• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone lost a pinch of hype of Cyberpunk 2077 after these latest clips/trailers?

DonJorginho

Banned
Before I start, I still am REALLY looking forward to this game and think it will be a fucking great title, this is not a shitpost or me trying to cause controversy, I am just starting to get slightly worried by how much content is seemingly be cut, some janky animations and the UI design. And I wanna see how fellow Gaffers feel.

Some aspects of the game I was really excited for like car customisation, flying vehicles and the Subway mechanics, and now it seems like it has all been cut with not much reasoning, I get things like wall-running as they may not work across all levels and require too much tinkering in the design and be a detriment to the aesthetic aimed for by CDPR, but things like TP cutscenes and vehicle customisation being removed baffle me tbh.

The animations seem so janky it is unreal, from the awkward katana wielding, to the fist fighting, it just seems so amateur for a team like CDPR, I know TW3 wasn't exactly a marvel in terms of animation but I expected more of a leap with a much bigger budget and more experienced team.

Lastly, I don't know how I will like this UI if there isn't some serious customisation options, everything is just all sprawled across the screen which means the actual amount of screen space you can play the game within is limited and I can imagine will cause me eye strain after awhile, I am not against the actual fonts and design, just the way the whole thing itself is just pushed into every corner and side of the screen, TW3 had a much better UI imo.

Voice acting for me too seems pretty damn awful but I will get used to it.

Again, not saying this game will disappoint, I know I will enjoy my time with this game, just can't help thinking I would have enjoyed it ten times more without these weird changes, and I can only get a little bit uneasy imagining whatever other changes will also be made down the line.

The only future content removal I would be in favour for would be the whole Braindance mechanic, shit looks terrible, but that's just me.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm assuming (and I think it's a reasonable assumption) that the content has been cut due to the sheer scope of the rest of the game - they have time and money, but only so much, and you can only stretch the hype for this thing so far before it snaps.

If it turns out that all the stuff has been cut but the game isn't as grandiose as its been made out to be, people are in for a world of disappointment.

Ellery

Yeah the multiple delays are starting to hurt my interest.

I know I am going to love it and the game will be straight fire, but knowing that it will be very close to next gen (and other games) release and that my hardware will be "older" by then is a bit of a disappointment for my personal case.

Also I am not huge on first person. My interest was at the peak before we knew about the game only being first person.

I am still going to buy it, unless it is an absolute mess that reviews bad and has technical problems, but I expect it to be a 95 Metacritic game.

DonJorginho

Banned
I'm assuming (and I think it's a reasonable assumption) that the content has been cut due to the sheer scope of the rest of the game - they have time and money, but only so much, and you can only stretch the hype for this thing so far before it snaps.

If it turns out that all the stuff has been cut but the game isn't as grandiose as its been made out to be, people are in for a world of disappointment.
Exactly my kinda thoughts, I am hoping it is because the game is so grand in it's scale that they have to cut shit to get it out in time and not give player's serious content overdoses.

If it turns out lacking in that ambition that originally attracted me so much all those years ago, I will be kinda disappointed.

SliChillax

Same but happens for everygame mostly when they start showing too much gameplay before release I feel like I have already played the game and loose interest.

DonJorginho

Banned
Yeah the multiple delays are starting to hurt my interest.

I know I am going to love it and the game will be straight fire, but knowing that it will be very close to next gen (and other games) release and that my hardware will be "older" by then is a bit of a disappointment for my personal case.

Also I am not huge on first person. My interest was at the peak before we knew about the game only being first person.

I am still going to buy it, unless it is an absolute mess that reviews bad and has technical problems, but I expect it to be a 95 Metacritic game.
I feel you there, I had similar feelings regarding hardware when TLOU came out on PS3, and I wish there was a toggle to switch between TP and FP as you lose so much beauty in FP games imo.

Ellery

I feel you there, I had similar feelings regarding hardware when TLOU came out on PS3, and I wish there was a toggle to switch between TP and FP as you lose so much beauty in FP games imo.

For me it is mostly about motion sickness (though I hope it will be a non issue with Cyberpunk 2077) and I find first person games to be more exhausting. No idea how to put it.

I feel where you're coming from. I'm still incredibly hyped for the game, however the most recent gameplay demos have tampered my expectations a fair bit.

To be fair though, I was incredibly hyped for the Witcher 3, and remember having my expectations lowered when some of the janky animations & downgrades came to light. Game absolutely floored me when I finally got my grubby mitts on it.

My expectations being brought down may be a good thing - I think I was unreasonably hyped for the game, heh.

GamingKaiju

I’m still looking forward to it. There hasn’t been much out this year that really interests me. The change to FP only really hurt my hype I much prefer TP in RPG games. I hope the game has enough content in it for multiple play throughs that will take you down a different path with different outcomes.

Still hyped thou!!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nah, still excited for it. maybe more than i have ever been. the game looks great. i was pissed at the delays but whatever.

Still looking forward to it, but I was expected flying cars and the whole blade runner vibe that Im not exactly seeing from footage.
1. they said from the start you wouldn't be able to drive flying cars. you'd only go in them as part of missions.
2. this isn't a game based on Blade Runner.

you only have yourself to blame if these are what disappoint you about the game.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
I've lost a little bit of hype, certainly. Graphically it looks unimpressive but I do have faith that the RPG elements and CDPR's storytelling will propel it to high sales and universal critical praise. Still a day one purchase for me.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Witcher 2 and 3 are some of my top games of all times. I try to not hype myself for anything now a days cause always leads to disappointment (see Anything in destiny last 2 years). They make good games I’m sure this one will be good to.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've lost a little bit of hype, certainly. Graphically it looks unimpressive but I do have faith that the RPG elements and CDPR's storytelling will propel it to high sales and universal critical praise. Still a day one purchase for me.

i can't even take you serious when you say graphics aren't impressive. sure, on current gen consoles it'll look bad but it'll look quite good on next gen and of course PC looks amazing with full blown RTX.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: MrS

CAB_Life

Witcher combat was always borderline pirranah bytes level Eurojank, so no surprise there.

As long as the story is mostly cohesive and compelling I’ll play it anyway.

And my darling Keanu is in it too, so...

MrS

Banned
i can't even take you serious when you say graphics aren't impressive. sure, on current gen consoles it'll look bad but it'll look quite good on next gen and of course PC looks amazing with full blown RTX.
Why would I care about how it looks on PC when I don't play on PC? It will look like shit on current gen consoles. That's what I'm concerned about because that's what I own. I can't take you seriously when you have a CyberPunk avatar and badmouth anybody with a slight criticism of the game.

Last edited:

jadefire66

When they delay the game, I lose interest, but when they show new gameplay vids, I gain interest lol. So overall mixed feelings but I'm still excited. I really fuckin hope they don't delay it for a third time.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I don't even think it will look "bad" per say on current gen, maybe blurry and slightly muddier textures but the art style of this game means it could look appealing on a potato, let alone a console.

Elcid

Banned
I might be broken. I love Cyberpunk in general yet have zero interest in this game. I loved Witcher 1 and 2 but couldn't bring myself to beat 3.

Sygma

Its gonna be shit and honestly I'm just here for the meltdowns if they kept half of the original material in. I'm hating all the changes they made, in particular the Trauma Team which seems to be not even threatening or anything and by having watched a lot of Mike Pondsmith's interview and whatnot, it doesn't seem likely that you'll be able to roleplay a truly evil V. Gonna be a waste, don't care about bettering society or whatever the fuck it is that people feel so fragile about throughout the globe

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
To be honest I never understood the hype about the game.

Yes CD Projekt Red made the Witcher series, which is great. But this game looks nothing like it. I mean, of course, since its a science fiction game, but it just looks so mediocre... The latest trailer really showed that. It looks like a dull shooter.

iNvid02

I think its going to be less "magical" for lack of a better word because of the numerous delays, the difference in setting, and them having learned the lessons of not overly sprucing up gameplay footage that doesnt make it into release

But I'm still feeling that it will be a great action rpg. Will it reach the heights of witcher 3? I doubt it, but maybe a sequel or third installment might

Last edited:

GymWolf

not really, i knew that gameplay wise the game could be mediocre, i mean cd project is not exactly famous for good combat systems.

same for the animations.

I was surprised by the mediocre try hard VA, witcher has some great voices.

it's gonna be the same with bloodlines 2.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I always keep a healthy amount of hype for any game, i was never ultra hyped for it in the first place.
Personally, the three things i want them to nail are:
1 - Art direction
2 - Different story and gameplay paths
3 - Character building
If these 3 things turn out great, it'll be enough to be a GOTY for me

Krisprolls

Banned

No, that's not the way it works. If art style is bad or environnements are lacking, no amount of RTX can make it beautiful. Budget and artists are more important than pure GPU, especially now with diminishing returns.

