

I think the crux of the issue is that the people really angry about the bundle are the people who've already disliked Activision's practices for years. My perspective as a consumer is "Yeah that's kinda shitty but I'm kinda more interested in IW anyways so this is kind of a bargain" (The Digital Deluxe offer).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Speak with your wallet. Yes, you want the game but you don't need it.

Battlefield 1 is coming too and that looks far superior anyways. No offense. Wait, yes offense.

Even after years of being told how big COD is as a franchise, people on these forums still cant conceptualise how big it is. At this point a COD is an event, no different from the playoffs or the superbowl. The vocal minority might not be happy, but the game is going to sell gangbusters.

Well I haven't bought a cod since blops2 so this year won't be any different. Saying that though, I would've most likely bought the remaster had it not be; £70, incomplete, and still be using the same ugly engine they've been using for years.

I've seen a lot of people voicing their opinions in forums and videos, with some ultimately saying they'll buy the game anyway... Okay then, but don't complain in the first place, as it clearly doesn't bother you if you intend to still buy it.

If your an Amazon Prime member it is $63 with Modern Warfare. Making it only a $3 upgrade. Thats probably how ill get my hands on it. Or not, who knows. Depends on if Infinite Warfare is good or not.

Also Modern Warfare 2 limited edition came with Call of Duty Classic Remaster. It was exclusive up until they released it on its own months later. Theres no reason to believe they wont do the same thing with this one. They've done it before.

I was interested in Modern Warfare Remaster but im not going to buy it for 80 bucks with that Infinity Warfare garbage. I can wait.

Speak with your wallet. Yes, you want the game but you don't need it.

Battlefield 1 is coming too and that looks far superior anyways. No offense. Wait, yes offense.

Lol yeah 14 years ago. To each his/her own. Have fun playing in the mud and riding a horse. I'll be snapping robots' necks in space.

I'm bummed MW isnt standalone but it's a bonus for me as i'm equally interested in IW.

shanafan

I am equally as excited for Infinite Warfare as I am for a MW:Remastered.

COD has always delivered for me, and come November, will just be as excited as I normally am.. and maybe a little more because I will be getting two new COD games instead of just one :)

omonimo

Banned
A lot of people are quite convinced it's not. Personally I will wait before to say something. Surely it's not a good publicity and could have some negative consequences. I don't think 80 $ it's exactly a good deal for the customers.

Morinaga

My bet is they fuck up the Remaster of Modern Warfare anyway, somehow.

I'd really like a HD remake of Modern Warfare, but I just wouldnt feel good about having to purchase IW deluxe or whatever editions to get it. Ill just buy something else instead.

I guess if its a totally messed up remake and they sell it seperatly at some point, Ill have fair warning so I dont spend my hard earned cash on crap. So errrr...... I guess... thanks for that Activision????, cos I probably would have pre-ordered MW against my own own good sense, digitally as well. Phew, that was a close one.

I'm getting the Legacy Edition for 90 euro. Selling the IW disc for 70 to my cousin as thats cheaper than RRP here and keeping the MWR code. Going with BF1 then. That's my shooter plan for the rest of the year.

I'm getting the Legacy Edition for 90 euro. Selling the IW disc for 70 to my cousin as thats cheaper than RRP here and keeping the MWR code. Going with BF1 then. That's my shooter plan for the rest of the year.

I'm almost positive you will need the IW disc to access Mwr.

Scrawnton

I was in for $80 modern warfare remake, but now that BF1 is a thing, I'm going to wait until the remaster is released on its own.

Nah. People will buy it anyways since it's COD. Honestly since they're forcing people to buy the bundle to get the MW remaster it'll probably increase sales if anything.

Nah man, they'll make their investment back plus a nice thick juicy profit.

This game is a sport to many people and the MWR is just icing on the cake

This seems like the kind of thing that deeply offends people who spend all day getting angry on video game message boards. The average COD fan is going to pay their $80 in November if they want MWR, or $60 if they don't, and not give it a second thought.

