• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has EA improved in your eyes?

SOR5

I think it's appropriate to begin this thread with 2012/2013 and EA being voted "Americas Worst Company" twice in a row, this all revolves around several lacklustre moves, from the Mass Effect 3 ending, to the mediocrity of MOH: Warfighter and the Zynga-fication of the beloved Dungeon Keeper IP.

EA was not perceived as a pioneer of entertainment and didn't adhere to the 'Arts' aspect of it's name at all, its games seemed primarily designed with a cash-first consumer-maybe priority, nearly every company seeks to make money, but EA was managed to the point that what emanated from their output was a blatant disregard for quality.

It's developers were desperately scrambling around either rushed or catering to the wrong audiences, Bioware and it's approach to DA2, SWTOR and ME3 come to mind, the erasure of horror in exchange for a blockbuster action approach in Dead Space 3 come to mind, and sacred old IP's kept coming back as Frankenstein's monsters like SimCity 2013, C&C Tiberium Alliances, Dungeon Keeper. The onslaught of negative PR from poor development and poor business decisions eventually ended in a mass condemning of EA and the departure of John Riccitiello as CEO.

Do I think they were the "worst company in America"?...no, I would probably give that to a thousand other banking and airline companies. But were they a healthy presence to the industry? I have to echo what everyone else was saying and state that they were no at allt, EA became the personification of every possible gaming sin, excessive microtransactions and DLC, online passes, excessive DRM, uninspired annualised sequels, bastardized IP's etc. etc.

But since then, and since Andrew Wilson's tenure as CEO, have they become better? Here's a quote from Wilson regarding their 'victory' in the worst company contest

“We didn’t even make it out of the first round this year,” he laughs. But it is awkward and for a moment the tension shows. “When I came into this job, the board didn’t want the company to be perceived that way. I said if we commit to delivering amazing games built on creativity and commit to engaging with gamers when they think we have done them a disservice, then that puts us in the best possible position.

Have figures such as Peter Moore, Andrew Wilson, and the developers at EA listened to the consumers? Bioware saw a recent boost of confidence from critics and consumers alike with Dragon Age Inquisition, voted GOTY from several institutions and seen as a return to form for Bioware in terms of having an engaging combat system an immersive world, and likeable characters, my personal opinion is it's still lacking a bit of that polish that makes games like The Witcher 3 a master class, but it was definitely a step in the right direction.

Titanfall was released and by all regards, it was commercially safe (A shooter from the former Infinity Ward devs was bound to do well) but it made several quite significant gameplay changes to the standard FPS formula that went on to influence and freshen the massively stagnating franchises it was competing with. Unravel was also given a massive amount of coverage for a game of it's stature at E3 2015, and very much serve as some evidence that EA are willing to risk financing more creatively rich games. PvZ Garden Warfare 2 saw Popcap turn a very simple and shallow mobile IP into an engaging fun and dynamic experience worthy of purchase. And EA's online offerings have seen an improvement as well, EA Access/Origin Access (and for that matter, Origin itself) have been seen as being value for money and a win/win for both consumers and EA.

It's not all improvements though, Maxis and The Sims seem to have taken a bit of a rough turn, with the Maxis Emeryville closure and the lukewarm reception to The Sims 4's lack of content, however fan consensus seems to be that The Sims 4 has made several leaps in improvement since it's release it still hasn't gathered the "love" the other games have. Star Wars Battlefront was a top notch effort in capturing a Star Wars-y game from sound design and aesthetics but massively stripped in any sort of depth or engaging mechanics that irreversibly damaged the final product. Need for Speed 2015 as well, whilst looking gorgeous, was lacking any sort of depth that keeps a player engaged. A 4vs1 game called Shadow Realms was quietly cancelled and shoved to the side (shortly followed by a similar game, Fable Legends)

But in the future? An actual sequel to Mirrors Edge that oozes style (Mirrors Edge in itself is a positive indicator of where EA can go) a WW1 Battlefield game that seems to be killing it in terms of PR, another installment of Unravel, and a potential redemption for Bioware. So I take this to you GAF, have EA improved in your eyes? Or are they still the ultimate evil of the industry?

Star Wars Battlefront still launched with very little content and a $50 season pass.
Don't think they've changed much
And Battlefield "killing it in terms of PR" against CoD doesn't mean much towards EA changing for the better

Jawmuncher

They still mess up, but they're far from the evil juggernaut people still claim them to be. Sim city 4 fiasco to me was the last big actual issue they had.

bounchfx

their best time was around dead space/mirrors edge, they were putting out consistently great games
then they got greedy again, and shit like battlefront, while pretty, was a pretty insulting package as far as value goes

I think they have reached a plateau and I've gotten more used to them.

I'd agree with this

The problem is that they got good tech, good marketing departement, some GOOD IP with actual good game design (no like Ubi who makes all their IP on the same game design)

but they STILL manage to ruin it all with either :
- lack of content and over price season passes that are under delivering
- bug fest broken releases
- still killing major studios
- reboot with shit ton of focus testing and terrible ideas

etc etc... so Pick your cancer :
- Ubi serving you the average same soup over and over and over with just a packaging change
- Or EA trying hard to find new recipes and actual good ingredient but can't cook for shit

angelic

Banned
"we have no time for remakes or remasters - we as a company like to push forward" - peter moore.

Now please enjoy Fifa 17, NFL and Battlefield, along with season pass 2 for Battlefront and new Fifa ultimate team content.

I think they're just 'alright' atm; they haven't done anything like the late '00s New IP explosion so I don't think they've done much to really raise their profile in my eyes. How they've let the Battlefield Franchise stagnate is also disappointing to me. But Ubisoft has gotten so much worse that it's hard to feel particularly annoyed at EA. Also isn't Origin a decent-ish client nowadays?

Auctopus

I think it's appropriate to begin this thread with 2012/2013 and EA being voted "Americas Worst Company" twice in a row, this all revolves around several lacklustre moves, from the Mass Effect 3 ending, to the mediocrity of MOH: Warfighter and the Zynga-fication of the beloved Dungeon Keeper IP.

The idea that this defines the worst company in America is pathetic.

Never seen EA as evil, they're a business and when devs don't perform as they'd like creatively and financially then they can do what they want.

Vinc

I think they always had a constant stream of games I'm interested in, and the ones I'm not interested in make other people happy, so I'm not exactly sure they ever deserved to be called the worst company. From Dead Space to Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect, they certainly made me very happy last gen. And this gen is extremely promising with MEA, a new Mirror's Edge, and the way they're treating Star Wars. I'd say they've improved, yes, but I don't think they were bad before.

I don't know what can heal the wounds left by then closing Westwood and Origin (not the store). They have even managed to shut down Maxis since!

Yep.

They have great games in the pipeline.

SW Battlefront was amazing (no i didnt lack content)
More Star Wars games coming which im excited for.

And this year a new Battlefield in WW1 *.*

I'd be more hyped about Mirror's Edge if the story weren't so hokey. The whole Hyper-Consumerist Corpocratic Dystopia thing is impossible for me to take seriously.

"we have no time for remakes or remasters - we as a company like to push forward" - peter moore.

Now please enjoy Fifa 17, NFL and Battlefield, along with season pass 2 for Battlefront and new Fifa ultimate team content.

Please also enjoy a sequel to the commercial flop that was Mirrors Edge.

And to a game that makes our lineup look childish in Unravel.

And a fairly unique game in the crowded market that is know as the Garden Warfare

And let us give you an amazing service in EA access.

There's a lot of bad to EA and there's been a lot good this gen.

I treat them like any other publisher really. They are what they are.

I like EA more than I did in late-2000s early 2010s.

BF4 is fun, I like Battlefront, and I don't mind Origin. SimCity is nice even if limited, still fun. I enjoy Sims 3 a lot.

They've given out lots of free games on Origin too, even more than GOG has given e.g. got Jade Empire, Nox, Need for Speed MW, MOH Pacific Assault, Theme Hospital, and probably a bunch of other stuff for free.

As long as you buy into their games at more budget prices when the DLC is included and also on sale, I think their stuff can be looked at in a more positive way.

I find it difficult to complain about them atm. But I'm not that invested into most of their series and don't buy most of their games.

They've improved imo.

I have not touched a EA game since 2013. SSX and Syndicate were the last I played. I really liked both.

Single player Star Wars should be enough to bring me back if they get it right.

jrush64

Banned
Don't even remember the last EA game I bought willingly. No they haven't improved in my eyes and also screw them.

BibiMaghoo

They make some good games and they make some stinkers. Their evil shenanigans though have pretty much ended, and they try at an expense to give out a positive image these days. They get the thumbs up from me.

EA origins allows for 4 hour demos on certain games, full refunds and their EA access is insane value for money. I would say in this regard other companies can learn a lot from them.

Nope they still operate under the same business tactics that won them those awards but unfortunately acceptance for barebone amount of content and season passes grew among gamers over time.

Fox Mulder

I guess, in that I simply forgot they existed instead of the heat they got for ruining games years ago. I really can't recall the last EA game I got. SSX or NFS hot pursuit on the 360?

abracadaver

No

There is no new Dead Space, no new Burnout, no new Skate

Also they only release their games on fucking Origin.

I will not play any EA games until they are on Steam.

jelly

They refined themselves quite well and DICE has helped them immensely on many fronts, whether Mirrors Edge is a favour rather than experimenting who knows. Overall, value still kinda sucks but their games are very slick.

Angel_DvA

Haven't change one bit, just look at how they're handeling ME series and their season pass, still one of the worst in the gaming industry and Still number one in the US.

Nah, if anything I'd say they have grown more like Ubisoft in releasing safe, over focus-grouped games rather than taking risks and letting creative directors take risks and make new, divisive games.

Witcher 3 blows Dragon Age Inquisition out of the water, to the point where people completely forget the latter game came out last year.

Battlefront was shallow and more a case of "such potential, unfinished" than a great game. I even bought the gold digital edition and haven't touched it in weeks :(

The beta for Mirrors Edge catalyst was not good, no idea why they added open world to the game or why combat is so much more a focus in the sequel.

To me EA is now just a sequel factory and a sports game company, who happen to own the Star Wars gaming IP. I really hope they can deliver amazing games again with Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, and the new star wars games but I don't really have much confidence in them.

Ubisoft is the new evil. Compared to their output this gen, EA's been solid.

EA Access is a seriously stellar service.
Despite its launch issues, I've loved Battlefield 4, and am frothing for Battlefield 1.
I liked Dragon Age Inquisition
fight me
Plants vs. Zombies GW is pretty rad.
Titanfall is amazing.

And I'm very eager for their upcoming works - more Bioware, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge, Criterion's new project.

Kill3r7

Absolutely. EA Access is the best value in console gaming. That is a long way for a company that at one point locked MP behind a one time use code.

Tigress

Nope they still operate under the same business tactics that won them those awards but unfortunately acceptance for barebone amount of content and season passes grew among gamers over time.

Pretty much this. People just aren't as bothered by it. Ubisoft actually took advantage of is to be even worse and people barely raised a stink about it. Now people just take those tactics for granted that that is the way it is.

diaspora

Ubisoft is the new evil. Compared to their output this gen, EA's been solid.

EA Access is a seriously stellar service.
Despite its launch issues, I've loved Battlefield 4, and am frothing for Battlefield 1.
I liked Dragon Age Inquisition
fight me

Plants vs. Zombies GW is pretty rad.
Titanfall is amazing.

And I'm very eager for their upcoming works - more Bioware, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge, Criterion's new project.
Meh, most people liked Inquisition.

They gave us Garden Warfare and GW2. And Peggle 2. And Titanfall, and the ensuing sequel. EA access is decent, but I only paid $9 for three months. And Battlefield 1 will lead the path for mainstream FPS

So sure, why not.

Kadin

I'm not blind to the fact that they've done questionable things in the past, but I've never thought of them like many do - a bunch of swindlers, etc. I've enjoyed many of their games although I did avoid Star Wars Battlefront and that was a wise choice apparently.

Taker34

Banned
No, the only thing which has changed is that they know, we're more aware of their shitty business practices. They're more subtle now but between multiplayer only games, EA Access and the lack of remasters (new games only) you can still see the same scummy company which gracefully gave us "project ten dollar" among many other screw ups.

Not necessarily, it's just that Activision and Ubisoft really didn't like they weren't voted worst company ever and they are trying their best to put EA third

R3TRODYCE

They've become one of my favorite pubs right next to Ubisoft. I like them more than any of the pubs that make consoles so I would not be against a EA console but that would never happen.

Top Bottom