• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone lost a pinch of hype of Cyberpunk 2077 after these latest clips/trailers?

GV82

Personally lost my hype at the Microsoft E3 first showing.

My own fault, I spent between the first teaser was it 2012/2013? Imagining an entirely different game from the people that brought us The Witcher series, some people forget that some of us have been had waiting for this since 2013.

I was hoping for

A Large/Massive open world 3rd person RPG (like the Witcher 3) that you could Switch to 1st person for the shooting aspects or vice versa (like battlefront etc) of which I am hearing it is very little maybe 10 mins shooting in 4 hours I recently heard of what those that played it (which is kind of what I expected this isnt a shooter) so making it first person perspective and not third person perspective RPG now seems even more bizarre to me. The ability to control flying cars (which back in 2015 wasn’t there rumours they were looking for programmers to do exactly that?) but you can look in mirrors and have 3rd person driving, oh come on thats not what I want.

Instead with 2077 we are getting a Deus Ex style game on steroids with more RPG and more Cyberpunk elements and thats fine, if thats the sort of game you are looking for, not me I am looking for something we haven’t had before and I am sure it’s going to be awesome but it’s not for me.

I am still waiting on that Massive 3rd Person open world Cyberpunk RPG game, of which we have little to none. Maybe Watchdogs Legion will Scratch that itch though it will not have RPG stuff and less futuristic and more closer to current day dystopia/cyberpunk.

Again I lost hype because it’s a me problem, not the games fault. It’s personal taste.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I actually got a bit of hype back. Ever since the bigger reveal I feel like it has been a virtual endless parade of hype-killing news, vidya journalists spending 50% of interviews talking about genderfluid, tons of articles about an in-game poster, leak about a postage stamp sized city, every tweet about the game followed by 100 responses from pervs demanding to have sex with whatever character was in the picture, articles about how many penises you could attach to your avatar, etc. The recent reveal showed that, yes, this is an actual game, not a SJW wish fulfillment exercise. An actual game with potentially lots of cool stuff in it.

Just tired of waiting tbh. I know Nov is going to be stacked with goodies and special, because of new consoles dropping and all these exclusives going to be announced for day 1..it pays off at the end of the day..but, Nov DOU 😔

Ivory Blood

I actually got a bit of hype back. Ever since the bigger reveal I feel like it has been a virtual endless parade of hype-killing news, vidya journalists spending 50% of interviews talking about genderfluid, tons of articles about an in-game poster, leak about a postage stamp sized city, every tweet about the game followed by 100 responses from pervs demanding to have sex with whatever character was in the picture, articles about how many penises you could attach to your avatar, etc. The recent reveal showed that, yes, this is an actual game, not a SJW wish fulfillment exercise. An actual game with potentially lots of cool stuff in it.
This! Night City Wire and previews with gameplay got my hype back on the level after it deflated over the last year.

I was really afraid it would be an SJW wankfest, but they proved me wrong.

Rikoi

Personally lost my hype at the Microsoft E3 first showing.

My own fault, I spent between the first teaser was it 2012/2013? Imagining an entirely different game from the people that brought us The Witcher series, some people forget that some of us have been had waiting for this since 2013.

I was hoping for

A Large/Massive open world 3rd person RPG (like the Witcher 3) that you could Switch to 1st person for the shooting aspects or vice versa (like battlefront etc) of which I am hearing it is very little maybe 10 mins shooting in 4 hours I recently heard of what those that played it (which is kind of what I expected this isnt a shooter) so making it first person perspective and not third person perspective RPG now seems even more bizarre to me. The ability to control flying cars (which back in 2015 wasn’t there rumours they were looking for programmers to do exactly that?) but you can look in mirrors and have 3rd person driving, oh come on thats not what I want.

Instead with 2077 we are getting a Deus Ex style game on steroids with more RPG and more Cyberpunk elements and thats fine, if thats the sort of game you are looking for, not me I am looking for something we haven’t had before and I am sure it’s going to be awesome but it’s not for me.

I am still waiting on that Massive 3rd Person open world Cyberpunk RPG game, of which we have little to none. Maybe Watchdogs Legion will Scratch that itch though it will not have RPG stuff and less futuristic and more closer to current day dystopia/cyberpunk.

