• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Activision shot themselves in the foot with the MW Remastered paywall?

Skittles

I hope we get another mw2 situation where people boycott the game and then are seen playing it. That shit is still hilarious

Nope, it's gonna sell. Eventually it will be sold separately so it's all a wash in the end no matter what.

BF1 doesn't interest me whatsoever.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, they should have just made MW remastered the main CoD for a year. If they put it out on it's own, it would cannibalize sales/player base from the main game (IW in this case).

They should have just polished the remaster to be a yearly release, and used that time to buff up the next couple of CoDs by giving those teams an extra year of dev time.

Kalentan

Honestly, they should have just made MW remastered the main CoD for a year. If they put it out on it's own, it would cannibalize sales/player base from the main game (IW in this case).

They should have just polished the remaster to be a yearly release, and used that time to buff up the next couple of CoDs by giving those teams an extra year of dev time.

They already have 3 years of development.

it's not a paywall.

mwr is an extra for purchasing iw. it's literally that simple. it's an awesome extra that some of us wish we could purchase separately, and it sucks that we can't. but it's not 'behind a paywall'. we've never described anything like this as having been 'behind a paywall'.

Kalentan

And yet we still get garbage like the BLOPS3 campaign, so an extra year still couldn't hurt anything. ;)

An extra year costs more money. I don't think if Treyarch had more time to work, their campaign for Black Ops 3 would have been better. More so since they already made 3 other good campaigns (WaW, BO1/2), with only 2 years of development. It's just a matter of them fucking up, rather than not having enough time.

Chitown B

do people really want to go back and play a yearly franchise game from 9 years ago? It would be different if it was a game that only came every 4-5 years like say Halo. CoD is every year. It's been far surpassed since then, and everyone played it to death in 2007-08.

do people really want to go back and play a yearly franchise game from 9 years ago? It would be different if it was a game that only came every 4-5 years like say Halo. CoD is every year. It's been far surpassed since then, and everyone played it to death in 2007-08.

Despite being yearly, the gameplay changes quite a bit from year to year, so it's natural people are going to have their favorites. Personally, I haven't liked the last couple of releases and Black Ops 1 was like the peak of the series for me, so if they announced a Blops remaster I'd be just as stoked as some people are for MW.

Varg

Banned
it's not a paywall.

mwr is an extra for purchasing iw. it's literally that simple. it's an awesome extra that some of us wish we could purchase separately, and it sucks that we can't. but it's not 'behind a paywall'. we've never described anything like this as having been 'behind a paywall'.

You couldn't be more wrong. Your would have been correct if the you paid 60 bucks for infinite warfare and get modern warfare as extra, but you don't. Your paying extra to get the extra and there is no other way to get it . That is the definition of a paywall

TheYanger

Anecdotal, but friend that works at gamestop said literally every person that he mentioned MW remastered to as upselling that edition went for it immediately. I'm pretty sure they're going to be fine.

Look at all the coverage they have got over the media for this!
I'd say it's paying off in spades.

Then next year we will undoubtedly get Modern Warfare 2 Remastered packed in with the next CoD installment!
Genius really, as it sells itself!

jdstorm

Banned
If anyone is planning on buying IW on PS4 Just for the MW remaster. I'd be more then happy to have a free copy of IW

benedictm

Banned
Look at all the coverage they have got over the media for this!
I'd say it's paying off in spades.

Then next year we will undoubtedly get Modern Warfare 2 Remastered packed in with the next CoD installment!
Genius really, as it sells itself!

I'd prefer Black Ops 1. I mean if anyone is asking. Which they aren't.

Chitown B

Anecdotal, but friend that works at gamestop said literally every person that he mentioned MW remastered to as upselling that edition went for it immediately. I'm pretty sure they're going to be fine.

people who were already going to pre-order it anyway is not really the targeted audience they post is talking about though.

oti

Banned
Looks like the modern warfare remaster can only be played from the infinite warfare disc. No way activision will seperate the two games imo. http://www.outoflives.net/2016/05/0...-remaster-will-require-infinite-warfare-disc/

I love the audacity. Look, people would buy the game and sell it since they only want MW Remastered. Flooded with used copies the price for the new, shiny CoD would tank immediately. Activision will do anything to prevent their franchise from taking a hit like that. It makes business sense. And let's be honest here, even in three years when they decide to sell it standalone people will buy MW Remastered regardless.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You could always just play Overwatch.

It's not like there is a lack of competitive shooters.

Not to say that that Overwatch is anything but a stellar online multiplayer experience, but i play games generally for my own experience and not for playing with others

i wanted to play the MW campaign, but it seems like they dont want the money i would have otherwise given

Not to say that that Overwatch is anything but a stellar online multiplayer experience, but i play games generally for my own experience and not for playing with others

i wanted to play the MW campaign, but it seems like they dont want the money i would have otherwise given

what if Infinite Warfare's campaign is good?
teehee

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its even more annoying because they are locking this behind a preorder of a special edition version of Infinite warfare. Like, how many special editions of the game are even going to be available? Especially if its just like a download voucher or something like that to unlock the cod 4 stuff

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Activision is going to sell this 3-6 months later, seriously. Don't buy this 80$ if you just want to play MW4. That's exactly what they want. Of course they don't say "We will sell this later on" cause guess what? It doesn't matter.
The amount of people so angry that they won't buy the 80$ thing right now and the 30$ thing in 6 months out of spite is negligible.

Activision is going to sell this 3-6 months later, seriously. Don't buy this 80$ if you just want to play MW4. That's exactly what they want. Of course they don't say "We will sell this later on" cause guess what? It doesn't matter.
The amount of people so angry that they won't buy the 80$ thing right now and the 30$ thing in 6 months out of spite is negligible.
Didn't know that MW4 was coming out also. :)

SOR5

I'd say they'll pull it off, and you'll hate them for it, and i'll hate them for it, but it'll go unchallenged

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think it may cause a glut of used copies of IW to go on the market, after people buy IW, redeem their code, and trade in the IW disc to get $40 back.

They should have just charged $40-50 for MW Remaster standalone, so the $80 package actually looks like a good deal rather than highway robbery.

Unless IW is required to access MW. Just like Halo Collection being required when Microsoft gave out that free Halo ODST.

Edit: I see it's already been brought up. I totally see it happening. Activision isn't dumb.

The God

I'm more likely to buy Infinite Warfare now because I want MW remastered, so nah they haven't shot themselves in the foot.

I'm more likely to buy Infinite Warfare now because I want MW remastered, so nah they haven't shot themselves in the foot.

I don't think they've shot themselves in the foot either. I haven't picked up a CoD since BOII and I won't be picking up IW as I just don't care about the series, but I would have spent $20 or so on a rerelease of MW to play through the campaign. Those that want a new CoD every year(the tiny multi-million of you out there) will get a nice bonus. People who say otherwise can't see the forest for the trees.

Top Bottom