No, because the entire point of it's existence is to drive people to purchase the $80 version of IW.

Then, a few months down the road, after it's served it purpose, they get to release it on it's own for $40 and look like heroes.

This is pretty anecdotal but I talked with some friends over the weekend about Infinite Warfare, and none of them felt hyped for it at all. The conversation just kept being "I want Modern Warfare Remastered, but I don't wanna buy IW just to get it." It gives me the feeling that Activision putting MWR behind IW is a really bad decision that could potentially cost them sales. A lot of them. Shit, people could switch over to Battlefield 1 entirely because of this move.

Are you still interested in MW Remastered, or do you think it's just not worth the trouble anymore?

they'll pay.

The End

I was going to spend $60 on the CoD game this fall.

Now I'm going to spend $80 on it.

Mission accomplished you son of a bitch.

MK_768

I've seen people say that they'll likely release a standalone version so I wonder would this debunk the idea of having to open up IW to get to the MW remaster?

Therefore, the way we get the remaster is with a code to download it allowing consumers to just sell back IW.

Not really. People will bitch now but they will buy it in the end anyway.

Were going to see so much of this shit again. Watch IW turn out to be on the the best CODs in years. We havent even seen the multiplayer and we know thats the main reason the majority of people buy/play COD.

COD4: MW came out in 2007. Thats 9 years ago.

According to this well over half of Call of Duty players are under 27.

So theres a good chance a larger percentage of buyers have never played Modern Warfare 1 before or have even heard of that.

So for them 2 full Call of Duty games for $20 more than usual = a great deal.

#justsayin

According to what? Where are you getting this information?!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Good lord, for all the bitching it's pretty much a given that the MW will eventually be available as a standalone at some point.

And who knows? Infinite Warfare could end up being a halfway decent game.

Who am I to tell one of the biggest publishers in the world how to do their job? But hey, I'll give it a go.

Do I think MW Re-mastered (MWR) behind a paywall reduce the sales numbers of Infinite Warfare (IW)? No. A 'boycott' would never be on a big enough scale. If IW doesn't sell as many copies as previous COD's, it will have little to do with MWR.

Will it increase sales of MWR? Likely, yes. With it included with every 'upgraded' copy of Infinite Warfare, it will be one of the biggest 'selling' games of the year. A standalone re-master would have done well for enthusiasts, sure. But I don't think it would outsell the 'latest' COD.

Had they sold separately, would Activision sold more copies of both games combined? Possibly. And this is where it gets most interesting.

You will notice the one question missing is: Will MWR included increase the sales of IW? Of course it will. People will buy IW to play MWR. They will. Activision know it. You know it. You may not, but lots of people will.

Activision could have done this one of many million ways, which I am sure they explored in great detail. People with far more information than me have likely run all scenarios. One option I am pretty sure they didn't consider was launching BOTH games at the same time independently. The reasons for this should be obvious (cannibalization of their market).

I am guessing they looked at the following:

Alternative 1: Full re-master of MWR.

- A full re-master. All maps. All missions. Everything.
- Extra/New content. A new side story. A spin off campaign
- Released in Holiday 2016
- Full retail price
- No 'new' COD in 2016

Give MWR the spotlight it deserves, not just an added pre-order/paywall bonus. It would sell to enthusiasts, but what about people wanting something fresh? A bit of bolted on content would be nice, but is it enough? Battlefield is releasing the same time. Risk is losing mind/market share to a competitor.

Alternative 2: Same re-master, released in H1 2016.

- Same re-master we are getting, limited maps etc.
- Released before E3, so sometime between March-June
- Budget retail price of c$40
- IW releases as planned in Holiday 2016

Another great one for fans. They get a standalone game and it would sell well, likely winning it's launch NPD month. Even beating Dark Souls and Unchartered. However, BLOPS3 is still in the top 10 NPD every month. COD is still selling. MWR would give it a bump up in sales, but not at peak season. Also, it would be either 'rushed' to market or put out unfished. Resources are not available to 'complete' the re-master as they are focusing on IW.

--

In the end, they went with the bundled/paywall option. The alternatives just posed too much risk to Activision and the COD brand. Simple as that really.

Also, don't be surprised if you 'need' IW to launch MWR, so selling the code wouldn't be worth anything.

NOTE: I am not saying this is 'right', 'fair', or the 'the best' thing to do. Just posting my thoughts if I was in their shoes.

Akzel

If they do release a physical copy of MW Remastered I'll buy it but I don't really care about IW.

boltz

Activision is a hugely profitable video game company that has been in this industry for decades and has innumerable resources to analyze data and determine what is going to make them the most money. I think they know what they're doing.

Which certainly does not make them or any other large company immune from making the wrong decisions. But in this case, from a business decision point of view, I think it's a petty good idea to bundle the two games together.

Gorillaz

Nah it was a smart ass idea because people will pay for it regardless.

I still expect a full CoD4 remaster next year for the 10 year anniversary and it would line up with the way they handle cod special edition maps that were originally "exclusive".

I've purchases a lot of CoDs over the years except I've never played 4 but I don't think I want to pay 80 bucks for the privilege. I'll just buy the eventual standalone. Battlefield is making one of my pie in the sky dream games right now so that will be my shooter for the Fall and maybe Titanfall 2.

Who am I to tell one of the biggest publishers in the world how to do their job? But hey, I'll give it a go.

Do I think MW Re-mastered (MWR) behind a paywall reduce the sales numbers of Infinite Warfare (IW)? No. A 'boycott' would never be on a big enough scale. If IW doesn't sell as many copies as previous COD's, it will have little to do with MWR.

Will it increase sales of MWR? Likely, yes. With it included with every 'upgraded' copy of Infinite Warfare, it will be one of the biggest 'selling' games of the year. A standalone re-master would have done well for enthusiasts, sure. But I don't think it would outsell the 'latest' COD.

Had they sold separately, would Activision sold more copies of both games combined? Possibly. And this is where it gets most interesting.

You will notice the one question missing is: Will MWR included increase the sales of IW? Of course it will. People will buy IW to play MWR. They will. Activision know it. You know it. You may not, but lots of people will.

Activision could have done this one of many million ways, which I am sure they explored in great detail. People with far more information than me have likely run all scenarios. One option I am pretty sure they didn't consider was launching BOTH games at the same time independently. The reasons for this should be obvious (cannibalization of their market).

I am guessing they looked at the following:

Alternative 1: Full re-master of MWR.

- A full re-master. All maps. All missions. Everything.
- Extra/New content. A new side story. A spin off campaign
- Released in Holiday 2016
- Full retail price
- No 'new' COD in 2016

Give MWR the spotlight it deserves, not just an added pre-order/paywall bonus. It would sell to enthusiasts, but what about people wanting something fresh? A bit of bolted on content would be nice, but is it enough? Battlefield is releasing the same time. Risk is losing mind/market share to a competitor.

Alternative 2: Same re-master, released in H1 2016.

- Same re-master we are getting, limited maps etc.
- Released before E3, so sometime between March-June
- Budget retail price of c$40
- IW releases as planned in Holiday 2016

Another great one for fans. They get a standalone game and it would sell well, likely winning it's launch NPD month. Even beating Dark Souls and Unchartered. However, BLOPS3 is still in the top 10 NPD every month. COD is still selling. MWR would give it a bump up in sales, but not at peak season. Also, it would be either 'rushed' to market or put out unfished. Resources are not available to 'complete' the re-master as they are focusing on IW.

--

In the end, they went with the bundled/paywall option. The alternatives just posed too much risk to Activision and the COD brand. Simple as that really.

Also, don't be surprised if you 'need' IW to launch MWR, so selling the code wouldn't be worth anything.

NOTE: I am not saying this is 'right', 'fair', or the 'the best' thing to do. Just posting my thoughts if I was in their shoes.

I think that's affair assessment. I think MWR was intended mainly as a promotional thing; Activision I think was honestly not expecting the future fatigue a lot of its core audience has.

Top Bottom