• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has EA improved in your eyes?

Menitta

There's another Mirrors Edge, so yes.

Might not be what I wanted, but I'll take what I can get. At least there are no guns.

Freeman

Banned
Not by much. I would love for them to lose exclusivity on the NFL license.

Their games lack polish and they'll ruin a franchise so they don't have to delay a game that isn't good.

On the other hand they are too risk averse when it comes to investing on non established franchise games.

Also, Bioware under their wing is just not the same company. Compare DA Inquisition (that is better than DA2 or ME3) to Witcher 3 and you can't deny they aren't a premiere studio anymore.

A good EA game is usually mediocre, better than Ubisoft I guess... Worse publisher than MS, Take Two, Sony, etc.

Fbh

I have no major problem with EA and am actually looking forward to see what they bring this E3.

After the shitstorm that was BF4 at launch I think they mostly got their act together and have released a bunch of large online games without major issues. I might not agree with their business model in games like Star Wars but thankfully I didn't need to buy at launch and I think it offered a fun game with enough content for the $30 I paid for it

Other than that I've enjoyed several of their recent games and I'm looking forward to several of their upcomming games

Meh, most people liked Inquisition.

Not around here

Kazooie

Banned
To be honest I never understood the hate for EA. The main EA games I played were FIFA and the games were always decent with a slick interface, good music and fully liscensed teams. 12 and 13 used to have server issues frequently but that's been stopped in the recent iterations and EA have clamped down on cheaters.

People can complain about Battlefront, but Battlefront 3 was in development hell for years and would never have been made if not for EA.

Why do people hate them?

Kordelle

I think they are a great publisher
-Titanfall
-EA Access
-Fully supporting BC instead of milking remasters
-Taking risks with BF1 (setting) and ME

mcz117chief

Once they bring back FMVs I will become a fan again. I really miss those so bad :(

I judge EA's games on a case-by-case basis, but I do miss live action videos a lot.

Pooya

Beside Mirror's Edge, they are extremely safe with what they greenlit, could be the last of its kind. The setting for Battlefield is interesting too, I think maybe that it's just DICE that has earned some creative freedom unlike everything else under EA. They're making a lot less games than before. Worst company ever was always hyperbole fueled by internet mob.

2008~2010 EA was considerably more interesting. The Star Wars games could be interesting but I can't exactly get excited over licensed games by EA, they have a dreadful history and Battlefront wasn't exactly my idea of a good game, maybe it works out for most people. I haven't touched a single EA game since DA:I and couldn't even finish that, I like to play Mirror's Edge some day, but not exactly excited or even followed it much. I don't really see many EA games in my future right now. They are like whatever to me, meh.

Aters

Well, they are so bad that everyone is screaming for ME remaster.
No I think EA is doing just fine. They are a big company, and as a big company, as long as they don't behave like a complete dickhead like Konami, I can tolerate their decisions even though I don't agree with them. Is there any big game company that still has a good publisher? SCE and MS probably, I can't think of anything else.

The only EA game I really care about is Mirror's Edge, but then, I'm LOVING the new Mirror's Edge.

EA's not that bad. Origin is a nice program with a nice interface. Their games are generally pretty polished and bug free compared to a lot of other AAA titles. And they own a lot of great studios.

They've also closed a lot of great studios, but they probably would have gone under by themselves far earlier had EA not stepped in.

carlsojo

The whole "EA voted the worst company in America" thing was really dumb and I never got on that bandwagon. Origin is great and the games are fine.

JBuccCP

They play it extremely safe like seemingly all the major publishers now, but I don't think there's been a year where I haven't enjoyed at least a couple of their games. Battlefield is my favorite fps series and EA access is awesome. I hope one day they bring their sports titles back to PC now that they're moving them all over to frostbite and they can slap Denuvo on everything.

ghostjoke

Banned
They're just there really. They could disappear and I wouldn''t bat an eye.

Inquisition has the dubious honour of somehow being worse than 2, but it didn't piss me off as much as 2.
Sims 4 I never even bothered with because I didn't want to start again for a 4th time.
Mirror's Edge isn't grabbing me despite there being several years of me eagerly wanting more.
Battlefield 1 could be interesting, but even then I've no real intention of playing it.

Maybe it's because they are no longer actively buying up companies that I care about and putting them out to pasture. I'm more willing to put the blame of current Bioware on Bioware than EA for some reason.

Lucumo

Other game companies have become worse, so they don't stand out that much anymore. So no, they have not improved.

EA have always been okay in my book. Their DLC practices are sort of shitty, but I've always enjoyed their games. I've always found that whole "worst company in America" hate campaign a bit cringey.

I've always liked and loved EA. Ubi is also amazing for doing big budget different. But nobody touches EA in any matter (scope, size, output, variety, you name it). What some outlets ignorantly point at, most devs around the world would give everything to be able to do what they do. The only third major publishers to join the group is Sony.

EA is the best.
Ubi is the most varied and surprising.
Sony is the most tech power.

etrain911

They're not nearly as bad as Zenimax or Gearbox. Do they engage in bad industry practices? Yes, but unfortunately those practices are now standard within the industry. Meanwhile, Origin has some of the best customer service I've ever seen, EA Access offers a lot if you care about the games EA publishes, and they're reviving a lot of great franchises.

They've achieved a marginal improvement IMO. Is hard for me to take them seriously, they've just made SOOO many dumb decisions and anti-consumer practices regarding their IP over the years. BF4's disastrous launch was the last straw for me personally, I promised myself that I would NEVER pre-order another EA game (or DICE for that matter), EVER again. The problem is they've just demonstrated time and time again that they can't release games in a complete, fully functional and stable state anymore. That and the vast majority of their games are very mediocre, like when was the last time they really truly created something amazing like Witcher 3 or Bloodbourne? Everything they create is a mediocre 7-8ish at best, nothing truly remarkable or memorable just a solid 'meh it's ok'. The only remotely interesting stuff they've done recently is EA Access and leveraging the Frostbite engine across their pool of developers. I could careless about the annual roster updates/sports games but I'd LOVE to see them actually take some real risks and work on some new IP instead of the yearly sports games and endless sequels. I'll be honest I'm cautiously optimistic for Mass Effect: Andromeda, TitanFall 2 and Battlefield but it would be awesome to see some genuinely new IP instead of seeing them SOLELY rely on annual sports games and sequels year after year after year. Create something new that we've never seen before EA, oh and QA the shit out of it I don't have the patience or tolerance anymore to wait 6+ months for your developers to identify and fix game-breaking bugs, glitches, networking issues and stability problems that should never have made it through QA let alone 2-3 rounds of certification, burnt onto a disk and then sold to paying consumers.

Not especially. The only upcoming game they're publishing I have any interest in is Titanfall 2, and frankly I don't think they have anything much to do with that, creatively. New Mass Effect might be interesting too, I guess.

I just don't play their recent games. They don't interest me, and I'm hardly some hipster who stays away from the AAA space. Their products feel too safe and unexciting, and I never play an EA game expecting any real degree of polish or even content value.

Lafazar

I actually... don't really know if they have improved. Because I do not seem to care about the games they are publishing anymore (they've become so very bland), so I didn't follow their games and their shenanigans.

But the overall impression I get is that the industry around them has just caught up to their shitty practices, so they don't stand out anymore. Each company with their own "specialties" and "strengths". Ubisoft is particularly great at lying about graphics and features in trailers, Activision is great at riding franchises into the ground, etc.

Which was another barebone content season pass selling cashgrab.

Get it for a fiver nearly a year after release with all content included. Felt like a good deal.

Also taught me to never buy MP shooters on Day 1. Better deals will come along.

And Konami have set such a recent and spectacularly low benchmark that basically every publisher looks god-like in comparison.

1115563.gif

They still haven't made up for all the companies they killed. Imagine the alternate universe where Maxis was still making quality Sim games, and Origin still got to make Ultima games with our next gen systems.

http://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-studios-ea-has-bought-and-then-shut-1689498614 said:
The Developer Death Toll so far

Maxis (SimCity) - Purchased by EA in 1997; shut down in 2015. [Though EA says the "Maxis" brand will live on—and the studio currently behind The Sims continues to use the label—the Emeryville-based development house that served as the main descendant of what Will Wright created back in 1987 is officially no more.]

Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2014.

Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - Purchased by EA in 1995; shut down in 2001.

Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - Purchased by EA in 1992; shut down in 2004.

Westwood (Command & Conquer) - Purchased by EA in 1998; shut down in 2003.

DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - Purchased by EA in 2000; shut down in 2013.

Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2013.

Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - Purchased by EA in 2002; shut down in 2013.

Pandemic (The Saboteur) - Purchased by EA in 2008; shut down in 2009.

PlayFish (The Sims Social) - Purchased by EA in 2009; shut down in 2013.

NuFX (NBA Street) - Purchased by EA in 2004; shut down in 2007.

I'm surprised Bioware has held out as well as it has.

jdstorm

Banned
There primary money maker is putting RNG Skinner boxes into games designed for children (FIFA/Madden Ultimate Team)

So in some ways they are actually worse.

However they are at least trying to make new games and New IPs so that's a plus

Blues1990

I haven't paid much attention to Electronic Arts within the last 4 years or so. Aside from the upcoming Mirror's Edge & the so-so Star Wars Battlefront, I don't know what else they are working on.

EA's been fine, but not as good as they used to be. I haven't cared about a racing game since they shelved Burnout (none of the NFS have scratched the same itch), and only Bioware games get me excited much anymore.

They occasionally have games come out that excite me (like the Mirrors Edge most recently), but it happens less often than it used to for me.
I never really got over Origin.

Really, though, that's just a big company doing big company shit. What can you do?
Origin was my biggest issue with EA for a while, but I've definitely cooled down on it. I still don't buy games from it, but if there's an EA PC game i want I'll buy it physically just to be safe.

And I can't complain about some of the free games I've gotten on Origin over the last few years: NFS: Most Wanted, Sim City 2000, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault, Battlefield: BC2, and Mercenaries 2 (those last two was an error, but still, free games!)

MrHoot

I mean, they haven't done anything outrageously bad or stupid recently. They've just contented themselves to just all around mediocre and forgettable so they kinda fly under the radar. That and other publishers took it upon themselves to shit the bed even harder (which is usually how it goes with AAA. Things don't get better, you just wait for another company to get even more shit)

Doesn't mean they've "improved" tho. They're still sitting on a mountain of problems and their shitty practice continues, only on lesser titles we care less about here

Strimei

I was never a huge fan of EA in the first place, so not really.

I'm sure Origin is far better than it was at its launch, but between that and ME3 back in the day, and their no longer putting new titles on Steam, I just pass over their stuff. Which isn't hard, since they really don't put out much I'm interested in anyway. So from glances I've taken from time to time, they seem about as they've always been.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Dragon's Age Origins was also bioware pre-EA.
The game was still under their banner and was designed specifically as a new Baldur's Gate game for years that they probably didn't see the value in redoing anything. Assuming they wanted to.

Ea access has made me a pretty happy man, still upset that there are so many op microtransactions in all of their games... But i cant complain since im only subscribing for the service and not buying the games to begin with. With all the games they offer for a yearly sub i find it hard to stay salty over microtransactions. I know other people have other problems with them, but that and rushing their games has always been my main problem and those have been resolved by not buying the games day 1 and subscribing to ea access.

Top Bottom