• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anybody found themselves getting far TOO emotionally attached to a game's story?

Fardeen

shadow the collosus and the last guardian had this on me

persona 4 also, the last train scene, felt sad, like actually leaving a friend

Oh yes.

Diablo 3
Assassin's Creed 3
Uncharted 4
The Evil Within 2

I was so, so, so, so attached to these games' predecessors that every single one of them felt like a colossal betrayal. I'll likely never, ever get over what greedy publishers did to these stories.

After TEW2 in particular I was depressed and angry for a full, like, two months. I'm still not over it.

On the non-corporate-ratfucking side of things, I was so emotionally and mentally devastated by the story in Spec Ops: The Line that it legit got me fired from a job.

Steins;Gate. Only game to legit make me cry. I was so into the story I felt empty afterwards.
Oh God, i forgot about this game but it got me good once shit started getting real.

My most invested was Persona 4 though. I loved the characters and wanted everything to turn out alright. That mixed with being in a dark time in my life, it was a way to unwind. I was furious when
nanako was almost killed
I never went through a dungeon so hard and with conviction lol. And I was legit depressed for like two weeks once I finished the game.

Tales from the borderlands was free on xbox live last month, I enjoy telltale's work, imo they have few misses. (although guardians was... not their best work)

I never liked the borderlands games, those loot type games aren't for me. But imagine my surprise upon finishing this on Sunday night, realizing this might have been the best game they've ever done, and how DEVASTATED I was that it was over. Character chemistry was on point, and I think the comedic tone helped make the more emotional parts stand out a lot more. We bond with people/characters through laughter anyways. Excellent work from the cast, and those opening scenes from each episode were phenomenal. Gortys was adorable, and loader bot is my favorite bodyguard ever.

After getting booted to the title screen after the last episode, I thought "well, telltale makes sequels to everything they do, so let me google when season 2 is coming"

"Tales from the borderlands was deemed a failure by upper management..."

tenor.gif

Since reading that on Sunday night, I haven't been able to think straight. It even distracted me during the last jedi. I am legit DEPRESSED, and like, I shouldn't feel this way over a damn game, especially a telltale game of all things. What the hell makes us feel this way? I think I enjoyed this game a little TOO much.

Has anyone been this affected by either a lack of a sequel, or something in an actual game's plot? Anything to do with gaming qualifies.

Absolutely. In fact, playing the entire Yakuza series (especially the first game) I felt emotionally attached and invested with these characters. I think Yakuza 6 is by far the most emotional game of the series because it is a game that bids farewell to a protagonist we've been invested for over 12 years.

wvnative

Absolutely. In fact, playing the entire Yakuza series (especially the first game) I felt emotionally attached and invested with these characters. I think Yakuza 6 is by far the most emotional game of the series because it is a game that bids farewell to a protagonist we've been invested for over 12 years.

Careful, trying to avoid yakuza 6 spoilers since it is the end of his story.

But I agree, Kiryu's story is amazing even if I played all of them way out of order lol.

Top Bottom