RTX is nvidia latest buzzword to sell overpriced GPU, in the real world you've got tons of ways to make lighting look nearly as good for a fraction of the cost, so power budget is usually better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

Sephimoth

this isn't a game based on Blade Runner.
Not directly, but the original board game which this is based on is influenced by it.

Not disappointed, it just went a different direction than I expected. Still have it preordered and suspect itll be GOTY

Last edited:
It was over hyped that's why you feel dissapointed/loosing hype. Flying cars was never a feature to begin with and I don't think they mentioned exploring subway stations(you can still use it as fast travel disguise)

The game isn't the game of the generation or something truly groundbreaking but you can see the care and heart that is going to it's creation. CDPR and it's games are a dying breed going to be fully extinct in future.

We should bask in it because this games are dying and gaming is going to be full of PC, gamers are loosing, creativity is dying and corpos are winning. You'll soon get 70/80$ base game with 15 hour gameplay and it'll be the norm. You are gonna be fed so much PC bs you'll going to want to quit gaming.

Knowing the inevitable future i choose to fully support CDPR and forgive little things like removal of wall running. Show appreciation to companies that are not afraid of getting cancelled and pursue their dreams and express their ideas freely:messenger_horns:🍻

Shrap

Way back when it was originally announced I was a lot more hyped. Third person, blade runner-esque and not such a heavy emphasis on shooting.

I'm still looking forward to it but I don't think it'll be as unique or as in depth as I originally envisioned.

Bryank75

Banned
Wasn't ever hyped for it, never understood why people were hyped.....

The initial reveal video I saw the overreaction to it online and I was like 'did we watch the same thing?' seemed boring.

Anyway, I'll get it. Dunno if at launch or a little later, have to see.

Never cared much about it. If it gets a lot of praise when its out I'll check it out eventually but it can flop like any other game.

DonJorginho

Banned
Wasn't ever hyped for it, never understood why people were hyped.....

The initial reveal video I saw the overreaction to it online and I was like 'did we watch the same thing?' seemed boring.

Anyway, I'll get it. Dunno if at launch or a little later, have to see.
I am actually way more hyped for Ghost Of Tsushima tbh, am still hyped a large amount for both titles though.

Blond

Banned
Third Person Cutscenes
Subway Idea
Ability to drive flying cars (has been cut for a long time though)
Wall running
Car customisation
Wardrobe mechanic
Flathead robot (robot in first demo)
Home customisation

Things change

The Flathead was intended to be used as a companion for Techies, but as Netrunners and Techies had many overlapping abilities they combined them into one skill tree. Thus it will no longer be a companion for the player.

DonJorginho

Banned
Things change

The Flathead was intended to be used as a companion for Techies, but as Netrunners and Techies had many overlapping abilities they combined them into one skill tree. Thus it will no longer be a companion for the player.

Would have been such a cool companion, am interested to see how they handle the whole skilltree and companion aspects

zombrex

Wait for the ultimate edition for next gen. Not much reason to buy this game at launch because there is no doubt it will be expanded upon and improved greatly over time. CDP are very good at supporting their games so many of these features may make a comeback in DLC and updates.

Only one that is up to interpretation is the flying cars driving, as that seemed to never be the case, just used for show.

Every other feature has been cut and was once playable/major part of the game.

Car customization was not implemented at first at e3 fans mentioned it heavily and they said they'll think it over.

They also never said anything specific about the subway. Just because it was in the first shot of the first trailer doesn't mean much.

DonJorginho

Banned
Didnt know about the flying cars...wtf. I mean I imagined we would not be able to drive one but will we at least be in one?
You can be in one yes, but it is a loading screen kinda thing now, just to take you from one part of certain missions to another.

When they first revealed it, most people assumed it would be playable, and rumours surfaced of that being the case, but in mid 2018 CDPR were forced to comment in an interview that this was not the case and they were just for show.

DonJorginho

Banned
Car customization was not implemented at first at e3 fans mentioned it heavily and they said they'll think it over.

They also never said anything specific about the subway. Just because it was in the first shot of the first trailer doesn't mean much.
I just hope they include them in future free dlc, as it is baffling why something as easy as car customisation cannot be implemented.

DonJorginho

Banned

Regarding the Subway, they used the whole Subway in multiple advertisement campaigns and had screenshots showing V inside a train, it is either false advertising or cut content, either way it is something that people at least thought was in the game at one point and now is not.

I am sure the game will still be amazing though, CDPR know what they are doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom