• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Halo 4 gotten better? (campaign)

the_master

I am playing the game again and I am having way, way more fun than when the game launched.

Have they tweaked the enemies in halo 4 recently?(last year or years)

-I feel like the dogs are easier and more fun to hit in the head: They look at you more, do more pauses in their movement, jump slowly enough to get an in air headshot and stop in place when shot if they are running, offering a nice 2 shot combo.

-Promethean knights seem less of a bullet sponge. If emptied a battle rifle or supressor mag, they get vulnerable for the kill.

-The same with jackals, they give more oportubities for headshots, and that makes fighting them more dynamic and fun.

I am replaying it in legendary and I am actually enjoying it a lot (it is the easiest legendary yet but it is quite good, not complaining at all about this)

If they have fixed it, I have restored my faith in them. If they did not and it was the same at launch, I see now that I was wrong and the game is way better than what I understood the first time arround.

Even if in general, open missions are missing, some of the missions are quite well thought and really cool, like infinity.
And some of the vehicles like the Mantis, the flying vehicle of the last mission, or the Mammoth are great additions to the saga and I hope to see them again on Infinite.

Dacon

Banned
Nah, all of the really annoying frustrating stuff from launch is still in there.

You're probably just a better player now than you were when you initially went through it. There's also the fact that youre either playing on Xbone or PC, which has much higher frames than og and therefore smoother more responsive controls.

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

Despite all the hate it gets for its multiplayer, Halo 4 had a strong campaign. One of the best in the series imo.

Comments like this bewilder me. As a Halo fanboy since the launch of CE, 4's campaign felt like a badly written fanfic that suffered across the board from terrible pacing, awful characters, and an offensively stupid ending. This all, of course, became even further exacerbated in 5.

343i gets far more credit than they deserve. Having played through Bungie's trilogy recently (including Reach), the difference in quality is incredible.

Skifi28

If only you could carry more than 5 bullets and didn't have to constantly break the pace scrounging for guns. One can only dream.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I don't think they've tweaked it; they might have squished some bugs or unintended behaviours, though. It's a decent enough romp from a gameplay perspective, but it has the most limited environments of any of the mainline series. If you play the numbered titles back to back, the shift once you hit 4 is pretty jarring - especially ammo economy. It didn't help that multiplayer was absolutely trash at launch, easily the worst in the series at that time. I heard they fixed it... but I'm not gonna waste my time seeing if they did or didn't.

vypermajik

Halo 4 is my favorite Halo game.

The story has such a dark tone to it, especially the ending. An entirely new race, with new weapons, was amazing. The sound, and the "heft" of the Spartan combat, particularly in multiplayer, is polished and refined.

I think it gets a lot of flack because people didn't like the Call of Duty eseque multiplayer scoring. Which I agree with, but everything else, is mater class.

Flame Shield ON! - Halo 4 is amazing. - YouTube

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
i thought it was the best campaign after reach lol
We have the same taste, Reach is my favorite with Halo 4 my 2nd favorite.

I also liked fighting the Promethians except that one level where it's a linear corridor with a never-ending massive heard of robot dogs continuously charging at you. Overall I thought they were far more diverse and interesting than the stupid repetitious Flood.

If you’re playing it on MCC, they updated all the 360 versions with buttery smooth 60FPS. That might be why it feels a lot better. Absolutely loved Halo 4. When they ported it to PC, I immediately went through it on legendary again. I love that more people are started to like it!

NinjaBoiX

It’s the best single player experience in the series.
Comments like this bewilder me. As a Halo fanboy since the launch of CE, 4's campaign felt like a badly written fanfic that suffered across the board from terrible pacing, awful characters, and an offensively stupid ending.
I couldn’t disagree more, this was the only Halo game where I felt engaged with the story. The previous games were always fun to play, but the story was presented in such a tedious way that I just lost interest.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I dont get where all the hate comes for this game. Was a good single player experience and the graphics at the time were mind blowing on the 360. I only had one play through of it but that’s the same with the other halos for me.

Mmnow

It's a sentiment I'm seeing more and more.

I think Halo 4 and 5 are getting the Star Wars Prequels treatment. Years on from the initial hardcore reaction colouring everything, new players are realising they're not absolute trash. That doesn't mean they're perfect, or even close to, but that doesn't mean they're awful either.

VanEs

I really liked Halo 4 as well. And I could certainly appreciate the increase in graphical quality while maintaining a more consistent framerate; unlike Reach and its frequent framedrops/judder.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
It possibly just feels better after the absolute train wreck that was Halo 5.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nope. Still a disappointing game that his lots of plot crucial information in expanded media. Halo 5 was worse, but neither are good examples of what Halo can be.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I always liked it. It's a fun shooter campaign but it really does lack that halo feel at times. It's disappointing in that regard So it rightfully gets some hate.

I think people are way too harsh on it though.

Starhowl

I can't see the point here. I know it might not have been the best part in the series, but it was still an awesome, brushed and polished production ending the Xbox 360 era with fireworks!

PnCIa

Dont think they tweaked the enemies....but the game is in need of tweaking, or a mod, that makes it more fluid.

- Promethean enemies need to signal what type they are more clearly -> in fast combat, it all becomes a bit of a blur, the art design does not help here because while the game is beautiful, it all flows into each other too much.
- Projectile tracking is way too strong
- Prometheans need some kind of interesting "social dynamic" aside from the watcher/knight/revival system.
- Weapons are very samey, Promethean shotgun, Promethean BR...

Overall, it is just not such a fluid experience as Bungies Halo games. It is fun to play through, but i do not want to jump into a level just to play like in past Halo games.

Last edited:
it was never bad.

halo 4 + 5 are the best halo games.

If you’re playing it on MCC, they updated all the 360 versions with buttery smooth 60FPS. That might be why it feels a lot better. Absolutely loved Halo 4. When they ported it to PC, I immediately went through it on legendary again. I love that more people are started to like it!
buttery smooth and 60fps should not be in the same sentence unless you're pointing out how 60fps isn't buttery smooth

go play at 120-240fps and come back to say 60fps is buttery smooth. after playing at 144fps playing 60fps hurts my eyes.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

it was always good, like all the halo games. people just shat on it bc its popular and were holding it up to ridiculous standards.

No overt design changes were made when porting Halo 4 to the MCC. The game is as it was.

I enjoy most of Halo 4, but the latter third of the story just collapses in terms of quality. Plus the ending resolution with the main villain is narratively terrible in every way.

small_law

No, it's still the same fundamentally flawed effort from a studio that didn't understand its source material. I think the only reason anyone liked it was because it was their first true exposure to Halo and they've kept a candle burning for it.

go play at 120-240fps and come back
Bugs Bunny No GIF

Kev Kev

people forget that halo 3 was heavily shat on when it was released. halo reach was shat on even more so. yet many people look back fondly on both of those games now. halo 4 and 5 will be no different.

S0ULZB0URNE

Comments like this bewilder me. As a Halo fanboy since the launch of CE, 4's campaign felt like a badly written fanfic that suffered across the board from terrible pacing, awful characters, and an offensively stupid ending. This all, of course, became even further exacerbated in 5.

343i gets far more credit than they deserve. Having played through Bungie's trilogy recently (including Reach), the difference in quality is incredible.
It was like a weak wannabe halo ce with pretty graphics.
Series has been on the decline ever since.

Not as good as bungies games, but much better then the shit that was halo 5, its like they forgot how to make a halo game lol. They need to split halo campaign and multi player, give them to 2 different dev teams. I Dont expect much from halo infinite,

Last edited:

JimboJones

From what I remember the levels in the game felt cramped and small. Feels like a corridor shooter compared to older games in the series.

Top Bottom