• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone ever played Sin and Punishment?

Teddman

I think it's maybe Treasure's best game, though I haven't played them all. The controls take a minute to get used to, but soon you're blasting and slashing away with glee. Best on-rails shooter ever? If not, it's close.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I lothe the h/w it's on, which hindered my gaming enjoyment somewhat, but it's a good game. The console needed more games like it.

littlewig

Banned
I never played it, but I've only heard good things about it.

Personally, I hope it is downloadable on Nintendo's virtual console service.

FoneBone

Great, but (though I'm sure many of you will disagree) I hate (and never beat) the final boss fight. I want to play a rail shooter, not fucking Missile Command.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
man, it's great. and it's so easy to fix your n64 to play imports and not that big a deal to get this game. it's just about the most fun I've had playing a rail shooter and easily one of treasures best. I only wish it was on a newer system for even greater graphics and a better controller but the destruction and imagination in the sets you quickly run through are amazing.

ghibli99

Schattenjagger said:
what was your experience like? I really need to satisfy my curiousity already.
Compared to Treasure's other N64 titles (Yuke Yuke Troublemakers and Bangaio), I enjoyed Sin & Punishment the most. While it has some of the worst VO ever, the fact that there's VO in an N64 cartridge game in the first place is notable in its own right.

I like it because it's a rail shooter with platforming elements and trademark Treasure boss battles. Those are really the highlight of the game, and while it's not a pretty game by any standard, it retains a pretty original look throughout.

The controls do take some getting used to (it was probably the best they could do with the N64 controller), but once you settle in, I think you'll have a great time!

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
when you say rail shooter.. you are talkin along the lines of GI JOE the arcade game correct?.. that is one of my fav arcade games...only problem is its just too short

Mode

play it for points, and the intensity level skyrockets x5... but it also gets a little annoying if you're doing score attacks because it takes about an hour to finish.

lordmrw

ghibli99 said:
Compared to Treasure's other N64 titles (Yuke Yuke Troublemakers and Bangaio), I enjoyed Sin & Punishment the most. While it has some of the worst VO ever, the fact that there's VO in an N64 cartridge game in the first place is notable in its own right.

I like it because it's a rail shooter with platforming elements and trademark Treasure boss battles. Those are really the highlight of the game, and while it's not a pretty game by any standard, it retains a pretty original look throughout.

The controls do take some getting used to (it was probably the best they could do with the N64 controller), but once you settle in, I think you'll have a great time!

you know there were alot of n64 games that had quite a bit of VO, but I do agree that it wasn't very common.

I liked how the general style of this game seemed somehow removed from the rest of what was going on on the N64 at the time. It really looks and feels more like an arcade game than a 64 release.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
shinokou said:
I liked how the general style of this game seemed somehow removed from the rest of what was going on on the N64 at the time. It really looks and feels more like an arcade game than a 64 release.

that is so incredibly true. it's lively and distracting in a way nothing else on the system is. whether that makes it better or not is probably up to the player but, this feeling while playing it is undeniable.

Tain

I could've sworn this game was fairly cheap last time I checked, but I'm seeing it for around $60 now.

Damn.

nightez

Banned
Sin & Punishment is like an Urban Legend, one of those classic games that only a few people elite gamers get to play. The carts sell for ridiculous prices on Ebay.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My first import game, and probably the first Treasure game I truly loved. So fantastic. And the last boss rocked! I loved the music there.

The controls are weird at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes the greatest on rails shooter since Starfox 64, perhaps even surpassing it in some instances (such as graphics, special effects, variety). I still play it every once in a while now.

Truly, one of the greats. Such a pity that it never came out here localized. Imported it for $65 or so about 3 years ago. Perhaps 4 years ago.

nightez said:
Sin & Punishment is like an Urban Legend, one of those classic games that only a few people elite gamers get to play. The carts sell for ridiculous prices on Ebay.

Really? I got mine for 1980 yen new when they were clearing them out of Aki a few years back...has the market gone up? ;P

D3VI0US

Yeah I played it at a buddy's house a few years back, I think it's overrated but a solid game none the less.

Wow, 23 posts and everybody likes the game, is this a GAF first?

Well, I'll make it 24. S&P rocks my socks off. I'm pretty sure I might be able to find a cheap copy near me, I live in Osaka and there are hundreds of 'used game' shops near me and I've seen S&P in there on a number of occasions for maybe around $30.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
This is one of my all time favorite games. Seeing this post made me smile and want to go back and experience it all over again. The graphics are a bit dated, but the gameplay comes through everytime I revisit it. I also really dig the music, though that could be just me since it's so rockout with my cock-out.

From fighting off troops to chasing mutants to swordfighting a boss and then taking on multiple aircraft carriers while flying on a piece of debree... And that's not the half of it. This. Game. Rules. It's crazy chaotic Treasure shooter GOLD.

The last boss pretty much *is* Missle Command but I kinda thought it was a tribute to classic shooters. In the tutorial, bad guys look essentially like the creatures on the Space Invader cabinet art. Pretty cool.

There were some rumblings about the game coming to GameCube for North America & it sucks it never did. Huge tragedy, especially as Treasure was targeting it for a U.S. audience. I'm holding out for it to be a Revolution download so maybe Treasure will tweak it a bit and more people get to play it. I'd scream like a little girl if they ever did a sequel...

If you can get your hands on this game, do it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Maximilian said:
taking on multiple aircraft carriers while flying on a piece of debree...

When I first saw that stage, I amost shat myself. Beautiful and breathtaking. And technically impressive.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's absolutely fantastic - the most impressive N64 game (and my favorite on the system), bar none, one of Treasure's top games IMO, and it's also the best game to take place partially on
Long Island
. It starts off a tad slow, it being a rail shooter with a dual-tiered control scheme (D pad or C buttons to move, analog stick to aim, Z to shoot, L or R to jump/double jump), but it quickly picks up - the aircraft carrier level being one of my favorite game levels ever! The final battle also is
a bullet-hell tinged tribute to Missile Command
that is totally awesome. Not to mention you have some messed up EVA story with such shitty voice acting and dialogue (in English! except the ending)... "Is that... the US Army?" "No, the weapons maker that backed Brad sent that in!"

I picked it up a few years back on Ebay for $60, complete and in perfect condition. And I've just looked on ebay and see it's bidding at lower than that! So go... and just pick up a Gameshark or something for the N64, pop the gameshark in and this game on top, and you can play on a US system (easiest way to do it without modifying the cartridge slot).

Top Bottom