Again I lost hype because it’s a me problem, not the games fault. It’s personal taste.
I don't think it's your personal problem, it's the reason why a lot of people are complaining.
The disappointed people mostly share your same concerns (including me).
First of all, it looks like they are targeting a total different audience from The Witcher 3.
The most important thing being the fact that it's a 1st person game and not 3rd.
It was also weird to look at the trailer and see the city totally empty, where are the NPCs? A dead city.
The driving was totally GTA-like, with the exception that there are no obstacles, you are totally alone, not really interesting.
Also I never understood the appeal of a character creator in a 1st person game, you will never see it.
Overall I was kinda disappointed by the presentation. The game often looked like a PS3 game, except for some sections.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
After Witcher 3, I wouldn’t doubt CDPR game design or pro-consumer practices. They are the perfect developer everyone should aspire to. Most of all they’ll go to insane length to support the game to perfection.

I've been saying for a while now that people are expecting way too much from it. The hype is ridiculous with all these preemptive GOTY proclamations.

CuNi

I watched that one gameplay Video an.. oh boy.. OH BOY.. that gameplay looks rough as fuck...
I'm slowly getting worried that they really took too much on themselves this time around..
It's never a good sign, no matter which studio does it, when you postpone a game over and over again.. and remove gameplay mechanics..

Pejo

Pretty much everything has been downgraded since announcement. I realize that happens throughout development, but what's really left to set this apart now? The playable area shrunk. The graphics are good but not great. The newer gameplay vids have been pretty bad (especially that fistfight on the roofttop). The character models are worse, the interactivity in the world is worse. To me, it just looks like a less janky Bethesda game in a cyberpunk setting, which isn't really a compliment. I'll still keep an eye on it until it releases, but this game doesn't really excite me at all. As it stands now, I'll probably just wait until I can get it for $15~ or less on PC someday.

V4skunk

Banned
I think the trailer woke people up to the fact that CP2077 is not the second coming of god and has all the flaws that come with all open world games.
I'm looking forward to pc/next gen footage though. As this will remove the flaws we have all come to accept from current gen limited open world games.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I don't really care anymore, its seems pretty clear to me that it won't be anything revolutionary after the latest videoes, I would love to be surprised but if there was something different about this game, ie that it was actually a massively expanded Deus Ex concept, with whole buildings of people being simulated I'm sure we would've seen that demoed by now.

I thought it might be like Hitman 2016-2018 levels level of interaction and NPCs simulation, but they are localised in a giant open world, but its not, so I'll just wait for the release. I thought it would be Deus Ex of the Wild. Its probably going to disappointing from a exploration perspective, like GTA V, literally hundreds of buildings that aren't explorable. I wish they would've focused more on hyper detail in smaller areas of the city, I think the open world will be mostly unused from a gameplay perspective.

AGAIN, I am happy to be surprised, but I've been doing this while now so I think I have a good eye for cutting through the bullshit.

So I'm just enjoying other stuff I'm interested in right now, just about to start Axiom Verge.

Kuranghi

I think the trailer woke people up to the fact that CP2077 is not the second coming of god and has all the flaws that come with all open world games.
I'm looking forward to pc/next gen footage though. As this will remove the flaws we have all come to accept from current gen limited open world games.

I certainly didn't think it would be that but I think they are responsible for overhyping it.

I just feel like they focussed too much on implying it was a living breathing world in the early demos/interviews. Its been made clear from previews that its not much different from Dying Light (Good game but egregious in this area) with its fixed position NPCs just standing there barking lines at you. Sure this game seems to have them moving around the areas they are in a bit but I doubt that will happen with every mission.

I wanted a game where you can just go off exploring an apartment building and find a weird guy/girl there who gives you a weird mission or you discover some information that helps with other stuff, or just awesome flavour for the world.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

If this was third person, my hype would be through the roof.

You just want to see V pulling out a Cyclops's eyeball in 3rd person don't you, you nutter.

We see her handling some balls I'm sure anyway though, since its a "mature title".

Bogey

Banned
I've nevever been particularly hyped in the first place, not a huge fan of shooters, nor cyberpunk/SciFi.

The only reason I'm following this game at all is because its CD Projekt.
And hey, sometimes you enjoy games most when going in with limited expectations. I thought Witcher3 would end up being "meh", and yet it ended up being my GOAT.

After the first CG trailer I had the impression that it would would be a rather dark, serious game. But after gameplay was shown I realized it's more like a sci-fi GTA narrative wise and the visuals are more bright and colorful than I expected. So that killed a lot of my hype. But the game seems expansive enough that I will find plenty of fun there anyway.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hell no. Expecting it to be my 2020 game of the year and contender for game of the Xbox Series X/PlayStation 5 generation.

I guess my hype has been reduced by the reality that it is an actual product and probably not going to be similar in scope to Witcher 3. But what else is there to look forward to? I haven't watched coverage because there is no use. I will buy it, if it's short I didnt get spoiled on opening chapter stuff.

I look back fondly on the following products:

Witcher 1...
Dues Ex Mankind Divided...

Both of which are not really remembered fondly by all. But I was into them. So, I am the most likely person to enjoy it even if it is pretty much crap.

iorek21

I'm not really hyped, and I think this will ultimately help a lot in my enjoyment of the game.

In my opinion, The Witcher 3 turned into the second coming of Christ in the general gamer's consensus, and I don't think this is really right, as the game is very far from perfect. TW3's general consensus will end up hurting CP2077 probably A LOT, generating lots of unrealistic expectations.

No hype for Cyberpunk 2077 is a good thing

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Not at all. But I'm definitely playing it on ps5. edit: I would add that, the footage I have seen show a lot of depopulated areas. I want hundreds of npcs everywhere( in the city parts of the map, at least), just like was shown in the reveal.

Last edited:
My hype was lost but 2 weeks ago I started another play-trough of The Witcher 3 and it's back with full force.

I also love that CP2077 is first person only.

Madflavor

A little bit, but I'm still excited for the game.

If you ask me I think their biggest mistake was making the game first person and not having third person cutscenes either. I really don't understand the point of having a deep character customization if you rarely ever see the character. But we'll have to see what they do with it.

Would not be surprised at all if PC eventually gets a mod that lets you switch to third person

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Right there with you OP.
I've stopped caring about this game. With every reveal it gets smaller and the animation looks worse.

It would have been amazing to have Cyberpunk to play during all the work from home moments. Now with Halo coming out around the same time, and so many other shiny next Gen games and updates..

I'm excited, but now that it's lauching in a crowded period with other games I'm looking forward to.. It's just a shame. Would have been a great summer game.

I'm extremely excited about the universe and the stories that will be told when interacting with the NPCs...but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my doubts about how the combat shown thus far looks

It just doesn't look like it has any weight to it.

Damigos

Like OP, i also think that the trailers did a bit of damage. They didnt show the game’s strengths, just the detective system which is boring and slow.
I am sure the hype levels will hit red again at their next trailers

Tschumi

I'm more worried about the subway train removal.. that seems like a pretty obvious piece of immersion being taken out... Like how can a futuristic city feel as such without something as ubiquitous as subways?

Valentino

They picked an overrated setting. Maybe because they announced it in 2012 when the ideas and fantasy of the world were more intriguing to them have now dwindled or realised it's not all it's made up to be? Then made it first person.

fermcr

Cyberpunk 2077 should have been released by now. So much time has passed since announced and the first person perspective, made me loose most of the hype for the game.

... but, still going to play it.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Not just based on these trailers, I'm simply not excited because cyberpunk isn't interesting.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
I lost almost half the hype with the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay they showed after the 2019 Keanu Reeves trailer. Since then, everything CDPR has shown is further and further less interesting than the 48 minute 2018 trailer that hyped me in the first place.

INC

world looks great
atmosphere looks great
the brain hacking style thing, to do detective work i like the look of

the combat.........oooft looks rough

Life

Another lost hype thread about the same game? So worrying that 2 people in the world lost hype.

ZywyPL

Banned
The gameplay vids actually made me more interested in the game, the first gameplay reveal was "meh", but the latest bunch surely did the job.

I somewhat agree, maybe it's the world falling apart that's making me more skeptical but I'm not feeling the vibe when it was first revealed.

nkarafo

Yeah. It goes for an Akira/Cybercity Oedo Cyberpunk style instead of Bladerunner. It leans too much on the "punk" side.

I like Akira but for a videogame i would prefer a Bladerunner world. But it's called "Cyberpunk" so i guess i should have known. Bladerunner isn't really cyberpunk, it's more like sci-fi noir.

Last edited:
Top Bottom