• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anything good come out in music lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

A young band called Eisley is coming out with their first album tomorrow called "Room Noises."

My brother was really impressed at their live show last Friday. I like what I've heard so far. They remind me of Sixpence None the Richer (with a little Miss Angie added for flavor). MAF might like them.

olimario

Banned
Iceman said:
A young band called Eisley is coming out with their first album tomorrow called "Room Noises."

My brother was really impressed at their live show last Friday. I like what I've heard so far. They remind me of Sixpence None the Richer (with a little Miss Angie added for flavor). MAF might like them.

Yup :) I posted about them on the previous page. Really an excellent group and the band memebers are so nice and so funny. I got a chance to hang out with them since my friends band The Pilots are friends with them and since my friend Cassie is marrying their drummer.

I say pick up their Laughing City EP if you can find it. It goes with the new CD well.

snaildog

I know nothing about modern music. Is there anything remotely soft rockish yet good around at the moment? I'm mostly into The Beatles, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Queen etc right now.

etiolate

Banned
snaildog said:
I know nothing about modern music. Is there anything remotely soft rockish yet good around at the moment? I'm mostly into The Beatles, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Queen etc right now.

THE SHINS

snaildog

etiolate said:
THE SHINS
Got a quick song recommendation? So that I can um run to the store and find it on an album? (Seriously, I buy most of my music, but with the zero information on the back of CDs it's a goddam lottery. Bring back records)

The Shins rock, both CDs are awesome.

I like songs like

Girl on the Wing
Past and Pending
Girl Inform Me
Saint Simon
Gone for Good
Kissing the Lipless
Young Pilgrims

etiolate

Banned
Oh Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow are their two albums and the first is their best in my opinion. Songs to take note of are Caring is Creepy, New Slang, Know Your Onion, So Says I, Young Pilgrim, Saint Simon, Pink Bullets and The Past and Pending.

The Shins do have mp3s online so you can check out two of those.

Know Your Onion

So Says I

snaildog

Is anyone else pissed off at the accents most modern American boy bands use? Like that popular piece of crap "I walk a lonely road and I'm the only one and I walk alone and my shadow is there". I've never been to the US, but you don't actually talk like that do you? It's sort of popular-kid-in-highschool talk exaggerated with a bit of angst and surfie thrown in.

etiolate

Banned
snaildog said:
Is anyone else pissed off at the accents most modern American boy bands use? Like that popular piece of crap "I walk a lonely road and I'm the only one and I walk alone and my shadow is there". I've never been to the US, but you don't actually talk like that do you? It's sort of popular-kid-in-highschool talk exaggerated with a bit of angst and surfie thrown in.

Isn't that Green Day? I don't know if it's accents but more about different singing styles and trying to harmonize vocals with the pitch of the guitars. It's not like european bands don't kill off their accent at times to sing.

snaildog

Nope, they're not too bad so far (downloading very slowly). It's a snarky remark to whichever wankers put out that song I mentioned that I had to listen to at work 30 times a day for two weeks though.

Edit: It's hard to describe. It sounds like they're pronouncing the first consonant of the word too strongly, and putting it on rather than singing naturally.

MOST american bands that are popular are largely suck since they lack the actual time required to become an artist and spend more time trying to be a star.

snaildog

What I don't hear any more is sheer enthusiasm/mindless optimism behind the vocals, like all those older Beatles classics (She Loves You, I Feel Fine, From Me To You, Love Me Do, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Another Girl, Twist And Shout and my personal elite niche favourite Please Mister Postman).

I personally never liked the beatles tho. Stick to indie stuff, MOST of them have to earn their way.

MOST mainstream stuff makes me cry, but I lose a lot of cred with people I know cause they dont recognize who I listen to.

FightyF

Banned
t3rdm0060_big.jpg

Sacrum (Promo Mix)

Very dancable gabber!

Actually for that track, Thomas Bangalter and Monica Belucci THEMSELVES authorized the use of their vocals. Unfortunately the label isn't moving to CDs and it doesn't look like it anytime soon, only on vinyl. :p

=W=

You need to listen to more Ben Folds.

This is the first single off his new album Songs for Silverman
http://www.thesuburbs.org.uk/landed.html

His 3 EP's are fan-friggin-tastic. In particular, "Wandering", all of Sunny 16, "Adelaide", "Rent a Cop", and his excellent cover of The Cure's "In Between Days".

Macam

Banned
=W= said:
You need to listen to more Ben Folds.

This is the first single off his new album Songs for Silverman
http://www.thesuburbs.org.uk/landed.html

His 3 EP's are fan-friggin-tastic. In particular, "Wandering", all of Sunny 16, "Adelaide", "Rent a Cop", and his excellent cover of The Cure's "In Between Days".

This is absolutely true; of course, Ben Folds will be releasing those three EPs collectively with additional material this year if I'm not mistaken, in addition to a remastered version of Whatever and Ever Amen from the Ben Folds Five days and his follow-up solo album. Barring the Smashing Pumpkins, Ben Folds is probably my favorite artist out there.

As for Eisley, it's okay from what I'm hearing but aside from the lead vocalist sounding a bit like the lead from Six Pence None The Richer, there's not much of a comparison there; it faintly reminds me of a simpler Weezer sound with a Six Pence styled lead singer.

GG-Duo

snaildog said:
What I don't hear any more is sheer enthusiasm/mindless optimism behind the vocals, like all those older Beatles classics (She Loves You, I Feel Fine, From Me To You, Love Me Do, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Another Girl, Twist And Shout and my personal elite niche favourite Please Mister Postman).

You'll see a lot of that 'optimism' in indie pop bands. Granted, some of them do it just to be ironic and cute, but it's there.

For example: All Girl Summer Fun Band, or like... The Polyphonic Spree :D

Try Silent Alarm by Bloc Party.

I guarentee that within the next few months these will be hyped up as the next White Stripes/Strokes/Franz Ferdinand etc.

The album on the whole fits very well into the whole indie-pop sub-genre GAF seems so fond of. Consistently better than Franz Ferdinand too, though it lacks a single spectacular track ala Take Me Out.

Jim Bowie

The Fiery Furnaces? They're sort of like The White Stripes, in you remove the guitar, put in the piano, and have really good storytelling skills.

Try Blueberry Boat, you'll really like it MAF.

Also, if you like Metric, you might just like Mirah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom